Beyond The Boundary

I loved BTB, was constantly asking my dad each home game if BTB was out, couldnt wait for the next issue. I think i remember correctly, wasnt Hardy against the BTB as it proved more popular than the matchday programme??? i think thats why they could only sell the fanzine outside the ground??

Im wondering if it becomes a success and once its on its feet, is there a chance it could be turned into print? say a release every two home games or so, just put in the stuff put on the website, maybe add a few orginial articles or whatever to justify paying for stuff which could be free if it was just the stuff off the internet??

Saying this, im sure didnt the old one finish due to printing costs? or was it that it was too time consuming?

Edited by Oafc88

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a roundabout way this thread has reminded me of a small weatherman with a very silly Scottish accent and thick glasses sitting smashed out his skull at a party, rambling on none stop about his fantasy of an orgy with a bunch of leather clad biker nuns.

Your parties are getting legendary LL.

First Gary Linekar, then this...

I loved BTB, was constantly asking my dad each home game if BTB was out, couldnt wait for the next issue. I think i remember correctly, wasnt Hardy against the BTB as it proved more popular than the matchday programme??? i think thats why they could only sell the fanzine outside the ground??

Im wondering if it becomes a success and once its on its feet, is there a chance it could be turned into print? say a release every two home games or so, just put in the stuff put on the website, maybe add a few orginial articles or whatever to justify paying for stuff which could be free if it was just the stuff off the internet??

Saying this, im sure didnt the old one finish due to printing costs? or was it that it was too time consuming?

I think it was probably more time consuming than costs. I mean, you can cover your costs by just inching the price of the fanzine up (I know people who do music 'zines and they keep it below £1 a pop). It's more to do with selling it around the ground and that before a game. I used to sell BTB around 1991/92 (Back of the RRE) when I were a lad, but I don't have much desire to stand in the pissing rain now flogging it.

I think it could be a go-er in print, probably sold at a couple of pre-match pubs and a small run done each time. It'd be nice that, I miss fanzines a lot and it's something you used to see at any ground you went to. In fact, sportspages in Manchester used to sell ones from around the country and I always used to get a couple if I was strolling through St Annes Square. I think I'd need to get hold of a copy of Quark express first but you never know.

Cheers Rummy - You have the job of art director, you're a far better banner maker than me!

Me too. I loved it - especially "Away Goals Count Double". Who used to write that page?

Whatever happened to andrewoafc from JKLatics? He did some very witty and sardonic stuff around the summer of evilness.

He used to sit behind me up in the Lookers but sadly, not for him, he no longer attends games. A couple of seasons or so back he had enough. Disillusioned, uninterested, dare I say it lost the faith? He did make a one off appearance after his exile but soon realised that he made the right decision and he didn't miss the place at all.

Sad as he was/is a great guy with an amazing wit but as this season has gone on I felt more and more like joining him. At the time I couldn't get my head around how anyone could turn their back on BP. Now I can't believe how many can stay so loyal.

Anyway wouldn't surprise me if he logs on here from time to time.

E4e

ANDRW

I used to contribute regularly, did a few interviews with Dowie, Ritchie, Warnock (!), Vic Halom and amazingly Jim Fryatt over the phone from his home in USA.

I did quite a few other articles, great games, terrible games, that sort of thing, and would be up for helping out again if needed.

I'm not sure if Pete Mason comes on here. I think someone posts as Lincoln Blue, where he lives (or at least he used to) but I don't know whether that's him or not.

Incidentally,Big Joe used to hate it with a passion and I'm sure he was behind the decision behind it's sale in the ground, although I could be wrong.

Think Harry Crompton masqueraded as Kaptain Klueless way back then.

They ran a bus from the, now long demolished, Auld Lang and Black Horse pubs on Manchester St a couple of times at the start of the 90/91 season. Wolves away and Barnsley away.

Memory serves, Harry turned up for the Barnsley one showing solidarity for his Yorkshire mining brothers in arms. He was wearing his tangerine scarf, docs, jeans and a donkey jacket on which he had scrawled, in chalk, "King Arfur rules ok".

All went well until Harry was punted from the away end for selling BTB as 20 foot up a wall there was a sign saying under club rules, section C, subsection H, clause 73(f), only official club publications were to be sold in the ground.

Not one to be deterred by such draconian bylaws he relocated himself to the home end, behind the goal, still with his jacket on where various knuckledraggers apparently gave him a wide berth thinking that he was some sort of escapee from a nut house or an Oldham ninja such was his audacity and apparent zen like calm. :blink:

I think it was probably more time consuming than costs. I mean, you can cover your costs by just inching the price of the fanzine up (I know people who do music 'zines and they keep it below £1 a pop). It's more to do with selling it around the ground and that before a game. I used to sell BTB around 1991/92 (Back of the RRE) when I were a lad, but I don't have much desire to stand in the pissing rain now flogging it.

I think it could be a go-er in print, probably sold at a couple of pre-match pubs and a small run done each time. It'd be nice that, I miss fanzines a lot and it's something you used to see at any ground you went to. In fact, sportspages in Manchester used to sell ones from around the country and I always used to get a couple if I was strolling through St Annes Square. I think I'd need to get hold of a copy of Quark express first but you never know.

