Proposed site of new ground

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You let me have it. Woof! If only you could inform me about the impending doom of OAFC due to the lack of ambition in another barely related thread.

How can you claim that a thread about the proposed stadium location is barely related to the fact that a downscaled existence in a cut-price stadium is now clearly the extent of the club's ambitions?

How can you claim that a thread about the proposed stadium location is barely related to the fact that a downscaled existence in a cut-price stadium is now clearly the extent of the club's ambitions?

Serious question Corp...... what do you think the club should be aiming for? What do you see as the best case scenario for the future state?

Serious question Corp...... what do you think the club should be aiming for? What do you see as the best case scenario for the future state?

I strongly suspect that, due to incompetence and negligence on the part of successive boards, we have gone past the point of no return to be quite frank. Other clubs not unlike ours manage to make a go of things, but not Oldham, so it seems.

The frightening thing is that that the little tinpot stadium may well be the best case scenario unless something drastically fortunate happens regarding the club infrastructure. And that's if it actually gets built, which is by no means guaranteed.

Re income from Footy pitches

Yes they will. These things make an absolute fortune.

THey may make a small profit after running costs have been considered but enough to run a professional football club, are you mad?

Edited by laticsrblue

I dont understand why the council dont let the club build on clayton fields & then move the playing fields up to where BP currently is now. Then we would not have the problem of moving far away (eg. Failsworth, Alexandra Retail Park etc) I think this idea was preposed as the "Stadium 2000" idea if i'm not mistaken.

It isnt as big as the failsworth site but its gotta be a fair whack bigger than where we are now.

How many acres is the current BP site?

It’s frigging massive. That’s how come they were planning to build a Corp-sized stadium, 700 flats, a car park, a hotel, a range of shops and conference facilities for 1000 guests on it.

It’s frigging massive. That’s how come they were planning to build a Corp-sized stadium, 700 flats, a car park, a hotel, a range of shops and conference facilities for 1000 guests on it.

Unless they are planning on putting all the football pitches, sports hall and carpark on top of each other they will need more space than BP has got.

Latics fans who I have spoken to including those in my family, in pubs, at the home game, and without exception all of my latics supporting mates are all opposed to us moving to Failsworth. Some even go so far as to say that they wouldn't go to the new stadium.

The people who seem to support us moving to Manchester are posters on here who don't live in Oldham and those handful of latics fans who live in Failsworth. I'm not saying that TTA will become the new pete winkelman if we do move to this bizarre location, but it will effectively be the end of OAFC and its increasingly detatched supporters.

Its in the wrong location, its the wrong size and its not right for latics.

Latics fans who I have spoken to including those in my family, in pubs, at the home game, and without exception all of my latics supporting mates are all opposed to us moving to Failsworth. Some even go so far as to say that they wouldn't go to the new stadium.

The people who seem to support us moving to Manchester are posters on here who don't live in Oldham and those handful of latics fans who live in Failsworth. I'm not saying that TTA will become the new pete winkelman if we do move to this bizarre location, but it will effectively be the end of OAFC and its increasingly detatched supporters.

Amen to that.

Do you actually know Breeze Hill? (even if in Springhead) the site is VAST you could build 2 stadiums a long way from houses and have a link road to bottom of Roundthorn Rd and Abbbeyhills Road & Lees New Road, You have the Holts Valley, and very little property at bottom of Roundthorn Road. I wouldnt expect it to be built on the site of the old school buildings!!!! Although the pool, sports hall and some of facilities like the new block could be major facilities for community use.

How the hell Failsworth is easier for you to get to is beyond me.

Coal pit lane is a non starter on costs alone despite being a great location.

I agree the area is vast, but it's miles from any motorway network, no trains/trams, plenty of buses though. The roads will get clogged up easy as the access road is at the bottom of Lees Road, there's a load of housing next to the school and I doubt they'll be happy with the traffic every matchday, it would be worse than BP is now. Roundthorn Road is very narrow in places. Would just be chaotic.

I can catch several buses that go every 10 mins from where I live that would take me directly to the new ground in Failsworth, there's none that would take me even close to BP. There would be no messing about to get to Failsworth for me or other people

I don't agree with what you say about ex Oldhamers, Slurms.

The stats are like this:

The ones that don't live in Oldham were only 19% of those 351 who voted ie 80% of the fans live in Oldham.

Only 10% said it would affect their plans to attend.

351 fans voted about 5% of an everage gate. A very high number for a poll, with very few outsides able to vote, it would have a very low statistical margin of error.

Makes no difference I am hardcore [ 219 ] [62.39%]

It's too far, less/no games for me [ 37 ] [10.54%]

It's nearer/easier! [ 25 ] [7.12%]

I travel a long way anyway [ 43 ] [12.25%]

N/A I am an exile and don't go tomany games to make a difference [ 27 ] [7.69%]

Will you still go?

Edited by singe

Too easy to be so blunt pal, you've got to offer something else, and a valid reason. The post-code means bugger-all; Flintshire has a Chester post-code yet is in a different country.

Failsworth has some great points - transport being a major one. However, there are major issues as well and I'm not a fan of it truth be told. For all that though it is a bit "toys out of pram" to start saying that you'd not go because of it - if the club is dying because of the costs of maintaining BP then they have to move and attractive sites aren't that common.

Breeze Hill would be a bad site for a stadium - worse than Failsworth for my money. I think the best place still has to be the Royton / Shaw end of town - how about knocking down some of those empty mills or renovating one to be an arena that celebrates Oldham's under-appreciated global heritage in the cotton industry. Imagine a ground which has one stand formed out of an old mill - that'd be unique!