more fans at BP, our ethnic communties

Would you stop attending BP?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stop attending latics games if our ethnic communties start attending?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a group of around 40 or 50 singing EDL chants and the hate pakis one, especially around the bar area at half time. I got beaten up very badly a couple of years ago after I told a lad of around 14 year old to stop racially abusing the guy who worked in the pizza shop. Got outside and all his mates followed me, and eventually caught me and collectively gave me a good beating. I ended up in hospital. I'm not doing it again.

I thought the behavour of some of the Latics fans was a joke. The tyrade of abuse being thrown at stuards was a joke, plus the abuse hurled constatntly at our own players was simply amazing. I think I was probably sat to close to the moron section.

It was a sad day at Tranmere for me. I thought all that rght wing stuff had gone.

Anyone who was there when we won at Port Vale knows how bad it can get. People who for all I know might have been as racist as they come in their personal opinions were still moving themselves and certainly their kids well out of the way. Some people thrive on passion, some thrive on hate.

Personally I would like to see some of our more regular fans make a point of not joining in with this nonsense when it starts up. It was intriguing at Vale to see how many people who had avowed their tolerant credentials on the internet who were standing with the irregulars with their arms in the air pointing out that, "we come from a town of racist fans," or similar.

It's not the norm though . As I say, reach out to everyone who doesn't come an dtarget the kids, regardless of race or anything else.

The answer was that he had friends that love to watch a footy game but preferred to go and watch Manure/citeh simple because they felt "more safe" there than BP. Interesting comment I thought, do we have a untapped fan base out there that we can persuade to get to a game?

This here, is a load of b****cks. The reason anyone from Oldham, regardless of skin colour/ethnic background, supports them down the road is because they are a set of glory hunting GITS.

This here, is a load of b****cks. The reason anyone from Oldham, regardless of skin colour/ethnic background, supports them down the road is because they are a set of glory hunting GITS.

Fair comment, so its the standard of our footy that's keeping many fans away?

So, If we were championship/premiership material we would have more fans of course but would we have more ethnic communties supporting us too?

Don't remember much of boost in the 90's from ethnic communities?

Fair comment, so its the standard of our footy that's keeping many fans away?

So, If we were championship/premiership material we would have more fans of course but would we have more ethnic communties supporting us too?

Don't remember much of boost in the 90's from ethnic communities?

Our level of support from ethnic communities would probably be in proportion to what City get. If City get 40,000 through the gate, I bet there are less than 400 asian fans which is less than 1%. Obviously, I have no stats to back this up so I am just guessing. The same with Man U. I know there are those lads who sit near the bench who I always see on the telly, but I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the crowd at OT was asian (well, minus the tourists obviously!)

Does anyone know what proportion of Bolton's fans are from ethnic minorities. They actuall have a high profile British-Asian fan, and Bolton are in the prem so you would think it would be easier than most to attract ethnic minorities, but I am guessing most people in Bolton (white or ethnic) are glory hunting reds.

This here, is a load of b****cks. The reason anyone from Oldham, regardless of skin colour/ethnic background, supports them down the road is because they are a set of glory hunting gits.

I've asked the question both here and on JLK, as to what it is that got people to their first game at Latics. Mostly, it's family, often going back through several generations. There plainly just isn't that for people whose parent or grandparents came to the UK to meet the unwillingness of local employees to keep the mills viable in the 1960s or 1970s by working night shifts or any later immigration, any more than there would maybe be if they had moved from another part of the country where people weren't into football much.

I'm one of the exceptions. I was born in Rochdale, my dad is from Preston, his dad took him to PNE to try and toughen him up but he wanted to go home and read books. My mum is Irish. Latics caught me with free tickets via St Aidans, I would never have gone to live football with anyone if it hadn't been for that. There are thousands of kids out there with no football allegiance whose lives we should be looking to poison just like my life was poisond back then, as well as lots of people who might just fancy seeing some sport as a day out. It's poisoning the kids that is the future though.

Our level of support from ethnic communities would probably be in proportion to what City get. If City get 40,000 through the gate, I bet there are less than 400 asian fans which is less than 1%. Obviously, I have no stats to back this up so I am just guessing. The same with Man U. I know there are those lads who sit near the bench who I always see on the telly, but I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the crowd at OT was asian (well, minus the tourists obviously!)

Does anyone know what proportion of Bolton's fans are from ethnic minorities. They actuall have a high profile British-Asian fan, and Bolton are in the prem so you would think it would be easier than most to attract ethnic minorities, but I am guessing most people in Bolton (white or ethnic) are glory hunting reds.

