Narrow win... but should have been more

Let's not be churlish though, a very important 3 points. Here are my marks out of ten...

Budz: 7 - Not called on too much, a fairly easy game in the sticks and dealt with anything that came his way.

Hines: 7 - Looked comfortable on the ball, fitted in well but was caught napping for their goal.

Hazell: 8 - Did the usual, mopped up behind Gregan as per, win most of his headers kept his consistancy.

Gregan: 8 - Rock solid as usual. All the defence was statuesque for their goal but we'll gloss over that. El Capitano back to his strutting, arrogant best.

Golbourne: 8 - Looked a real threat and kept Northampton on the back foot with his probing runs.

Eardley: 7 - At times didn't know what his role really was but never looked that out of place either. I don't think a long illustrious career in midfield awaits him however.

Maher: 9 - Man of the match! 2 superb set pieces, 2 goals. In fact, practically all the set pieces were put in the right areas and we looked a danger at them for the first time this season. Didn't really put a foot wrong and teamed with Allott well to boss midfield in large periods.

Allott: 8 - Combined well with Maher, broke their play up and the lad is showing what won him player of last season award.

Smalley: 8 - Licence to roam. Switched flanks well. Faded a little as the game wore on but thought he put a good shift in. Only a brilliant goalline clearance stopping him scoring in the first half.

Hughes: 7 - Not a vintage game by his standards. Was offside when hit the post, and ran the ball out of play a couple of times. Still, held the ball up reasonably and wasn't a bad game as such.

Windass: 8 - Fully deserved his goal. Bullet header which zoomed into the back of the net. Showed moments of sheer quality along with a couple of moments of absolute cack, but on the whole a pleasing game and milked that celebration.

Liddell: 6 - Last minute corner flag routine.

Whittaker: 7 - Couple of good passes, but did enough to help us secure the points.

Great victory given the other results amongst rivals. Another positive result next Saturday at Yeovil would put us in a great position.

Let's not be churlish though, a very important 3 points. Here are my marks out of ten...

Budz: 7 - Not called on too much, a fairly easy game in the sticks and dealt with anything that came his way.

Hines: 7 - Looked comfortable on the ball, fitted in well but was caught napping for their goal.

Hazell: 8 - Did the usual, mopped up behind Gregan as per, win most of his headers kept his consistancy.

Gregan: 8 - Rock solid as usual. All the defence was statuesque for their goal but we'll gloss over that. El Capitano back to his strutting, arrogant best.

Golbourne: 8 - Looked a real threat and kept Northampton on the back foot with his probing runs.

Eardley: 7 - At times didn't know what his role really was but never looked that out of place either. I don't think a long illustrious career in midfield awaits him however.

Maher: 9 - Man of the match! 2 superb set pieces, 2 goals. In fact, practically all the set pieces were put in the right areas and we looked a danger at them for the first time this season. Didn't really put a foot wrong and teamed with Allott well to boss midfield in large periods.

Allott: 8 - Combined well with Maher, broke their play up and the lad is showing what won him player of last season award.

Smalley: 8 - Licence to roam. Switched flanks well. Faded a little as the game wore on but thought he put a good shift in. Only a brilliant goalline clearance stopping him scoring in the first half.

Hughes: 7 - Not a vintage game by his standards. Was offside when hit the post, and ran the ball out of play a couple of times. Still, held the ball up reasonably and wasn't a bad game as such.

Windass: 8 - Fully deserved his goal. Bullet header which zoomed into the back of the net. Showed moments of sheer quality along with a couple of moments of absolute cack, but on the whole a pleasing game and milked that celebration.

Whittaker: 7 - Couple of good passes, but did enough to help us secure the points.

Great victory given the other results amongst rivals. Another positive result next Saturday at Yeovil would put us in a great position.

Your being very generous, Jamie.

You were watching a different game than me....As usual that was another poor performance against a rank bad side.

We don't impose ourselves enough on these games and at 2 v 1 it could have gone against us but luckily it didn't!!

Just what Hines brought to the team that Eardley doesn't...god only knows. We don't need the guy..simple as!!!

I'm sorry but for me, the only good thing about today was the three points and the poor form of our nearest rivals!!

