goalkeepers who catch crosses

after watching this brill fella for a while im a little concerned on this aspect, both the boro gols were almost the same. yes gregan was beaten for the header for the second, but he cant win every header all game, and being beaten for a header by robert huth isnt too bad really.

i havent seen us with a keeper that can catch a ball from out wide since we had that chap from derby a while back.

after watching this brill fella for a while im a little concerned on this aspect, both the boro gols were almost the same. yes gregan was beaten for the header for the second, but he cant win every header all game, and being beaten for a header by robert huth isnt too bad really.

i havent seen us with a keeper that can catch a ball from out wide since we had that chap from derby a while back.

I haven't seen a keeper at this level who is able to consistently command his area, even some keepers in the Prem have a habit of staying on there line too much.

PS. How long does it take for your picture to produce something interesting, nothings happened now and it's been 3 minutes :unsure:

I used to play between the sticks a good few years ago and we were taught that if you could get both hands to it then catch it as there is less chance of the ball taking an awful deflection.

Mmmmm Mr Brill.......i noticed that last weekend with Sunderland, personally I'm not a big fan of coming out and punching unless as a keeper you are at full stretch and there is no chance of a clean catch but you dont know that until the kick has been taken........I expect we'll see some misjudgements sometime this season.

I haven't seen a keeper at this level who is able to consistently command his area, even some keepers in the Prem have a habit of staying on there line too much.

PS. How long does it take for your picture to produce something interesting, nothings happened now and it's been 3 minutes :unsure:

Keep looking and you'll find out!

i wouldnt mind the odd punch....but he was rooted for every cross

I wasnt there for the Boro match due to working away all week but Im not a fan of keepers who punch, I'd rather they stay on their line unless they are 100% sure they're going to get the damn ball, at least that way they're in the right position and not left in no-mans land.

Gathered them into the path of an opposition player more often than not!

Maybe second time round under Shez he was more dodgey, after Christmas in the play-off season, think he lost confidence.

Crossley got a nose bleed just by looking further than his goal line, never mind stepping of it, him and Day must have had vertigo, certainly didnt like to jump much!!!

One of my Latics favs for taking crosses was Harry Dowd, not tall but when he came for the ball he shifted everyone - including his own team mates, he had a safe pair of hands too.

Edited by BP1960

Gary Kelly, made very few mistakes IMO, all round good keeper with no problems with crosses.

He was, isn't it stange we are talking here about smaller Latics keepers who commanded their area.

Also all were extemely agile.

Edited by BP1960

Maybe second time round under Shez he was more dodgey, after Christmas in the play-off season, think he lost confidence.

Crossley got a nose bleed just by looking further than his goal line, never mind stepping of it, him and Day must have had vertigo, certainly didnt like to jump much!!!

lol. made me laugh nice one.

Jon Hallworth was also very good catching crosses.

He was,

Anyone remember Peter McDonnell who was great at catching crosses, his technique of a knee high in air made many an opponent wary around the penalty area :grin:

Edited by BP1960

Agreed mate! Been a regular since 1989 and Gary Kelly is the best keeper i've seen playing for Latics....by a country mile, especially for a short arse!

hallworth the season we won the league was untouchable in my eyes, most consitant ive seen a keeper in my time watching latics.

pogs was good aswell until littlejohn did for him :ranting:

hallworth the season we won the league was untouchable in my eyes, most consitant ive seen a keeper in my time watching latics.

pogs was good aswell until littlejohn did for him :ranting:

Hallworth had it all; commanding his area, shot stopping and a bloody good sweeper when the back pass rule came in, if I remember correctly.

I've always blamed Littlejohn for Pogs losing his confidence. At his best, defenders always knew where they were with Big Les - letting him deal with cross after cross.

Edited by Bristolatic

Anyone remember Peter McDonnell who was great at catching crosses, his technique of a knee high in air made many an opponent wary around the penalty area :grin:

Peter McDonnell was a great keeper imo. He was unlucky to be understudy to Ray Clemence at Liverpool, otherwise he would have been a Div 1 keeper, no doubt. Wasn't his nickname Barabbas? I think he was a bit odd in that he took goal kicks right footed, but cleared from his hands left footed. Nigel Batch at Grimsby did the same. Oh well, they reckon you've got to be a bit daft to be a 'keeper.

Hang on, I was one in my playing days. :blink: