Season tickets...

I don't buy all this "can't afford it" sh1te...

If people can't afford a season ticket, they can't afford to go shopping, go to the pub, pay for petrol, and pay for general living costs.

It's not a life-changing amount of money you have to pay, its much less than a weeks wages!

hows the ivory tower, mate?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it? The one in the 80s seemed worse (well it did here anyway - Boys From The Blackstuff might as well have been a documentary)

This one seems to be worse in its scope, and few areas of the world seem immune to it.

The reason why it seemed worse in the early 1980s was that the wholsale (and deliberate) dstruction of Britain's industrial base was taking place. A process which has left us, as was exposed by the financial crisis last year, with very little to fall back on. An economy based on finance and McJobs and a country where youngsters don't seem to leave school until they're about 24.

We would probably be feeling the current recession more if the effects weren't being masked by 'quantitative easing,' and the banking bailout.

This one seems to be worse in its scope, and few areas of the world seem immune to it.

The reason why it seemed worse in the early 1980s was that the wholsale (and deliberate) dstruction of Britain's industrial base was taking place. A process which has left us, as was exposed by the financial crisis last year, with very little to fall back on. An economy based on finance and McJobs and a country where youngsters don't seem to leave school until they're about 24.

We would probably be feeling the current recession more if the effects weren't being masked by 'quantitative easing,' and the banking bailout.

I'll have you know Corp, there is nothing wrong with a McJob - it has enabled me to get a season ticket after months of unemployment earlier in the year.

Granted though, I do work for head office :wink: .

Anyway, back to the point of me bothering to log in to reply on this thread, I just wanted to provide an example of how things may not add up financially for OAFC Lover.

I got made redundant in March of this year and didn't start working until the end of June.

Mortgage circa £500 per month, dole £65.30 per week (I think, it is there-abouts anyway).

Forget the rest of the bills, my mortgage was only just half covered.

There are plenty of people who find themselves in the position I was in only a month or so ago - I would hazard a guess that there are more than a few worried enough about their positions to take a long hard think over the purchase of a season ticket.

It is a luxury that many can't afford.

Derek.

:ass3: you're boring

pop yer cherry, have a family and all the associated costs and then come back on here and spout your idealistic bull:censored:. As Derek says, when you are living from hand to mouth Latics are way down your list of priorities. everything must be hunky dory living off mummy and daddy at the moment, but sooner or later you will enter the real world and for you, that is going to be a massive shock...

Edited by oafcprozac

Yes, I understand that...but surely after them bills theres some spilling over into your bank which would cover the season ticket once a year?!

You cant be telling me that them bills cover every penny of your income...

And mummy and washes my clothes, puts me on her lap and feeds me a bottle of milk at night, and tucks me in, protects me from the big bad world outside.[/i]

And I got myself a part-time job and do private music lessons. Why?

Just corrected the glaring omission from your post.

I'll have you know Corp, there is nothing wrong with a McJob - it has enabled me to get a season ticket after months of unemployment earlier in the year.

Granted though, I do work for head office :wink: .

Anyway, back to the point of me bothering to log in to reply on this thread, I just wanted to provide an example of how things may not add up financially for OAFC Lover.

I got made redundant in March of this year and didn't start working until the end of June.

Mortgage circa £500 per month, dole £65.30 per week (I think, it is there-abouts anyway).

Forget the rest of the bills, my mortgage was only just half covered.

There are plenty of people who find themselves in the position I was in only a month or so ago - I would hazard a guess that there are more than a few worried enough about their positions to take a long hard think over the purchase of a season ticket.

It is a luxury that many can't afford.

Derek.

I wasn't sneering, rest assured.

lol.

by the way, i will still be going to matches next season. just can't afford to pay for the season ticket up front.

i do not buy season tickets because i have to work compulsory some saturdays.

this may also be the case for others too. also if the total is embarrsingly low, they may not want to tell anyone if they ask at the ticket office.

Finally an answer, thanks Gaz.

In the circumstances, I don't think 2600 is actually that bad. And over the season, the club may even benefit slightly from a number of former season ticket holders who haven't bought one this time but will more than likely pay £20 on the gate more than 15 times this season.

The rest of the thread did leave me with one question.

(Oh by the way, in my day people studying A-levels were still at school and would therefore be referred to as schoolchildren. :wink: )

That question ... oh yeah, what happened between the days when (proper) students lived hand to mouth on £3k a year and had to work all summer to just about scrape enough together for food and the end of term train ticket home, and now where it seems students p*ss money away like water then get to their early 20s and complain that they've got a debt of twenty-five grand and still can't spell properly?

