as the oil supplies begin to dwindle and the producers start to diversify their investments, and not just in football.

Could you let me me know what these diversified investments might be so I can be in on the anticipated boom ?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be true, but does it mean that they should never be questioned?

I believe they have the club's interests at heart, but they've made many mistakes.

It's always possible we'd have gone out of business without TTA's intervention, but it's more likely that some other deal would have been reached and we'd either be better or worse off than we are now.

In terms of TTA themselves, yes they were the ones to save us, no that doesn't mean we should never question them, and ultimately I'd rather have inexperiences club owners who have the club's interests at heart and (hopefully) learn from their mistakes along the way than most of the alternatives.

To the postcode crew - still no comment on OL14 then? :wink:

This is a fair comment but how many football fans do you know that look at things in a poitical/geographical was when refering to there footy team?

"We're not part of Manchester, we're not pa-a-a-rt of Man-ches-ter!"

Quite a few I'd wager...

With BP being no more than a ten minute walk (for me anyway) from the centre of Oldham, that's a pretty Oldham location, as far as I've ever been able to see.

Civic centre Oldham to BP - 1.2miles for an average walker 24mins .... for a sprinter like Corp 10 mins

Civic centre to Lancaster Club 3.6 miles 1hr 13 mins

I agree 0000, I hope by moving into a new area Latics will actually gain support. It's sucess or failure is now down to us .. the fans

For the record I'm concerned by the Failsworth move dragging the stadium out of the reach of our traditional fan-base. From what I can see Royton, Shaw and Chadderton which are on that side of town give us healthy support, while I'd say the same about Lees, Grotton, Waterhead and that side of town. It does seem to me from my experience that the areas of Oldham from which we don't get support are the predominantly Asian wards, about which the club seems to try and do something, and the Failsworth / Hollinwood side of town.

Moving to Failsworth could be a great way to invigorate support there, but I just hope it isn't moving the ground slightly out of reach of young fans on the other side of town. I appreciate that it is only down Broadway, but if one doesn't drive that isn't too helpful.

Good site with everything we need for my money, but I don't like the location.

For the record I'm concerned by the Failsworth move dragging the stadium out of the reach of our traditional fan-base. From what I can see Royton, Shaw and Chadderton which are on that side of town give us healthy support, while I'd say the same about Lees, Grotton, Waterhead and that side of town. It does seem to me from my experience that the areas of Oldham from which we don't get support are the predominantly Asian wards, about which the club seems to try and do something, and the Failsworth / Hollinwood side of town.

Moving to Failsworth could be a great way to invigorate support there, but I just hope it isn't moving the ground slightly out of reach of young fans on the other side of town. I appreciate that it is only down Broadway, but if one doesn't drive that isn't too helpful.

Good site with everything we need for my money, but I don't like the location.

There is a big support base in Hollinwood / Limeside etc.... I know, I used to live there...

I used to travel from Hollins to BP via bus I really dont think its going to be all that hard for people in Royton / Shaw to do the same... It still only two buses.... Was two buses from Hollins.... Price on the bus is the price of a day saver...

Edited by oafc0000

This link should settle it and quotes - Failsworth has never been part of Manchester, The confusion comes when the post office continues to route our mail via the Manchester sorting office rather than the Oldham office. We must not assume that our postal address is the be all and end all.

Failsworth IS in Oldham

Edited by BP1960

What-so having got fed up with a PL team with world class players on its books that they've paid for, they'll start looking at a nearby third division club with a 12000 capacity stadium?

In any case, the Arabs seem to be putting down real roots at Eastlands. We'll see more of this kind of thing over the coming years, as the oil supplies begin to dwindle and the producers start to diversify their investments, and not just in football.

was thinking more about picking up a few stray disgruntled souls nowt else really. :unsure:

This link should settle it and quotes - Failsworth has never been part of Manchester, The confusion comes when the post office continues to route our mail via the Manchester sorting office rather than the Oldham office. We must not assume that our postal address is the be all and end all.

Failsworth IS in Oldham

25% think they are from Oldham...

Population is about 20,000... So that is possibly 5,000 extra fans we can attract ?

Edited by oafc0000

Our biggest problem with attracting fans is that we are too close to Manchester. So what do we do? Move even closer. Genius. If you look at Bolton, they were wise, they moved further away.

Would we have more fans if we moved further away from the traditional bases? I don't see that finding an even winier hillside on the edges of town would have done a lot for us.

25% think they are from Oldham...

