Reuben Hazell today

No way, he is far worse than them two.

Think we will have to agree to disagree on that one. Where he isn't as good as Gregan, his is better (and always will be) better than Hazell. Stam's problems lay in the fact that he is very injury prone. If he was the only thing that was available, I'd have him back in a heartbeat over Hazell. Fortunatley for us, he's not available and there should be miles better options open to us. As I've said previously, let pick up the phone and speak to a few of the Premier League teams. What's that Jack Cork from Chelsea doing. Seen him play for England U19's not so long ago and thought he was class.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brill's positioning for the freekick was awful and everyone in the RRE new where the ball was ending up!!!

He couldn't even deal with a few long throws today...He needs to be rested and I just hope the other goalkeeper is ready for the first team.

The least said about Hazell the better!!!!!!

He was actually very good for 93 minutes. And then just an awful, awful mistake.

Forget what people used to say about Gregan being a liability. Hazell is a liability. There's no point in putting in a MOM performance just to throw it away like that with an awful mistake. It's a shame because he is a good player, but his lapses are so costly.

wrote on here in pre season that hazzell is a liability

proven right today

my 6 year old wouldnt have done what he did today

hes unable to pass the ball with confidence to a player 10 yard away.

his long balls are indirect and lead to nothing

once again his inability to handle a situation has cost us the points today

not that we deserved the 3 anyway..

outplayed in second half by a team slightly better than stockport were

as for brill.......i wouldnt be confident in goal either with the goings on in front of him

For 80 minutes today we had the game in the bag and hardly looked in trouble. AND yes that included Rubes who had, upto that point had a virtually immacualte game. However, after conceeding a cheap free kick (Whittaker's silly foul) Rubes goes and spoils a good performance when he slips, then panicks and tries 1 of his pre-season suicide pass backs. Result 1-2 down.

Brill worries me. As a keeper of many years myself, I think his application of narrowing angles, standing big and judging high balls currently leaves a lot to be desired. His wall of 2 for the free kick was just wrong. In front of goal a minimum of 3 is required to push the wall out wider than the post to negate the curl and his movement across the line was then laboured. HOWEVER, I want to give it a good 10 matches before I pass real judgement. There is time for him to turn round the issues that we have seen and he needs that time to bed in and gel with the defenders around him. Don't forget that he has stood out in a team that has suffered successive relegations.

Also, I know we tend to be quick to judge players on here, but there are only 2 of Penny's signings I have seen that I am reserving judgement on. Brill obviously and Parker who was 1 of the later signings and doesn't yet quite look upsto speed. In fact he looked slow today compared to his other games.

I still think DP has a bit of wheeling and dealing to do. Lee ( 3 touches today, the 1st he messes up, the 2nd he miscontrols for a goal kick and the 3rd he puts in a poor cross and scores :grin: ) has already been told he can go and I think that Lomax and Whittaker will follow if the manager can sort out moves for them.

Although disappointed with the result today, for 80 minutes we looked ok. In fact decent. DP has installed a good team ethic, his signings on the whole look decent and I can see us certianly being around the middle of the table turning into the new year as we have an organised look and Gregan is this season so far leading by example and it seems DO has him "discussing" issues with rather than b*ll*cking team mates. If we can keep :censored: and Blackman on season long deals I can see the season developing into being at least decent. As I say around mid table by Chrostmas. From there anything can happen in this league.

1 point of caution though, we need another centre back for competition if nothing else. What I would say on that though is that it seems DP won't just sign anybody and I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually brings someone in to replace Batman or Robin.

Signings to date

Impressive/decent: Abbott, Furman, Wothington, Holdsworth, Jacobsen, :censored:, Blackman

Steady: Gilbert (lacks distribution), Byfield

Reserve judgement: Brill, Parker

Cheers,

Harry

For 80 minutes today we had the game in the bag and hardly looked in trouble. AND yes that included Rubes who had, upto that point had a virtually immacualte game. However, after conceeding a cheap free kick (Whittaker's silly foul) Rubes goes and spoils a good performance when he slips, then panicks and tries 1 of his pre-season suicide pass backs. Result 1-2 down.

