Time for a Vote of confidence

Should Barry resign as Chairman of Trust Oldham  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mr. Owen resign as there seems to be a clear conflict of interest

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care
  2. 2. Do you still want the Trust?

• Yes, but under a different tenureship, with clear aims
    • No, it's a lame duck
    • Don't care
    • The Trust is doing a good job and should stay as it is...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the main problem is communication (lack of it) Barry could be doing a great job but none of us know whats actually going on and when someone asks a question its not answered. A bit more open communication between TTA, Barry and the fans and I think people would have a lot more respect for them.

I must say i've just read the other thread which Barry created and it just didnt come across as professional from Barry. He needs to think why fans are aggreaved and think how he can resolve these issues rather than going on the defensive.

Leave Barry alone he been a great servant to the club.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't that peoples main gripe ? To the club and not the fans ? He is on the board to serve the fans and not the club.

I think that got lost in translation. And when considering the whole role of a director having to work in the best interest of the "business" I suppose that could conflict his role of operating in the best interest of the "fans". Maybe the role should be more of a None-Executive role. Its hardly like our 3% gives us voting power in the boardroom.

Edited by oafc0000

Yeah, sack the bloke.

The only two posts I've seen on here were;

1) Last year he posted telling people off for being non-fans and not jumping behind the Failsworth plan because basically "although the fans' are too dumb to understand, comrade Owen can assure their tiny minds that it is the only option and a great idea. Thinking time over".

2) That last one. Which while I am glad he found the time to get on here, completely misses the point.

The issue is that a fans' representative should be 100% neutral in all affairs of the club. Of course they would have an opinion, but their opinion is buried by the solemn duty that they willingly accept - that of being the mouthpiece for all fans, and honestly and evenhandedly addressing them to the board. Answers should be returned, and regular updates given.

As I said, I am pleased that BO (snigger) chose to get involved, but the choice of post was thoroughly ham-fisted...

Its hardly like our 3% gives us voting power in the boardroom.

It gives an influence in the boardroom.

Whether or not that influence is used well? We don't really know. That, I suspect, would be the main gripe of most.

I would quite willingly give up the 3% if it was in the interest of fans to do so. I don't see how giving up a seat on the board benefits supporters though. Using that influence as effectively as possible is the key.

Whether or not that influence is used well? We don't really know. That, I suspect, would be the main gripe of most.

I would quite willingly give up the 3% if it was in the interest of fans to do so. I don't see how giving up a seat on the board benefits supporters though. Using that influence as effectively as possible is the key.

I agree to an extent...

But there is a problem... A director has to act in the interest of the business... We have created a role that is meant to act in the best interest of the fans (or customers if you will). I will accept to some extent Barry is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

To clarify, I am not suggesting giving up our shareholding. Just the fan on the board being a named director. As a none executive director he will still be able to influence AND speak out more.

Do you get my drift ? I hope that makes some more sense as its an important point I think.

The 3% carries with it numerous protections in law for minority shareholders. A non-executive directorship would not have the same significance, particularly as the executive directors could remove a non-exec pretty much at will in a company like OAFC 2004, it's not as if the club is stock market listed or has any other requirement to have non-execs.

Maybe that would be a good step for the FA to take - a requirement to have non-execs on club boards, with an audit committee to ensure the finances are in an appropriate state?

To the club and not the fans ? He is on the board to serve the fans and not the club.

To me this is the same, doing right for the club is doing right for the fans, I think you confuse it with doing right by the owners??

Owners and fans come and go, some after a season, others after 75 years, the club is the important instrument here.

By doing right by the club, fans have a club to support and follow.

My own opinion is this for what it is worth,

Fans, (Oldham amoungst others) change there opinions and thoughts on players, Managers and club matters most days. If Barry was to walk into the next Board meeting and state "Fans have had enough of clueless Penney - Get Rid " would this be the best for the club considering the payment and problems that would follow or just appeasing the fans after a bad run of games and performances???

The club is not TTA, OAFC will be here long after they and I would hope most of us have gone, by doing right by the club, ensuring it has at least a 'chance' for the future .

I will then be able to take my god son to games next week, year and next few decades.

Ensuring TTA know the feelings of the fans and that they understand that £329 to a typical members is a lot of money means ST prices have to be judged every season.