Population is about 20,000... So that is possibly 5,000 extra fans we can attract ?

Does it necessarily follow that just because they regard themselves as Oldhamers they support Latics? After all, the town itself is full of people who primarily support the Manchester clubs, even if they say they have time for Latics as well.

Would we have more fans if we moved further away from the traditional bases? I don't see that finding an even winier hillside on the edges of town would have done a lot for us.

The anwser in attracting new fans from anywhere is a successful team on the up.

Could you let me me know what these diversified investments might be so I can be in on the anticipated boom ?

Read up on it. The Arabs will be looking to invest in all manner of things across the world in coming decades.

As long as a war for the remaining oil doesn't put an end to all of us.

Civic centre Oldham to BP - 1.2miles for an average walker 24mins .... for a sprinter like Corp 10 mins

Civic centre to Lancaster Club 3.6 miles 1hr 13 mins

I agree 0000, I hope by moving into a new area Latics will actually gain support. It's sucess or failure is now down to us .. the fans

I'll have you know I've more than once disembarked from an 82 outside the Civic Centre at gone helf seven for an evening kick-off, straight from work, and made it into the ground before a ball is kicked, and without breaking into a run.

How is it down to the fans to gain support for the club in virgin territory (where the vast majority actually support two much bigger clubs)? Sounds more like it's up to the club to me.

Does it necessarily follow that just because they regard themselves as Oldhamers they support Latics? After all, the town itself is full of people who primarily support the Manchester clubs, even if they say they have time for Latics as well.

Of course not... But its still a possible source of new fans we can attempt to tap :)

Edited by oafc0000

Of course not... But its still a possible source of new fans we can attempt to tap :)

Why was the question treating you like a moron?

Surely the club already tries to target people in Failsworth, along with the rest of the town. It doesn't take a relocation to target a particular area of the borough. Does it?

Surely the club already tries to target people in Failsworth, along with the rest of the town. It doesn't take a relocation to target a particular area of the borough. Does it?

I edited my post pretty dam quick... Do you just hit refresh like a million times a second :lol:

Of course it dose not take relocation... Having a whopping great big shiny new football stadium in walking distance may well attract people who have never thought of going before. I would of thought this would of been indisputable to be frank.

Does the club target anyone? The marketing of the club is shambolic at best, I don't think they target any areas to attract new fans.

The irony...is there any bigger scaremongering than Corneys "OAFC is dying" emotional blackmail or the sharing with Dale nugget that's been thrown in to get people onside?...It's funny how that was never said when redevelopment was the buzz word and we marched against the council.

Is that scaremongering though or telling the truth?

Maybe Im naive but while I certainly dont think the TA are saints I do believe they have the clubs best intentions at heart otherwise they would have f*cked us off ages ago when it was obvious the town would not back the team. Remember the TA are here to make money off the BP land, they could easily just sack off the club and sell the land which makes me think they do want to see the club do well.

Of course that was never said when the redevelopment was the buzzword, the redevelopment was going to save the club. In case you hadnt noticed though there has been a vast change in the economic climate since the redevelopment was the "buzzword". I just dont think the redevelopment is viable, I get the impression the TA cannot afford it, or get the necessary parties involved to get the investment needed. Wasnt it an £80m project? Maybe it was always a bit ambitious without the council involved, would private investors really get that return on their money developing in Oldham? I think maybe not. The TA are rich but they are not so rich that they can click their fingers and up springs the redeveloped BP hotels, appartments and all.

So we are left in a crumbling BP now with 3 stands to cut costs, with low attendances, despite having the best sustained period or league finishes since we have fallen into this division. We keep losing large amounts of money each week, which I guess comes out of the TA pocket. They dont want to spend the rest of their lives bankrolling a team which gets little support from the town and who can blame them. I am pretty sure when they go there will not be a large queue of people willing to have a go at pumping their hard earned cash into the club either. I would say they are not far from the truth saying the club is dying. Take away the TA investment and the club is not in a healthy position.

I was always under the impression that the same reasons were touted for the original redevelopment. That is the club would not survive in its current state. The redevelopment has fallen through, so they are pursuing other avenues to try and make the club sustainable.

For the record I still dont 100% believe that this redevelopment will still go ahead, there have been too many false dawns at Oldham before. Ill believe it when I am sat in the new ground wathcing the start of a new season.

On the flipside, although admittedly to a lesser extent, surely the fact they don't atually live in the borough of Oldham doesn't completely rule out the possibility that the good people of Newton Heath might consider supporting Latics?