Retirement

Last season for a lot of reasons tore my heart out and made me question all things Latics. With a baby on the way and the stress that is going to bring, being away from the town, change in my financial position (mostly self imposed, again for sanity/health reasons). I simply just do not enjoy it anymore. But at the same time I do still love the club for so many reasons.

During the season I tried to motivate myself to head back to BP and I finally did it against Exeter, partly out of the guilt of not taking my young nephew, who somewhat caught the football bug. For me it was a miserable day really despite a two nil win. Sat in the main stand for the first time since being about 12. It was freezing cold, no leg room, despite getting a front row seat the kid still had a blocked view, the fans where moaning like hell prompting my nephew to ask if we was in an away stand, someone was sat in my seat and swear at me when I politely asked him to move, food ran out, toilets where locked on the way out so kid could not go toilet... The match was simply lack luster. The day cost me in the region of £60 all in and I was sat home on the train pretty down. None of my friends go anymore (around 15 a few years back, all stopped for various reasons) so despite the company of the kid which i love the social aspect has gone for me.

During the season I have been attacked from a lot of angles. Some fairly, some less so. It is the question of my love for the club though that hurts the most. I only shuck one bucket during the dart days, I only but in what some might consider a insufficient amount of money into the buckets during those days but to me was a small fortune at the time, I have supported the club for around 22 years, started with happy days but mostly it’s been a slow decline. I have been there in the snow and in the sun. If the club REALLY needed propping up I would be first in line to grab a bucket. I would be first in line to give what I can. So for people to question if I am a REAL fan is a bit insulting. I tried to turn around today in one of the threads and it got a reaction. Well, you know how I feel now at times. I must admit I was surprised how ready fans where to condemn me instead of trying to make me come back.

Yesterday’s attack, one of a long line of attacks, from our man on the board operating in a official capacity I think as really took the stuffing out of me. The trust has failed. Barry’s position has not resulted in the transparency we all hoped for and as far as I know proper elections do not take place. Considering how much money WE put into those buckets I do get angry when the people who hold privileged positions tell me I am not accountable to you in anyway. They tell me I am not a real fan. For these two very simple reasons I think it has failed. Are money has been wasted. Owning 3% of a football club in fact actually gives you very little no matter how much people want to tell you it does. I wonder now if that money should of just been held in trust... Just in case... Admitely all with hindsight.

Ask yourselves, what has the 3%, trust or fan on the board position done for us. What will it be doing for us in the future. I feel no closer to the club for it...

Do you ?

I support the idea of the trust but our trust has to change...

I won’t pass through the gates of BP until it is improved / new owners take over or for some reason I think I will start having fun again (not likely any time soon). While all sorts have been said about the TTA I don’t think they ever came to screw us over. They had the very best of intentions and it’s not worked out for various reasons. Leaving two options it would seem. Failsworth or bust ? I just do not see Failsworth working out. With no plans insight nothing is being presented to force me to change my opinion. I do see it as TTA’s less best option and I am sure it will reduce their losses. I do not mind TTA reducing losses / making money. In fact I would hope they do! But Oldham Athletic has to win as well. I simple do not think this applies to the Failsworth project. It’s down scaling of the club and represents the TTA accepting they cannot take us to that next level.

Football has changed. The players don’t play for the shirt anymore they play for themselves. Clubs do not show managers any sort of loyalty or security. The fans demand instant success. The chairman pay stupid wages no real business could ever sustain. Its a big fat mess and these factors have hurt what it used to mean to be part of a football club further degrading the enjoyment I think.

My intial aim was to rant and then try to but all this into something more structured but sod it. Its a rant, why change the habit of a posting life time in your last post.

A few wishes / suggestions...

To the trust :-

Disband the fan on the board for a short time

Fix the problems with the trust

Grow the membership

Re-elect the trust board

Regain trust...

Hold proper trust elections

Clear up the aims of the trust

Review what is to expected from the role of fan on the board

VOTE for a fan on the board with more than one person standing.

To the TTA :-

Talk to the fans directly. Use forums but use the online forums as well. Where else will you get a 100 people on a Wednesday night ?

LISTEN

Sell the Failsworth. If it is right for the club people will back it. If it is not... Expect a fight...

To the fans :-

DONT EVER BE SCARED OF STANDING UP FOR THE CLUB YOU LOVE! EVEN IF IT MEANS RISKING IT ALL.

