Election 2010 - Pre Campaign Vote

Election 2010 - Pre Campaign Vote  

218 members have voted

1. 1. If the election was today, who would you vote for ?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • UK Independence Party
    • Green Party
    • British National Party
    • Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • I am not going to vote

I just hope that when it comes to the election, people's votes are based on the policies promised by the parties rather than the usual tribal mentality of "My parents never ever voted <insert party> and neither will I". Otherwise it's a pointless vote akin to not bothering at all.

Quite often you find that the people who moan about the state of the country are those that haven't voted, or those that don't know what was in the manifesto of the party they voted for.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reported this morning that News of the World have switched their allegiances to Tories

News of the World are basically is basically the Sun on a Sunday isn't it. Murdoch changed his allegiences last year some time so they seem a little slow to report this.

And in my opinion, after the expenses scandal, its something that will be inevitable,

Though I would say UKIP are as just as dodgy if not relatively more. I just wish there was an alternative party which tried to represent people rather than there own opinions. I thought the Jury Party might do that until I saw there main candidate in the Euro Elections thought he could solve everything through Homeopathic Medicines.

Though I would say UKIP are as just as dodgy if not relatively more. I just wish there was an alternative party which tried to represent people rather than there own opinions. I thought the Jury Party might do that until I saw there main candidate in the Euro Elections thought he could solve everything through Homeopathic Medicines.

They are a bunch of crackpots if I ever saw one. They've cobbled together a bunch of ideas from the front page of the Daily Hate, chucked in a few populist ideas from the other parties and wrapped it up in a ribbon of nonsense.

They are a bunch of crackpots if I ever saw one. They've cobbled together a bunch of ideas from the front page of the Daily Hate, chucked in a few populist ideas from the other parties and wrapped it up in a ribbon of nonsense.

Sounds like the Tea Party in America...

Very interesting to see nobody would back an independent candidate.

I would say we need more people and less parties in Westminster.

Oi, I'm having a party in Westminster a week Friday and nobody is going to stop me!

It really will speak very badly of Cameron if he can't get a decent majority against the idiot in Number 10, but it might jst pan out that way. By God another Labour government would be a tired old bunch, most of them have already been tried as ministers and failed one way or another or were too poor to ever try.

I just hope that when it comes to the election, people's votes are based on the policies promised by the parties rather than the usual tribal mentality of "My parents never ever voted <insert party> and neither will I". Otherwise it's a pointless vote akin to not bothering at all.

Quite often you find that the people who moan about the state of the country are those that haven't voted, or those that don't know what was in the manifesto of the party they voted for.

thats very well said, I was having this conversation the other day with someone with the same attitude and I find it very sad, if people paid more attention at election time then maybe it would be different

I'll be honest atm I'm giving it serious though but I still haven't decided who to vote for but I'm keeping my options open

Osborne was right about the recovery needing to come from the private sector though, the public sector is paid for out of taxes raised out of the private sector. Without it who funds the recovery, you can't just churn the money in the system as we already know the problems this will cause(quantitive easing ;-( may work short term but not in the long term). If anyone needs examples of where this went wrong there are planty of them in 1930s+ history. The autobahns are a lasting legacy!

Watched the chancellor debate tonight and I thought Cable walked it... Best by miles...

Was shocked Darling did so well...

Osborne was bloody rubbish. Weak weak weak :)

Quite why Clarke was brought back into the shadow cabinet and not immediately given Osborne's role will remain a mystery.

Disagree with your earlier point abput the optimum number of parties. In my view it is the predominance of the party system which has brough British politics to the sorry state it is. I don't doubt for a second tha there are many principled, public minded individuals who enter parliamnet as greenhorns but when they are told what to wear, what to say, how to think and how to vote it isn't hard to see how disillusionment cam kick in and lead many to think that if you can't beat them then you might as well join them.

It also makes voting for any individual all but pointless which is a major reason in the low turn outs we have seen in recnet elections.

Disagree with your earlier point abput the optimum number of parties. In my view it is the predominance of the party system which has brough British politics to the sorry state it is. I don't doubt for a second tha there are many principled, public minded individuals who enter parliamnet as greenhorns but when they are told what to wear, what to say, how to think and how to vote it isn't hard to see how disillusionment cam kick in and lead many to think that if you can't beat them then you might as well join them.

It also makes voting for any individual all but pointless which is a major reason in the low turn outs we have seen in recnet elections.

? My point ?

? My point ?

My money is on the following:

1. Hung Parliament, Labour winning most seats.

2. Lib Dems to win between 70 and 79 seats.

3. Gordon Brown to be Prime Minister 1 month after the election.

4. Lower than 55% turnout.

5. Hazel Blears to win in Salford and Eccles.

6. Woolas to win in Oldham.

(The last two are basically so I can cut my losses, but all six are possible. I'll be looking out for any against-the-swing results for unpopular / popular incumbents, so if anyone's get any local inklings, feel free to share them.)

I see them all close up, day in, day out, and in my opinion, there is no alternative to Labour. The Tories are lightweights and possibly even dangerous, and they sure as hell don't give a flying :censored: for anyone in the North, and the Lib Dems are just liars and freaks (God knows why people are obsessed with Cable).

Cable is free to say what he wants, he has a finance background and knows his stuff. Darling isn't bad, needs to free himself a bit more from Gordon's influence and Osborne, oh George, they have been keeping you in the background for a reason. Too late to change shadow chancellor now as it would look bad but if they win you are out, if they lose, you are out. He might as well start snorting coke off prossies tits and killing kittens live on telly as it doesn't matter what he does now.

I can honestly say I really really don't know who I will vote for on may 6th.

Do I think that labour deserve another five years....no!!!

Do I trust the tories as far as I can spit? Hell no.....

Hell I don't trust any of them as far as I can spit

I miss Tony :)

So do I. Like I miss VD. :blink:

Unfortunately the only thing that the chancellor debate on Monday night achieved is that a few potential Tory voters who are particularly interested in the economic side will have begun to waiver.

I say unfortunately because I'm not convinced any of them would be persuaded to vote Lib Dem even though they'd probably all rather have Cable as chancellor.

Just show's the state of British politics when a pair such as Cameron and Osbourne are in with a shout. Or indeed some lament after Blair who after all his trials is still to many the best figure head. Gordon's heart is in the right place as a Labour politician goes whether his policies are the right ones no one really knows after such a global meltdown and we know exactly what we'll get with him. Does anyone really know what the Tory policies are? have they made any clear commitment on any other than the 1% increase in NI contributions they've said will be scrapped? Cable seems to be drawing credit from a fair chunk of people but as he any real chance with Nick Clegg being the chancelor with the Lib Dems?

Edited by Lags