Incident on Broadway

Yes, like you can in the areas mentioned by other posters. As in those, you might not feel entirely comfortable and if you're unlucky something might happen to you. Of course, if you're white in Werneth you'll stand out, especially at the time the gangs come out to play. But I wouldn't like to be of a dusky complexion when the pubs chuck out in Ordsall either.

The people of Ordsall, Collyhurst and Lower Broughton are, for the most part as friendly and law abiding as you or me. Then again, so are those of Werneth, Westwood or Glodwick. The trouble makers are always a minority wherever they are, but they dominate the image of an area, which is exactly what they want.

Yeah thats fair enough

My question wasnt one of 'we cant walk through Glodwick at night can people walk through them areas' it was a genuine question

I suppose everybody has got to put up with morons now wherever you live eh

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creepy most poor areas are filthy with :censored: all over the show though. Asians just happen to live in poorer areas of Oldham. Limeside and Derker are hardly the cleanest of places

you havent seen the sights i have seen prendy

Yet all the same problems exist in areas of a certain kind regardless of the racial makeup. Werneth? Try white Ordsall. Glodwick? Try Collyhurst. Westwood? Lower Broughton. Etc etc.

As others have said, many areas that were once quiet and friendly communities have deteriorated noticably. In by no means all of them do Asians predominate.

Anybody ever encountered the concept of the entropy economy? Look it up. Explains a lot of what we're experiencing, in my opinion.

Incidentally, what would you have done as opposed to being 'welcoming and tolerant?'

Corp I have to say I am with you here. There are many of areas throughout the country with a mixed social/racial background. There are also many areas made up of mixed or independent racial groups. The poorest and often dirtiest areas in a community tend to be inhabited by the poorest people with the least number of amenities and a high density of people. Skin colour is not a major factor in this though many non indigeneous people tend to settle in the least affluent areas as they enter the country with very little so are placed or come to live in these areas.

BTW Asian is a crude term for this debate as it covers so many races from oriental peoples to religious groups, personally and I am SO not from the PC Brigade but I think the seemingly(unintentional on this forum I believe) crude labelling is devisive and creates tensions between differing groups of people who do not know how to interact with each other despite living in close proximity to each other.

My post was aimed at IMO the way the asian communties refuse to integrate with anyone else but themselves

And being an ex postman i know that the word cleanliness isnt in the asian communities vocabulary - my opinion again

Ive got to be careful what i say here because the PC brigade is alive and kicking on these pages

Couple of glaring logical fallacies there, but seeing that opinions are a belief and not based on facts or proof - there's no point tearing that post to shreds.

If one feels uncomfortable when one thinks they are being racist, I'm glad.

"asians"?

a bit of a large generalization being touted about on this thread.

asia is a huge continent...are you all grouping the japanese, filipinos ,indians, thais etc etc etc here?

its like us all being labeled "europeans" ..

I think it's obvious who the 'asians' refered to are due to the places they are linking them with.

Trying to cause a problem when there shouldn't be one.

I think it's obvious who the 'asians' refered to are due to the places they are linking them with.

Trying to cause a problem when there shouldn't be one.

me?

why not just called them pakistanis,bangladeshis ..that who they are referring to...don't beat about the bush.

i'm sure the chinese community in oldham don't like being lumped into the general categorization of this .

its like all brits being lumped together with the french,germans and spanish...because we're all europeans - right?

get my point?

The downside would be that an awful lot of people would be constantly off their tits and not much work would get done. Personally though I think the legalisation of all drugs would solve a lot more problems than it would cause.

Although agreeing with you largely, I have to disagree with the downside that you see. The currently illegal drugs are pretty much like beer and fags, people make a choice whether or not to use them without that much care as to whether they are legal or not. If heroin was legalised, I would not start using it. If alcohol was made illegal, I would be investigating home brewing, seeking illegal dens and buying shares in kitchen cleaning products. If anything people using clean drugs that they could afford without them having to resort to crime, take the bad stuff or risk getting caught would make them far more able to do a job. It's hardly like people in extremely well paid jobs don't indulge in a bit of the naughty as much as the rest of the population.

me?

why not just called them pakistanis,bangladeshis ..that who they are referring to...don't beat about the bush.

i'm sure the chinese community in oldham don't like being lumped into the general categorization of this .

or maybe "muslims"?

or maybe "muslims"?

That could add a whole world of pain ... :lol:

One thing I have seen developing over the last fifteen years or so in Oldham is that the asian community (*) is making more and more effort to integrate into the town's community at large. They engage in the towns political and cultural affairs in a big way these days.

And using the word community also prompts me to think that white folk could learn a great deal from our asian neighbours about what that word actually means.

Of course, not everything is rosy...

* - I'm perfectly comfortable with using the word "asian" as a term of convenience to describe Oldham's ethnic population ... they're not all Bangladeshi, they're not all muslim, so it seems a useful catch all term.

Edited by garcon

That could add a whole world of pain ... :lol:

One thing I have seen developing over the last fifteen years or so in Oldham is that the asian community (*) is making more and more effort to integrate into the town's community at large. They engage in the towns political and cultural affairs in a big way these days.

And using the word community also prompts me to think that white folk could learn a great deal from our asian neighbours about what that word actually means.