Ok rant over. For my own sanity I am going to give up. Will still be lurking but I have to stop posting as the club and the whole situation upsets me to much now and I am making to many enemies by expressing my concerns and it is not why I started supporting the club.

I know some smart arse will say boo hoo, oafc looking for sympathy. You’r wrong.

If you see a random lonely latics fan in Cape Town. Buy him a pint . Look out for my OAFC flag at the games :D

Anyway, we are all tics... Keep safe all... Its been fun :)

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'creepy' date='Jan 27 2010, 22:07 PM' post='355838']

please dont go :pray::laught16:

Wasn't that a song?....remember it as part of the chorus, big club song it the early 90's.

Anyway, I hold my hands up tis me.....he threw in the bait and I took it. Normally I don't with his posts.

Every fan/supported is entitled to their opinion. That's what these forums are for

Latics is like a nasty itch you can't scratch. Its in the blood, I am sure 0000 will return is some format.a fan with his strong views rightly or wrongly, will always touch base with his team

'creepy' date='Jan 27 2010, 22:07 PM' post='355838']

please dont go :pray::laught16:

Wasn't that a song?....remember it as part of the chorus, big club song it the early 90's.

Anyway, I hold my hands up tis me.....he threw in the bait and I took it. Normally I don't with his posts.

Every fan/supported is entitled to their opinion. That's what these forums are for

Latics is like a nasty itch you can't scratch. Its in the blood, I am sure 0000 will return is some format.a fan with his strong views rightly or wrongly, will always touch base with his team

There a basshunter version? :grin:

There's a few very childish posts in here, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Maybe some fans really need to start asking themselves what's going on. oafc0000 is far from a lone voice. I was already fast losing interest, but the insults of a club director were the final straw. Something very significant is going to need to happen before I darken the doors of Boundary Park again. How many more feel the same? How many more had given up already, or are now closer than ever to doing so? What will it take for the dwindling remainder to realise there must be something dreadfully wrong?

If you were hoping I was also about to announce my immediate exit, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. :wink:

At worst, it'll take a long while before my interest in the club dwindles to the extent that I stop coming here to keep up with what's going on. At best, something will happen that will drag me back as a supporter and a regular match goer. In the meantime, I might even make it to the odd away game for the craic.

But this wasn't intended as a self-indulgent post. I want to know the final score ... let's have a list of those who've had enough:

oafc0000

garcon

Who else?

Maybe some fans really need to start asking themselves what's going on. oafc0000 is far from a lone voice. I was already fast losing interest, but the insults of a club director were the final straw. Something very significant is going to need to happen before I darken the doors of Boundary Park again. How many more feel the same? How many more had given up already, or are now closer than ever to doing so? What will it take for the dwindling remainder to realise there must be something dreadfully wrong?

If you were hoping I was also about to announce my immediate exit, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. :wink:

At worst, it'll take a long while before my interest in the club dwindles to the extent that I stop coming here to keep up with what's going on. At best, something will happen that will drag me back as a supporter and a regular match goer. In the meantime, I might even make it to the odd away game for the craic.

But this wasn't intended as a self-indulgent post. I want to know the final score ... let's have a list of those who've had enough:

oafc0000

garcon

Who else?

It was fairly self - indulgent, however.......

As crowds reduce it's like peeling an onion. First out were the 90's hanger onners, Wembley = 30 k plus etc. Then the premier league drop outs, then the championship (or whatever it was then) and so on and so on.

We are now at a point where many of us have had enough, I've started to pick and choose (and will leave alone till Penney goes). However our thin layer, no matter how important we feel we are through posting on here is actually no more important than any other layer - certainly not to the owners - ANY owners.

You can debate the point about importance, especially when mixed with loyalty etc but it's a reflection of society - in my opinion.

But please spare us the melo-dramatic nonsense that is appearing on here. It really ain't worth it!!

oafc0000

garcon

prozak (cant memba how to spell his username)

on a personal note, having recently moved to yorkshire im 99% certain i will not see another latics game this season

for the obvious reasons, i aint getting two trains and a bus thank you very much

but i WILL NOT post a new thread about 'how i am never going again' because OAFC is in my heart, i will be back just not right now :wink:

on a personal note, having recently moved to yorkshire im 99% certain i will not see another latics game this season

for the obvious reasons, i aint getting two trains and a bus thank you very much

but i WILL NOT post a new thread about 'how i am never going again' because OAFC is in my heart, i will be back just not right now :wink:

Blessing in disguise?

