NHL 2009/10 Season

I very much doubt they are over there.. are they? I'd imagine they are just sat looking at a TV - Eurosport Styleee...

They will be over there, the BBC caused 'outrage' apparently because they sent more people over to the Olympics than Britain sent athletes.

Also they kept saying they couldn't hear themselves think because of the noise the Canadian fans were making in the stadium.

Edited by BJBlue

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will be over there, the BBC caused 'outrage' apparently because they sent more people over to the Olympics than Britain sent athletes.

The BBC's budgets are immense for these kinds of things, plus they benefit from a bucket load of reciprocal deals from other big/national broadcasters, meaning it's not really a surprise that they've got more people than the British team out there.

The BBC's budgets are immense for these kinds of things, plus they benefit from a bucket load of reciprocal deals from other big/national broadcasters, meaning it's not really a surprise that they've got more people than the British team out there.

Should make themselves useful. I'm convinced that there are a few sports at the winter olympics that anyone could win a medal at with a couple of hours practice, its just the fact that no bugger on the planet does them. The BBC team could have competed in a few sports...

They are awful commentators. One of us could do a better job. Its blatant that the main guy has never really watched hockey before.

... anyhoo.. on to the quarters now, and Eurosport will hopefully be showing most, so we can forget about the BBC coverage.

Suprised no-one has mentioned the little 'blip' last night btw? :wink: The Swedes very much ground it out... their PP was better on the night than ours ultimately... means they will prob get Slovakia in the quarters, and the Finns will get the Czechs... which is annoying, but winnable...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Suprised no-one has mentioned the little 'blip' last night btw? :wink: The Swedes very much ground it out... their PP was better on the night than ours ultimately... means they will prob get Slovakia in the quarters, and the Finns will get the Czechs... which is annoying, but winnable...

After Marty's performance (which the BBC made a meal out of) me and Dave are just keeping our heads down I think.

Luongo (I never spell that right and can't be arsed checking) will probably start in the play-off game now... which is fine by me as Marty will get a rest.

Seemed to me that Parise was only playing on special teams last night too - a strange decision, but again, if it keeps him fresh I'm not complaining.

After Marty's performance (which the BBC made a meal out of) me and Dave are just keeping our heads down I think.

Luongo (I never spell that right and can't be arsed checking) will probably start in the play-off game now... which is fine by me as Marty will get a rest.

Seemed to me that Parise was only playing on special teams last night too - a strange decision, but again, if it keeps him fresh I'm not complaining.

I'm not keeping my head down... the captain of the New Jersey Devils bagged the gamewinner!

What pissed me off most about last night was the way that commentator had no idea who Marty was. If you had listened to him, you would have thought Marty was the second string goalie, whose only career achievement was winning gold at the Olympics in 2002.

I'm not keeping my head down... the captain of the New Jersey Devils bagged the gamewinner!

What pissed me off most about last night was the way that commentator had no idea who Marty was. If you had listened to him, you would have thought Marty was the second string goalie, whose only career achievement was winning gold at the Olympics in 2002.

That's very true actually, I kept waiting for him to mention that fact that he's the most successful goalie ever and he never did.

When Miller made a really ropey save to deny Crosby it was made out to be the best save ever, whilst Marty was described as "flailing" at a puck which he plucked out of the air to deny the US a certain goal - after yet more woeful defence from the Canadians.

That's very true actually, I kept waiting for him to mention that fact that he's the most successful goalie ever and he never did.

When Miller made a really ropey save to deny Crosby it was made out to be the best save ever, whilst Marty was described as "flailing" at a puck which he plucked out of the air to deny the US a certain goal - after yet more woeful defence from the Canadians.

Like I said during the game, I think Marty must have nobbled his wife or something. Either that or he has a man-crush on Luongo.

This is only for BigFin but to clear up a discussion from Saturday, Hagman was indeed part of that big Leafs-Flames trade.

That explains it then... One of the few conversations you remember from saturday then!

Next round of practice games tonight then... ready for the proper business to start tomorrow...

Parise with a brace for the Yanks... the BBC continue to disappoint me with their coverage which at times is just awful.

Parise raced from the half way line to the circle before sliding in to an empty goal and the commentator still didn't know who'd scored! :(

The other insane thing is that tonight Canada play Russia and its not on the red button because they don't want to miss the end of the men's curling so it has to be watched on the laptop. Not happy.

My red button will not work anyway for some stupid reason.

:applause1::icon_peace::banana3::banana2::scarf001:

Absolutely amazing night of hockey!!!! Yes we got some luck when we needed it, but a truly gritty performance... and just fantastic...

.. and to make it just amazing the swedes go and lose to the Slovaks - :lol::lol: Wheres your gold medal now you muppets!!!

As for the canadians - awesome, however I have to say Malkin was probably the worst player on the ice, however none of Russia's 'big 6' turned up... devastating play at times by the canadians though, the SJ line, and then Getz and Perry showing exactly why you pick players from the same teams...

Bring on the USA!!!!!

Canada were walking all over them at the end of the second so i turned it off so i could sleep. Disapointed with Russia's performance, i was hoping for a close game

Thats what happens when you have no defence and you GT has an off-night... my god I bet Nabukov was wishing he was still playing behing Marleau et al, rather than with them bearing down on him... saying that Ovie just didnt turn up, and everything Malkin did went wrong... you cant win these games without your big players...

... also, separately, have to give a big shout to Jonas Hiller... almost beat the Canadians on his own, and last night almost beat the US too, just one lapse of concentration and that was that though... for me, he is really becoming on of the best goaltenders in the NHL - one things for sure, he gets enough practice between the Ducks and the Swiss!

Cant wait for friday night now... bring it on...