Eardley Fee confirmed tonight

Driving home from the gym tonight listening to Talk Sport I caught an interview with Ian Holloway. He was talking about the money he had spent.... he said that Eardley had cost him 'nearly' £300,000

So there you go people, confirmation from the horses mouth.

Driving home from the gym tonight listening to Talk Sport I caught an interview with Ian Holloway. He was talking about the money he had spent.... he said that Eardley had cost him 'nearly' £300,000

But TTA are beyond question aren't they? The same people that buried their heads in the sand about Moore. Their complacency may be coming home to roost.

Full international for just over half what a kid who had played 20 games had gone for. It stinks and smacks of desperation of making a quick buck...

But TTA are beyond question aren't they? The same people that buried their heads in the sand about Moore. Their complacency may be coming home to roost.

Full international for just over half what a kid who had played 20 games had gone for. It stinks and smacks of desperation of making a quick buck...

£300k is a joke...

And Ian Holloway has never stretched the truth?

May be right , may not be, just saying that Holloway is not necessarily the repository of all facts. After all it was only a couple of days before Eardley signed that Holloway was saying that Blackpool weren't signing anyone else!

The £300k-350k figure has been bandied around too much for it not to be pretty accurate, so I'm going to treat it as such.

Absolutely disgraceful. Unless we're getting £50k per league appearance for the next 10 games, I couldn't give a flying fig about add-ons. That figure up there is an absolute joke. Mark this down as an epoch in the unravelling of Oldham Athletic; next thing you know Taylor will be going for £500k flat.

The £300k-350k figure has been bandied around too much for it not to be pretty accurate, so I'm going to treat it as such.

Absolutely disgraceful. Unless we're getting £50k per league appearance for the next 10 games, I couldn't give a flying fig about add-ons. That figure up there is an absolute joke. Mark this down as an epoch in the unravelling of Oldham Athletic; next thing you know Taylor will be going for £500k flat.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that happened.

I think people have accepted that £350K was probably on the nail. Holloway's comment was that it was considerably lower - and that's what has caused this "outpouring of rage". I just have the feeling that , once again, people are jumping up and down about something that has a fair chance of being inaccurate.

Edited by LaticsPete

Not sure what we expect the club to do?

Presumably the club made a contract offer for Eardley to stay and his agent said he could better his wages considerably by moving on.

Should the club hang on in the hope that someone comes in with a better offer or take the money and close the book on Eardley?

I'm guessing that the £300k we accepted would be down to under £200k in the January transfer window.

Maybe if the club rated Eardley as highly as some on here do, then we should have signed him up on a longer contract 2 years ago.

What would have happened if we had let his contract run down (which was probably going to happen unless we miraculously get promoted this year). It would have probably gone to tribunal- since Eardley couldn't go anywhere on a free. I'm not sure how much we would have made from one of those- bearing in mind the extra costs, probably at most £500k. Yes £500k is more than we have got now but in 5 years time (or whenever) and Eardley shows the potential he has, is playing regularly for Wales and what not, Blackpool sell him for £1.5 mill and we get 20% of it that's another £300k. Yes we haven't got a good deal for him now- personally I think there is something really fishy about it- but if Blackpool sell him for what he could be worth as a result of playing in the Championship regularly we would make more money than we would have done if we had let him play out the final year of his contract. Its swings and roundabouts, plus like many I think the only people who know how much money we got in the deal are TTA, AH, their equivalents at Blackpool and maybe someone at Wrexham. The taxman and the FA might have some idea but I wouldn't bank on it.

What would have happened if we had let his contract run down (which was probably going to happen unless we miraculously get promoted this year). It would have probably gone to tribunal- since Eardley couldn't go anywhere on a free. I'm not sure how much we would have made from one of those- bearing in mind the extra costs, probably at most £500k. Yes £500k is more than we have got now but in 5 years time (or whenever) and Eardley shows the potential he has, is playing regularly for Wales and what not, Blackpool sell him for £1.5 mill and we get 20% of it that's another £300k. Yes we haven't got a good deal for him now- personally I think there is something really fishy about it- but if Blackpool sell him for what he could be worth as a result of playing in the Championship regularly we would make more money than we would have done if we had let him play out the final year of his contract. Its swings and roundabouts, plus like many I think the only people who know how much money we got in the deal are TTA, AH, their equivalents at Blackpool and maybe someone at Wrexham. The taxman and the FA might have some idea but I wouldn't bank on it.

Why in the back of my mind do I faintly remember Holloway saying he worked hard to get Eardley with no sell on clause. Probably just remembering stuff that never happened, like them Swedish blonde twins* and the strawberry yoghurt.

*Olaf and Gunter.

I wonder how many people instantly think that Blonde Swedish Twins have to be female.

:grin:

They were in all the films I've seen... :unsure:

The sad thing (going back to the original post) is that there's no way of confirming that's what Holloway said on Talksport, given that there was almost certainly no-one else listening. :wink:

Most of our fans where glad to see him go so we cant whinge too much about his fee.

thats the gayest thing ive heard since i seen that tv advert for graham norton. never realised fans happiness had a direct effect on transfer valuations, no wonder ronaldo was £80m.

Well we know TTA do often have a look on this message board. If they read stuff like 'I'll drive him to Blackpool myself' and other bollocks they may not be as willing to try to keep hold of him.

I would think if he had been a fans favourite it could well have helped to increase his value