OH MY GOD....you really, really, really do not get it, do you? You really think that the move is about gaining new support to keep us financially stable? It really really isn't!!!

The financial stability will come from the 365 days use of the complex and as it is now, us regular Joes going through the turnstile won't make F-all difference!!! It's the business offices and conferencing facilities which will, and this again raises huge doubts over the idea of moving....why? Coz who would chose us over Eastlands, the Sheridan Suite, numerous places all over Manchester? The whole point is that these facilities were an alternative, for Oldham businesses, on the M62 etc. Instead, we're moving it on the competitions doorsteps...both on the pitch and off it! TTA are in it for a land deal...in 5yrs time they'll leave and be happy in their own minds that we're better off. I'm highly sceptible that we will be!!!

If they are building offices, closer to Manchester and good transport links will be beneficial when trying to attract businesses to occupy them I feel.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GOD....you really, really, really do not get it, do you? You really think that the move is about gaining new support to keep us financially stable? It really really isn't!!!

The financial stability will come from the 365 days use of the complex and as it is now, us regular Joes going through the turnstile won't make F-all difference!!! It's the business offices and conferencing facilities which will, and this again raises huge doubts over the idea of moving....why? Coz who would chose us over Eastlands, the Sheridan Suite, numerous places all over Manchester? The whole point is that these facilities were an alternative, for Oldham businesses, on the M62 etc. Instead, we're moving it on the competitions doorsteps...both on the pitch and off it! TTA are in it for a land deal...in 5yrs time they'll leave and be happy in their own minds that we're better off. I'm highly sceptible that we will be!!!

NB: Just so ppl don't forget...I'm not saying moving to Failsworth is something I'm dead against. But I'm also very far from convinced by it. I'm saying I want to see facts and figures. Amounts that can be made from selling the land, what we'd get at BP if we redeveloped for £10m and what £20m could offer and then we can compare that to the £20m in Failsworth etc. and decide on all possibilities...All this isn't going to happen tho...so I am not happy to say moving is bang on the right decision. And that redeveloping BP isn't an option. I'm not that thrilled to move out for a land deal...yes, TTA deserve to earn...but at what cost to us? In a place where our support neither rises or falls, in a place where offices and suites are 3rd choice over established venues around etc. And still, not 1 single person has answered a question I endlessly ask...why were we told 4yrs ago "Ferney Farm is the only viable option" in Oldham for a stadium but suddenly that isn't true now? Now that they don't want to redevelop on a smaller scale. IT DOESNT ADD UP!

give up ross.

me and others have been banging the same drum since news broke,some here are too blind to be bothered about the real reasons.

anyway,the fans will be given 2 choices-go or don't.

Risk upsetting regulars with a move further away from your existing fanbase in order to try and attract one or two curious people with nothing better to do on a saturday? No serious business group would ever consider that to be a clever move.

Nobody is ever going to convince me this is about attracting support. Ferney Field would have stood a chance of attracting a few from Mills Hill, Middleton etc, but moving to Failsworth will be like chucking the speccy kid in with a classful of school bullies - they'll already be ridiculing us from their armchairs as we are even planning this.

This is about maximising / protecting their investment. I fully understand and accept it. I just don't like people trying to pull the wool over my eyes by saying this will benefit my club, when the real reasons are being disguised behind veiled threats of impending doom.

Would people have been happier if the new ground was proposed for , say, Uppermill or Grasscroft? Politically part of Oldham, historically part of Yorkshire, an OL postcode? When we say that Taylor is from Oldham would we extend that to someone from Failsworth?

Like it or not Failsworth , like Saddleworth, is a part of Oldham as local government boundaries are concerned.

Edited by LaticsPete

The political boundaries have been discussed over and over again. It is the catchment area, not the postcode, nor any other geographical tag that matters. Grasscroft and Uppermill simply wouldn't provide enough bodies through the turnstiles.

Postcodes and official boundaries aside, how many people feel that Failsworth is part of Oldham? I lived on the doorstep of Failsworth for 26 years and always considered it Manchester.

Personally always thought it was Oldham... I grew up in Hollins...

I do not think anyone has said that is what the move is about. We are just saying it could be an additional benefit.

I actually share a lot of your concerns...

Edited by oafc0000

NB: Just so ppl don't forget...I'm not saying moving to Failsworth is something I'm dead against. But I'm also very far from convinced by it. I'm saying I want to see facts and figures. Amounts that can be made from selling the land, what we'd get at BP if we redeveloped for £10m and what £20m could offer and then we can compare that to the £20m in Failsworth etc. and decide on all possibilities...All this isn't going to happen tho...so I am not happy to say moving is bang on the right decision. And that redeveloping BP isn't an option. I'm not that thrilled to move out for a land deal...yes, TTA deserve to earn...but at what cost to us? In a place where our support neither rises or falls, in a place where offices and suites are 3rd choice over established venues around etc. And still, not 1 single person has answered a question I endlessly ask...why were we told 4yrs ago "Ferney Farm is the only viable option" in Oldham for a stadium but suddenly that isn't true now? Now that they don't want to redevelop on a smaller scale. IT DOESNT ADD UP!

