Appeal - Forum on Monday

I don't actually think the Barry Owen £12M figure was a typo....if you look at similar (recent) developments, I would have thought that £12M was about right. The £20M cost actually released is probably the likely cost of the whole development I would have thought.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry, I can appreciate your concern at the lack of tickets sold but I would be very surprised if there were many left after tomorrow.

A lot of fans, like me, will be killing 2 birds with 1 stone by picking tickets up before the match.

The criticism of the nominal charge and venue location is just ridiculous. Radcliffe School is almost slap bang between Boundary Park and the proposed site in Failsworth so nobody can have any complaints on that count. As for the £2 entry, if anyone values their input at the forum at less than 2 quid, then the rest of us are probably better off for their absence.

so,will there be anyone from failsworth area there voicing their opinions/concerns etc?

just that if they want to go ,they will have to go to latics to get a ticket .....inconvienience to them..

all sounds very one sided.

Yeah, it's a massive journey.

As for being one sided....sure hasn't been on here.

Yeah, it's a massive journey.

As for being one sided....sure hasn't been on here.

no,i'm talking about local residents who don't see why they should have to travel to latics to get a ticket to go to a public debate,when its on their doorstep.

unless they are able to buy their tickets from a local establishment nearby.

it won't be one sided in that sense,it'll just be one set of latics fans v another set.

the general local public's opinion won't be heard..non latics fans.

so to conclude my actual point...if its just going to be latics fans,why not hold it in the rochdale road end?

is it so to be seen to be on "neutral " ground to appease the locals?

"we'll have it on a neutral venue,but the locals will be vastly outnumbered because they will be inconvenienced by having to travel to latics ground...latics fans will be there anyway cause there is a home game saturday"..

hidden agenda??

Barry,

Apologies that I cannot make the forum on Monday but working in London and living in Warwick make it logistically impossible.

Is there any other organised way that I(and others who can't make it), can show our support for the proposal?

Cheers

Rob

Good point Rob. I will make a note of your name to show the support of those fans living away from Oldham. If anyone else want to do the same just leave a note on here.

I think you written support may also be invaluable when it comes to later stages of the development. I am thinking of planning in particular.

Thanks for posting . Are you a member of the Trust ?

Barry

So what is this for?

Latics fans to go to their local ground and get knowledge of the new ground and ask questions. That I say is so.

Failsworth residents to travel and have their say, and put pay to their fears. No. Too far away, won't bother. Not in a million years.

This should have been done in two sections. Firstly Failsworth residents, finding out what they feared and trying to remove these problems (set in Failsworth). Then over in the RRE or a local venue with Latics fans.

It seems to exclude Failsworth folk, who we really want on our side as soon as possible.

Seen it. Done it. This is lip service to pass the planning application.

NB. I am in favour of the application.

heard it once, heard it twice, marched a fouth or is it fifth (when asked to) sixth or is it seventh? apathetic.....that's apathetic not athletic . 20,000 thou we had over 40,000 now it's 12,000 thou muted BP developed 16,000.... see it when I see it. OR chat about it for £2.....AGAIN!

Edited by Lags

I don't actually think the Barry Owen £12M figure was a typo....if you look at similar (recent) developments, I would have thought that £12M was about right. The £20M cost actually released is probably the likely cost of the whole development I would have thought.

So you're saying Barry is lying about his typing error!

Barry,

As I understand it are you not the supporters mouth-piece on the board through the Trust? If so, then I would have thought that for those fans who you deem apathetic / uninterested / lazy / tight-fisted you are proving to be a poor one.

This debate is about everyone, and regardless of the attendance I would expect my representative as a fan (as I understand it, that is you) to carry ALL the supporters concerns into this meeting. I must confess I wasn't aware of the location, timing or charge and even had I been I would not be able to attend. In my stead, I will expect you to take my concerns to the meeting and set them before the club's representatives.

I do not feel it is your place, or anyone else's for that matter, to come onto a forum and criticise fans who in many cases have plowed thousands of pounds into the club over the years, over their non-attendance of a forum. Nor do I think it appropriate that you single out the comments supporting your own thoughts for praise on this site.

I do feel it is your responsibility to be aware of the concerns surrounding the capacity (which I don't share), and the location of the ground (which I increasingly do share), and to carry those to the decision makers. There are a number of threads you can research to gauge opinion, and I sincerely hope you will do so.

