Agree, Gregan was head and shoulders above any other defender on the pitch. But if you believe the consenus on here we don't need him next season. Wish I was watching the same Latics team as others.

E4e

BOLOX

Absolutely spot on, the most sense I've read on here for quite a while.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely spot on, the most sense I've read on here for quite a while.

Agree. Gregan was MOM on Sat followed closely by Taylor.

Eardley shouldn't of let the ball bounce for the second but keeper had to be blamed for that goal, if he comes rushing off his line then he has to take everything. Eardley had one of his better games imo of late. Hazell was very average. Jones was our worst player on the pitch.

Good news. And Joe also praises Eardley.

Both must be ridiculous views to some of the people on here. After all Royle knows nothing....

As much as i dont really rate eardley, the probability is we wont have alot to spend next season

So unless we can bring in someone better than eardley, on the same money that he is, very much doubt he will be going anywhere

As much as i dont really rate eardley, the probability is we wont have alot to spend next season

So unless we can bring in someone better than eardley, on the same money that he is, very much doubt he will be going anywhere

Same point as I was making but about a different player... remains true...

Totally agree...

Since signing his new contract Hazell's dropped more clangers than the bloody soup dragon. He has also pulled off some immense challenges in the same time but as is usual with defenders the mistakes are the ones that stick in the mind.

I think this is the problem I have with Greegan. It's not the clangers that stick in my mind - it's the performances. As you so rightly say, if a defender makes a hash of something it will be something much more punishable than a midfielder or forward. However with Greegan it's more about his inability to change approach to a game that frustrates me.

We've bemoaned the lack of a midfield powerhouse this season, yet against Orient where our midfield was on top (especially with Jones/Westlake on the left) he continually punted aimless balls forward to no one. He's done this far too often than I can accept. We could have the best midfield in the league and he'd still bypass it with aimless lumps forward and I think in a +/- system his is a minus score.

I think this is the problem I have with Greegan. It's not the clangers that stick in my mind - it's the performances. As you so rightly say, if a defender makes a hash of something it will be something much more punishable than a midfielder or forward. However with Greegan it's more about his inability to change approach to a game that frustrates me.

We've bemoaned the lack of a midfield powerhouse this season, yet against Orient where our midfield was on top (especially with Jones/Westlake on the left) he continually punted aimless balls forward to no one. He's done this far too often than I can accept. We could have the best midfield in the league and he'd still bypass it with aimless lumps forward and I think in a +/- system his is a minus score.

I agree with much of what you have said...

But when you compare him with someone like Stam then you start to see a difference in quality. When you consider next years budget may only allow us too bring in people of Stams ability then I start to think keep hold...

I know their is an argument about Gregans wages being released but when you consider the cost of recruitment this may not be as a point as you first think...

The only thing Gregan lacks really is pace. It'd also be nice for him to be a real threat in the other box on set-pieces but certainly the only thing he gets caught on on is tricky, pacey attacking players. But other than that he's a real quality performer and has shown quite a few of those performances this season. It's other defenders showing inconsistancies which is letting us down as we draw the season to a close.

Gregan is no more guilty of lumping the ball forward than Hazell or Eardley, infact Gregan is the only one of the three who can on occasion actually see and find a pass.

I suggest one of the problems all our defenders have on occasions is the total lack of options to find a short pass to a midfield player, and when pressure is applied by oncoming forwards the defenders have to get rid in a hurry, our midfield movement is nothing like what it should be with the perceived talent of the players in there.

It's amazing how split the fans are over his performance yesterday...for me, I couldn't agree more with the above comments!!! And it's concluded a few thoughts for me in my mind...

While talking about Player of the season, I've had Gregan suggested to me and I personally have felt Hazell possibly. Yet if we look at it, Posh had about 4 or 5 clear headers in our box yesterday. We also let in 2 goals ( identical ones from this season elsewhere) and I really do wonder if we're being blinded about our defence. Really...it's utter :censored: at times and maybe we need to stick a line through most names...

Eardley - struggled this season without the RW situation being sorted all season, had no protection from it when we've been stuck under pressure...not Neals fault that, but he's also had a bad season by the silly mistakes he's done too

Gregan - not as commanding as people really believe...and will only go the Liddell way next season

Jones - never is and never ever has been a LB...only good in a chasing back, last ditch tackle...he's a LW

Stam - do like Stam, but can have lapses. Would still keep him as back up.