TTA own the club and land they dont want it to go up in smoke, end of the day they are not rich enough to waste £12 million and think o ' well that was fun for a while

What ever people's thoughts are the best is done to ensure the club has a future not success at all costs

The 3% carries with it numerous protections in law for minority shareholders. A non-executive directorship would not have the same significance, particularly as the executive directors could remove a non-exec pretty much at will in a company like OAFC 2004, it's not as if the club is stock market listed or has any other requirement to have non-execs.

Maybe that would be a good step for the FA to take - a requirement to have non-execs on club boards, with an audit committee to ensure the finances are in an appropriate state?

spot on !

To me this is the same, doing right for the club is doing right for the fans, I think you confuse it with doing right by the owners??

Owners and fans come and go, some after a season, others after 75 years, the club is the important instrument here.

Fans, (Oldham amoungst others) change there opinions and thoughts on players, Managers and club matters most days. If Barry was to walk into the next Board meeting and state "Fans have had enough of clueless Penney - Get Rid " would this be the best for the club considering the payment and problems that would follow or just appeasing the fans after a bad run of games and performances???

The club is not TTA, OAFC will be here long after they and I would hope most of us have gone, by doing right by the club, ensuring it has at least a 'chance' for the future .

I will then be able to take my god son to games next week, year and next few decades.

Ensuring TTA know the feelings of the fans and that they understand that £329 to a typical members is a lot of money means ST prices have to be judged every season.

TTA own the club and land they dont want it to go up in smoke, end of the day they are not rich enough to waste £12 million and think o ' well that was fun for a while

What ever people's thoughts are the best is done to ensure the club has a future not success at all costs

spot on !

Thank you for a voice of reason.

Thank you for a voice of reason.

This is my own opinion but I know its shared by others that are part of the Trust.

I understand everyone has there own opinions and respect that, thats why I do what I do on here and the trust.

One voice is not very loud, many voices make a chorus - I just wish we all sang the same song but we all have our favourites ......

One of mine :unsure:

Just One Voice,

Singing in the darkness,

All it takes is One Voice,

Singing so they hear what's on your mind,

And when you look around you'll find

There's more than

One Voice,

Singing in the darkness,

Joining with your One Voice,

Each and every note another octave,

Hands are joined and fears unlocked,

If only

One Voice

would start it on its own,

We need just One Voice facing the unknown,

And then that One Voice would never be alone

It takes that One Voice.

Would never be alone

It takes that One Voice.

Just One Voice

Singing in the darkness,

All it takes is One Voice,

Shout it out and let it ring.

Just One Voice,

It takes that One Voice,

And everyone will sing!

This is my own opinion but I know its shared by others that are part of the Trust.

I understand everyone has there own opinions and respect that, thats why I do what I do on here and the trust.

One voice is not very loud, many voices make a chorus - I just wish we all sang the same song but we all have our favourites ......

One of mine :unsure:

I'm awash with tears after that Wardle :wink:

Wasn't that sung by DelBoy once as well in an Only Fools and Horses episode.....

spot on !

I agree with nearly every word of that. Which is why I, like so many others, feel that if the Trust is to have any relevancy to the fans, it needs to replace Barry.

Are all (any) of the people who want the trust to change actually members of the trust?

I think the tory party should change (in it's internal arrangements, rather than it's political policies), but I'm not a member of it, so they don't really care what I think - at least not directly. If people really feel as strongly as they claim to do on a message boaard, then why don't they actually do something about it and join the trust, propose changes and vote on them?

It's all there do be done IF people really care to any extent beyond typing a few words on the web.

As for there being a "clear" conflict of interest, that's simply based on the fact that people don't agree with the way he does it - I don't think he does it the right way either, but it's not a conflict of interest.

And who in their right mind would join an organisation in that state?

Granted I tried to.

Twice.

:blink:

Someone who wanted to help the Trust, and the club, get back on track ?.....instead of spending the majority of their days and evenings whinging and sniping and attention-seeking on a messageboard....

Someone who wanted to help the Trust, and the club, get back on track ?.....instead of spending the majority of their days and evenings whinging and sniping and attention-seeking on a messageboard....

If you actually read my post, you'll see that it says I tried joining the Trust. Twice. In doing so I spent a total of £17 on membership (but never received a card or acknowledgement), have been to two or three meetings and supported a number of Trust events.

But there comes a time when you give up, having tried to do your bit.

Edited by garcon