Clapping the opposition goalkeeper

I would assume it's common decency and respect.

No goalkeeper should be called a :censored: until he does something wrong. Or plays for Leeds.

Touching naivety.

My understanding was you'd applaud sincerely till the opposition 'keeper applauded back or waved or whatever, at which point you'd tell him to far cough or pull a face or do something similarly outrageous. Nothing to do with decency or respect or Leeds at all.

I remember pulling the same stunt on the backs of coaches on school trips. You'd all wave at some driver, who'd think how cute all these children are for waving at me. He'd wave back, whereupon us little mites (decency and respect foremost in our minds!) drop our trousers and press our arses against the window or give him the Vs or whatever.

When you grow up, I'll tell you about the one where you know it's a corner to the opposition, because you saw it plain as day come off an Oldham player, but you none the less scream at the referree, the lino and the police that it's a goal kick. There are variations on this behaviour, none of which are especially edifying, but all of which are quite fun and somehow totally necessary.

Decency and respect at the football means saying please and thank you at the pie stand.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Toucing naivety.

My understanding was you'd applaud sincerely till the opposition 'keeper applauded back or waved or whatever, at which point you'd tell him to far cough or pull a face or do something similarly outrageous. Nothing to do with decency or respect or Leeds at all.

I remember pulling the same stunt on the backs of coaches on school trips. You'd all wave at some driver, who'd think how cute all these children are for waving at me. He'd wave back, whereupon us little mites (decency and respect foremost in our minds!) drop our trousers and press our arses against the window or give him the Vs or whatever.

When you grow up, I'll tell you about the one where you know it's a corner to the opposition, because you saw it plain as day come off an Oldham player, but you none the less scream at the referree, the lino and the police that it's a goal kick. There are variations on this behaviour, none of which are especially edifying, but all of which are quite fun and somehow totally necessary.

Decency and respect at the football means saying please and thank you at the pie stand.

Yep me to.... Always remember Phil Parkes clapping the Chaddy to a torrent of your sh1t aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Then ecverytime every opposong keeper kicked it .. the exact same ... Still I remember as the sides ran out singing ' Andy Andy Goram(s)' and cheering each player as the team was announced .... and booing the opposition... its a bit reversed now ... it really is !!!

Toucing naivety.

Consider me told and patronised :wink:

I enjoyed it on Saturday when Ince approached the RRE, a group were singing "Dodgy keeper" and he waved, pulled a face and had a laugh with them.

Best ensemble I have seen a keeper wearing since Jorge Campos, I think someone must have told him that he might look good in green.

I've always thought the tradition was a way of welcoming the keeper into the home domain as it were, and to signal that the torrent of abuse he's about to endure for 45 minutes is just good natured banter. Particularly if you intend to spend the half enquiring after the whereabouts of his wife.

Yep me to.... Always remember Phil Parkes clapping the Chaddy to a torrent of your sh1t aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Then ecverytime every opposong keeper kicked it .. the exact same ... Still I remember as the sides ran out singing ' Andy Andy Goram(s)' and cheering each player as the team was announced .... and booing the opposition... its a bit reversed now ... it really is !!!

Me too. I remember Leeds did something similar to Andy Goram and (as usual) we copied it forever after that.

Me too. I remember Leeds did something similar to Andy Goram and (as usual) we copied it forever after that.

On a similar note, what's with the "You :censored: Bastard" at goal kicks? Copied from Leeds? Rubbish - "you're :censored: arghhhh" is miles better.

I've always thought the tradition was a way of welcoming the keeper into the home domain as it were, and to signal that the torrent of abuse he's about to endure for 45 minutes is just good natured banter. Particularly if you intend to spend the half enquiring after the whereabouts of his wife.

:grin: or as my other half did to a Millwall player about to take a corner the other week, enquired about his granny too and that she was better in the sack than his wife the night before.... :wink:

Anyone remember the funniest (and cruellest) abuse we've given an opposition goalkeeper? Maybe I've invented this in my head to improve the story, but I'm sure that we made him cry....

Grimsby away, Boxing Day 2003 - Aidan Davison? His shed went completely that day! (Mind you Pogs wasn't too much better) and two months later Davison's nightmare continued!

Grimsby away, Boxing Day 2003 - Aidan Davison? His shed went completely that day! (Mind you Pogs wasn't too much better) and two months later Davison's nightmare continued!

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one mate - didn't go to that one. I was thinking of "Southall Southall wheres your wife! Southall, wheres your wife!".... :grin:

I guess the tradition of clapping the opponents keeper must come from when they had to dive at players feet and they carried the most risk of injury - hence the old quote/cliche, "you dont have to be mad to be a keeper - but it helps". They used to come in for some right stick from centre forwards - I guess it was out of respect for them - not like now of course, where they have a ridiculous amount of protection.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one mate - didn't go to that one. I was thinking of "Southall Southall wheres your wife! Southall, wheres your wife!".... :grin:

The problem with the Aidan Davison one is that after the first half of being all over the show he proceeded to have a git good game and effectively drew the game for them.