Brighton Post Game Thread

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I don't expect us to go all out attack things like overlapping fullbacks and bursts from midfield would give us more options attacking, add width to our game and cause the oppo more problems. After the initial 5 mins or so we lacked ideas everytime we went forward and its clear to everyone it seems apart from the one that matters.

Without more attacking options the goals just aren't going to come, one thing that I did notice yesterday was that Flav preferred the option from his kicking to go down the flanks but then the player who went up for it deflected it to go further out on the flanks, many times resulting in a Brighton throw.

Played well first 15.

No keeper would of saved that strike for Brighton's first. After that we had one good chance then proceeded to look utterly clueless.

So glad I left at half 4 without looking back. Awful. But what else do you expect from Dave Penney's Oldham team?

Hey Rocky guess what, there 1st goal was a beaut but do you want to hear something funny...My 5yr old nephew said just after it went in..."Brill would have got that as he is taller..."

Funniest thing I heard all day....out of the mouth of babes...

Eaves hitting the bar on the rebound from the penalty:

At the time I thought the keeper got fingers to it, making it an exceptional save to deny Tom his first senior goal.

Sky+ slow motion is inconclusive because he hit the shot so damned hard. Anybody else have a view on it?

Edited by opinions4u

First 15 mins or so we were ok, but brighton soon worked out our one dimensional play and nullified us quite easily. Our build up is far too slow and laboured and we create nothing from the flanks. The midfield just became congested and we don't have anyone with the skill to unlock a defence in there.

Playing whitts on the right wing....WTF?

I liked the look and workrate of guy..if only we could supply him with some decent service to work with.

The 2nd half was unnacceptable......abysmal showing!

With a tough april coming up our destiny is in the balance.

First-half we started well, were first to everything but suffered from a blatant lack of width yet again. We huff and puff, a few efforts off target, Pav misses a good chance by heading wide, Taylor plays one across the face of goal and Guy causes them problems with his pace.

Then Bennett scores an absolute beaut from out wide it goes into the top corner like a rocket WTF have we not even enquired about this boy, he's a great prospect and did ever so well on loan at BUry last season.

Right on HT Pav forces a good save from the keeper, before he makes an even better stop off Taylor's rebound. Second-half we did not turn up, it was directionless, clueless, gutless, passionless and absofeckinlutely clueless. As for the og it was a tap in anyway. We did nothing to get back into the game the players preferring to hide and the crowd got increasingly vociferous in their anti-Penney chants. It was clear to see we wouldn't have scored if we'd played all night. Left with 10 minutes to go, I was bored :censored:less.

Where do we go from here? Well Brentford will be another tough one, so will Gillingham. We need 4 wins out of 10 to stay up in my opinion. Can we get them? Not sure tbh...

I have read through this entire thread and fair play to Oldham fans for giving us credit.It makes a refreshing read.

As for Bennett i don't think you could have afforded him anyway as we paid 200k for him and according to our ex manager he chased him all summer from Wolves.

We can certainly be classed as a serious contender for promotion next season under Poyet who has transformed us in the short time he has been here.With money to burn in the summer and Poyet's eye for good players we will be up there next season.

I know how you feel about your current manager and the future.Micky Adams was a complete failure for us second time around and it nearly cost us our league 1 status.Slade saved us when we looked nailed on for the drop.

Good luck Oldham and i hope you stay up(i think you will)

Edited by Brightonfan

I've said for some time now that despite what a number of people on here say and think, you can't blame the players. (well maybe with the exception of Parker who in all honesty seems to have lost the inspiration to play football full stop)

IMO the players HAVE put in the effort week in week out and that for me is a real positive.

From last seasons team under Shez, we still have Hazell, Whittaker, Smalley, Lomax, Gregan, Taylor, Lee. Add to that Stephens was on the books last season with a view to him being blooded in over a period of time and Alessandra who has been out injured all season. That is the nucleus of a team that a lot of fans thought could win us promotion last season, a team that at times under Shez played some good football. Those same players have not become bad players, but they are playing to a different discipline.

