Beyond The Boundary

Joe apparently didn't like BTB but I suspect Alan Hardy had more to do with it. We were mentioned in the programme notes as being "anti-club and anti-player" which was completely untrue. It went on to say that we were perhaps Blackburn Rovers fans "determined to undermine the success at BP". It was really quite pathetic but we countered it by putting 'The voice of Blackburn Rovers Fans' on the front cover with Blackburn Rovers crossed out and Oldham Athletic written in.

It is worth pointing out that Joe dislikes fanzines, radio phone-ins, messageboards and their ilk and famously, is not overkeen on female officials. "I'm not sexist but I don't approve of female officials in professional football. How can they make accurate decisions if they have never been tackled from behind by a 14st centre-half"

Whilst I am aware your appetite to produce BTB is that of an anorexic after a carvery and that maybe it's best left in it's sleep. But have you never been swayed since or had the urge to especially after some incident as triggered a great idea for an article?. Why not do an annual with profits to OWTB or the Trust?

Edited by Lags

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe apparently didn't like BTB...

It is worth pointing out that Joe dislikes fanzines, radio phone-ins, messageboards and their ilk and famously, is not overkeen on female officials. "I'm not sexist but I don't approve of female officials in professional football. How can they make accurate decisions if they have never been tackled from behind by a 14st centre-half"

Perhaps the new fanzine should be called Mouldy Old Joe? :lol:

Thanks to everyone who has PMed me and talked about it on here. It was kind of a plan to dip my toe in and see what a response would be like and I think it's generally appreciated that it'd be a good idea to officially launch JKITW, as a kind of 'younger son' of Beyond The Boundary.

I need to get my head around the software that I've set the account up with first, which knowing what I'm like with software applications will leave me being :censored:-scared of it for a week or so, and then being completely fine with it after that (Rummy, I could be speaking to you semi-regularly mithering for help and general advice on geekstuff if that's alright!)

I think it won't be properly ready with decent content until around Summertime, but in the meantime feel free to contact me with ideas for features, article ideas, articles, cartoons and even just general sparks of creativity as they wake up at 4 in the morning suddenly going "Eureka" (Or Ulrika, if that's what lights your candle). Anything will very much be greatly appreciated, as long as you bear in mind the below mandate...

• Keep it different to what you'd see and read on here, officially from the club or in the local rags.
  • Add an undertone (or downright bleedin' overtone) of humour to it. The darker the better for me really!
  • Keep it well written. I'm impressed with good punctuation, grammar and fancy words (Even if I don't always display that posting on the boards myself!).
  • A bit of a no-brainer but on no accounts do I want to see a hatchet job done on anyone linked with OAFC. Poking regular fun at players, managers, mascots, stewards, turnstile operators and Oldham Chronicle reporters is completely fine, but as no-one really will support me once I'm dealing with my Ian Hislop-sized sack of threatening court letters, I'd like to avoid that if possible!
  • Send any articles as word documents to jaymee_sfa@hotmail.com. I'll set up a new email address specifically for JKITW in due course but send them there for now. You could even just email so say hello so I can build up a database of willing/budding writers if you so wish.
And of course, keep those memories of BTB flowing through here. It's certainly brilliant to read about them by people with such fondness for it.

Cheers!

PS - Oh Pete, thanks for getting in touch through the medium of these here messageboards. Great to have your input, thoughts and memories on something that was so good. You'll probably recall me around 1992-ish selling BTB for a short period along with my mate Mike Spencer (who sadly died about 10 years ago).

Whilst I am aware your appetite to produce BTB is that of an anorexic after a carvery and that maybe it's best left in it's sleep. But have you never been swayed since or had the urge to especially after some incident as triggered a great idea for an article?. Why not do an annual with profits to OWTB or the Trust?

There have been a number of occasions when I've thought "BTB would have a field day with this", but the thought of knocking an issue together again fills me with dread. It's also pretty expensive to produce and I'm pleased to say that I never had to dip into the housekeeping to pay the printer but there were times when it was pretty close!