We're going to have to perform so much better than that if we're to get out of this division!!!

You were watching a different game than me....As usual that was another poor performance against a rank bad side.

We don't impose ourselves enough on these games and at 2 v 1 it could have gone against us but luckily it didn't!!

Just what Hines brought to the team that Eardley doesn't...god only knows. We don't need the guy..simple as!!!

I'm sorry but for me, the only good thing about today was the three points and the poor form of our nearest rivals!!

We're going to have to perform so much better than that if we're to get out of this division!!!

???????

It could confortably have been 4 or 5 nil from the chances we missed. How does that equate to a bad performance? Before their goal, how many shots had Northampton had, one maybe? They were bouyed by a goal they didn't deserve and on another day we would have had all 3 points rapped up well before half time. No pleasing some people.

I wasnt there... but I have seen us play Nothampton numerous times, and the usual trick is to batter the right full back (eardley normally) with an assualt of high balls to Holt et al... I assumed Hines was playing there today to cover this.

He isnt normally a right back, obviously, but I thought this was a good piece of tactics by Mr Shez.

I wasn't too impressed with Hines, his passing was poor although he looked like he could a good player on another day - 6.

Maher was good but I think he needs to cut down on the fancy sliced passes. I've no problem with them but he does it when it isn't necessary/suitable - 8.

Allot shades MOTM.

Greegs isn't back to his best, although is still excellent. His best includes calmly bringing the ball out of defence and inch perfect passes for the wingers to run on to. Although defensively solid he has recently been 'hoofing' it a lot.

I'd agree with the rest although Lidds having the solitary 6 is a bit harsh! 7 :tongue1:

Interesting comments about Hines. On LaticsWorld they were using phrases such as "premiership quality", "calm and composed" etc.

I thought he looked pretty good defensively, although caught a little for the goal. Going forward he wasn't as confortable running with the ball, but he rarely lost it to be fair. Calm and composed is a fair assessment.

???????

It could confortably have been 4 or 5 nil from the chances we missed. How does that equate to a bad performance? Before their goal, how many shots had Northampton had, one maybe? They were bouyed by a goal they didn't deserve and on another day we would have had all 3 points rapped up well before half time. No pleasing some people.

I am pleased, with the three points, but yes we should have murdered them...But once again we didn't did we!!!

I am pleased, with the three points, but yes we should have murdered them...But once again we didn't did we!!!

That doesn't mean it was a bad or even average performance though. There was nothing wrong with the way we played, a little more clinical or even with just a bit more luck and it could have been a cricket score.

2-1 = 3 points

76-0 = 3 points

A few weeks ago Shez was murdered on here for drawing with Swindon, we won today, we did enough to get the 3 points and at this stage of the season that is all that matters.

2-1 = 3 points

76-0 = 3 points

A few weeks ago Shez was murdered on here for drawing with Swindon, we won today, we did enough to get the 3 points and at this stage of the season that is all that matters.

You could make an argument that 76-0 would be worth 3.5 points. The basis being that it would give us a better GD than any other team, and GD is like an extra 1/2 point.

However I know the point you are making - and 3 home points against a 'lesser' team is great news. However you do feel that we need a good thumping home win for confidence.

You know, comments like yours just confound me. What on earth is it you want of a game? a 10-0 win?

We created chance after chance today, a lot more than we created against Swindon, Carlisle and Brighton. In all honesty, we actually looked a threat going forward and the only thing we could possibly be knocked for is not being clearer in front by taking more of the chances. It wasn't a vintage performance by any stretch, but it was more than enough to put them away and for once we looked like a team chasing promotion clinically despatching a side out there for the taking.

My marking may be a tad generous, but I feel about right given the chances we created.

You could make an argument that 76-0 would be worth 3.5 points. The basis being that it would give us a better GD than any other team, and GD is like an extra 1/2 point.

However I know the point you are making - and 3 home points against a 'lesser' team is great news. However you do feel that we need a good thumping home win for confidence.

I was going to put a caveat about gd on my post but decided against it. If we had won 5-0 it would have made up for Hereford away but a gritty 2-1 against mediocre opposition stops the players getting carried away and hopefully makes them put a performance in next time rather than thinking we win by turning up.

