Hyde United -vs- Latics - Post Game Thread

Thanks for the right up lads. BTW, what was the score?

2-0

Whittaker with a well taken goal with his left foot just outside the box. Allesandra the other just before half time.

Abbott hit the post in the 1st half. O'Grady hit the bar twice.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My worries are up front i dont think we have goals in us there we desparately need a prolific frontman i see abbott being someone a decent striker can play off as he has a decent touch but is slow as

Don't forget the manager is to add a striker and a centre back to the squad.

Looks like we should have some good balance down the left flank jacobson looks very capable

My worries are up front i dont think we have goals in us there we desparately need a prolific frontman i see abbott being someone a decent striker can play off as he has a decent touch but is slow as

Agree with you, def need another good striker. I do think Abbott will score a few just think he's lacking a bit of match sharpness

I agree with some of the things said. Whitts goal was a stunner!

MOM - Chris O'Grady in my opinion. Him and PA up front will be a force.

Furman caught the eye but played quite deep.

The big CB trialist had a steady half. Would like to see him get another runout. He is massive!

Haining looked composed and is dominant in the air. Id like us to give him a contract.

Kieran Lee showed some good touches. Think he will figure a lot more next season.

Dare i mention the "Ace of Spades?"

Only you Beardy...

Sounds decent all round, although it was only Hyde after all. Good to hear that the new boys seem to have shone, that's what you want from the ins and outs of the closed season.

im not looking too much into tonight as poor opposition drags you down to their level but you can instanly see who can make it and who cant in final summary of positives and worries

keeper- not seen brill yet

wing backs exite me- eardley and jacobson look class- jacobson even swings a very decent left footed corner in

central defence- rueban and gregan as a base- draft someone else solid enough in e.g. haining and we will be ok

wingers- taylor, smalley decent plus we have purdie too, the flanks will link up well on both sides

central mid- looks very very good- worth not afriad to challenge, furman looks like he will shine and create chances

up front the main worry for me for reeasons already stated

Agree with you, def need another good striker. I do think Abbott will score a few just think he's lacking a bit of match sharpness

Dont forget this is there first game in a while. Abbott isnt going to be the type of player to overly throw himself about in friendlies. Especially given his injury record.

We do need another striker. Think a pacy striker is a must. Someone who can feed off the flick on's that Abbott will no doubt make. He'll prove to be a cracking target man who'll chip in with a fair few goals. Dont forget he was unlucky not too score tonight.

At the moment the only front two you can see at the club starting against Stockport is O'Grady and Abbott. Bit too much like for like those two for me. Both like to hold the ball up and work from there.

Good following from Latics. Attendance given around 710 mark.

Oh yeah im certain DP will have another striker in by then, im just saying thats the one area I think we are lacking a little (and obviously need another CB)

He doesnt seem stupid DP we were stood behind him and could hear him talking he will no that we are lacking up top for sure, dont think he rates wolfy, they both seem to rate this rowney kid all they were talking about at 1 point

Dont forget this is there first game in a while. Abbott isnt going to be the type of player to overly throw himself about in friendlies. Especially given his injury record.

We do need another striker. Think a pacy striker is a must. Someone who can feed off the flick on's that Abbott will no doubt make. He'll prove to be a cracking target man who'll chip in with a fair few goals. Dont forget he was unlucky not too score tonight.

At the moment the only front two you can see at the club starting against Stockport is O'Grady and Abbott. Bit too much like for like those two for me. Both like to hold the ball up and work from there.

My thoughts i like chris o grady i feel sorry for him, you wont see any other player on the pitch that will give their all for the team more than him, but he has to be bench as him and abbott are like for like as you say

I did like the look of Abbott some nice touches, didnt realise how tall he was (quite funny when he was stood with Lewi and Wolfy before the game)

O'Grady should start, coming up against his "former" club on the first day of season, bound to score :wink:

Edited by Butter

I agree with some of the things said. Whitts goal was a stunner!

MOM - Chris O'Grady in my opinion. Him and PA up front will be a force.

Furman caught the eye but played quite deep.

The big CB trialist had a steady half. Would like to see him get another runout. He is massive!

Haining looked composed and is dominant in the air. Id like us to give him a contract.

Kieran Lee showed some good touches. Think he will figure a lot more next season.

Chris ogrady played ok but to me seemed to try a bit too much at times and lost the ball quite often, furman is best as a defensive midfielder and thats were he preferes to play. If they sign that big dopey coloured dude over haining i'll eat my hat. Never really liked keiron lee reminds me a little of mark hughes(the one that played for us a couple of years ago not city boss) theres plenty of effort but dont think we need him!

That keeper looked poor , especialy with them two punches.

Not surprising the new boys get most of the mentions, so some thoughts about the players we know first...

Lomax - excellent first half, very sharp, looks stronger than last season, will push both our first choice full backs all the way for a place.

Hazell - probably the sharpest I've seen him, looks to have shed at least half a stone since the end of the season, hopefully a sign he's back to the player we knew at the start of last season instead of the error prone (and injured?) shadow of himself by the end.

Gregan - definitely fitter and more mobile, so I don't care that his arse is still bigger than Gordon's.

Alessandra - took his goal well, linked up well with Abbott at times, but I still find myself asking for a bit more direct threat.

Whitaker - lovely placed left foot shot for his goal, got into that kind of position often enough but drifted too, can't see him in our best eleven but still a fine squad player for us.

Lee - confused me no end that he wore the same number shirt as Furman. Once I realised it was him, I thought he looked quicker, fitter and more effective than he was last season - I think he could be one to break through this season.

Wolfenden - I REALLY want him to make a go of it, but got knocked off the ball far too easily against non-league defenders ... won't see the best of him until he's match sharp but I think his chance may have gone by then.

Chris O'Grady - started the half slowly but finished it one of our best players, desperately unlucky not to bag, I think he can give us something more this season - he may have to if Abbott gets injured.

Eardley - didn't see enough of him (guessing it was a knock?), but I have a feeling he's going to mature this season and become one of our star players.

Black - getting better all the time, needs games on loan this season I reckon.

Smalley - still growing! Some nice touches, I'd rather see him up front though.

Taylor - bit of a cameo really, some nice little runs to give us a glimpse of what he can (and will) do for us.

Rowney (if it was him!) - (centre midfield second half) - first time I've seen him, looked busy but a bit erratic, at his size he's going to need to be good to make it!

The new boys - Furman looks class, Abbott gives us something we've lacked up front since Porter and Killen and played some lovely little through balls, Jacobson did nowt wrong, Worthington will dominate midfields (can't wait to see him and Furman together), and it was almost like Will Haining was never away (I'd still worry about him alongside Gregan though - too similar).

Of the trialists, I wouldn't mind seeing that centre-half against a decent forward line, the left winger looked decent at times and had a bit of pace for someone with legs shorter than Tommy Wright's, didn't learn much about the forward, the keeper had a great gob on him but had a tendency to punch in a crowd.

Not surprising the new boys get most of the mentions, so some thoughts about the players we know first...

Lomax - excellent first half, very sharp, looks stronger than last season, will push both our first choice full backs all the way for a place.

Hazell - probably the sharpest I've seen him, looks to have shed at least half a stone since the end of the season, hopefully a sign he's back to the player we knew at the start of last season instead of the error prone (and injured?) shadow of himself by the end.

Gregan - definitely fitter and more mobile, so I don't care that his arse is still bigger than Gordon's.

Alessandra - took his goal well, linked up well with Abbott at times, but I still find myself asking for a bit more direct threat.

Whitaker - lovely placed left foot shot for his goal, got into that kind of position often enough but drifted too, can't see him in our best eleven but still a fine squad player for us.

Lee - confused me no end that he wore the same number shirt as Furman. Once I realised it was him, I thought he looked quicker, fitter and more effective than he was last season - I think he could be one to break through this season.

Wolfenden - I REALLY want him to make a go of it, but got knocked off the ball far too easily against non-league defenders ... won't see the best of him until he's match sharp but I think his chance may have gone by then.

Chris O'Grady - started the half slowly but finished it one of our best players, desperately unlucky not to bag, I think he can give us something more this season - he may have to if Abbott gets injured.

Eardley - didn't see enough of him (guessing it was a knock?), but I have a feeling he's going to mature this season and become one of our star players.

Black - getting better all the time, needs games on loan this season I reckon.

Smalley - still growing! Some nice touches, I'd rather see him up front though.

Taylor - bit of a cameo really, some nice little runs to give us a glimpse of what he can (and will) do for us.

Rowney (if it was him!) - (centre midfield second half) - first time I've seen him, looked busy but a bit erratic, at his size he's going to need to be good to make it!

The new boys - Furman looks class, Abbott gives us something we've lacked up front since Porter and Killen and played some lovely little through balls, Jacobson did nowt wrong, Worthington will dominate midfields (can't wait to see him and Furman together), and it was almost like Will Haining was never away (I'd still worry about him alongside Gregan though - too similar).

Of the trialists, I wouldn't mind seeing that centre-half against a decent forward line, the left winger looked decent at times and had a bit of pace for someone with legs shorter than Tommy Wright's, didn't learn much about the forward, the keeper had a great gob on him but had a tendency to punch in a crowd.

Good summary. Now you mention it Abbott does kind of remind me of Porter.

Thought the team in the second half was a lot more lively, which is odd, because I thought the 1st half team looked more like a starting 11 we would play (bar a couple)

Thought that Gregan played well.

Not sure about Lomax, thougt Eardley played miles better.

Hard to assess the midfield in the 1st half as it seemed they were bypassed a lot. Smalley wasnt great 1st half, and as somone else said, Abbott looked a little half arsed.

Second half, more energy, that Rowney was good, though he showed some good touches.

Out of the 2 second half centre backs I though Haining was more solid, as Babajide Ogunbiyi has a few poor passes, but worth a second look.

Impressed with O'Grady, and he defo looked more likely to score. Wolfy wasnt great, but the trialist who came on near the end was a bit wet (and had pink boots)

Wouldve liked to see more goals, but Whits took his well, bit like the goal he scored against leicester!

Interesting to see taylor taking the corners, though if Whits had been taking them, he wouldnt have scored that goal.

Peace out

Your right it was, cant say I was impressed with him but it was one half of football, hard to really see his ability.

Chris Rowney was the most impressive debut I have seen for years. Small but hard and very dominant. The reserves will bring him on well next year.

In thought Haining was by far our best defender tonight. I can see why his similar style of play to Gregan could put some people off playing them together but Haining has a greater range of passes than Gregan and is alot more mobile. The whole team seemed confident when he was on the ball and alot of build up play from the back went through him.

Not sure about Lomax, thougt Eardley played miles better.

Lomax was solid. He was up against Hyde's better left winger who had to go off midway through the 1st half due to a late challenge from Smalley. To be honest. I'm not much of a Lomax fan and prefer Eardley over him, but Kelvin didnt put a foot wrong tonight. Infact it was him who was pretty much talking Smalley through the entire 1st half.

Also. Good to see Eyresy in the stand. Taylor came and sat with him for most of the 2nd half.

Edited by Rocky_Latic