From last seasons squad we have lost, Crossley, Fleming, Liddell, Allott, Stam, Maher, O'Grady, Davies, Eardley and Hughes. Crossley was always going to be his last season at this level, Fleming divided opinion, Lids's legs went, Allott wanted 2 years we only offered 1, so he went to Tranmere and before playing for them dropped down a league to join Chesterfield. Maher never settled and to be honest never really impressed, Stam, I would have kept whilst O'Grady having scored for fun in division 4, never looked like scoring in division 3 and is now on his SEVENTH club., whilst Craig Davies fell out with Shez and never recovered.

That leaves, for me at least, the 2 players we have missed most. Eardley for his consistency (how some supporters could have him as their boo boy really baffled me) and Hughes for his goals. Eardley was always going to go on to bigger and better things and I firmly believe that he will move upwards from Blackpool. Hughes was supposed to be going to the Championship last January with Doncaster and he had to settle for 4th Division Notts County. Why? Money possibly but surely a team in our league could have matched his wages at County say Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, Charlton and 1 or 2 others. Whilst I think we have missed Highes's goals, why hasn't someone in our league taken him?

What have we replaced these players with:

Purdie, who we haven't been able to judge, Holdsworth, Worthington, Brill, Jacobson, Abbott, Furman and :censored: oh yes and Parker. With the 2 exceptions I have mentioned, like for like is that any worse than we let go?

So, if the nucleus of the squad is intact and we have replaced for the most part like for like, the real question is why are we struggling? Sure injuries have not helped. It happened to Shez in his second season and it is a major factor not being to put out the same side week in week out. As a team, we are far more organised defensively than I can remember in nigh on 40 years, even under JR. But has that "organisation" killed creativity in a way that we as fans do not like?

I've said for some time now that despite what a number of people on here say and think, you can't blame the players. (well maybe with the exception of Parker who in all honesty seems to have lost the inspiration to play football full stop)

IMO the players HAVE put in the effort week in week out and that for me is a real positive.

From last seasons team under Shez, we still have Hazell, Whittaker, Smalley, Lomax, Gregan, Taylor, Lee. Add to that Stephens was on the books last season with a view to him being blooded in over a period of time and Alessandra who has been out injured all season. That is the nucleus of a team that a lot of fans thought could win us promotion last season, a team that at times under Shez played some good football. Those same players have not become bad players, but they are playing to a different discipline.

From last seasons squad we have lost, Crossley, Fleming, Liddell, Allott, Stam, Maher, O'Grady, Davies, Eardley and Hughes. Crossley was always going to be his last season at this level, Fleming divided opinion, Lids's legs went, Allott wanted 2 years we only offered 1, so he went to Tranmere and before playing for them dropped down a league to join Chesterfield. Maher never settled and to be honest never really impressed, Stam, I would have kept whilst O'Grady having scored for fun in division 4, never looked like scoring in division 3 and is now on his SEVENTH club., whilst Craig Davies fell out with Shez and never recovered.

That leaves, for me at least, the 2 players we have missed most. Eardley for his consistency (how some supporters could have him as their boo boy really baffled me) and Hughes for his goals. Eardley was always going to go on to bigger and better things and I firmly believe that he will move upwards from Blackpool. Hughes was supposed to be going to the Championship last January with Doncaster and he had to settle for 4th Division Notts County. Why? Money possibly but surely a team in our league could have matched his wages at County say Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, Charlton and 1 or 2 others. Whilst I think we have missed Highes's goals, why hasn't someone in our league taken him?

Purdie, who we haven't been able to judge, Holdsworth, Worthington, Brill, Jacobson, Abbott, Furman and :censored: oh yes and Parker. With the 2 exceptions I have mentioned, like for like is that any worse than we let go?