Brill worries me. As a keeper of many years myself, I think his application of narrowing angles, standing big and judging high balls currently leaves a lot to be desired. His wall of 2 for the free kick was just wrong. In front of goal a minimum of 3 is required to push the wall out wider than the post to negate the curl and his movement across the line was then laboured. HOWEVER, I want to give it a good 10 matches before I pass real judgement. There is time for him to turn round the issues that we have seen and he needs that time to bed in and gel with the defenders around him. Don't forget that he has stood out in a team that has suffered successive relegations.

Also, I know we tend to be quick to judge players on here, but there are only 2 of Penny's signings I have seen that I am reserving judgement on. Brill obviously and Parker who was 1 of the later signings and doesn't yet quite look upsto speed. In fact he looked slow today compared to his other games.

I still think DP has a bit of wheeling and dealing to do. Lee ( 3 touches today, the 1st he messes up, the 2nd he miscontrols for a goal kick and the 3rd he puts in a poor cross and scores :grin: ) has already been told he can go and I think that Lomax and Whittaker will follow if the manager can sort out moves for them.

Although disappointed with the result today, for 80 minutes we looked ok. In fact decent. DP has installed a good team ethic, his signings on the whole look decent and I can see us certianly being around the middle of the table turning into the new year as we have an organised look and Gregan is this season so far leading by example and it seems DO has him "discussing" issues with rather than b*ll*cking team mates. If we can keep :censored: and Blackman on season long deals I can see the season developing into being at least decent. As I say around mid table by Chrostmas. From there anything can happen in this league.

1 point of caution though, we need another centre back for competition if nothing else. What I would say on that though is that it seems DP won't just sign anybody and I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually brings someone in to replace Batman or Robin.

Signings to date

Impressive/decent: Abbott, Furman, Wothington, Holdsworth, Jacobsen, :censored:, Blackman

Cheers,

Harry

Hary Dowd was an excellent keeper brave, strong, commanding, good in the air and I bet he never had a goalkeeping coach to tell him what to do, he was a natutal, I fear Brill isn't.

Signings to date

Cheers,

Harry

Re Gilbert though, this guy was only brought in as cover for jacobson as opposed to our first choice left back?

Hary Dowd was an excellent keeper brave, strong, commanding, good in the air and I bet he never had a goalkeeping coach to tell him what to do, he was a natutal, I fear Brill isn't.

Do you mean the original or me :wink:

I know that there isn't (wasn't) much between the 2 of us but I thought I'd just check :lol:

Cheers,

Harry

Edited by Harry Dowds Green Shirt

I think Whittaker still has a future at the club, he is a real threat coming off the bench.

Harry's right, there are definately the makings of a good side in there. They will come good and I still think when it clicks someone's going to be in for a hiding in the next few weeks. It just makes it all the more frustrating though to throw away points.

I disagree with Harry though that we didn't look in trouble for 80 minutes. Always felt they'd score, Rubes and Greegs were both playing well but Swindon looked decent going forward (though without too much end product, much like ourselves). It was therefore all the more frustrating to concede such a soft goal for the first one...it took Brill by surprise but it shouldn't, from the Chaddy I could see he was going to shoot and they'd tried a similar tactic in the first half - it was apparent they'd have a go from anywhere central within about thirty yards and Brill should've been expecting it.

On the subject of Brill, I actually quite like him. Yes he made mistakes but he's not as bad as people are making out, I may be wrong but for what it's worth on the two times he flapped (well the one in front of the Chaddy for sure), the Swindon players did a pretty good job of boxing him in and I felt he may have been due a free kick as he couldn't get out to claim the ball. The sarcastic cheers when he caught the ball the next time weren't called for.

One thing that is annoying is this desire to score Arsenal-esque goals; the determination to walk the ball into the net. There were times today (and as well against Stockport) when you just wanted someone to pull the trigger and have a shot. Pass after pass around the edge of the area, pretty much always sideways and eventually a defenders going to win the ball and boot it clear. Maybe we needed Furman on to put that final pass through, but without him on someone needed to step up and flaming hit the ball!

I'd agree with Harry largely though on the new signings - they've all looked OK and some very good. Abbott is quality but is another that needs to shoot more (as shown against Orient...just hit it sometimes and you never know what might happen). Blackman impressed today as did :censored: in CM...Gilbert's distribution leaves a lot to be desired but he appears to be a solid enough defender. Worthington may miss a quarter of the season through suspension but he's a much better tackler than Allott.