Of course, not everything is rosy...

* - I'm perfectly comfortable with using the word "asian" as a term of convenience to describe Oldham's ethnic population ... they're not all Bangladeshi, they're not all muslim, so it seems a useful catch all term.

:shock:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edited by dfOAFC

or maybe "muslims"?

another can of worms!

i ain't beating any moral drum here,its just the term (IMO) "asian" to me means a huge continent comprising of a huge mix of countries,cultures and religion.

the chinese are different to the japanese...the indians are different to the pakistanis...etc etc.

discussing two types communities in oldham about their attitudes and way of life and lumping them with the rest of asia seems a bit generalized.

Although agreeing with you largely, I have to disagree with the downside that you see. The currently illegal drugs are pretty much like beer and fags, people make a choice whether or not to use them without that much care as to whether they are legal or not. If heroin was legalised, I would not start using it. If alcohol was made illegal, I would be investigating home brewing, seeking illegal dens and buying shares in kitchen cleaning products. If anything people using clean drugs that they could afford without them having to resort to crime, take the bad stuff or risk getting caught would make them far more able to do a job. It's hardly like people in extremely well paid jobs don't indulge in a bit of the naughty as much as the rest of the population.

Exactly - I didn't bother responding because it was the same argument that always gets raised. How did the government get so many people to stop smoking? It wasn't by throwing them in jail, it was through education. Incidentally, if heroin was legalised it wouldn't be dangerous whilst if alcohol was prohibited it probably would be, and be more expensive to boot.

Did you know that a herion addict with a clean supply is healthier than a long time smoker?

another can of worms!

i ain't beating any moral drum here,its just the term (IMO) "asian" to me means a huge continent comprising of a huge mix of countries,cultures and religion.

the chinese are different to the japanese...the indians are different to the pakistanis...etc etc.

discussing two types communities in oldham about their attitudes and way of life and lumping them with the rest of asia seems a bit generalized.

Technically you're right but here in England Japanese, Chinese etc are known as oriental. Americans call them asian. We consider asians to be those of a rough pakistani appearance. They even refer to themselves as asain....."Only if she's asian innit".

This article just about covers all the bases. I defy anybody with any degree of intelligence to read it and insist that "drugs are bad, and should remain illegal." :sleeping: Brainwashed morons.....

Drugs

Eight years on from this article, when will the problem be addressed?

You might I don't ..... utter rubbish

You're not from round here... :wink:

Incidentally, the link to the article in this very post makes reference to Blackburn's 'Asian Community' (apparently they're all skag heads). Elsewhere it refers to 'Soho Chinese', rather than 'Soho Asians'.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Couple of glaring logical fallacies there, but seeing that opinions are a belief and not based on facts or proof - there's no point tearing that post to shreds.

If one feels uncomfortable when one thinks they are being racist, I'm glad.

If you want to tear that post to shreds then im all ears

i didnt feel uncomfortable about any part of that post especially about being racist, cos i aint

i was born, raised and will probably die in a country that is based on free speech, so if people have got a problem with that then its there problem - definately not mine

There are many forms of speech limits we live with, and virtually all support bans on harassment, libel, slander, racism amongst a host of others which are not important right now. Also human rights must be balanced with free speech so that certain types of vocal freedom - such as racism that carries an implied threat of violence can be restricted without jeopardising the human liberties that we all wish to protect.

Free speech ain't what it used to be.

However, I will let a bigoted racist run their mouth off all day long - there's no end to how stupid they sound...

There are many forms of speech limits we live with, and virtually all support bans on harassment, libel, slander, racism amongst a host of others which are not important right now. Also human rights must be balanced with free speech so that certain types of vocal freedom - such as racism that carries an implied threat of violence can be restricted without jeopardising the human liberties that we all wish to protect.

Free speech ain't what it used to be.

However, I will let a bigoted racist run their mouth off all day long - there's no end to how stupid they sound...

so after all that you think im a bigoted racist? am i reading your post right? i cant quite understand it cos you are beating around the bush that much.

can you answer me as a human and not a computer because i cant quite believe what im hearing off you

so after all that you think im a bigoted racist? am i reading your post right? i cant quite understand it cos you are beating around the bush that much.

can you answer me as a human and not a computer because i cant quite believe what im hearing off you

:huh:

If you think it applies to you, that's not my fault now is it? I didn't quote you, nor did I name you in the post. Strange that...

Someone told me that Collyhurst is home to the square mile with the most gun-crime in Europe. No idea whether that is true....

I did some work at Billy Greens pub down there. It once featured on Sky's 'Britain's Toughest Pubs' (as well as in a Beautiful South video).....it was an experience! :lol:

Not true. South Manchester is a lot worse than Collyhurst/Harperhey, though they still have their problems.

Not true. South Manchester is a lot worse than Collyhurst/Harperhey, though they still have their problems.

Whilst it probably isn't true, in my opinion those traditionally infamous areas (Longsight, Moss Side, Hulme etc) are no longer as fearsome as their reputations. Regeneration and police clamp-downs have (I gather) vastly improved their circumstances. Whilst I would still avoid Longsight and Moss Side, if you ask me Hulme is seemingly full of students and trendy sorts - hippies, artists, vegans and the like. Basically those ones who can't afford Chorlton.... :lol: