Hyde United -vs- Latics - Post Game Thread

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising the new boys get most of the mentions, so some thoughts about the players we know first...

Lomax - excellent first half, very sharp, looks stronger than last season, will push both our first choice full backs all the way for a place.

Hazell - probably the sharpest I've seen him, looks to have shed at least half a stone since the end of the season, hopefully a sign he's back to the player we knew at the start of last season instead of the error prone (and injured?) shadow of himself by the end.

Gregan - definitely fitter and more mobile, so I don't care that his arse is still bigger than Gordon's.

Alessandra - took his goal well, linked up well with Abbott at times, but I still find myself asking for a bit more direct threat.

Whitaker - lovely placed left foot shot for his goal, got into that kind of position often enough but drifted too, can't see him in our best eleven but still a fine squad player for us.

Lee - confused me no end that he wore the same number shirt as Furman. Once I realised it was him, I thought he looked quicker, fitter and more effective than he was last season - I think he could be one to break through this season.

Wolfenden - I REALLY want him to make a go of it, but got knocked off the ball far too easily against non-league defenders ... won't see the best of him until he's match sharp but I think his chance may have gone by then.

Chris O'Grady - started the half slowly but finished it one of our best players, desperately unlucky not to bag, I think he can give us something more this season - he may have to if Abbott gets injured.

Eardley - didn't see enough of him (guessing it was a knock?), but I have a feeling he's going to mature this season and become one of our star players.

Black - getting better all the time, needs games on loan this season I reckon.

Smalley - still growing! Some nice touches, I'd rather see him up front though.

Taylor - bit of a cameo really, some nice little runs to give us a glimpse of what he can (and will) do for us.

Rowney (if it was him!) - (centre midfield second half) - first time I've seen him, looked busy but a bit erratic, at his size he's going to need to be good to make it!

The new boys - Furman looks class, Abbott gives us something we've lacked up front since Porter and Killen and played some lovely little through balls, Jacobson did nowt wrong, Worthington will dominate midfields (can't wait to see him and Furman together), and it was almost like Will Haining was never away (I'd still worry about him alongside Gregan though - too similar).

Of the trialists, I wouldn't mind seeing that centre-half against a decent forward line, the left winger looked decent at times and had a bit of pace for someone with legs shorter than Tommy Wright's, didn't learn much about the forward, the keeper had a great gob on him but had a tendency to punch in a crowd.

lee had to wear a used shirt

someone was winging at half time about the new away shirt that keep the faith was on the inside and that the oldham athletic didnt have a space inbetween on the badge.... cant anyone be happy love to know who that was :grin:

were latics supporters if we dont complain we burn

someone was winging at half time about the new away shirt that keep the faith was on the inside and that the oldham athletic didnt have a space inbetween on the badge.... cant anyone be happy love to know who that was :grin:

I love the new shirt. best in a while. Better fit, better material and looks better than the home shirt (dont have the flux yellow so cant compare to that)

I love the new shirt. best in a while. Better fit, better material and looks better than the home shirt (dont have the flux yellow so cant compare to that)

I love my fluo yellow shirt! it scares off the owl in the woods behind me so i can get some sleep!

was a good design shirt but like the new away kit better

The orange strip along the rear lower edge of the new shirt has suffered a quality control lapse in the sweat-shop. It's been sewn inside out, so on the inside it reads HTIAF EHT PEEK. :sign0007:

It may be an attempt to be all-inclusive by embracing shirt-lifters. :unsure:

Did anyone notice how Dean Furman was always available to accept the ball from defenders and use it well, something which has been badly missing in the last couple of seasons and obviously spotted right away by the manager ?

DP has also noticed the need for a ball winner in midfield, hence what looks a good signing in Jon Worthington.

IMO the makings of a very good team are there once an additional striker and centre back are signed.

Did anyone notice how Dean Furman was always available to accept the ball from defenders and use it well, something which has been badly missing in the last couple of seasons and obviously spotted right away by the manager ?

DP has also noticed the need for a ball winner in midfield, hence what looks a good signing in Jon Worthington.

IMO the makings of a very good team are there once an additional striker and centre back are signed.

Yeah, reminded me a little of Kilkenny in the terms of the fact he was always wanting the ball wherever on the field he was. His passing was very accurate and does the simple things well. Encouraging and although he looks a little lightweight will benefit from having his 'minder' Worthington alongside. Looking forward to the competitiveness increasing over the next couple of weeks and I think Bury on Saturday should give us much more of an idea.

Yeah, reminded me a little of Kilkenny in the terms of the fact he was always wanting the ball wherever on the field he was. His passing was very accurate and does the simple things well. Encouraging and although he looks a little lightweight will benefit from having his 'minder' Worthington alongside. Looking forward to the competitiveness increasing over the next couple of weeks and I think Bury on Saturday should give us much more of an idea.

Also add Purdie to that equation

You wouldn't mind him changing his shorts on the pitch two or three times a game either, would you?

<_< I'm still rubbing in his return.....(but yes, that would surely be worth the admission price alone?)

Right on cue, Stitch!!! :grin:

Ya see.....

lol stitch is that criticism of gregan from you? :blink:

Yep, it was my round-a-bout way of saying I think he's :censored:.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Furman looked very willing, dropping back to pick up the ball from the defence. Very good with his passing too - only 1 misplaced as I recall.

Worthington never stopped talking and making himself available.

I think these 2 could be a very good pairing

Furman looked very willing, dropping back to pick up the ball from the defence. Very good with his passing too - only 1 misplaced as I recall.

Worthington never stopped talking and making himself available.

I think these 2 could be a very good pairing

I was very impressed with both Abbot and Furman