Oh, and obviously we need a CB. I don't think there's any arguing over that one!

Onwards to Brentford, like I said, it's going to click at some point...

at this rate hazell will be able to release one of those football cock up DVDS at xmas,shocking again today,the main reason we ain't going to do jack all this season with the chuckle brothers at centre half and dean can't jump won't jump brill....in the pegs

I disagree with Harry though that we didn't look in trouble for 80 minutes. Always felt they'd score, Rubes and Greegs were both playing well but Swindon looked decent going forward (though without too much end product, much like ourselves).

JSS, I didn't say that they wouldn't score. I also thought they looked a decent side and as you say in a simialr mould to ourselves. BUT we did look in control of the game for 80 minutes.

Cheers,

Harry

at this rate hazell will be able to release one of those football cock up DVDS at xmas,shocking again today,the main reason we ain't going to do jack all this season with the chuckle brothers at centre half and dean can't jump won't jump brill....in the pegs

Very very harsh.

Yes Rubes cocked up with the 2nd goal, BUT he had more than a decent game upto that point. Gregan did not put a foot wrong all game. the only time he was caught out was in the 1st half and that was for pace, which he certainly hasn't had from the day he signed. Brill, Can't jump? what are you on about he can jump, it is the other issues that I highlighted earlier on this thread that concern me.

Cheers,

Harry

JSS, I didn't say that they wouldn't score. I also thought they looked a decent side and as you say in a simialr mould to ourselves. BUT we did look in control of the game for 80 minutes.

Cheers,

Harry

OK, but you did say we didn't really look in trouble, which I think we did. Let's not split hairs, it doesn't really matter :wink:*

* I am right though.

We looked decent again today and definitly should of beaten a very average Swindon side. Abbott definitly looks the business up front and will score goals. I don't understand Furman being dropped because along with Abbott has impressed me a lot. I put it down to fitness or a knock but he looked fine when he came on so not sure the reasons behind it but i was dissapointed Whittaker came on before as he offers very little and gave away a stupid free kick which led to the 1st goal.

Now i was a major critic towards the end of last season and pre season of Rubes but I thought he started this season of very well and did well today winning everything in the air and making a couple of tackles inside the area. But he has this kinky obssesion with having to pass the ball back no matter where he is on the pitch, why not boot it out of the ground or even for a corner but to try a backpass from 40, 45 yards is downright stupid. In the 4 games this season i have been too, he must of passed back to Brill at least a dozen times and half of them have been stupid/ unnecessary. Now had this been his 1st mistake of this nature then i would of said fair enough but since his new contract this has happened too often and I now think we need a new CB not to give him competition but to replace him.

Very very harsh.

Yes Rubes cocked up with the 2nd goal, BUT he had more than a decent game upto that point. Gregan did not put a foot wrong all game. the only time he was caught out was in the 1st half and that was for pace, which he certainly hasn't had from the day he signed. Brill, Can't jump? what are you on about he can jump, it is the other issues that I highlighted earlier on this thread that concern me.

Cheers,

Harry

harsh no fact,rubes does it week,costing us points

Rubes and Greegs where one of our big problems last season both of them prone to giving goals away.... solution for this season lets get rid of stam add no competition and let them keep on!!

spot on mate,why get rid of one then re-sign him FFS........

Rubes and Greegs where one of our big problems last season both of them prone to giving goals away.... solution for this season lets get rid of stam add no competition and let them keep on!!

In all fairness Stam was just as prone to making mistakes as anyone, when he managed to pull himself out of the treatment room.

Our midfield repeatedly left the defence exposed in the first half, and if it hadn't been for a couple of last ditch clearances and tackles from Hazell (and others) and a generally solid display by the defence we would have gone into the break at best level and possibly behind.

It was the best I'd seen Rubes play since the first half of last season - right up to that error. And that's the most frustrating thing - he was playing well, dealing with everything quite comfortably, and looking every bit a decent centre-half ... but there's absolutely no point doing that and then having one abberation that gifts a goal. The worst of it was he'd got away with the slip, got back up with the ball still at his feet, and then panicked...