Incident on Broadway

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He works at Glodwick but doesn't see Glodwick?

Glodwick Road is the Boundary with Roundthorn, so no you dont really see Glodwick

And just to make this clear, my comments throughout this thread are in no way racially motivated, some of my friends are asian and guess what they agree with my views

Glodwick Road is the Boundary with Roundthorn, so no you dont really see Glodwick

And just to make this clear, my comments throughout this thread are in no way racially motivated, some of my friends are asian and guess what they agree with my views

Oh well, you're bound to have Asian friends who happen to agree with you.

what do you say when you go to an Indian for a Bangladeshi? :grin:

[/quote

All these postings about Indians, Chinese and Chippys

Will some one please organise a poll as to which of each

is the best locally

I know this is way of topic and may need to be started off in another thread

Cheers

I was forgetting there are no dirty white neighbourhooods in Oldham.

This is a tough one for me....I'm not thick enough to think that just because someone's a different skin colour they're more likely to be a dirty bastard who throws rubbish in their backings BUT there is absolutely no denying the fact that parts of Westwood, Glodwick and Werneth are the filthiest parts of the Borough. I've literally just come home from Derker and know what Limeside and Holts etc are like - grotty, decaying, not exactly suburbian utopia - but they're not a patch on parts of Westwood, Werneth and Glodwick when it comes to litter, fly-tipping and general filthiness. St Mary's (or what's left of it) is probably still mainly white and very scruffy but I don't think it comes close to the afore-mentioned places..IMO..

Anyway, back to the incident - just want to say RIP to the fella that died. Shopkeeper or drug-dealer, pakistani or Bengali - I don't care, to get shot to death at 21 is harsh..

This is a tough one for me....I'm not thick enough to think that just because someone's a different skin colour they're more likely to be a dirty bastard who throws rubbish in their backings BUT there is absolutely no denying the fact that parts of Westwood, Glodwick and Werneth are the filthiest parts of the Borough. I've literally just come home from Derker and know what Limeside and Holts etc are like - grotty, decaying, not exactly suburbian utopia - but they're not a patch on parts of Westwood, Werneth and Glodwick when it comes to litter, fly-tipping and general filthiness. St Mary's (or what's left of it) is probably still mainly white and very scruffy but I don't think it comes close to the afore-mentioned places..IMO..

Anyway, back to the incident - just want to say RIP to the fella that died. Shopkeeper or drug-dealer, pakistani or Bengali - I don't care, to get shot to death at 21 is harsh..

I guess if you look at it technically, there could be a modicum of truth in it.

(a) The areas are often amongst the lowest socio-economic, and I would guess that this directly relates to :censored:holeness. If you live in a dump you are more likely to treat it as such than if you are in a nice neighbourhood. This would be the same in a white :censored:hole too though.

(B) There will be new people migrating into these areas who are unaware of the social faux pas of littering. This I feel you may not get in a solely white area. Not sure about this as I haven't been to Pakistan, but it isn't an impossibility.

I think there is more of the 'been there, seen a couple of bad places, paint whole lot with same brush' about this though.

NB. I'm going to go straight to © from now on. Well (d) as I don't really want the copywrite symbol.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

I guess if you look at it technically, there could be a modicum of truth in it.

(a) The areas are often amongst the lowest socio-economic, and I would guess that this directly relates to :censored:holeness. If you live in a dump you are more likely to treat it as such than if you are in a nice neighbourhood. This would be the same in a white :censored:hole too though.

(B) There will be new people migrating into these areas who are unaware of the social faux pas of littering. This I feel you may not get in a solely white area. Not sure about this as I haven't been to Pakistan, but it isn't an impossibility.

I think there is more of the 'been there, seen a couple of bad places, paint whole lot with same brush' about this though.

NB. I'm going to go straight to © from now on. Well (d) as I don't really want the copywrite symbol.

In the end people will see what they want to see, and read into it what they want to read into it. But where is this 'a is dirtier than b' claim and counter claim supposed to be taking us?

In the end people will see what they want to see, and read into it what they want to read into it. But where is this 'a is dirtier than b' claim and counter claim supposed to be taking us?

I don't know, but it's fun watching people offend each other by pointing out they live in a dump. But, then, I'm a complete bastard that way. :grin:

I once played in Moss Side, back in the late 90's - some sort of 'Nike 5' event (I think it was 'Puma Street Soccer' actually). I didn't enjoy it - we were knocked out fairly early on and greatly intimidated throughout. :cry:

I played in a Moss Side 5aside league for 2+ years whilst at Uni... they thought they were gangsta but if you just stand up to them they brick it. Although I did get sent off for punching someone. They started it though.

I played in a Moss Side 5aside league for 2+ years whilst at Uni... they thought they were gangsta but if you just stand up to them they brick it. Although I did get sent off for punching someone. They started it though.