Finally an answer, thanks Gaz.

In the circumstances, I don't think 2600 is actually that bad. And over the season, the club may even benefit slightly from a number of former season ticket holders who haven't bought one this time but will more than likely pay £20 on the gate more than 15 times this season.

The rest of the thread did leave me with one question.

(Oh by the way, in my day people studying A-levels were still at school and would therefore be referred to as schoolchildren. :wink: )

That question ... oh yeah, what happened between the days when (proper) students lived hand to mouth on £3k a year and had to work all summer to just about scrape enough together for food and the end of term train ticket home, and now where it seems students p*ss money away like water then get to their early 20s and complain that they've got a debt of twenty-five grand and still can't spell properly?

£3k a year, well after you've paid your tuition (over a £1000/year) that leaves £2000, I dare anyone to live on £2000 for 6 months nevermind a year- when you can't get a council house (you try getting a room for under £30/week in any where near a college/uni). Actually I'm in the fortunate position in that as I've been at uni for so long my tuition fees are around a grand a year if I was just starting it would be £3000- that would leave me with nowt to live on.

In the good old days when students lived off grants- Tuition fees didn't exist, rent wasn't extortion, and Beer was a £1/pint (in expensive places). That and going to places like Hopwood Hall didn't entitle you to call yourself a univerity student and you couldn't get a degree out of it. Make of that what you will.

I will admit some students spend away their loans in the first weeks they get them and then moan about it when they graduate with a degree in something fairly useless that they can't get a job and are left in mountains of debt. But a lot of students who end up in serious debt through no fault of their own- try living for 4 years in London (6 for some course and 7 if you do a PhD).

I feel a Viz Top Tip coming on...

KIDS: Enjoy untold wealth. Get a job instead of going to university.

The student industry is an example of what can be termed social parking. A tool for keeping unwanted numbers away from the jobs market, and off the unemployment figures, with the added benefit of getting people in debt and forever under obligation to the banks before they're even out of short trousers.

Bull:censored: Britain, in other words. Courtesy of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair.

The student industry is an example of what can be termed social parking. A tool for keeping unwanted numbers away from the jobs market, and off the unemployment figures, with the added benefit of getting people in debt and forever under obligation to the banks before they're even out of short trousers.

Bull:censored: Britain, in other words. Courtesy of Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair.

It's amazing how much we spend "educating" kids in second rate universities (that used to be called polytechnics) to get degrees and then get a job in a shop.

And then open the borders to invite the rest of Europe, Asian and Africa in ...

Edited by opinions4u

It's amazing how much we spend "educating" kids in second rate universities (that used to be called polytechnics) to get degrees and then get a job in a shop.

Just purely for an example I have a friend who has a friend who works for Stevenage council in Herts, speaking to him yesterday he was saying that a vacancy had come up for a car park attendant, duties included: going out to fix barriers and pay and display machines..(you get the general job description)..salary £18,000 qualifications required: a degree in I.T. and another form of qualification regarding computers, forget now, nothing to do with this thread but do the council have high expectations or the standard of degree lower now than what it were in days gone by....?

Not quite as simple as that though. For a start, we, like all countries, don't have open borders but immigration controls. (Whether these are too liberal or otherwise is a debate that probably will never be resolved.) Nor are all categories of immigrant the same. For example, the massive influx of Poles in recent years were here because successive governments have, for good or ill, signed us up to the developing European single market. Most Poles are only here temporarily, and many have already gone back due to the recession. Like most immigrants from wherever, they end up working in menial jobs. Only a small minority of highly educated immigrants get highly paid skilled jobs.

Meanwhile, the expanding student population, many of whom, as you say, obtain largely worthless degrees from second and third-rate institutions, nonetheless expect well-paid jobs, usually at managerial level (or with a chance to rise to that level), even if many end up working in shops and other menial jobs for a time. Hence we have resources directed into the public services eaten up by bureaucracy as more jobs are created to soak many of them up, and the government sinks further into debt. Yet still higher education continues to expand, allegedly because post-industrial Britain needs legions of highly skilled young people. To do what, exactly, nobody seems certain, as the number of highly skilled jobs seems limited nowadays.

Even if I'd had chance to go into higher education, I don't think I'd have bothered if it meant ten grand-plus of debt at twenty-one. It's insane.