Ashes 2009

Big wicket that, Hussey was looking settled.

Meanwhile, on TMS:

11:45

From Dan in Cardiff, TMS inbox: "I'm sat in Cardiff County Court listening to the end of the case before mine. The judge has just clocked me playing with the Blackberry and clearly knows I'm checking the cricket. I am certain the Defendant won't turn up. I wonder if the judge fancies some pre-lunch cricket watching in Walkabout on St Mary's St instead?"

12:25

From Rich in Cardiff, text 81111: "I'm due in court in the next half-an-hour but have ended up in the Walkabout on St Marys St for what has all the hallmarks of a textbook 'Leo Sayer' (all-dayer). Anyone care to join?"

12:39

From Anon, text 81111: "Rich in Cardiff, tempted by that Leo Sayer. Can I ask if you're the accused or a lawyer? You'll forgive me not wanting to spend a day drinking with a lawyer."

:lol:

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Me and my mate Pete used to go to see Essex play and collect the autographs of all the stewards and groundstaff, We would approach Gooch ask him if he worked there and then blank him and walk off - my best autograph was Gommo Harris the programme seller - never seen a man so happy to sign his name. Goochie's moustache never turned up again after that day!"

:grin:

Time’s marching on for a result now. I will be putting my brown underpants on if we end up involved in a Twenty20 style run chase going for 200 inside the final session.

Got my tickets sorted (and jabs) for 4/5th day in Leeds

lol...i've just entered that competition,without noticing it finished last week!

what an arse! :D

well,looks like some changes are in place for headingley.

sidebotty recalled,call up for trott(who is in very good form for warks..another bloody saffer though!).

monty out(no surprise,no spin expected at headingley) broad in danger of being dropped,freddie struggling.

Guest sheridans_world
lol...i've just entered that competition,without noticing it finished last week!

what an arse! :D

well,looks like some changes are in place for headingley.

sidebotty recalled,call up for trott(who is in very good form for warks..another bloody saffer though!).

monty out(no surprise,no spin expected at headingley) broad in danger of being dropped,freddie struggling.

What did you think of the video?

Trott is in amazing form, he has a huge average this season. Something like 800-odd runs since February.

I dont think he'll start though, they'll go with a bowler rather than a batsman as the extra man.

What did you think of the video?

Trott is in amazing form, he has a huge average this season. Something like 800-odd runs since February.

I dont think he'll start though, they'll go with a bowler rather than a batsman as the extra man.

i think a lot hinges on freddies injury.i expect sidebotty/harmy will swap with broad(scoring runs but bowling has been average-and thats his job) and trott on standby if fred doen't make it..and i think he won't,clearly struggling on monday.

best he rested and have him fit(ish) for the oval.

Guest sheridans_world
i think a lot hinges on freddies injury.i expect sidebotty/harmy will swap with broad(scoring runs but bowling has been average-and thats his job) and trott on standby if fred doen't make it..and i think he won't,clearly struggling on monday.

best he rested and have him fit(ish) for the oval.

Agreed, I'd rather have Fred fit for the (possible) decider, play Sidebottom instead of Broad and play Trott instead of Fred.

Trott seems to me to be the player who is there in case a batsman gets injured in practice (ala Haddin for the last test). He can bowl a bit which is always useful and he's been scoring runs. I think the same team will be kept with the possible exception of Harmy for Broad, but since the Aussies need to win either this test or the next one and to win a test match you have to get 20 wickets I'd be tempted to play Broad for his batting ability (the difference in the two's bowling ability can't be that much or Harmy would be playing already). I'd play Fred in this test match and run the risk of him not being fit for the Oval as opposed to 'resting' him for the Leeds test so he has a better chance of being fit for the Oval as if we don't loose at Headingley we only have not to loose at the Oval and we win the ashes. In cricket its much much easier to play not to loose than it is to play to win.

Agree with Dr Medic, there is usually a result at Headingley so we really ought to have the best team out for this one. I was there when Sidebottom made his comeback (after one Test ages before) there, as a horse for a course, and he was lethal. As it happens we were all united in horror as we expected him to be played for three years of being rubbish but he proved us wrong. Far, far more suited to Headingley than Mummy's Boy. That said Onions might fill his boots there as well. I like Broad but more for his character and batting than his bowling, although if Flintoff is out he may be needed to keep some batting strength down the order.

Win at Headingley, and Freddy can play at the Oval with a pirate's peg leg and I won't give a toss.

I'd play Fred in this test match and run the risk of him not being fit for the Oval as opposed to 'resting' him for the Leeds test so he has a better chance of being fit for the Oval as if we don't loose at Headingley we only have not to loose at the Oval and we win the ashes.

but if freddies isn't capable of bowling-nay,even running,he shouldn't be playing.

as much as he is essential,an unfit flintoff is next to useless.

these 2 tests with 3 days in between won't be helping him either...there is only so much painkillers can do,having a crocked knee is something else.

if he is struggling,rest him and as mentioned,the oval could be the decider-we'll need him there.

we'll miss him at headlingley if he misses out,but its better for him and england.

Do they?

England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff has been ruled out of the fourth Ashes Test at Headingley because of a knee injury.

Speculation had increased that Flintoff would miss the match, after he was only able to bowl for 35 minutes at three quarter pace in the nets on Thursday.

Warwickshire batsman Jonathan Trott and Durham paceman Steve Harmison are in contention to replace the all-rounder.

England's day had begun badly when they were evacuated from their hotel at 0450 BST because of a fire alarm.