Move away from BP now preferred option

Oh for Gods sake lighten up. The boards getting dull....a different opinion and i am entitled to it. End of broadway is CRAP with a big C. Dont like it at all... you do ...so what. Its just about Oldham and if your in Shaw, Hathershaw, Lees its a bloody long way out of BEING in Oldham.

Google Lancaster Club Oldham and check results........lol M35

Bottom left in Oldham by metres.

Confusingly Rochdale has an Oldham postcode, as does Ashton, the Failsworth site which is IN Oldham has a Manchester postcode lol

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.....its the best spot by far if anyone actually looks at it. You can see the Oldham Civic Centre if that helps.... :blink:

oh and its much nicer place than end of Broadway... :grin:

no awkward neighbours, road structure in place, next to motorway. A supportive local authority...

how would that make us any better than MK Dons?

the day oldham athletic move out of oldham is the day i go to support oldham town

Confusingly Rochdale has an Oldham postcode, as does Ashton, the Failsworth site which is IN Oldham has a Manchester postcode lol

As far away as bacup and it's still oldham postcodes. Tameside has a mix of Oldham, Manchester and Stockport postcodes! Most of east lancs has "Blackburn" postcodes (including Burnley).

Postcodes really mean nothing.

We could always have a new stadium near/just over the border with Milnrow - that's be miles and miles from Oldham town centre, but to some people would be better than Failsworth apparently!

I wonder if some people are just basing their view on havig to drive 4 miles down broadway? It's getting like the league of Gentlemen.

Edited by real

Oh for Gods sake lighten up. The boards getting dull....a different opinion and i am entitled to it. End of broadway is CRAP with a big C. Dont like it at all... you do ...so what. Its just about Oldham and if your in Shaw, Hathershaw, Lees its a bloody long way out of BEING in Oldham.

The postcode means nothing - if i remember rightly -

Rochdale OL11,OL12, OL15, OL16

Bacup OL13

Mossley OL5 or it could be OL10 (not sure)

Ashton OL6,OL7

Edited by creepy

Ashton Moss

Stick it in Tameside at bottom of Ashton Road. Whole new fans to go at. OAFC Oldham Ashton ....runs away.

Great site for ground.

Failsworth .dont like personally 2.7 miles from Citeh. dont doubt it i checked it this morning in car.

Tameside only just a bit further but modern flat site ready to go, great transport links.

It's further from Oldham centre than the failsworth site, it's not in oldham borough and it's 3 or 4 miles further to travel for most fans (albeit on the M60). The only "virtue" in that location is that it's 3 miles from citeh rather than 2 (as the crow flies). Hardly a winning criteria.

Oh and the canal is within 1/4 mile so the narrow boat option works too! Much nearer than the Hollinwood site.

how would that make us any better than MK Dons?

the day oldham athletic move out of oldham is the day i go to support oldham town

The move from wimbledon to milton keynes is over 50 miles

moving the club across the rochdale or tameside border would be less than 5 miles

and we would not change our name

Where did I say I liked the end of Broadway?

For the record, I like the 5-a-side pitches at Avros, thats about it. I would rather we did not move to there, I much prefer the other end of Broadway, and would much rather be in a different part of Oldham to Failsworth. But if its a toss up between Failsworth (just in Oldham) and Ashton (well out of Oldham), I know what I would choose.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

The transport links to the ground too would be second to none and far more accessible than Boundary Park

The current bus routes that serve boundary park, 24 181 and 182 would drop you off right outside the ground

The 82 and 83 between waterhead/sholver, oldham and manc run straight down manchester/oldham road every 10 mins or better

180 and 184 which correct me if im wrong are every 15 mins or better, will provide a direct bus link from saddleworth to the ground

And dont forget the metro which will be running to what is now failsworth station with services between rochdale, oldham and manchester.....

sorry I'll shut up now I sound like a GMPTE spokesperson

but the point being is the ground will be a hell of alot easier to get to for most people

I totally agree.

Lets make the move.

The facilities at the Lancaster Club are very good. I played for Avros when I was young and they were okay then, but they've increased tenfold since.

I suspect we'll lose some fans wherever we move; hopefully, we'll get more new ones in their place.

what the f**k has the post code of failsworth got to do with anything? its still oldham and its the only place that the TTA can put the ground and attract new fans. there are 3 pubs near the gound the spinners at the bottom of broardway (its shut now but im sure it would open again if a new ground was bult there) the lamb in further down and one just down from there (i cant remember what it is called) and the lancaster club is a listed building so that cant be knocked down. The buses run up oldham road ever 10 mins roadway is a dual carrageway and its not far from the m60.

in my opnion is that its the bet place for it

and

FALSWORTH IS STILL OLDHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just hope the board have the balls to stop listening to the fans, get on and rebuild the stadium some where....

No matte what they do they are going to piss off at least 25-50% of the fans... So just piss them off, let them have their moan and lets move this club forward...

I bet the vast majority of people who moaned when Bolton moved where sat their come first game in the new stadium... Likewise every other team that has moved...