I'm going to have a look in the loft for the 'Best of BTB' I knocked together, if it still looks OK I might knock a few more out.

There have been a number of occasions when I've thought "BTB would have a field day with this", but the thought of knocking an issue together again fills me with dread. It's also pretty expensive to produce and I'm pleased to say that I never had to dip into the housekeeping to pay the printer but there were times when it was pretty close!

I'm going to have a look in the loft for the 'Best of BTB' I knocked together, if it still looks OK I might knock a few more out.

I remember when you used to offer passed issues for free in BTB if you provided postage, If there is a few duplicates can i put my name at the top of the list?

I remember when you used to offer passed issues for free in BTB if you provided postage, If there is a few duplicates can i put my name at the top of the list?

I'm afraid the last of the spare copies disappeared some time ago. I've been in the loft and found the 'Best of' artwork so I'll knock a couple up and see if anyone's interested.

Frankly Mr Shankly - I'm really sorry to hear about Mike, I remember you both well. I don't know if you'd get Harry to contribute, he's not very computer literate. I'd be happy to have a look through some old BTB's to see if there's anything you can use that isn't too dated and I can probably alter some material to suit the present.

You're right about warning people against hatchet jobs. There were a few times when I had to get the red pen out. Good luck anyway, I'll keep a note of your email address.

Aye had a few bits and bobs in BTB, mainly re hashing the articles wot I rote for JK Latics, different cover - same old she-ite !!

Talking of BTB I always used to enjoy the ramblings of Brassneck meself, who was a man of mystery I believe, I'm sure Pete told me that he didn't know the identity of Mr Brassneck and that articles just turned up in the post. Maybe I imagined that tho'.

Wasn't the edition of BTB that caused offence with in the corridors of power the one that had Andy Rhodes pished up driving what looked like a Noddy car? After he'd been in trouble with the old bill. Again maybe dreamt this up too, but I'm sure I remember somebody in the Chaddy showing Mr Rhodes the cover and him having a right good chuckle whilst mouthing "you bastards" at the CE in general.

I also used to visit Sportspages on a regular basis, as did Inspectormorose, I know because we were talking about it a few home games ago. There were some quality publications back them, in no particular order:

The Flashing Blade - Sheff Utd

Boddle - Sheff Wed - taking Wednesday into insanity, one edissue had a few tea bag, one a free sheet of bog roll.

Leyton Orientier - quality writing but also excellent for the "They're happy because they eat Lard" spoof advert, applied to all (fatty) Stoke fans.

Memoirs of Seth Bottomley - Port Vale, possibly my favourite, some excellent writing.

The Tea Party - Stockport

Grorty Dick - WBA

A Love Supreme - Sunnerlan

WWYATS - Bury, a bit thin at times, but still no bad.

Note to self must have a rummage in storage boxes and get scanning.

I bought that Orient 'zine when we played down there in the FA Cup that time. Their kit then was some monstrosity which was red, but had a thick black/white barcode band across the middle and the numbers on the back yellow. I'm sure that led to the fanzine encouraging a song called "Peter Eustace's red, white and black with a little yellow number on the back army!"

Yes early 90's Leyton Orientier, they also tried to encourage a song "We are mad, we're insane, we eat Mars bars on the train na na na na etc", but maybe they ripped that direct from Viz too, like it matters a one iota !!

It was merely an amusing thread that ran for some time mocking the general chubbiness of Stokies.

Let he that has never plagiarised cast the first stone eh?

Edited by StipeTripe

Wasn't the edition of BTB that caused offence with in the corridors of power the one that had Andy Rhodes pished up driving what looked like a Noddy car? After he'd been in trouble with the old bill. Again maybe dreamt this up too, but I'm sure I remember somebody in the Chaddy showing Mr Rhodes the cover and him having a right good chuckle whilst mouthing "you bastards" at the CE in general.

wasn't this a xmas editon ... got this one sure the cover will appear soon. (not tonight off to Wembley)