• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lancaster club has an M35 postcode, and look on the map to see where that postcode falls

postcodes_500.jpg

Probably not the comment you're looking for here Carl, but when you look at the map in political/geographical circumstances - the more one thinks it's not the best geographical move for the club....

does it really matter that much..?

what is important is the viability and sustainability of the club.IMO

I really couldn't give a monkey's chuff where they build it, so long as it provides for the future stability of the club and helps the club progress.

At least something is happening...(crosses fingers and toes)

and in 5 years time when the Arabs have had enough of their plaything at Eastlands and city go proper tits up...who knows what might happen..??

lets stop moaning and whinging about this issue and get behind the team, here's hoping for a superb start to the season B)

Probably not the comment you're looking for here Carl, but when you look at the map in political/geographical circumstances - the more one thinks it's not the best geographical move for the club....

But looking at that map, is it really so different from Bolton playing in Horwich?

Lancaster club has an M35 postcode, and look on the map to see where that postcode falls

postcodes_500.jpg

Why is a Post code relevent.

There are other argumetns, but the Post Code one is th emost ridiculous.

Created purely on the location of the Post Office Sorting Office locations, nothing to do with the geography of the area.

Created purely on the location of the Post Office Sorting Office locations, nothing to do with the geography of the area.

This is true....if you look at the postcodes on that map then Bury doesn't technically exist.

The more I think about it, and looking at that map makes it even more obvious, its a bad idea to move to Failsworth. Our biggest problem with attracting fans is that we are too close to Manchester. So what do we do? Move even closer. Genius. If you look at Bolton, they were wise, they moved further away.

I think you are missing the point. Carl is saying that the new stadium will be in the area marked M35 on the map (which is the postcode, but that isn't relevant). According to the map, M35 is part of Oldham and not Manchester.

Even if Oldham moved to Manchester, watching Oldham in Manchester is still infinitely better than there being no OAFC anymore. If TTA's said it is up to the fans, we either move the stadium or let the club die - how many of you nay sayers would vote for the club to die?

TTA's have done so much for this club, and if this move makes our survival more sure, then it is exactly what we need and should do.

I think you are missing the point. Carl is saying that the new stadium will be in the area marked M35 on the map (which is the postcode, but that isn't relevant). According to the map, M35 is part of Oldham and not Manchester.

Even if Oldham moved to Manchester, watching Oldham in Manchester is still infinitely better than there being no OAFC anymore. If TTA's said it is up to the fans, we either move the stadium or let the club die - how many of you nay sayers would vote for the club to die?

TTA's have done so much for this club, and if this move makes our survival more sure, then it is exactly what we need and should do.

Re Blue in Aus, that was my point entirely.

Re OAFC0000, as was pointed out before, by the same balmy way of thinking Bury and Rochdale dont even exist

Hi Blue

I tihnk we are at cross purposes, I do support the momve, and those that are saying the post code is not a very good reason becasue of the reasons Post codes were invented.

The proximity to MAnchester is valid, and actaully I was doing a Google map, and it is a risk going so far away.

But the risk of doing nothing is great, I feel.

EDIT that did not work

OAFC, new OAFC, MCFC

Edited by singe

I have ALWAYS viewed the club as being closer to Royton than Oldham. Having grown up in Hollins its always seemed far away and its well out of town really Its never been a factor in if I support the club or not. Its Oldhams football team. Its location dose not change that for me.

I dont think if you live in the out skirts for example that if its at BP or if its a the bottom of broadway its going to make a lot of difference. As long as its easy enough to get to, which it will be.

I have ALWAYS viewed the club as being closer to Royton than Oldham. Having grown up in Hollins its always seemed far away and its well out of town really Its never been a factor in if I support the club or not. Its Oldhams football team. Its location dose not change that for me.

I dont think if you live in the out skirts for example that if its at BP or if its a the bottom of broadway its going to make a lot of difference. As long as its easy enough to get to, which it will be.

A 5 min drive from the motorway absolute max

High frequency metrolink going straight past the ground

Several high frequency bus services going down manchester/oldham road

Cant really get any easier imo

postcodes_500.jpg

Thanks for the map Carl, just what I need to ask this:

Will all those bleating on and on and on about Failsworth not being in Oldham because it has a Manchester postcode please, PLEASE look at this map and tell us all whether they'd be happy with a new ground in OL14.

there is no oldham part of failsworth or failsworth part of oldham 'failsworth is manchester'

You can't see a problem with Oldham no longer playing in Oldham ........ ?

Glad to see there is a few of us that are not on our own, seems like everyone is just shining sunshine out of there ass since this move was announced, i'm with you 2 :grin:

This is a fair comment but how many football fans do you know that look at things in a poitical/geographical was when refering to there footy team?

Following the barmy way of thinking being presented by some then Manchester United is not even in Manchester.... Its in Trafford...

Bury play in Bolton...

And Rochdale play in Oldham....

Taxi!

Manchester United don't play in Manchester, but in a seperate borough. It does, however, have a Manchester postcode.

The other three do play within the boundaries of the towns they represent, despite having the postcodes of neighbouring towns (it's the office where their mail is sorted.) If we move to Failsworth we will, as people keep saying, still play within the boundaries of the borough of Oldham. The only real issue (apart from the small capacity and possible tinpot design) is the wisdom of moving the club's home to an area that isn't a traditional heartland of Latics' support.

With BP being no more than a ten minute walk (for me anyway) from the centre of Oldham, that's a pretty Oldham location, as far as I've ever been able to see.

Manchester United don't play in Manchester, but in a seperate borough. It does, however, have a Manchester postcode.

The other three do play within the boundaries of the towns they represent, despite having the postcodes of neighbouring towns (it's the office where their mail is sorted.) If we move to Failsworth we will, as people keep saying, still play within the boundaries of the borough of Oldham. The only real issue (apart from the small capacity and possible tinpot design) is the wisdom of moving the club's home to an area that isn't a traditional heartland of Latics' support.

I do not think you can consider the area around BP to be a "traditional heartland" of support for us either though. Must people seem to travel to the area from other areas in Oldham and beyond.

We do have a lot of fans in the Chadderton, Hollins and Limeside areas.

Edited by oafc0000

and in 5 years time when the Arabs have had enough of their plaything at Eastlands and city go proper tits up...who knows what might happen..??

What-so having got fed up with a PL team with world class players on its books that they've paid for, they'll start looking at a nearby third division club with a 12000 capacity stadium?

In any case, the Arabs seem to be putting down real roots at Eastlands. We'll see more of this kind of thing over the coming years, as the oil supplies begin to dwindle and the producers start to diversify their investments, and not just in football.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I do not think you can consider the area around BP to be a "traditional heartland" of support for us either though. Must people seem to travel to the area from other areas in Oldham and beyond.

We do have a lot of fans in the Chadderton, Hollins and Limeside areas.

Isn't nearby Royton a Latics heartland, even if you take into account the plastic Reds and Sky Blues?

Most areas of the borough could be considered heartlands, particularly those you mention. Failsworth can't, not least because of its largely Mancunian makeup.

We have all questioned TTA s (now 4 ) intentions for the club but I believe that without their intervention there would be no Oldham Athletic

This may be true, but does it mean that they should never be questioned?

I believe they have the club's interests at heart, but they've made many mistakes.

Isn't nearby Royton a Latics heartland, even if you take into account the plastic Reds and Sky Blues?

Most areas of the borough could be considered heartlands, particularly those you mention. Failsworth can't, not least because of its largely Mancunian makeup.

I would agree that Failsworth is not a traditional heartland. I do however think that new fans can be found there. Having a football club on your door step is going to have an impact on that I would think. I also think people from the Chadderton, Hollins and Limeside areas are now more likely to attend.

It really could work out either way but I really do not think the move is going to see a dramatic decline in support and I am very hopeful moving may actually increase support. We simple dont know though and its impossible to second guess.