Very happy to win, considering the other results. We were awful today though, can't believe anyone would think that we played well. Very few of our players looked interested, we just cannot seem to get motivated to beat the lower teams.

Thought Smalley did brilliantly, but the poor lad was doing Windass and Hughes' running for them.

Whitaker definately lifted it when he came on, would like to see him back in the side despite Maher looking more and more comfortable in that central position.

Very happy to win, considering the other results. We were awful today though, can't believe anyone would think that we played well. Very few of our players looked interested, we just cannot seem to get motivated to beat the lower teams.

Thought Smalley did brilliantly, but the poor lad was doing Windass and Hughes' running for them.

Whitaker definately lifted it when he came on, would like to see him back in the side despite Maher looking more and more comfortable in that central position.

So Dean,coco, and the corp are going on holiday tomorrow and are leaving you in charge :wink:

What did we get from that game?

1) 3 points (when on too many occasions this season that sort of performance got us a point at home)

2) We used a plan B

3) Windass scored

What frustrated me?

1) The commitment of last week wasn't at the same level this week.

2) Yet again we were 2-0 up and conceded - 3rd time in 4 home games we've let a position of comfort become edgy (though in fairness we have won those 3 games!)

3) The referee was an over fussy incompetent idiot

Summary:

Job done, 3 points in the bag, should be killing off games like that earlier and need to 'make it happen' more next time round.

What did we get from that game?

1) 3 points (when on too many occasions this season that sort of performance got us a point at home)

2) We used a plan B

3) Windass scored

What frustrated me?

1) The commitment of last week wasn't at the same level this week.

2) Yet again we were 2-0 up and conceded - 3rd time in 4 home games we've let a position of comfort become edgy (though in fairness we have won those 3 games!)

3) The referee was an over fussy incompetent idiot

Summary:

Job done, 3 points in the bag, should be killing off games like that earlier and need to 'make it happen' more next time round.

was more than happy with todays performance,considering it wasnt against the top of the league,and in the past we have lost these kind of games,yes it wasnt as fast paced as last week...but nobody can say they just coasted along and were not interested,if people think that then i really dont know what they expect from a game of football at our level.

i said as much to the knob behind me who critiscised everything today,hughes not closing down the keeper was called a lazy bastard,hines waste of a loan,new keeper cant kick for toffee,windass goes on his arse too many times,smalleys a headless chicken etc etc etc....

i said if i was you id watch the second half elswhere,because if you spout anymore of that :censored: in the second half ill throw you down the steps....needless to say he moved.

keeper did well considering he basically turned up and did warm up with the team

hines,although at times looked a little lost,and not sure who to pick up from set pieces,did fine,im sure if he is here longer he will get a good understanding with the other defenders,plus he has height that eardly doesnt.

plus he gives us lots more options of changing systems around,hazell isnt far off a ban so good cover,seeing as shez has been tracking him for 12 months,he may be another one to sign if we go up,as is jones.

yes we could of scored lots and lots of goals,but again an over fussy ref and linesman,and another good display from there keeper,but the good thing is we are creating the chances in the first place,if we wasnt creating we could moan.

also pleased were passing it on the floor a lot more than just humping it forward,when we do this we play well.

was pleased whitts came on and put himself about a bit,was the right time as midfield needed waking up a bit,but still would use him as a sub,few more good 10 mins like that may just put him back to his best.

all in all an excellent day,results went for us,and were still in the mix,well done the lads.

i said as much to the knob behind me who critiscised everything today,hughes not closing down the keeper was called a lazy bastard,hines waste of a loan,new keeper cant kick for toffee,windass goes on his arse too many times,smalleys a headless chicken etc etc etc....

In defence of this guy:

1) Hughes wasn't stunning today

2) Hines didn't do much (but I think he'll be ok)

3) The keeper hit two consecutive kicks straight in to touch at one stage

4) Windass was on the deck a lot trying to claim a free kick

5) Smalley does have a habit of running down a blind alley at times.

I forgot to add a couple of points to my post above:

On the good side: WE SCORED FROM A CORNER AND A FREE KICK THAT WAS LIKE A CORNER!!! YAY!!!!

On the duff side: WOULDN'T MIND A GOAL FROM OPEN PLAY LADS.