Edited by oafc0000

I am absolutely flabbergasted that some people think Failsworth is in Oldham - FFS, learn something about the local area people. It's just like people lumping us (Oldhamers) in with Manchester. Just because Failsworth is served by OMBC does NOT make it a part of Oldham.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that some people think Failsworth is in Oldham - FFS, learn something about the local area people. It's just like people lumping us (Oldhamers) in with Manchester. Just because Failsworth is served by OMBC does NOT make it a part of Oldham.

Royton is a town

Shaw is a town

Chadderton is a town

Oldham is a town.

Only one of the above is "in" Oldham as a town. They are all, along with Failsworth, in "Oldham" as a borough. As Failsworth is not and has never been part of Manchester, it is NOTHING like lumping Oldhamers in with Manchester.

Royton is a town

Shaw is a town

Chadderton is a town

Oldham is a town.

Only one of the above is "in" Oldham as a town. They are all, along with Failsworth, in "Oldham" as a borough. As Failsworth is not and has never been part of Manchester, it is NOTHING like lumping Oldhamers in with Manchester.

Real, I agree with all of that actually.

Royton, Chadderton and Shaw are towns/districts in their own right BUT they cannot be compared to Failsworth. Most people in Royton, Chadderton and Shaw see Oldham as 'town'. In my experience, very few people in Failsworth associate themselves with Oldham unless they originally came from Oldham....you know this as well as I do.

Real, I agree with all of that actually.

Royton, Chadderton and Shaw are towns/districts in their own right BUT they cannot be compared to Failsworth. Most people in Royton, Chadderton and Shaw see Oldham as 'town'. In my experience, very few people in Failsworth associate themselves with Oldham unless they originally came from Oldham....you know this as well as I do.

But then we end up in a muddy area; a lot of people in middleton see a stronger association with oldham than anywhere else. I'd bet a fair number of people in oldham only consider it as "where they live" rather than any actual tie to the place. People are so much more mobile than they were 20 or even only 10 years ago that it's becoming much harder to pin down a town to any sort of tie.

On that basis, anywhere within about 5 miles of the town centre would be ok for me.

On that basis neither is Royton

But would you be happy if it was on the Rochdale side of the border? It'd probably have to be Kingsway business park.

Would you rather that than in Oldham MBC at failsworth?

And just for info, I think most failsworthians see themselves as Failsworthians - not Oldhamers or Mancs, some see more affiliation to the Oldham side of things, others to the Manchester side.

And if we want to get more fans, we've tried the local Oldham people, and it doesn't seem to be working, so we're going to have to move towards an area where there are fewer current oldham fans - inevitably that's going to mean more "manc" fans, unless we move more than 20 miles!!

Really? Well if you're from Failsworth I'll bow to your superior knowledge but from my experience virtually everyone I know from there (and I know a few) vehemently deny any association with Oldham unless they're from their originally. They probably do class themselves as Failsworthians first, but virtually to a man and woman will see themselves as Mancs before Oldhamers.

Try as a might I just can't class that area as Oldham. It's JUST inside the Failsworth border and is surrounded by Moston on one side and Newton Heath the other, and not many of them class themselves as Oldhamers I can assure you. There will be a lot of local opposition to building it there, because basically, whatever some GMC bureaucrat decided when they re-jigged the boundaries, it isn't in Oldham.

Very interesting (and very quick) comments from Failsworth Dynamos on their website.

I won't even quote it, as it would spoil the surprise.....

http://www.failsworthdynamos.co.uk/news.aspx

(think they migth have slipped up on Objective 2 - I'm presuming)

edit (no.2) - they ahven't slipped up scroll down to 15/02/09 - rather a problem for the person who said if latics move to failsworth, they'll support oldham town!

Edited by real

Really? Well if you're from Failsworth I'll bow to your superior knowledge but from my experience virtually everyone I know from there (and I know a few) vehemently deny any association with Oldham unless they're from their originally. They probably do class themselves as Failsworthians first, but virtually to a man and woman will see themselves as Mancs before Oldhamers.

Try as a might I just can't class that area as Oldham. It's JUST inside the Failsworth border and is surrounded by Moston on one side and Newton Heath the other, and not many of them class themselves as Oldhamers I can assure you. There will be a lot of local opposition to building it there, because basically, whatever some GMC bureaucrat decided when they re-jigged the boundaries, it isn't in Oldham.

Like the "muddy" issue - how many are "original" failsworthers and how many moved there after it was part of oldham? I don't have the figures, but I bet it's a right mix-up.

But at the end of it all, if you want it in OLDHAM, there's only OL1 OL8 and OL4 (iirc) to choose from. Pretty difficult.

Very interesting (and very quick) comments from Failsworth Dynamos on their website.

I won't even quote it, as it would spoil the surprise.....

http://www.failsworthdynamos.co.uk/news.aspx

(think they migth have slipped up on Objective 2 - I'm presuming)

edit (no.2) - they ahven't slipped up scroll down to 15/02/09 - rather a problem for the person who said if latics move to failsworth, they'll support oldham town!

Excellent stalking Real. It seems that our owners have seen the obvious pitfalls coming and acted first. If there is a significant expansion of playing fields open to local clubs and other users of sports facilities then it will be a bonus for the area in my book.