is three years enough ?

Just like to make a point...

Many people said Shez had long enough to get us up... Quite shocking I feel that we now feel three years is enough! I would of thought as a club we would realise more than most how long success can take to achieve... Considering the Royle and Frizzle years...

So how long has the next guy got to get it right ? We going to continue to chop and change every two or so years ?

Many people said Shez had long enough to get us up... Quite shocking I feel that we now feel three years is enough! I would of thought as a club we would realise more than most how long success can take to achieve... Considering the Royle and Frizzle years...

So how long has the next guy got to get it right ? We going to continue to chop and change every two or so years ?

The reason some people say that three years was enough is because of all the talk of there being a five year plan to get us promoted.

Personally, I'm not sure if the owners ever actually stated that there was a five year plan.

The reason fans turned on Sheridan is quite simple. The side went backwards alarmingly and in ya face so. After every defeat we heard the same old from him threatening this and that, that realistically never happened. The club's players were becoming more and more ill disciplined even in his company, whilst Sheridan himself questioned the fans knowledge. He had built 2 sides after repeated claims he now knew what he needed. After all that to be fair if his sides had gone out onto the park and looked like they actually cared and fought hard, fans whilst not being happy to lose would see the effort.

I feel a manager as to in the end see things for what they are and improve the effort aspect. Also if a player is putting in 100% effort but is just falling short through ability, again he must see that and make the change. Take for example yesterday. We had Lewi and Smalley up top and Joe is on record as saying he was pleased with their movement and work rate 1st half, not so much the second. Well for me that's ok for maybe 3 to 4 games because you can say that the potential is just under the surface and once it clicks into place that extra 5% performance would kill off the defenders. However when it's game after game that the portential is there it becomes not enough and the question should be will it ever? To many times it seems that extra 5% needed is not forth coming, and if it's not through effort then it's ability. In that case your flogging a dead horse and as a manager it's only time that will see you lose your job if you persist with it.

blimey...changing your tune again now from every 12 minths to every two to three years....

to put it quite simply,with the backing he has recieved from the owners,yes 3 years was enough time to get us promoted.

i understand your point,first time round with big joe it took him 5 years to sort things out ang get us going so to speak....but that was back in 1983,when there wasnt this you have to be a success in the first 12 months or your out attitude.

3 years in this day and age is a big contract to offer any manager.

i firmly believe that if shez had been given a 5 year deal,he still wouldnt of got us promoted,he is a coach,not a manager

that is why we are sat here now,mulling over what might have been,giving most of the fans what they wanted in the cheap option of shez,wondering why and where it all went wrong.

the reallity is now hitting and people are now realising we have just wasted another 3 years,understandably emotions are high.

shez did well for the club in his first 3yrs in management top half of table consistently,but with the backing of TTA he JUST fell short i think,the problem lies in finding gems who cost next to nothing every club in the land are looking for these and that is what we are looking for,we cant afford to buy big so we need these "gems" or loanees..........well,this is another problem,especially in the strikers position,we occasionally get some decent loanees like,jones and lee croft,killkenny, BUT in the strikers position i can only think of 1 out of how many and that was the guy from sheff weds a couple of seasons ago so back to is 3yrs enough......yes with the backing of the TTA but the manager has to find the right players for next to nothing....not easy for any manager

Edited by steoafc

The reason fans turned on Sheridan is quite simple. The side went backwards alarmingly and in ya face so. After every defeat we heard the same old from him threatening this and that, that realistically never happened. The club's players were becoming more and more ill disciplined even in his company, whilst Sheridan himself questioned the fans knowledge. He had built 2 sides after repeated claims he now knew what he needed. After all that to be fair if his sides had gone out onto the park and looked like they actually cared and fought hard, fans whilst not being happy to lose would see the effort.

I feel a manager as to in the end see things for what they are and improve the effort aspect. Also if a player is putting in 100% effort but is just falling short through ability, again he must see that and make the change. Take for example yesterday. We had Lewi and Smalley up top and Joe is on record as saying he was pleased with their movement and work rate 1st half, not so much the second. Well for me that's ok for maybe 3 to 4 games because you can say that the potential is just under the surface and once it clicks into place that extra 5% performance would kill off the defenders. However when it's game after game that the portential is there it becomes not enough and the question should be will it ever? To many times it seems that extra 5% needed is not forth coming, and if it's not through effort then it's ability. In that case your flogging a dead horse and as a manager it's only time that will see you lose your job if you persist with it.

Bang on, that Lags. It's all about whether progress is being made and, as long as that's happening, the manager should stay. Under Shez, the club had sadly gone into reverse.

