Them were the days

The eagle and Hotspur.......never heard of them...(36)...Dandy and Beano, you must have been posh!! :wink:

They were the previous weeks hand me downs, then they went on the lavatory paper peg (the Eagle was too shiny). :(

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made by Burtons :lol:

I'll never forget the week we beat both Blackpool (2-1) and Burnley (2-0) in the same week around 77-78? boy did we start off badly against Blackpool? a cross over from the right by Bob Hatton and flick headed home into the top corner from near the edge of the box by Mickey Walsh but we came back to win :grin:

In the Burnley game they had a striker bandaged up around the head, turned out to be Steve Kindon, anyone remember these games???

Also that bloody awful Boxing day performance against Blackburn Rovers when we got stuffed 0-3 :disappointed:

I'll never forget just how cold it was that day on top of the result :shock:

Having to get special permission from the league to play that game because it was an away game and we wanted to swap as we had under soil heating and Ewood Park was frozen over (how the mighty have fallen!) thought we'd win easy and steal a march on our rivals at the top of the league who weren't playing. The season all went *** up after that!

Having to get special permission from the league to play that game because it was an away game and we wanted to swap as we had under soil heating and Ewood Park was frozen over (how the mighty have fallen!) thought we'd win easy and steal a march on our rivals at the top of the league who weren't playing. The season all went *** up after that!

Yep I agree...............................................we should have gone Ice skating instead :lol:

How good was Simon Garner that day? and the guy who looked like one of the Three stooges (Noel Brotherstone)

Still, fond memories and a winter of discontent

Edited by OLDHAMADE

were in derker u from? i used to live on marble street

Used to live on Vulcan Street - Stoneleigh Park end. We lived in the last house that is now right near the library /school. There used to be a path that went past our house to the "back fields" and led to Seddon Atkinson. I remember going for a job interview there - I walked it! Derker was a great place to live in those days apart from the odd scrapes/fights etc. Not sure what it's like now.

Think I used to deliver papers on Marble Street.

Used to live on Vulcan Street - Stoneleigh Park end.

I used to go to the Fish & Chip shop on Vulcan street :lol:

Also used YIPS near watersheddings and MAN HO on Huddersfield road, both still there I think :shock:

no matter how much of a recession you never see Chinkies disappear

Also used YIPS near watersheddings and MAN HO on Huddersfield road, both still there I think :shock:

Me too - I used LOVE that chippy. Fish, chips and gravy (yes, really!)... Mmmm... :lol:

I used to go to Yips after a skinful on the Hill and then onto Sheddings (again, yes really!). And it didn't bother me that they were closed or said "Nothing left!" when I knocked on the window. Eventually, they agreed to open up and sell me their leftovers at inflated prices... :lol:

Heady days!

I lived on stoneleigh st park end till I defected to royton at 21. I used to have a paper round at the shop on abbotsford rd. I remember being jealous as hell of those with rounds at the London road shop cos they were paid loads more!

MAN HO = HELL NO

i can tell you a few tales about hygene at that particular chippy :sick01:

What do you mean young man . . .both subs? Only one for a long time & none before that.

Also - forget the Pink - that was a Manc rag. What about the Green Final? That was a proper paper. Kick for kick Latics report.

The Green Final was ace. Couldn't help noticing though how ill the players looked in there though. Didn't matter if they won or lost, they always looked a bit green around the gills! :shock:

A wall of noise and smells hitting you as you took up your place on the Chaddy end Terrace

The smell that always sends me back is that :censored: the players used to spread on their legs, like vaseline stuff. You could smell that all around BP, just as you were approaching the turnstiles.

I used to come from over Clayton Fields, so you'd hear the PA while you were walking towards the Clayton Arms. Stuff like "Walk The Dinosaur" by What Not Was or "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band was typical of the late 80's. Then home after the game where I'd try and replicate Tommy Wright's blazing run down the wing in the yard behind the back garden, even in the dark. Then my dad would make crispy pancake and chips and after that I'd go up to the paper shop to pick up the Pink Final, trying to read it under a street lamp before I got home as my dad would take ages with it.

Bring on Failsworth though.

The smell that always sends me back is that :censored: the players used to spread on their legs, like vaseline stuff. You could smell that all around BP, just as you were approaching the turnstiles.

Wintergreen. Mmmm...

I used to come from over Clayton Fields, so you'd hear the PA while you were walking towards the Clayton Arms. Stuff like "Walk The Dinosaur" by What Not Was or "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band was typical of the late 80's. Then home after the game where I'd try and replicate Tommy Wright's blazing run down the wing in the yard behind the back garden, even in the dark. Then my dad would make crispy pancake and chips and after that I'd go up to the paper shop to pick up the Pink Final, trying to read it under a street lamp before I got home as my dad would take ages with it.

