Season Tickets

after how last season rapidly disintegrated and the couldnt-give-a-:censored: attitude our several 'senior' pros at the club its a wonder we have shifted so many ST's !. Altho I have had an ST for 40 yrs with only a couple of exceptions (financial reasons !) for the 1st time I really cant or dont want to renew at the moment as unless I see a few decent players who could give us a sporting chance at play[offs or better I dont think I could face another season of half-hearted performances against all those long-distance opponents which will mean poor away support and little atmosphere for most games. Need to see some decent signings (some of these big powerful teams DP is famous for would be a good start )but need some actual names on shirts before I commit.

I personally know a lot of previously die-hards who have lost the faith particularly after the shambles of last years billy-big bollocks non-triers and wont be renewing again.

If no decent signings soon then no ST for me and will probably pick and choose.

The damage Sheridan did last year with his aging pals who didnt give a :censored: cant be underestimated.

DP neds to get a good few players in pronto to get the fans onside again - once people stop going they find other things to do on saturday afternoons and rarely go back.

Abbot signing up would good for starters ................

agree with most but wouldnt blame it all on shez yeah it did go s*** near the end but we had some good times under shez with everton wolves leeds (twice) just a shame we couldnt beat the lower teams at home or we prob would be up now but yeah i wasnt a shez outer but in a way im glad penny is in with a fresh start to which i think is going to be something good

Edited by kellysheroes

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not getting a season ticket for the reason that it's too stale at home games. Ever wonder why we have top notch away support and yet at home we struggle to get 5k on the gate? It's because you can't have fun at the games these days. The stewards, the music, the state of the ground and the quality on the pitch all affect sales and all of these are all poor.

Too many people at the club listen and enforce the nanny state rules rather than putting the fan first. Watching jobsworths chuck loyal fan's out for having a fag behind the RRE away from everyone just really puts you off going again (yet at Peterborough your allowed to smoke behind the stand?!). Untill the club sorts out it's act then I can only see a downward spiral in ticket sales. It's been said before but the whole place needs a massive shake up - not just on the pitch but off it aswell.

I'll keep going to the big home games where the rules on standing tend to be relaxed for some reason and the away games where the atmosphere is miles better.

I know the BP atmosphere has never been great, but it has become awful recently, with the moaners taking over and a general all round negative atmosphere at home games. For me if that atmosphere is enjoyable it doesnt matter so much about the football, but at BP recently both the atmosphere and football has been poor which has put me off renewing.

The discount prices should be extended to at least October ! I'm waiting to see what's being served up this year before committing. My travel costs are significantly higher than ST price, I couldn't be bothered travelling down to BP at the backend of last season so didn't maximise its benefit. Saved a fortune in pies and petrol mind.

Against my better judgement, I renewed yesterday. That is the best part of 40 years on the trot.

What persuaded me?

It was neither the new management team nor the signings....

It dawned on me that that I have mostly been looking at the tip of the iceberg. They have depressed me this season... the first team and the ex-manager.

I decided to renew because the club deserves to survive..how many other clubs below us would die to be in the League? The biggest issue for me was that the club has reserves/youth teams and a range of other teams that turn out week in week out with the colours on representing me and my town all ably managed by a huge number of coaches.

In many ways the club is guilty of concentrating on the first team in the media.

Add onto that the people who work behind the scnes.. OK, not all is perfect but who is?

So I renewed mostly for the club as a whole. Lets hope that DP brings real discipline into the club and we stop reading about drink driving/taxis for players too drunk to drive/players in the gutter etc. etc.

I'm going to expect a bit of a rollocking for this post, but I was thinking the other day and the sun came through the clouds.........

We are a League 1 team. We have League 1 attendances. We have a League 1 ground. We are in League 1. League 1. We deserve to be here. We've been here a while. If we were in the Championship, I think people would be saying the same thing - we want to get in the Prem.

Ok, so there's no harm in having ambition, but look at the whole of League 1. Not everyone gets to be promoted. Maybe people just need to accept that we are a League 1 team, that may, eventually, one day, be promoted. But it's about entertainment. As long as we're entertained on our Saturday's at home why are we moaning?

League 1 people. Face it. Will be great if we can push for promotion. But accept where we are and where we are likely to be.

I have now donned my battle armour.