So, if the nucleus of the squad is intact and we have replaced for the most part like for like, the real question is why are we struggling? Sure injuries have not helped. It happened to Shez in his second season and it is a major factor not being to put out the same side week in week out. As a team, we are far more organised defensively than I can remember in nigh on 40 years, even under JR. But has that "organisation" killed creativity in a way that we as fans do not like?

good post,i agree the players are putting in the effort but the tactics are not working creating a sag in confidence then the insults start from the crowd,we should be trying to spur them on not putting them down at every opportunity,sadly there wasnt a lot of singing around me on saturday or tuesday,the crowd noises were just insults

An excellent, concise summary.

Oh my F......god??? You're being serious too!

That's the first own goal I've ever seen where a player starts and finishes off the move himself! The ball from Worthington t Flav was diabolical....Flav gets there just, in the the nick of time and scuffs it to Hazell who hoofs it to Black who makes a mare of it and their lad storms into the box and fires if across goal....Worthington expertly (for an oppo striker) finishes it off. Anyone who blames Flav at all, in anyway for that goal frankly needs to stop watching footy. And try fishing!

But before that Flav had the opportunity to hoof it clear instead he gives Reuben a bad pass where the his only options were to try and turn a man 15 yards outside his own box or pass it back to Flav- he does the second. Somehow the ball makes its way to Worthy (without it going out of play) who gives a bad pass (I thought it was a 50/50 challenge actually I'll have to see it again) and then the rest happens. Who's fault is it- my argument is that if Flav had simply hoofed it when he had the chance- even if it was out of play it wouldn't have happened. Instead he gives a pass to Reuben which was always going to lead to trouble.

As to Worthy's finish he did what any defender would do in that situation he tried to stop the forward getting to the ball first- unfortunately for him it had the slightly predictable result of an OG.

Incidentally I don't fish. :grin: And you ought to know I know something about footy- after all you've sat within hearing distance of me on more than one occassion.

Last week I wouldn't be changing my opinion on any factors around the club until the end of the season. Yesterday I did, and it surprised me.

I don't rate at all what's happened this year, and before yesterday, if Penney went I'd be sorta happy, but now I'm getting behind him. There are several reasons why:

1. Firstly, I was actually entertained by certain parts of the game - although not enough. That's one of Penney's first tasks right there. We need to perform for the full 90 minutes, but I'm willing to give the chance.

2. He's made some mistakes - i.e bringing certain players like Furman to the club. Again, I'm gonna give him time to rectify these mistakes. And now Furman: what an absolutely pathetic player he really is. Lazy, useless and a coward. Between him and Whittaker yesterday, they ran about a mile, passed the ball about 7 times, got in the way countless times and surrendered possession countless times. I've never been a fan of Furman. He came with this ridiculous reputation, but he's been one of our worst players this season by some way. Doesn't deserve his starting place. Nor does Whiitaker. Now, I've defended him ever since he got stick, but yesterday I realised how lazy and frankly arrogant he is. He refused to close down, ran round like a headless chicken, and blamed others in a Gregan-esque (last season) way. I lost all respect for him yesterday.

3. Penney has a bunch of hypocritical, miserable, moaning bunch of fans all around him. You've got the idiots at the back of the RRE, who don't watch the game, don't have a clue what's going on, and don't understand football in the slightest. They turn up with their chavvy mates and simply jump on the bandwagon. Then you've got the prats who moan at absolutely everything and as soon as we concede piss off outta the ground. My opinion on my own fans is currently at an all-time low.

Now, Penney deserves some stick. He gets it and I'm sure he knows he should be getting some. As do the players. As a collective we've not been good enough, but I for one bemoan how little time managers get in charge, and when I see what he's got to work with and under what budget, I totally sympathise. He need to improve, absolutely, but I'm willing to give him more time.

As for the game, we would have won that game if we'd remained dominant in the first half. Their first goal was special, their second was an utter joke. Unlucky not to get at least a point, if not all three.

You have virtually answered your own question...negative tactics.

Last week I wouldn't be changing my opinion on any factors around the club until the end of the season. Yesterday I did, and it surprised me.