Bang on! One more question: Will the extra facilities to keep Oldham Athletic a viable concern (as promised) 24/7/365 will these extra facilities see their profits going to OAFC (2004) or Brassbank LTD? Just wondering like... :wink:

I think to be honest we already know the answer...

Edited by oafcprozac

Bang on! One more question: Will the extra facilities to keep Oldham Athletic a viable concern (as promised) 24/7/365 will these extra facilities see their profits going to OAFC (2004) or Brassbank LTD? Just wondering like... :wink:

I think to be honest we already know the answer...

Finally a real talking point rather than Failsworth or capacity! This is what concerns me, is any development of ours really going to draw in enough money from external sources to keep the football club afloat, no matter whats going on on the pitch. I think it depends on whether this development is done on the cheap, or whether real thought has been put into it.

This is what concerns me, is any development of ours really going to draw in enough money from external sources to keep the football club afloat, no matter whats going on on the pitch.

I have always been quite dubious about this external revenue thing. I can't see how offices and banqueting facilities, or whatever, would ever make enough profit to have much impact on a football club's spending power. I could be wrong though as most clearly see it as a holy grail...

I have always been quite dubious about this external revenue thing. I can't see how offices and banqueting facilities, or whatever, would ever make enough profit to have much impact on a football club's spending power. I could be wrong though as most clearly see it as a holy grail...

Well to add to that, I very much doubt the new ground will cost in the region of 430k a yr to maintain

If they play their cards right with the facilities, hopefully more fans will have their pre match pint etc inside the ground

Regarding the extra facilities ie soccerdome,banqueting facilities ect, would be interesting to see any projected profit these facilities would produce that would go back into the club

Well to add to that, I very much doubt the new ground will cost in the region of 430k a yr to maintain

If they play their cards right with the facilities, hopefully more fans will have their pre match pint etc inside the ground

Regarding the extra facilities ie soccerdome,banqueting facilities ect, would be interesting to see any projected profit these facilities would produce that would go back into the club

Was no one else really shocked at that figure £430k ? I mean seriously, what on ???

Or was that number including the cost of dropping the Lookers stand ?

Edited by oafc0000

Was no one else really shocked at that figure £430k ? I mean seriously, what on ???

Or was that number including the cost of dropping the Lookers stand ?

The figure includes all the club's maintenence - BP, training facilities, Groundsman etc. Possibly even utility bills! Quite a misleading figure in that sense - it paints a picture of £400k+ spent on essential repairs.

Match day facilities is a key - a club owned boozer or two would probably pull in what an astro pitch would! They could have a family one and an adults only.

kaskemoor school has soccer pitches that are in the 5 a side league...they are basically booked solid every day 6 days a week,maybe 7.facilities are limited but its raking in cash very quickly.so something along these lines only a bit bigger would also bring in a good amount over a year....no maintanance costs initially so were already saving over 400k.

the conferencing offices and banquitting etc...well how longs a piece of string....buisnes will pay good money for good services so who knows.

at present what extra income does the club get other than matchdays???? basically zero..so if these facilities take off and the club earns an extra say million to make things easy,thats a bonus is it not.

added to that,we may see a slight increase in customers on matchdays,its all extra to what we currently get.

The figure includes all the club's maintenence - BP, training facilities, Groundsman etc. Possibly even utility bills! Quite a misleading figure in that sense - it paints a picture of £400k+ spent on essential repairs.

exactly so like I said complete bollocks. The new ground would cost probably more to maintain if all your factord above are taking into account. But a couple of bulbs and a bit of paint here and there (that is already peeling away) does not amount to £400k in'maintenance costs'. Utility bills etc.. are running costs as are salaries for the pitch monkeys.

The political boundaries have been discussed over and over again. It is the catchment area, not the postcode, nor any other geographical tag that matters. Grasscroft and Uppermill simply wouldn't provide enough bodies through the turnstiles.

I don't think we could find a piece of land cheap enough - or flat enough - in Grasscroft or Uppermill.

:wink:

Try to turn around and shout it as Mr Corney's brawny henchmen carry you off towards the special cells beneath the RRE

Question:

"Simon, can you demonstrate just how far you played OAFC's fanbase for fools using this ukulele, powerpoint and the medium of dance?"

Question:

"Simon, can you demonstrate just how far you played OAFC's fanbase for fools using this ukulele, powerpoint and the medium of dance?"

Simon can you show your figures for spending £400k + on 'ground maintenance' in the last year, write them on the back of this fag packet...

Edited by oafcprozac