Not entirely sure whether it is possible, but I will just say that we aren't the only team in the leagues (Championship included) that don't accept credit cards (most strongly advise against it) for season ticket sales in particular...this is because the credit card companies hold the payment until the end of the season thereby meaning the clubs get NO income until around April. This includes clubs like Burnley.

how the hell would the card company know it was for a football club season ticket??

and, even if they did, why/how would they withold payment?

i was trying to pay by debit card btw.

how the hell would the card company know it was for a football club season ticket??

I think it is something to with being liable for refunds if clubs went in admin or liquidation, therefore not honouring any Season Tickets purchased - this would cost the CC companies a fortune, so they ameded their retail T & C to reflect the risk. Remember when TTA took over, initially the thought process was that they were looking at ways to make Season Tickets null and void after the formation of OAFC (2004) as the club needed a big injection of funds, after the money we forked out on Chris Moore's 'cheap as chips' Season Tickets, disappeared into the abyss, it is believed they only honoured the tickets after lengthy legal discussions and instead counted on plenty of tickets being sold in the Summer of '04. (on the back of the amazing signings of Arber and Jack)

Edited by oafcprozac

Thw why is because they are legally responsible for the elligability of that ticket as it is over £100 (and for now, less than £30,000). With football cluibs being, well a bit rubbish on this aspect, I suspect they will not allow a payment of over £100 without retaining the cash until said completion. Otherwise they'd end up forking out everytime a club went under.

I'm going to expect a bit of a rollocking for this post, but I was thinking the other day and the sun came through the clouds.........

We are a League 1 team. We have League 1 attendances. We have a League 1 ground. We are in League 1. League 1. We deserve to be here. We've been here a while. If we were in the Championship, I think people would be saying the same thing - we want to get in the Prem.

Ok, so there's no harm in having ambition, but look at the whole of League 1. Not everyone gets to be promoted. Maybe people just need to accept that we are a League 1 team, that may, eventually, one day, be promoted. But it's about entertainment. As long as we're entertained on our Saturday's at home why are we moaning?

League 1 people. Face it. Will be great if we can push for promotion. But accept where we are and where we are likely to be.

I have now donned my battle armour.

Your point has been made before, as has mine...

And the fact is that the longer we are bogged down here the more chance we'll fall further. And our record with regard to bouncing back is not good, and 'cutting our cloth accordingly' could be the club motto, no matter who's in the boardroom.

Add to that the fact that professional football at this level is unlikely to survive long-term.

Not only the town, but, to judge by the supposed sales of ST's so far, many diehard, long-term supporters too, have had enough of stagnation. And we must not forget what the club official who spoke at the game on the day of the stadium protest said about there being no future in the situation the club is mired in.

Time is ticking...

Does anyone know if bought season tickets for foth coming season are collectable from the club now?

According to the club they will be available for collection in June (that is what they said when I renewed yesterday)

:mainstand:

Not only the town, but, to judge by the supposed sales of ST's so far, many diehard, long-term supporters too, have had enough of stagnation.

This is such as bastardisation of fact.

ST sales are 50% of what they were last year. This is a jump of almost 50% - ST sales before that had been at a stable rate for the majority of time that we've been at this level, even if that level was lower than we'd like.

Sure some will have walked away due to the continued stagnation of the club, however the vast majority will have been greatly affected by the recession which dictates the level of their disposable income.

Should the recession end and the ST sales next year leap back up by 50% would you conceed that the stagnation of the club had ended? I very much doubt it.

Does anyone know if bought season tickets for foth coming season are collectable from the club now?

I was told when I renewed that the books would be available for collection in June, I was assuming they would put a notice up on the OS when they arrive.

Thw why is because they are legally responsible for the elligability of that ticket as it is over £100 (and for now, less than £30,000). With football cluibs being, well a bit rubbish on this aspect, I suspect they will not allow a payment of over £100 without retaining the cash until said completion. Otherwise they'd end up forking out everytime a club went under.

makes sense now.

if they'd only explained this at the ticket office.........

This is such as bastardisation of fact.

ST sales are 50% of what they were last year. This is a jump of almost 50% - ST sales before that had been at a stable rate for the majority of time that we've been at this level, even if that level was lower than we'd like.

Sure some will have walked away due to the continued stagnation of the club, however the vast majority will have been greatly affected by the recession which dictates the level of their disposable income.

Should the recession end and the ST sales next year leap back up by 50% would you conceed that the stagnation of the club had ended? I very much doubt it.

Didn't we have 4500 or so ST holders during TTAs first full season?

I'm glad that you can take comfort in the fact that ST sales are only down by half on last season's not very impressive figure though. Meanwhile, neither you nor I know the reason why 'the vast majority' are not so far renewing. As if the recession and the stagnation of the club aren't intrinsically linked anyway. How many would renew despite financially straitened circumstances were an attractive squad in place and promotion a serious prospect who, due to the present uncertainty, are seemingly not going to bother (as some have stated on here?) How many people have said that they're sick of putting up with our largely recession-dictated three sided ground and deteriorating facilities?

The recession might end next year, but many serious analysts suggest it won't. And even if it did, as the more astute posters in this thread have noted, once people stop going they often find something else to do on Saturdays. Barring miracles on the pitch, be prepared to watch this happen.

The recession might end next year, but many serious analysts suggest it won't. And even if it did, as the more astute posters in this thread have noted, once people stop going they often find something else to do on Saturdays. Barring miracles on the pitch, be prepared to watch this happen.

I don't dispute this. This is after the fact though. The evidence is that season tickets have declined slowly over recent years and have dropped drastically this year.

The most noted variable to have changed during this time is the move from a strong growth economy to a desperate recession based economy. This is the most supported cause for season ticket sales decline. Yes the economy has affected the club and this has a knock on effect to the sales of season tickets but this is not the most significant factor no matter how many times you repeat it.

I'm glad that you can take comfort in the fact that ST sales are only down by half on last season's not very impressive figure though.

This is so far from the point I question why I'm addressing it. Aside from the fact that I'm not happy, even if I was why would it change the situation in anyway?

I don't dispute this. This is after the fact though. The evidence is that season tickets have declined slowly over recent years and have dropped drastically this year.

The most noted variable to have changed during this time is the move from a strong growth economy to a desperate recession based economy. This is the most supported cause for season ticket sales decline. Yes the economy has affected the club and this has a knock on effect to the sales of season tickets but this is not the most significant factor no matter how many times you repeat it.

Again, I doubt that the recession is as big a factor as you were saying. For a start, the vaunted strong economic growth is increasingly being revealed to have been at least partly artificial, being based so heavily on debt. Many people were caught in a 'live now, pay later,' culture, which would have applied to paying for football as much as anything else. Look at the clubs mentioned above whose ST sales are said to be going well-are the towns where they're based somehow avoiding the recession, or do their fans have more reason to feel hopeful than Latics fans?

Again, I doubt that the recession is as big a factor as you were saying. For a start, the vaunted strong economic growth is increasingly being revealed to have been at least partly artificial, being based so heavily on debt. Many people were caught in a 'live now, pay later,' culture, which would have applied to paying for football as much as anything else.

This supports my argument though. People previously were living 'in the now' and paying for things such as ST's on credit which they are no longer willing to do. This may be because they're newly unemployed or simply because they're reacting to the media perception that the credit is going to dry up and they can't afford to be in debt anymore (which is stupid - this is the best time for debt as the interest costs are so minimal). Either way their willingness to buy a luxury item has significantly diminished.

Look at the clubs mentioned above whose ST sales are said to be going well-are the towns where they're based somehow avoiding the recession, or do their fans have more reason to feel hopeful than Latics fans?

I admit that this evidence supports your argument greatly. I would maintain my view that the recession (or as above, it's perception) has been the most significant factor in the decline of ST sales, based on the evidence that this season has not been significantly worse than any of the last 5-6 (an argument you yourself put forward - that we're stagnated [meaning not better and not worse]) and yet sales have declined by such a massive margin.

This supports my argument though. People previously were living 'in the now' and paying for things such as ST's on credit which they are no longer willing to do. This may be because they're newly unemployed or simply because they're reacting to the media perception that the credit is going to dry up and they can't afford to be in debt anymore (which is stupid - this is the best time for debt as the interest costs are so minimal). Either way their willingness to buy a luxury item has significantly diminished.

I admit that this evidence supports your argument greatly. I would maintain my view that the recession (or as above, it's perception) has been the most significant factor in the decline of ST sales, based on the evidence that this season has not been significantly worse than any of the last 5-6 (an argument you yourself put forward - that we're stagnated [meaning not better and not worse]) and yet sales have declined by such a massive margin.

We can only wait and see to what extent ST sales recover once Dave Penney has got us promoted...

I know this may sound like a bit of a stab in the dark ... but would the woman with the norks in the shop actually blab this information ?

I put it to you sirs that no official news of how season ticket sales are going ............. is there?