Quitters

I'm surprised by the amount of regulars who say they have stopped/will stop going to latics because of the quality of football or the lack of success. Fair enough if the cost puts people off, difficult times and all that.

But, except for the floaters, since when has supporting latics been conditional on how well the team is doing?

Granted I'm not in the country to see the football at the moment, but is it really so much worse than the Rickers/Salt/Dudley/Thom days?

I'm surprised by the amount of regulars who say they have stopped/will stop going to latics because of the quality of football or the lack of success. Fair enough if the cost puts people off, difficult times and all that.

But, except for the floaters, since when has supporting latics been conditional on how well the team is doing?

Granted I'm not in the country to see the football at the moment, but is it really so much worse than the Rickers/Salt/Dudley/Thom days?

Normally I would agree with you, but there is something this season that has a whole negative vibe about it. Not just the team, the whole club. The ridiculous three sided ground. The fact we pay for Joe Colbeck. The fact Keigan Parker actually exists.

Give me the Rickers/Salt etc days over this :censored:e we have. Them lads had passion, despite not being very good. I, for one, haven't missed it one bit this last month or so.

absolute bollox innit...3 sides = :censored:, bad team = :censored:, poor results = :censored:, its in yer blood to go=:censored:....but u cant just stop goin, unless the latter isnt entirely true. its mekkin me blood boil the ammount of ppl that are jumpin ship.....but its about choices, and ppl are entitled to it.....but dont try and entice others to do the same, and dont slag yer team off on social networking sites....it hurts. OH! and while im at it......ok Dale are top o the league, the fkin league below us!....a lot of ppl will meet thier maker in the near future.....u know who u r!

absolute bollox innit...3 sides = :censored:, bad team = :censored:, poor results = :censored:, its in yer blood to go=:censored:....but u cant just stop goin, unless the latter isnt entirely true. its mekkin me blood boil the ammount of ppl that are jumpin ship.....but its about choices, and ppl are entitled to it.....but dont try and entice others to do the same, and dont slag yer team off on social networking sites....it hurts. OH! and while im at it......ok Dale are top o the league, the fkin league below us!....a lot of ppl will meet thier maker in the near future.....u know who u r!

Agreed, if its in you're blood its in you're blood.

Since when as supporting Latics ever been about glory and success?

Normally I would agree with you, but there is something this season that has a whole negative vibe about it. Not just the team, the whole club. The ridiculous three sided ground. The fact we pay for Joe Colbeck. The fact Keigan Parker actually exists.

Give me the Rickers/Salt etc days over this :censored:e we have. Them lads had passion, despite not being very good. I, for one, haven't missed it one bit this last month or so.

a three sided ground and keigan parker didnt stop blackpool getting promoted.

agree with the rest tho.

Don't forget the "can't smoke", "run out of :censored: food", "manager swears", "long-standing disagreement with Latics employee", "strike it lucky bloke looked at me funny", "despite standing in football being phased out 21 years ago, not being able to stand" and 101 of "reasons".

It really is becoming more of an effort to drag myself to BP this season, despite being a season ticket holder.

I haven't quit yet, and no doubt the optimism that surfaces before every new season will ensure that the ticket is renewed next season. Though as the interest wanes, then so does the likelihood that further ST's will be renewed (Particularly for a stadium I don't want to move to), and I fear that I, like so many others, will find that I don't miss going once I stop, and another 40-year supporter will be lost.

More importantly, so will a supporter of the future, as I will no longer take my kid.

They've got to pull all the stops out NOW to make it interesting and entertaining to watch, and stop believing that they don't need to provide coherent and detailed answers to paying customers' concerns.

Agrd. And if the missing letters had been there I'd have agreed even more. :)

Apathy .....

This is the reason for the stayaways .... it just isnt special anymore. All the reasons that had me hooked in the first palce (win or lose). The match atmosphere and inparticular the vocal welcome of the team... The football banter within your own fans and with the opposition fans. The mates you saw there... and only there as you didnt have a clue where they where from or what they did but you went to away matches in thier car !!. The romance of it all . Where has it all gone???

Sky are responsible for turning us all into closet Andy Gray's and pointing out poor full backs and center halfs.. bad tatics .. poor subs etc by anylising every bleedin blade of grass. We now demand footballinf perfection a la premier league with fans able to watch two first class matches on both Saturday and Sunday and the rest on MOTD. Weve fallen for it hook line and sinker and even worse ..... its set to become even cheaper making it more accessible ( not sky's descision). The future will see crowds fall even further as more and more emphisis is put on the elite. Where is the fookin romance in that. As where Oldham fit in to this. They dont and its as if they ever did with only DVD and video to show how good and how bad we were......

While I dont buy in to the doom and gloom predicted about ambition of the club... its a hell of an ambition just to stay as we are in this dimension. The romance needs instilling again.

Its not to far off those days, having said that a little piece of me says we are over the worst of it and will get better from here. An upturn in results from here will change the mood.

Sky are responsible for turning us all into closet Andy Gray's and pointing out poor full backs and center halfs.. bad tatics .. poor subs etc by anylising every bleedin blade of grass.

I blame champ manager too, or football manager these days is it? Everyone's an expert because they took latics to champions league glory and england to 4 world cups on the trot.

I don't watch Sky TV, don't play Champ Manager or whatever, so I'm still following Latics and not too disappointed as I didn't raise my expectations at the start of the season beyond a mid-table finish. The football has been dire and, if we don't improve, relegation is a real possibility.

Matchday (even at BP) is a good day out, plenty of social intercourse, fresh air, good exercise of the lungs and voice-box, and the stress-busting opportunity to let off steam. It's gotta be better than watching teletext latest scores.

Occasionally, like during the final 30 minutes at home to Colchester, the atmosphere becomes electric once again and it's just like the old days. If only that fuse could be lit more often.

Matchday (even at BP) is a good day out, plenty of social intercourse, fresh air, good exercise of the lungs and voice-box, and the stress-busting opportunity to let off steam. It's gotta be better than watching teletext latest scores.

Occasionally, like during the final 30 minutes at home to Colchester, the atmosphere becomes electric once again and it's just like the old days. If only that fuse could be lit more often.

I remember you saying the same thing many years ago and it has stayed with me. The ability to stand in the open air and shout at the top of your voice about so and so or such and such and not either get bundled into the back of a police van or into the padded cell is priceless. All the tension and stress that builds up during the week can be got rid of at the match.

As for the Colchester game, I'd forgotten all about that, had to check the match report to remind me. When Brooke scored the equaliser we went mental! Once we got the first it was certain that we would get something out of the game. Can't wait for tomorrow night now, plus we get to take the mick out of the plastic scousers.

That could just be the tonic I need after today, however it will have to wait til Saturday as I'm working tomorrow night.......19 days fag-free and the blue touch paper has been lit twice today.