Hazell - Think we'dve been :censored:ed this season without him and is the only 1 true contender to be in my back line choice next season

We can't praise our defence as high as we have been doing when you look at the endless list of goals and games we've gifted this season.

PS Would like to echo that comment about Hazell post-contract signing...said that several times last night. A shadow of the player he's been since that Yeovil away game. But not for half a season, like some Gregan-lover has suggested above.

You are looking at it from the view point that defending is only about the defence. Football is a team sport and defending is the job of those throughout the team. IMO our defenders get absolutely no support from the midfield, when the opposition has the ball, especially in the centre, which is virtually non-existant. When the defenders do have the ball, there is very rarely any options in the middle of the park for the easy pass so they have to hit it long. I personally think our backline is good. Yes sometimes goals are down to individual errors, but thats a fact of life in league 1. We need some steel in the middle of the park, alongside someone who is willing to look for the ball from the back a la wellens or shez when he was a player. Then I think a big weight will have been lifted from the back lines shoulders!

Gregan is no more guilty of lumping the ball forward than Hazell or Eardley, infact Gregan is the only one of the three who can on occasion actually see and find a pass.

I suggest one of the problems all our defenders have on occasions is the total lack of options to find a short pass to a midfield player, and when pressure is applied by oncoming forwards the defenders have to get rid in a hurry, our midfield movement is nothing like what it should be with the perceived talent of the players in there.

At times he looks one of the best passers in the side. Yes he can hoof at times, but normally when nothing is on, and some of his crossfield passes are well beyond what a Div 3 defender is normally capable of.

He started in midfield in the cup replay against Cheltenham and was finding constructive passes nearly al the time.

You are looking at it from the view point that defending is only about the defence. Football is a team sport and defending is the job of those throughout the team. IMO our defenders get absolutely no support from the midfield, when the opposition has the ball, especially in the centre, which is virtually non-existant. When the defenders do have the ball, there is very rarely any options in the middle of the park for the easy pass so they have to hit it long. I personally think our backline is good. Yes sometimes goals are down to individual errors, but thats a fact of life in league 1. We need some steel in the middle of the park, alongside someone who is willing to look for the ball from the back a la wellens or shez when he was a player. Then I think a big weight will have been lifted from the back lines shoulders!

True...good points...when I think abuot it, Gregan worries me most when he comes flying out from the back line into that area to clear the danger...the one Allott should be patrolling like a warden. It's there where sometimes he hoofs it back to the opposition, misses it completely and therefore allows them in behind him or he misses it completely and his pace gets shown up as he chases back. With more protection from the anchorman role he probably would eridicate some of those weaknesses. In essence, he tries to do too much sometimes and then when the basics are required, he can make a hash of them. Like that very poor clearance (out for the throw-in) leading to Posh's goal.

Edited by boundaryblue80

...he comes flying out from the back line into that area to clear the danger... It's there where sometimes he hoofs it back to the opposition, misses it completely and therefore allows them in behind him or he misses it completely and his pace gets shown up as he chases back. With more protection from the anchorman role he probably would eridicate some of those weaknesses. In essence, he tries to do too much sometimes and then when the basics are required, he can make a hash of them.

Questions to OWTB members if you were manager of Latics:

1. If that was what you had observed of a trialist, would you offer him a contract?

2. If that was what you had observed over the past four games, would you offer him a new contract, even though you might not be here next season?

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

!. If that was what you had observed of a trialis,t would you offer him a contract?

2. If that was what you had observed over the past four games, would you offer him a new contract, even though you might not be here next season?

No and no.

Are you moving to the dark side there DS? Me 'n Coco will start doing membership cards soon I think!

PS - remember to take your finger off the shift button when typing '1'! I won't mention the erroneously placed comma.

Derek.

Greegs has been a great signing for the club but I think its time for him to move on. I think he has had an average season and I feel next season he will be caught out a lot in this league.

I dont think he's past it completly but he maybe better off being a good league 2 player than an average-poor league 1 player.

1. If that was what you had observed of a trialist, would you offer him a contract?

1. Depends on what else he has to offer.

2. My view is that this should be his last season. I think we need a quicker centre half to complement Hazell.

Based on Joe's public comments, he will be offered a new contract.

But what Joe says publicly is not always reflect in actions behind closed doors.

If Gregan wishes to continue being part of the squad, I think he should be expecting a cut in pay and a large chunk of that pay being appearance related. I'd be looking at a new captain too.

1. Yes - he has been better than what else is here

2. Yes- has been the best player over the four games