Bang on, that Lags. It's all about whether progress is being made and, as long as that's happening, the manager should stay. Under Shez, the club had sadly gone into reverse.

So say for example in his first season we are in a relegation battle but just avoid the drop, the second we 're a little more comfortable and finish 15th, and this season we 're consistently mid table, hovering around 10/12th all season, then he keeps his job?

I've not a problem with that personally, but if that had been Sheridan's record do you think he'd still be here with the fans backing?

So say for example in his first season we are in a relegation battle but just avoid the drop, the second we 're a little more comfortable and finish 15th, and this season we 're consistently mid table, hovering around 10/12th all season, then he keeps his job?

I've not a problem with that personally, but if that had been Sheridan's record do you think he'd still be here with the fans backing?

Depends doesn't it. Maybe in that senario they're improving with undeniable effort each and every week without any big time Charlie being funded into the bargain. Perhaps they're also very appreciative of the percentages that travel away to back them with more than a cursory glace across from the half way line and two claps of the mits.

The reason some people say that three years was enough is because of all the talk of there being a five year plan to get us promoted.

Personally, I'm not sure if the owners ever actually stated that there was a five year plan.

Not to reopened old wounds, but the talk of yearly based plans was from BB80 explaining how Shez was reaping the benefits of Ronnie having planned to bring a number of crap players in during his first season so as to be able to pay them off and achieve in his second. It disregarded the fact that TTA wanted to sign Ronnie for 3 years but he wasn't up for that.

http://www.footballforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54328

5 Years...

* Not to re-open old wounds LL :wink:

Ha ha! I do recall that, even though I can't open the link! I remember Mr Corney saying from the start that he wanted us to go up next season, if not that, then the next, if not that the next, etc etc. No doubt it was all tied into what they hoped to be able to do with the land in the time as well, they must have been very shocked to find out how attempts on all levels would be frustrated by the council, existing contracts and Brian Talbot :wink:

Ha ha! I do recall that, even though I can't open the link! I remember Mr Corney saying from the start that he wanted us to go up next season, if not that, then the next, if not that the next, etc etc. No doubt it was all tied into what they hoped to be able to do with the land in the time as well, they must have been very shocked to find out how attempts on all levels would be frustrated by the council, existing contracts and Brian Talbot :wink:

Haha...like it...nice "in" joke there :wink:

* No old wounds re-opened :grin:

Look how long Darren Ferguson's been in the job, he has instilled a great team ethic into Peterborough very,very evident if you see a clip of the last goal against Leicester on Saturday were nearly every player joined in the goal celebration.

We dont seem to have had that togetherness attitude for quite a while despite various team building attempts by Shezz, I am sure this is one area Joe is trying to sort out.

Hate to say this but during this season there has looked like divisions in the camp, that needs sorting out for sure.

Another side with a similar ethic to posh is Scunthorpe as much as we appear to detest each other Adkins, has has done a great job and keeps unearthing goalscorers from nowhere he has worked out the formula for getting out of this division it would appear.

They aint nothin fancy,but very solid but work hard for 90mins and have a goalscorer who also contributes to the team ethic.

For me we need to work on bringing in players that will make us more solid at the back and in midfield,we need to be capable of going away and grinding out draws or holding onto slender leads which we have never looked capable of doing this year.

I hope Joe tries to sign Alan Lee or a similar player during the close season if he stays,and shores up the defence along with some yardies in midfield. I can see a big clearout during the summer it is probably the only way forward whoever is in charge.

The new manager (who ever it may be) is going to need time to rebuild the team. I just hope that the board and the fans give him the time he needs

I hope that we are challengeing for promotion next season but I feel it will be a season of transitions as we try to build again

The new manager (who ever it may be) is going to need time to rebuild the team. I just hope that the board and the fans give him the time he needs

I hope that we are challengeing for promotion next season but I feel it will be a season of transitions as we try to build again

Deja vu strikes again.

Oh the irony.

So? If something's worth saying, it's worth repeating. As if the happy clappers don't constantly reiterate the same points.

Same old story every lousy season. Fans voting with their feet.

Joe deciding to stay will be the only thing that prevents a crippling drop in season ticket sales after this season's charade, and even then I predict a sceptical response unless the rumoured additional investment materialises.

and it will continue to strike again until a manager is given enough time to do what they need to do.

Sherdians time had come to an end as we had started to go backwards

You seem to be simultaneously arguing for a manager to be given time and for sacking him here.

If you don't mind me saying so.

No not really

Sheridan had 3 years as manager, plenty of time for us to get promoted. Yes we came close but each time we failed

The new manager will have to sort out the current squad and rebuild which will take time