Video: An Oldham-Millwall Story

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and me both....... still the best day of my life to date. I feel so sorry for all the Latics fans that weren't around in this period, it must be hard for them to imagine glory days like this.

It was certainly very special mate. Slightly edged by the 6-0 drubbing of West Ham in the cup semi final (because we knew we were at Wembley for the first time) and Ipswich away to win promotion. Very special days, which sadly I dont think we will ever reapeat!

It was certainly very special mate. Slightly edged by the 6-0 drubbing of West Ham in the cup semi final (because we knew we were at Wembley for the first time) and Ipswich away to win promotion. Very special days, which sadly I dont think we will ever reapeat!

Very tue.

Happy Days

And even if it happenend again, it still was so very special as it was the "first" time.

Great as it would be after all t his time, you can not recpature the "you know, we just might be able to do this".

Now we know it can be done, even though it would be harder.

I hope that explains it.

And in all that a lesson. For Sara and Amber. Remeber the first time should be special, so save yourselves for someone who is deserving of you and has had to work their butt off fot it. :wink:

Edited by singe

Hey Amber, look -- we're on the Exeter City Official Website.

Exeter City Blog

How cute.

[it should be noted that we said they were friendlier than Millwall, not Oldham. And yes, I know the sky is blue.]

Wow they must really like us to put us on their OFFICIAL WEBSITE!! ... not saying anything about the OFFICIAL SITES we were never put on.... lalalala

Wow they must really like us to put us on their OFFICIAL WEBSITE!! ... not saying anything about the OFFICIAL SITES we were never put on.... lalalala

^ ........ :grin:

And on a completely unrelated note: What do players do when they're injured? Roll around in the mud?

Not that I am asking for ANY particular reason or about ANY particular person. And especially NOT because I read that someone was out until January. And most definitely NOT because I am suddenly highly suspicious of various "injuries" occurring at specific points in time that result in come-backs a few weeks after December 12th. Just to clarify. x

Edited by sarausa

^ ........ :grin:

And on a completely unrelated note: What do players do when they're injured? Roll around in the mud?

Not that I am asking for ANY particular reason or about ANY particular person. And especially NOT because I read that someone was out until January. And most definitely NOT because I am suddenly highly suspicious of various "injuries" occurring at specific points in time that result in come-backs a few weeks after December 12th. Just to clarify. x

Sara, Sara, Sara ... I thought you were being taught something at medical school. :wink:

Players when injured tend to do one of two things. The first is spend a lot of time at home/pub/whereever like anyone else on the 'sick' (although if you make the sort of money a pro footbller does I think some may spend it on a nice beach somewhere). The second is spend a lot of time with the physios working with rehab in mind eventually getting to the point where they can resume training again. Obviously the proportion of the first activity compared to the second activity depends on how serious the injury is. For example if you may have a fractured fibula around the lateral malleolus with associated ankle ligament damage you may well be doing a lot of the first activity- especially if your leg is in in plaster. You could technically do some strengthening exercises on your upper body at the same time, but as anyone who has ever had to get around on crutches can tell you that's a pretty good upper body work out in itself. The rehab aspect might well include some swimming (or other non weight-bearing activity) to keep the cardio vascular conditioning up, but if your leg is in plaster you can't really go swimming.

As to the legitimateness of the injury to certain footballers of your acquaintance, trust me if he was faking he should win an OSCAR and I doubt anyone can fake X-rays.

Sara, Sara, Sara ... I thought you were being taught something at medical school. :wink:

Players when injured tend to do one of two things. The first is spend a lot of time at home/pub/whereever like anyone else on the 'sick' (although if you make the sort of money a pro footbller does I think some may spend it on a nice beach somewhere). The second is spend a lot of time with the physios working with rehab in mind eventually getting to the point where they can resume training again. Obviously the proportion of the first activity compared to the second activity depends on how serious the injury is. For example if you may have a fractured fibula around the lateral malleolus with associated ankle ligament damage you may well be doing a lot of the first activity- especially if your leg is in in plaster. You could technically do some strengthening exercises on your upper body at the same time, but as anyone who has ever had to get around on crutches can tell you that's a pretty good upper body work out in itself. The rehab aspect might well include some swimming (or other non weight-bearing activity) to keep the cardio vascular conditioning up, but if your leg is in plaster you can't really go swimming.

As to the legitimateness of the injury to certain footballers of your acquaintance, trust me if he was faking he should win an OSCAR and I doubt anyone can fake X-rays.

Hahaha, I love you dearly for this post, rudemedic. They teach us what happens when things "break," but not what footballers in Oldham do while they are "injured." And hey, I never said anyone was "faking"...as a medical student, it's just in my nature to be a bit "critical" <_<

Do injured players get paid while injured? Seems like Oldham would be paying a lot of players who aren't...playing...

And while we're on the topic, would it be absolutely terrible to ask how much these players make? Or is that too taboo? I figure if we're talking about kiwis having sex then...

Do injured players get paid while injured? Seems like Oldham would be paying a lot of players who aren't...playing...

Yes players do get paid while out injured, but will obviously not get win bonuses.

Players wages at most football teams will vary greatly, experienced senior players will be on much higher salaries than young up and coming players still to make a name for themselves, generally I would guess wages at Latics for a senior professional like Worthington would be around £2,000 to £3,000 a week.

Hahaha, I love you dearly for this post, rudemedic. They teach us what happens when things "break," but not what footballers in Oldham do while they are "injured." And hey, I never said anyone was "faking"...as a medical student, it's just in my nature to be a bit "critical" <_<

And while we're on the topic, would it be absolutely terrible to ask how much these players make? Or is that too taboo? I figure if we're talking about kiwis having sex then...

I take it at Yankee medical schools they don't go on about how to manage the chronically ill in the community, like certain med schools in this country. (Even if they are only chronically ill temproarily- if that is not a contra-diction in terms).

Your quite right to be sceptical as a prospective doctor- some people fake illness for whatever reason, but its bloody hard to fake being that badly hurt in front of 5341 people and then keep up the pretence whilst being in hospital in Oldham- where the doctors have much experience with "fakers". I will admit it does have an element of co-incidence about it though. :wink:

On a side note have you not seen anyone who has an injury/illness which keeps them off their current work but wouldn't necessarily keep them off other work (say a broken arm/leg) yet? The principles of management are the same.