I don't rate at all what's happened this year, and before yesterday, if Penney went I'd be sorta happy, but now I'm getting behind him. There are several reasons why:

1. Firstly, I was actually entertained by certain parts of the game - although not enough. That's one of Penney's first tasks right there. We need to perform for the full 90 minutes, but I'm willing to give the chance.

2. He's made some mistakes - i.e bringing certain players like Furman to the club. Again, I'm gonna give him time to rectify these mistakes. And now Furman: what an absolutely pathetic player he really is. Lazy, useless and a coward. Between him and Whittaker yesterday, they ran about a mile, passed the ball about 7 times, got in the way countless times and surrendered possession countless times. I've never been a fan of Furman. He came with this ridiculous reputation, but he's been one of our worst players this season by some way. Doesn't deserve his starting place. Nor does Whiitaker. Now, I've defended him ever since he got stick, but yesterday I realised how lazy and frankly arrogant he is. He refused to close down, ran round like a headless chicken, and blamed others in a Gregan-esque (last season) way. I lost all respect for him yesterday.

3. Penney has a bunch of hypocritical, miserable, moaning bunch of fans all around him. You've got the idiots at the back of the RRE, who don't watch the game, don't have a clue what's going on, and don't understand football in the slightest. They turn up with their chavvy mates and simply jump on the bandwagon. Then you've got the prats who moan at absolutely everything and as soon as we concede piss off outta the ground. My opinion on my own fans is currently at an all-time low.

Now, Penney deserves some stick. He gets it and I'm sure he knows he should be getting some. As do the players. As a collective we've not been good enough, but I for one bemoan how little time managers get in charge, and when I see what he's got to work with and under what budget, I totally sympathise. He need to improve, absolutely, but I'm willing to give him more time.

As for the game, we would have won that game if we'd remained dominant in the first half. Their first goal was special, their second was an utter joke. Unlucky not to get at least a point, if not all three.

Really?? I must have watched a different game...2nd half we were abysmal, we couldn't string more than a couple of passes together and created next to nothing,if we were still playing now we wouldn't have scored from open play.

[/b]Really?? I must have watched a different game...2nd half we were abysmal, we couldn't string more than a couple of passes together and created next to nothing,if we were still playing now we wouldn't have scored from open play.

Oh but I thought Oldham fans just loved to get a result and didn't care about performances? Y'know, bring back Sheridan and all that? Hitting the bar, post and missing a penalty was unlucky not win last season, wasn't it?

In that case, with the potential cost, they will probably not be interested in changing the manager.

Correct it is now purely a financial balancing act and property business ,going down will make no difference it might even be financially beneficial to being Division 1 allsorans

Oh but I thought Oldham fans just loved to get a result and didn't care about performances? Y'know, bring back Sheridan and all that? Hitting the bar, post and missing a penalty was unlucky not win last season, wasn't it?

The truth is when we needed to up our game yesterday after going 2 down ..heads dropped and nobody was willing to take responsibility to inject some life and fight into us......We were dire 2nd half and never looked like getting back into the game.........Penney's motivational skills are zilch.

You can't have been happy with the 2nd half showing yesterday?

Eaves hitting the bar on the rebound from the penalty:

At the time I thought the keeper got fingers to it, making it an exceptional save to deny Tom his first senior goal.

Sky+ slow motion is inconclusive because he hit the shot so damned hard. Anybody else have a view on it?

If keeper did save it, then am surprised he didnt break his fingers with the amount of power on the shot

One thing that baffles me is why was :censored: on the bench after a solid game at Stockport. I cannot understand why he is being consistently overlooked for in my humble opinion - Gregan appart- he was our most consistent performer in the first half of the season.

Reportedly he has fallen out with DP

So, what do you think of that Furman lad?

So, what do you think of that Furman lad?

Furman and Worthington should not both play in the same team, they are too much alike, in fact against Brighton they were trying to tackle the same players.

It was poor tactics IMO to play them in midfield together, especially at home.

Edited by BP1960