Bring on Failsworth though.

liddiment? Hearing Mouldy Old Dough and seeing the oppo run out first before the Latics team ran onto the field, none of this walk out with the ref bollocks or fair play handshake cobblers.

Often I wouldn't be able to make the game so would spend many a pre-pubescent afternoon in the company of David Oates or James H. Reeves 'it's a goal' OH NO! on my little transistor radio holed up in my bedroom. Come 6 o'clock I would be in the queue for the Pink Final at 'The Green' paper shop on Fitton Hill, good days when football had an innocence...

Catching the first glimpse of the Broadway stand as me and my dad walked past the football pitch where B & Q car-park is. A wall of noise and smells hitting you as you took up your place on the Chaddy end Terrace, the crap black and white programme that cost 50p, the guy with the squeaky voice at the back of the Chaddy End and the tea trollies coming round the perimeter of the pitch - oh and the Ashdene and Windsor Clock between the Lookers and the Rocky. It was an even bigger :censored:-hole back then but that WAS Latics to me. BP died years ago, that's why a new stadium wouldn't be that much of an upheaval for me, despite the fact Swindon Town on 22nd August will be my 700th League and cup game watching Latics, but the experience truly died at BP in 1991 when the Chaddy End died. The paddocks were good until '94 but could never replace the experience.

Very true...

liddiment? Hearing Mouldy Old Dough and seeing the oppo run out first before the Latics team ran onto the field, none of this walk out with the ref bollocks or fair play handshake cobblers.

Often I wouldn't be able to make the game so would spend many a pre-pubescent afternoon in the company of David Oates or James H. Reeves 'it's a goal' OH NO! on my little transistor radio holed up in my bedroom. Come 6 o'clock I would be in the queue for the Pink Final at 'The Green' paper shop on Fitton Hill, good days when football had an innocence...

Oh yeah, "It's a goal!" Haha! And then you'd get all dismayed because it was reports of a goal for Bury or something.

Yep, innocent times.

Oh yeah, "It's a goal!" Haha! And then you'd get all dismayed because it was reports of a goal for Bury or something.

Yep, innocent times.

Tell yer what Jamie, we're in our early thirties and are already reminiscing like 'owd men! I think I'll start drinking real ale and buy a touring caravan, oh and that cardie looked comfy in Greenwoods window the other day... :shock:

Tell yer what Jamie, we're in our early thirties and are already reminiscing like 'owd men! I think I'll start drinking real ale and buy a touring caravan, oh and that cardie looked comfy in Greenwoods window the other day... :shock:

Haha yeah. Already started. And "But are they comfortable?" is predominantly my first thoughts when checking out footwear!

I often wondered when the transistion occurs between young and old y'know. I think we have our answer.

Yep, innocent times.

Funniest time was the 5-0 at Sheff Utd, we were at a New Year framily get together and I was playing out (as 10 year olds do) with my cousins, but my cous had a little radio on his BMX and we were listening to the game, so every time we scored "Dad, Dad it's 2-0, 3-0 etc... when we scored the fifth my cousin got a clip round the ear for being a 'lying little sod...' he felt rather guilty when James Alexander Gordon confirmed...

Funniest time was the 5-0 at Sheff Utd, we were at a New Year framily get together and I was playing out (as 10 year olds do) with my cousins, but my cous had a little radio on his BMX and we were listening to the game, so every time we scored "Dad, Dad it's 2-0, 3-0 etc... when we scored the fifth my cousin got a clip round the ear for being a 'lying little sod...' he felt rather guilty when James Alexander Gordon confirmed...

:lol: Love it...

This thread is seriously depressing....

Football really is :censored: these days... Feel sorry for the young ones who will never know any of this...

Likewise I feel sorry for all of you who are too young to have known the 'good old days' before 'them were the days'.

I hope in fifty years time Latics supporters are reminiscing about the magic of the three-sided BP, and the days when the new BP in the Failsworth part of Oldham had only a 12,000 capacity before expansion to accommodate all the bandwaggon-jumpers. :grin:

Likewise I feel sorry for all of you who are too young to have known the 'good old days' before 'them were the days'.

I hope in fifty years time Latics supporters are reminiscing about the magic of the three-sided BP, and the days when the new BP in the Failsworth part of Oldham had only a 12,000 capacity before expansion to accommodate all the bandwaggon-jumpers. :grin:

You can dream :)