Thanks for the further comments and response Dave

The thread is ridiculous and surely rather insulting to the integrity of most members of this board. Of course ethnic communities are welcome at BP. FFS, the club are owned by members of an ethnic community/minority (and let's not let that comment descend into a discussion of what constitutes ethnicity, that's not what this is about). Plus whilst OAFC sadly has its share of racist idiots (as shown by the 6 who have so far voted 'yes'), I am nowhere near convinced that it is any worse for our club than any other one.

but there will be no place for there matts :D only joking muahahaha

Point the new stadium to Mecca and have a pray room, employers seem to be offering at least pray rooms for most religions these days.

Thanks Kungfoo....pray room in the new stadium it is. :wink: Latics is a religion and most of us are using god related sayings on the terraces these days.

The thread is ridiculous and surely rather insulting to the integrity of most members of this board. Of course ethnic communities are welcome at BP. FFS, the club are owned by members of an ethnic community/minority (and let's not let that comment descend into a discussion of what constitutes ethnicity, that's not what this is about). Plus whilst OAFC sadly has its share of racist idiots (as shown by the 6 who have so far voted 'yes'), I am nowhere near convinced that it is any worse for our club than any other one.

Thanks however, I did not start this thread with regards to ethnicity in general. Just wonder how we could tap into the communities and get bums on seats in general. Its possible too late for BP now but a new stadium, new start maybe

Point the new stadium to Mecca and have a pray room, employers seem to be offering at least pray rooms for most religions these days.

Thanks Kungfoo....pray room in the new stadium it is. :wink: Latics is a religion and most of us are using god related sayings on the terraces these days.

Why not go the whole hog and build a Mosque, Synagogue, Sikh Temple on the site as well? That'll get them through the gates!

Why not go the whole hog and build a Mosque, Synagogue, Sikh Temple on the site as well? That'll get them through the gates!

My thought might sound a little stupid "A pray room". However, if the new stadium is going to be used for the community on none match days, such as maybe life long leaning centre, employability courses, corporate do's, function rooms, gym, sports bar etc. The archietects are going to have to consider it.

I know one of the college's in Oldham has one for both students and staff.

If it gets supporters though the gates should we not take into consideration what the communities of Oldham would use the stadium for on match/non match days?

To be honest Jss I think there is actually a hint of you-know-what behind the anti TTA money-making allegations, as ever not from most people but as an undercurrent, I've heard it explicitly a few times. And that is from someone who has probably pushed the boat to the extreme and perhaps beyond on matters Jewish in the search of workable puns. It's not really any answer to ask why Pakis and Bangers don't come to games to point out that the club is owned by Jews though, surely? The large gentlemen singing songs at recent games have been quite specific who they dislike, and I think you are safer than me if they uncover my family history.

Oldham like an awful lot of football clubs in the country has its share of racist/bigoted idiots who will abuse our own players (including the legend who is Sir Roger of Palmer) just because they are different. I'd be more likely to stop going to BP from the actions of our own current fans than anyone new. Its quite clear who some of our racist/bigoted fans are but how much has been done about them?

If we were to do anything specific about attracting fans from certain ethnic minorites to the club then I know some people may argue that the club is racist (and possibly quite rightly). I feel its much more important that we include those from ethnic minorites when we do schemes to attract young fans- like not just giving away free tickets to the schools where the majority are white. People don't attend football for numerous reasons what Oldham as a club has to try and do is make sure the personal views of a minority of its fans isn't one of them.

To be honest Jss I think there is actually a hint of you-know-what behind the anti TTA money-making allegations, as ever not from most people but as an undercurrent, I've heard it explicitly a few times. And that is from someone who has probably pushed the boat to the extreme and perhaps beyond on matters Jewish in the search of workable puns. It's not really any answer to ask why Pakis and Bangers don't come to games to point out that the club is owned by Jews though, surely? The large gentlemen singing songs at recent games have been quite specific who they dislike, and I think you are safer than me if they uncover my family history.

If there is an undercurrent then that's a shame, perhaps I'm being naive or been talking to the wrong (or right) people but I hadn't detected any 'you-know-what'.

On a side note, has anyone seen the advert for kicking homophobia out of football? I would suggest this would (also sadly) be a more controversial issue in terms of who people felt was welcome at BP. I actually had an odd incident this afternoon, I was at Palace-Villa and the Holmesdale End got rather crowded, to the extent that there were three people per seat in the area we were stood (two in front, one actually on the seat), and one bloke leaned on top of me and shouted abuse at someone on the pitch, but right in my ear. I turned round and gave him a rather bemused look, and his reply was 'don't worry mate, I'm not a queer'. I wasn't thinking that, I was more confused as to why he was calling Delfouneso a 'ginger c*nt'. Anyway, I digress.