Haha! Good on ya - it's amazing how true the bold part is. Although sometimes when you do stand up for yourself you end up getting your chops wobbled... :lol:

Meh! This post can be summed up into legalise drugs, but drugs are bad, not all drugs are as bad as some legal ones. Bits of Oldham is a :censored: hole, that's because tits full of asians- what sort of asian, and bits with very few non-white people are just as bad.

Having lived in the North East for 7 years I can tell you its not the race of the people that make the area a bit rough its the people. (I'm really stuggling to think of some crappy places I've lived/worked in which aren't 99% white). Yes drugs are a big factor but legalising drugs won't make the problem go away. People can get legal heroin by wanting to quit but then they go and score some more than their prescription allows. If you have a drug habit (and believe me there would be a massive rise in people who did have a drug habit if certain drugs were made legal- I'll include weed and ecstacy in that too - they are still quite addictive and last time I had a joint it had tobacco in it- so its worse than cigs) and you can't afford to fund that drug habit because you simply haven't got the money it doesn't matter if the drug is legal or not you are going to do stuff illegal/immoral to fund it. I've met more than one person who has turned to criminal activity to fund a booze habit and that's been legal in this country for ages. Dole money only gets you so far.

Legalising drugs won't improve the bad areas significantly its much more likely to make slightly better areas (where the hard working but still stuggling financially people live) worse as they have extra legal stuff to spend their money on which is addictive. That and the strain on the public sector- treating drug related problems (not matter what the drug) is not cheap for the NHS- means that any increase in tax revenue is likely to be offset.

Plus last time I checked Oldham (and the slightly rougher areas in/near it) is still in the UK. The UK is still a developed country and one of the richest in the world- try seeing what some of the rougher areas of some very poor countries are like when you are the only white face for miles and stand out as such.

People can get legal heroin by wanting to quit but then they go and score some more than their prescription allows. If you have a drug habit (and believe me there would be a massive rise in people who did have a drug habit if certain drugs were made legal- I'll include weed and ecstacy in that too - they are still quite addictive and last time I had a joint it had tobacco in it- so its worse than cigs) and you can't afford to fund that drug habit because you simply haven't got the money it doesn't matter if the drug is legal or not you are going to do stuff illegal/immoral to fund it. I've met more than one person who has turned to criminal activity to fund a booze habit and that's been legal in this country for ages. Dole money only gets you so far.

Sorry, but this is bollocks. The situation you describe is exactly the present one - smackheads going along to the GP and being given sone gear. The vast majority of drug takers are never going to do that, they aren't addicts and would prefer not to to have it made out that they are on their medical records for the next time they apply for a mortgage or think about adopting a child, getting BUPA cover etc. The fact that those getting more than their prescription have to pay black market rates is because Prohibition creates the black market. The fact that 50% of UK crime is caused by people funding drug habits shows that the addicts will do anything to fund their usage anyway.

What is the rally harsh truth, is that everyone should have the right to go to Hell in their own way. A small proportion of drinkers, drug takers, adulterers, gamblers, racer boys, rugby players etc will ruin their lives through it. It's their choice, they should be allowed to make it. Others shouldn't beqr the costs of their choices any more than can be helped, either via criminalising their behaviour or through subsidising lifestyle choices via benefit money

Dole money only gets you so far.

I have an idea about that too...

they aren't addicts and would prefer not to to have it made out that they are on their medical records for the next time they apply for a mortgage

I know the Credit Crunch has been a big hit for lenders, but I'm not aware of needing to provide medical information to get a loan.

Edited by opinions4u

Oh well, you're bound to have Asian friends who happen to agree with you.

Im 30 years old corp not a child who would make up stories that i have asian friends to back my story up :wink:

i think you are wrong of this occasion, never mind eh :wink:

There are many forms of speech limits we live with, and virtually all support bans on harassment, libel, slander, racism amongst a host of others which are not important right now. Also human rights must be balanced with free speech so that certain types of vocal freedom - such as racism that carries an implied threat of violence can be restricted without jeopardising the human liberties that we all wish to protect.

Free speech ain't what it used to be.

However, I will let a bigoted racist run their mouth off all day long - there's no end to how stupid they sound...

There is a hair splitting but IMO crucial distinction that is often overlooked or not noticed. The most common example is the argument that freedom of speech shouldn't entile someone to scream, "Fire," in a crowded theatre, thereby causing panic. In fact though, such a case has nothing to do with freedom of speech - any injuries or damages should be dealt with much the same as if the person had set a flare off, causing perfectly reasonable panic, via the terms and conditions of the ticket etc. By way of contrast, an actor is allowed to shout, "Fire," if it is in the script. There is no law amongst using a sharp knife, as I intend to do shortly. There is a law against stabbing people without due cause. It's my opinion that in the public domain nothing that is a matter of opinion should ever be barred by law - although there are many situtations, such as signing up to a limited members internet forum, where people freely choose to be limited in what they say.

You can tell I'm a renter then ;)

I definitely remember coming across a couple of questions asking about taking illegal substances on my mortgage & insurance application forms....naturally I answered 'no' :wink:

Edited by Yard Dog