It was fairly self - indulgent, however.......

It was. Ah well. :unsure:

As crowds reduce it's like peeling an onion. First out were the 90's hanger onners, Wembley = 30 k plus etc. Then the premier league drop outs, then the championship (or whatever it was then) and so on and so on.

We are now at a point where many of us have had enough, I've started to pick and choose (and will leave alone till Penney goes). However our thin layer, no matter how important we feel we are through posting on here is actually no more important than any other layer - certainly not to the owners - ANY owners.

You can debate the point about importance, especially when mixed with loyalty etc but it's a reflection of society - in my opinion.

Alot of truth in that, well put. There comes a time where each layer is a bigger proportion of what's left and does get more important. I'd say the jury's out as to whether we've reached that stage.

But please spare us the melo-dramatic nonsense that is appearing on here. It really ain't worth it!!

:grin:

Fair cop I guess. My post didn't end up quite the way I intended it. I meant it more as 'who else feels like this?' than 'look at me aren't I the rebel' if you see what I mean. :unsure:

There's absolutely feck all chance that he's gone for good, something like 7 or 8 thousand posts and by his own admission has only attended 1 match all season v Exeter and we won for christ's sake.

He'd be positively suicidal if he'd attended the Hartlepool, Tranmere home games.

He'll be back, the whole post smacks of "look at me, look at me".

Anyway I'll organise the party hats, balloons and streamers just on the remote off chance that he doesn't return.

OK, so 0000 has posted a somewhat self-indulgent post, and Yes he has a load of posts (although many are non-Latics related) but he makes a point. The rant by Barry Owen was the straw that broke the camel's back for him for the time being. Yes, he has only seen Latics play once this season (and he saw them win - the lucky so and so) but its not like he lives on Sheepfoot lane and it costs him 50% extra to go watch Latics than a lot of people and that's before you factor in any extras like booze, refreshments, programmes. However, he is not the only one who won't be going for a while because Mr. Owen (who gets to watch the game for free from the comfort of the directors box) has decided to have a go at the fans questioning the ethos of the club. Mr. Owen should remember that he is the trust chairman first (I've made my point clear about that on more than one occassion) and a member of the board second. How much is this rant going to cost the club? It would only take 50 adults not to turn up to a game they would have otherwise gone to for it to be £1000, how much has the trust raised for the club this year? I'm not sure but if an employee of a business cost that business £1000 by his personal actions then a few business might well ask him to pay that back or face the consequences- but Mr. Owen is safe isn't he, after all he was "fairly elected" and some senior people in the trust feel he is the only candidate for the job.

This is not the first time that members of the board have caused fans to not go to games from their personal actions (as opposed to the actions of the club). I'm not saying the board should not say anything but I do think that considering we are loosing fans by the performances on the pitch, the business actions related to the club (knocking the Lookers down and having generally naff facilities) I'm not sure the club can afford to loose fans over the personal actions of its employees.

OK, so 0000 has posted a somewhat self-indulgent post, and Yes he has a load of posts (although many are non-Latics related) but he makes a point. The rant by Barry Owen was the straw that broke the camel's back for him for the time being. Yes, he has only seen Latics play once this season (and he saw them win - the lucky so and so) but its not like he lives on Sheepfoot lane and it costs him 50% extra to go watch Latics than a lot of people and that's before you factor in any extras like booze, refreshments, programmes. However, he is not the only one who won't be going for a while because Mr. Owen (who gets to watch the game for free from the comfort of the directors box) has decided to have a go at the fans questioning the ethos of the club. Mr. Owen should remember that he is the trust chairman first (I've made my point clear about that on more than one occassion) and a member of the board second. How much is this rant going to cost the club? It would only take 50 adults not to turn up to a game they would have otherwise gone to for it to be £1000, how much has the trust raised for the club this year? I'm not sure but if an employee of a business cost that business £1000 by his personal actions then a few business might well ask him to pay that back or face the consequences- but Mr. Owen is safe isn't he, after all he was "fairly elected" and some senior people in the trust feel he is the only candidate for the job.

This is not the first time that members of the board have caused fans to not go to games from their personal actions (as opposed to the actions of the club). I'm not saying the board should not say anything but I do think that considering we are loosing fans by the performances on the pitch, the business actions related to the club (knocking the Lookers down and having generally naff facilities) I'm not sure the club can afford to loose fans over the personal actions of its employees.

Always has been a touch of the 'Ratners' about Size 9 Barry