Only 26 gosh he seems to have been around forever...Im neither in nor out on my judgment on will..a steady eddie that's all he will ever be and a terrific athlete lucky sod

'However, he missed a large chunk of the 2008/09 campaign after he tore a muscle in his foot during a league game against Celtic.'

and there you have the problem :huh:

Yep, abilitywise I'd have him. But injured too much and may well prove a waste of money that way.

I think he would be decent cover for centre back and at the right money would be a useful addition to the squad.

If Gregan is an automatic starter then I wouldn't sign him, the two didn't make a great partnership last time around.

To be fair from Gregan arriving on loan up until the bad run started in the middle of February '07 (about three months) they were superb. Unfortunately Greegs is three years older and Will has had yet more injury problems. He'd be a useful squad player as cover for Greegs but the one thing we need is a pacy centre-back as Rubes does not fill me confidence at all. If Gregan is to play we need out and out pace.

If Gregan is to play we need out and out pace.

Thats not going to happen is it....if they are that good they wont be playing third tier footy.

Haining is as good as we can expect at this level.

I get the feeling the centre-half we will bring in will be a kid from higher up, it worked very well for Leicester with players like Hobbs, and I'd like to think not every young defender is as poor as Seb Hines.

If Gregan is to play we need out and out pace.

Thats not going to happen is it....if they are that good they wont be playing third tier footy.

Haining is as good as we can expect at this level.

I've heard a guy called Mark Arber has a 'good turn of pace', fairly cultured on the ball as well. He has aspirations of Championship football, maybe we could be the stepping stone he needs?

Edited by LeylandLatic

I think Haining would be a brilliant signing. Thought he was one of the club's best players last time he was here and was sorry to see him leave. Arially there wasn't much that got past him and put him back alongside gregan and i'd say that you'd have the basis of a solid back line. There wouldn't be any transfer fee to worry about and I doubt he'd be requiring huge wages so I think Penney would be daft to not offer him a contract.

I think Haining would be a brilliant signing. Thought he was one of the club's best players last time he was here and was sorry to see him leave. Arially there wasn't much that got past him and put him back alongside gregan and i'd say that you'd have the basis of a solid back line. There wouldn't be any transfer fee to worry about and I doubt he'd be requiring huge wages so I think Penney would be daft to not offer him a contract.

We know he's decent but he'd have to be a squad player imo and fight it out with Greegs for the 'stopper' position. It has to be Rubes or another defender who is quick with Greegs/Will alongside. Look what Blckpool did to us in the Play Offs to see what a possible disaster reverting to a partnership of Greegs and Will could be. I'd sign him though if only for his set-piece threat.

Edited by oafcprozac

*shudder*

I do agree with the point though that a Haining/Gregan partnership would struggle to cope with pacey strikers.

Tbh Stevie Rubes would only be back up if we could get an alternative in. I've no confidence in him at all, I know others see that as harsh but i'm watching Laticsworld highlights at the moment and as often Greegs lost his man in the box Rubes similarly facing his own goal is an accident that happened all too often. A decent squad defender but he needs to regain consistency and injured or not he was dropping the same bollocks in the first half the season according to the highlights on LW.

He's not as slow as Gregan, granted. But he's still slow.

Granted, he's not quick but people make out like you could walk past him. A pacey striker is only a problem if he gets in behind the defenders which would be hard to do if you have two CB's that can read the game well.

I would personally would feel more comfortable with Will and Greegs at the back than with Rubes and his amazing back-pass.

I would personally would feel more comfortable with Will and Greegs at the back than with Rubes and his amazing back-pass.

In fairness to Reuben he won't be playing in front of Crossley this season, and hopefully Brill doesn't take the same Trappist-monk-like approach to shouting for the ball.