England

Clive Tyldesley:

"Let's have a look again at the shot that nearly out-foxed James......did it move?......just......"

Yes, Calamity has a massive problem of balls moving - usually the ones moving towards him....

2-1 was a fair result for my money. They were never in it. We looked off the boil in the second half but over 90minutes deserved the three points.

Points of interest:

1. Peter Crouch is the most underrated player in football.

2. David James gives me panic attacks! My confidence in him couldn't be lower. That shot lept up a bit off the pitch (see 3.) but there's no excuse. His kicking was gash.

3. I'm still ashamed of the pitch. Somewhere, at least a year ago now, I talked about how shockingly bad that pitch was and it still cuts itself quicker than a teenage goth.

4. Ashley Cole is the single worst player I have ever seen. He was awful. Gave the ball away leading to their freekick/goal and at least 20 times before/after that. Awful. Awful. Awful. -1

Overall a decent night. Good result for both Irelands and Scotland too. I see Poland managed to scrape past San Marino too! :lol:

2-1 was a fair result for my money. They were never in it. We looked off the boil in the second half but over 90minutes deserved the three points.

Points of interest:

2. David James gives me panic attacks! My confidence in him couldn't be lower. That shot lept up a bit off the pitch (see 3.) but there's no excuse. His kicking was gash.

3. I'm still ashamed of the pitch. Somewhere, at least a year ago now, I talked about how shockingly bad that pitch was and it still cuts itself quicker than a teenage goth.

4. Ashley Cole is the single worst player I have ever seen. He was awful. Gave the ball away leading to their freekick/goal and at least 20 times before/after that. Awful. Awful. Awful. -1

Overall a decent night. Good result for both Irelands and Scotland too. I see Poland managed to scrape past San Marino too! :lol:

this is one of the most irrational comments i have ever read

He might not be the worst player I've ever seen (that's probably Terrell Forbes), but Ashley Cole was utterly dreadful tonight. Easily England's worst performer.

England were fortunate. A draw would have been a fair result - and given the table I'd have taken that. Great finish from Crouch, some sublime football from Rooney, but we looked disjointed.

By the way, should I be worried? I have a growing and largely irrational hatred of John Terry. Can't :censored: stand the :censored: rent boy. Is this normal?

He might not be the worst player I've ever seen (that's probably Terrell Forbes), but Ashley Cole was utterly dreadful tonight. Easily England's worst performer.

England were fortunate. A draw would have been a fair result - and given the table I'd have taken that. Great finish from Crouch, some sublime football from Rooney, but we looked disjointed.

By the way, should I be worried? I have a growing and largely irrational hatred of John Terry. Can't :censored: stand the :censored: rent boy. Is this normal?

A long time ago I thought Cole was the best left back in the world... Since that day he has down right down hill.... Awful now on a regular basis... Shadow of his former self...

A long time ago I thought Cole was the best left back in the world... Since that day he has down right down hill.... Awful now on a regular basis... Shadow of his former self...

He doesn't seem to fancy it for England these days. maybe he throws the toys at the abuse he gets. Ability wise he can certainly be world class, although if he needs public love to perform he doesn't exactly help himself...

Points of interest:

:lol: Good one!

David James is shocking and has been all his career (far too many mistakes) they don't call him calamity James for nothing.

Ashley Cole was absolutely piss poor last night, his distribution was Eardleyesque.

Its very worrying to think we don't have a better goalkeeper and left back in the country than these two, between them they will cost us vital goals at vital times.

So it turns out the crap pitch isn't the fault of the American Football?

1. Peter Crouch is good against :censored: footballers. Ukraine ain't exactly great now (despite the FIFA guffaw rankings), hence he looked alright. Still crap in the air for a tall man though.

2. Rooney was ace. Lucky that he got the ball, but ace.

3. Cole needs dropping. If a player of his standard is going to consistantly drop his game that far then he shouldn't be playing.

4. Gerrard is not a left winger.

5. David James IS the best we have.

6. I do wish Pleat would stop saying 'penetration'. It just brings up bad images of his past.

7. I too thought Lennon should have stayed on. Everytime he got the ball he did well. But what the hell do I know (see points 1-5).

So it turns out the crap pitch isn't the fault of the American Football?

I would suggest the turf should be capable of with standing one American football game a year...specially since it took place 7 months ago...

I would suggest massive stands, little sunshine and a piss poor grounds man are probably the more likely sources of the problem...

Edited by oafc0000

Ashley Cole is very reluctant to kick with his right foot. We slate our players for not sometimes using their weaker foot and here we have a lad playing for the national side who cork screws himself (chortle) into the ground to avoid using his right foot.

I wasn't too surprised when Ukraine scored. The game reminded me of one of our home defeats. We have a lot of the play but it's inevitable they'll get a chance and stick it away. Thankfully we had the shoplifters kid steal us the points :wink:

I would suggest the turf should be capable of with standing one American football game a year...specially since it took place 7 months ago...

I would suggest massive stands, little sunshine and a piss poor grounds man are probably the more likely sources of the problem...

Indeed.

It's an embarrasment. Manure cope. Old Wembley coped. There's no excuses I'll except for the 'hallowed turf' being so bad.

At one point early in the first half James came down from catching (sic) a cross and his foot dug a lump of turf twice as big as his foot out. There's no excuse for that. Even BP doesn't do it.