This might sound very naff but will people please note its address. Someone said to me catching the bus as its at the old school....NO it isnt. If you turn up on Broadway your in for a shock.

The Radclyffe School

Hunt Lane

Chadderton

Oldham

OL9 0LS

And while you're there, have a look across the fields at the back - It'd make a wonderful place to build a new ground. :peepwall:

Barry,

I will definitely be there. It's about time people in Oldham and surrounding areas get behind the club or it may come to no football team or rugby team for any fans to attend and watch.

I'm quite sure, as I said in an e-mail to the Oldham Chronicle, which they obviously refused to print, that those residents that refused the original plans for the stadium on Clayton Playing fields will be very happy when OLDHAM ATHLETIC move to a new stadium and they end up with a retail park in front of their houses.

Oldham Athletic fans get behind the club and tell these council and Failsworth residents that a football club brings money to the town and they should already know because when we were in the Premiership they sure got behind the club then.

P.S. --- I am Oldham born and bred and now live in Stockport but I will follow Latics until I die no matter where the ground is.

Edited by OLDHAM4ALWAYS

Did anyone buy a Forum ticket yesterday? If so what is its number?

Wonder if there will be a 'lucky ticket' draw for a vegetable hamper? :unsure:

No I didn't BUY a ticket to a forum which is going to discuss "WHAT" exacatly?

It would appear that SC has decided that this is the best chance of getting his money back and we the real fans of OAFC were not consulted before the decision was made as to where our new "STATE OF THE ART STADIUM"(now where have I heard that before) is going to be built.

If you genuinely believe that this move is in the best interests of OAFC'S future then fair enough but as a 48year supporter of this club then I would sincerely ask you to put blind optimism aside and think about it very carefully before backing a scheme which could very easily result in the extinction of the club that is supposedly very dear to you.

Edited by BRAT

It would appear that SC has decided that this is the best chance of getting his money back and we the real fans of OAFC were not consulted before the decision was made as to where our new "STATE OF THE ART STADIUM"(now where have I heard that before) is going to be built.

If you genuinely believe that this move is in the best interests of OAFC'S future then fair enough but as a 48year supporter of this club then I would sincerely ask you to put blind optimism aside and think about it very carefully before backing a scheme which could very easily result in the extinction of the club that is supposedly very dear to you.

I share your concern and presume you are a cert to be attending the Forum.

I share your concern and presume you are a cert to be attending the Forum.

I will certainly attend the forum if there is the slightest chance of getting the location of a new stadium changed but can you honestly say that this is a possibility?

I will certainly attend the forum if there is the slightest chance of getting the location of a new stadium changed but can you honestly say that this is a possibility?

Lots of 'hoops' need to be jumped through before the proposal is finalised. The Forum is the opprtunity to get answers to your questions. Even if you're not satisfied with the answers, at least you'll know you didn't accrpt it without question.

I would sincerely ask you to put blind optimism aside and think about it very carefully before backing a scheme which could very easily result in the extinction of the club that is supposedly very dear to you.

Think its meant to do the opposite. Did anyone watch the Football League show yesterday? It has Peter "I turned Latics down" Risdale on saying that Cardiff City needed to move it is was to make any money. I think the show also said that 30 of the 40 (okay, I can't remember the exact number) top teams in English football had moved into new grounds and that was key to the success.

I don't know why Oldham fans are always so cynical. Okay, we've been promised new grounds before, but I'm sure there's not a chairman in the world that says a process like this isn't a easy one. Nothing in property ever runs to plan and anyone with an ounce of a brain should know that.

Agree with OldhamSheridan's suggestion above that the forum should have been a two part session, one in Failsworth and one at BP.

However, whilst some may see a low turnout as disinterest, on the other hand it could also be a sign of support. I can't make the forum anyway as I work until 8.15, yet even if I could, I wouldn't be going to the forum. The whole purpose seems to me (whether it's the official line or not) to be to address grievances from certain parties and to get more people behind the move. Well I'm well behind the move. I feel no need to travel (and pay) to go to a forum to listen to and argue with people who aren't happy about moving - that's the job of TTA and whoever else is on the panel. I dare say many share those sentiments - people who support the move so, bearing in mind everything that is discussed is going to be reported back in some form or other after, aren't exactly going to go out of their way to attend an event essentially for Latics fans against the club moving forward and Failsworth residents against extra traffic 23 times a year.