Cheers Rummy - You have the job of art director, you're a far better banner maker than me!

Yeah i know what you mean, dont think id fancy standing around when it's pissing it down or crappy conditions (more often than not at bp). I think selling it in the pubs could work as that way, ud be able to have a pint, and the odd time get up and walk around and try to sell it.

Best of luck with it anyway, like i say i loved BTB and have yearned for it or something similar to return again. Like someone else said (and i cant really have experience as im only 20) they used to be at every club being sold. It would be a shame to see this die off, if it already hasnt!!! (though im sure a couple of clubs still do one??)

I did a few BTB bits and pieces but a little known fact is that it wasn't the first Latics fanzine. I think I'm right to say that title goes to "View From Afar" which was distributed free to OASIS members back around 1990. I still have them somewhere, all starring Dufflecoat Dan's spiritual cousin; Bill Chimney.

I was only young at the time (28 now) and me my mates sang John Kettley is weatherman, I'm sure we did. Or has this gone right over my head ? :huh:

That's right, but John Kelly was a Latics player. Hence, Latics fans sung "John Kelly is..."

And I'm 28 too!

Blimey, you go away for the weekend and everybody starts talking about you! I've only just been told about this thread.

I think I should explain that I'm Pete, formerly of BTB. There are some very kind comments on here about the fanzine, thanks very much, I appreciate it.

Harry and Brian Green who were also involved are still big Latics fans and are ST holders in the Main Stand. Brian was responsible for Away Goals Count Double on the inside back page as well as writing other stuff. Harry mainly did View From the Terraces, which was the double page photo captions that were very popular. We all chipped in with other stuff but essentially it was for Latics fans to contribute to.

I remember going to Blackburn away and in the pub before the game, we were handed various bits of paper from people eager to contribute. We were also given a series of photos of Latics fans on the Town Hall steps showing their backsides ("If Latics ever get to Wembley I'll show my a*** on the Town Hall steps etc"). We used that on the front of issue 16 (my personal fave by the way). I like to think we used everything we were given.

I'm sorry to hear about Andrew 'losing the faith', he wrote one of the best articles we ran in the early days, 'A Series of Misfortunes' about Latics exploits (or the lack of them) in the FA and League Cup. It was written in September 1989 and we all know what we went on to after that!

I'm sure Andrew wouldn't mind me quoting from it now -

"1967 arrived and we bedecked ourselves in kaftan and lovebeads for a journey to the land of the beautiful people, Workington, a struggle which necessitated a second replay on a neutral ground. The Football League studied their atlas carefully to find a spot equidistant from the two clubs and naturally enough chose Carlisle. Just up the road in fact. Their knowledge of geography was equal to our expectations. We lost"

Classic.

I did once knock together a 'Best of BTB' which I think I've still got the artwork for. If I thought there was enough interest in a reprint, I'd be happy to dig it out.

Once again, thanks for your kind comments. I really enjoyed being the Editor but far too many days in the pouring rain had to bring it to an end.

I did once knock together a 'Best of BTB' which I think I've still got the artwork for. If I thought there was enough interest in a reprint, I'd be happy to dig it out.

Pete, no doubt you found it difficult to choose which of my song lyrics should fill the odd corner in your 'Best of BTB'. :wink: The 'Hi Ho da Silva Scoring' song went down very well in the Manchester pole-dancing bar at Blackpool, and on Saturday at Orient, when the repertoire of old songs was being aired, that one was actually suggested. B)

I was reading issue No. 51 today about the Isle of Man '97 with my account and the version by the composer of the Gregan song.

Happy days! :grin:

I was reading issue No. 51 today about the Isle of Man '97 with my account and the version by the composer of the Gregan song.

Happy days! :grin:

yeah remember reading that as a sweet and innocent 16 year old and taking a while to figure out what the asterisked word was in the song. "no it can't be that, no-one'd do that, that's just disgusting." :shock: BTB was great, i was sorry to see it finish, we could do with its gallows humour at the moment.

I did a couple of things for BTB, towards the end of its life.

Sorely missed, IMO.

BTB was a brilliant read. I've got everyone somewhere.

We'd be top of the league if it was still around.

Didn't Joe have issues with it and it was banned from being sold in the club shop.

There was a rival fanzine around for a while I seem to remember.

Ah happy days.

Didn't Joe have issues with it and it was banned from being sold in the club shop.

Ah happy days.

mouldy old dough came at around the demise of BTB - originally i think to rival it, got a few of those around aswell - was alright but not as good as BTB

Ah happy days.

Joe apparently didn't like BTB but I suspect Alan Hardy had more to do with it. We were mentioned in the programme notes as being "anti-club and anti-player" which was completely untrue. It went on to say that we were perhaps Blackburn Rovers fans "determined to undermine the success at BP". It was really quite pathetic but we countered it by putting 'The voice of Blackburn Rovers Fans' on the front cover with Blackburn Rovers crossed out and Oldham Athletic written in.

It is worth pointing out that Joe dislikes fanzines, radio phone-ins, messageboards and their ilk and famously, is not overkeen on female officials. "I'm not sexist but I don't approve of female officials in professional football. How can they make accurate decisions if they have never been tackled from behind by a 14st centre-half"