I've never liked him. There's just that niggling feeling about him and I couldn't tell you what......He does play well, sometimes but I just dislike him. I've heard he thinks I'm a top fella though :grin:

I've never liked him. There's just that niggling feeling about him and I couldn't tell you what......He does play well, sometimes but I just dislike him. I've heard he thinks I'm a top fella though :grin:

:lol:

Off the pitch he seems to be a giant ass. But that's nothing to do with why I think he shames English football with his uselessness.

Spot on, we were talking about this at the game. The guy his shocking, he's loose passing could have cost us... didn't seem to care, rarely got forward to support ... when he did his crosses were gash.

How JT got MOTM I'll never know, Rooney for me he worked so hard for the team. After we had conceeded ..... Rooney raise the team single handed with a couple of great runs at their defence.

Love to see a replay of the 'great' save by James ........ half the crowd thought it was a great save, we thought it was a balls up by him.

Crouch didn't do to bad, but he's never a starter for the National team for me. Stevie G worked hard, looked much better just off Rooney late into the game when Crouch went off.

Sat next to a couple of lads who went to the same school as the Terry brothers, seems their mum is well know for shop lifting.... been doing it for ever. The loved the 'mums a shoplifter' song.

Why did Lennon get carted off ?

How JT got MOTM I'll never know, Rooney for me he worked so hard for the team. After we had conceeded ..... Rooney raise the team single handed with a couple of great runs at their defence.

Love to see a replay of the 'great' save by James ........ half the crowd thought it was a great save, we thought it was a balls up by him.

Crouch didn't do to bad, but he's never a starter for the National team for me. Stevie G worked hard, looked much better just off Rooney late into the game when Crouch went off.

I think JT got it for setting up the first and scoring the second. On paper that's not a bad turn for a defender and we all know that paper is what these decisions are based on.

James save...? Which one? The one that lept up at him off the ground just in front of him? If yes then it was a decent save for sure. But not great, it skipped on a bit and he just did enough to stop it.

Crouch has now scored 15 from 33 games for England, I think it was 13 from his last 16 games. He's not what you expect him to be. He's not a great header of the ball for a tall player. But his control, first touch, set up play, eye for goal are all top notch. He'd be in my front two ahead of players like Carlton frikkin Cole and Bent!!

A tight England win was probably the fairest result. Ukraine scored a lucky goal (and had maybe 2 more shots on target) which dropped nicely in our penalty area to their best finisher- I think a lot of the England players might have put that chance away- that ball could have dropped to one of our defenders who could have then whacked it clear.

Crouch did what Crouch does- be tall (but not as great in the air as he should be) and be useful on the ground. I'm not sure Crouch is the best player to play with Rooney as he often drops into the space Rooney likes (between the midfield and defence) and he doesn't have the speed to get in behind defences. Rooney is one of our players who is genuinely world class and gets on the team sheet automatically (unless unavailible), if it wasn't an important world cup qualifier I'd have been tempted to play Kevin Davies with Rooney (to have a look and see if that could work) as Davies is the closest we have to the incumbent Heskey who is fit (and this season is the top English goalscorer in the Premier League). But no Capello likes Carlton Cole (for some reason- possibly because he plays at West Ham), and Darren Bent (who is worse than Cole but 'plays' at Tottenham). However, if Rooney is unavailible for whatever reason I'd be tempted to play Crouch with someone like Agbonhalor as I think that partnership could work well (leaving Heskey out).

Ashley Cole is a good left back who didn't play well (although to be honest I didn't notice he played as badly as other people have made out). He has been very good for England in the past (being our player of the tournament at the last world cup IMHO) and will no doubt be good again. The other left back we have is currently injured (Wayne Bridge) but aside from those two we do look thin there (but we have done for ages). After all Leighton Baines is in the squad to play there and Deane Smalley made him look appalling

David James is the best goalie we have who is playing regularly for his club, Ben Foster and Joe Hart are both probably better than him (especially when he is off form) but neither are playing regularly for their clubs (and won't for a while) so aren't pushing him for a place.

Aaron Lennon played well and it surprised me that he came off but Beckham is a better player there if you are 1-0 up as he keeps the ball better and works a lot harder in defence. Gerrard is not a left winger but I think Capello was playing him more as an attacking option from midfield. Personally in games I'd prefer Gerrard to be playing with a holding midfield player in the middle and a proper winger out wide with Lampard warming the bench but I can see why that doesn't always happen.

John Terry is a :censored: who isn't the player he thinks he is and we have a lot of centre-halfs who are as good as each other, after all Phil Jagielka had Torres in his pocket which is more than Ferdinand can say (even with Vidic's help). As to how he got the man-of-the-match it was in part chosen by Joe Cole who was always going to vote for one of his Chelsea team mates and Terry was the best one.

Ukraine are 16th or whatever in the world rankings because they got to the quarters of the last world cup. Worse teams are going to qualify for the world cup and odds are England will face one of them (if we qualify which we look like doing). Under Sven and Steve I think we wouldn't have won the game but whether its because Fabio is lucky or if he is that good a manager we didn't yesterday and sometimes the games where you don't play well but still win can be very important.

Under Sven and Steve I think we wouldn't have won the game but whether its because Fabio is lucky or if he is that good a manager we didn't yesterday and sometimes the games where you don't play well but still win can be very important.

That makes no sense... Sven was good in qualifiers...