Just out of interest

It was in 74/5, our first season in Div 2 after promotion.

You are correct Pete.

We played Fulham in our 4th home game of the season. We had just been promoted from division 3 and were unbeaten at home having see off Sheff Wednesday in our first home game. We then beat Bristol City 2-0 and Blackpool 1-0.

We beat Fulham 1-0 with Sir Bobby Moore scoring that fanous own goal with a flying header in front of the Chaddy. Probably the best OG I have seen in my life never mind at Boundary Park. (yes even better than Kevin Francis)

Next home game we lost 1-2 to Aston Villa, who had John Gidman sent off after continually bringing down Grovsie who had tormented him all afternoon.

It was also the year of our famous other 1-0 trashing of United when a Maurice Whittle penalty sent the red devils back to Old Trafford with their tails between their legs on (I think) the 28th December in front of around 26,000 at Boundary Park

You are correct Pete.

We played Fulham in our 4th home game of the season. We had just been promoted from division 3 and were unbeaten at home having see off Sheff Wednesday in our first home game. We then beat Bristol City 2-0 and Blackpool 1-0.

We beat Fulham 1-0 with Sir Bobby Moore scoring that fanous own goal with a flying header in front of the Chaddy. Probably the best OG I have seen in my life never mind at Boundary Park. (yes even better than Kevin Francis)

Next home game we lost 1-2 to Aston Villa, who had John Gidman sent off after continually bringing down Grovsie who had tormented him all afternoon.

It was also the year of our famous other 1-0 trashing of United when a Maurice Whittle penalty sent the red devils back to Old Trafford with their tails between their legs on (I think) the 28th December in front of around 26,000 at Boundary Park

the good old days , and when we played manure at home ronnie blair scored a goal ,but the ref did not give it ,and there is a photo showing the ball in the net , i think the title is called the goal that never was scored !

the good old days , and when we played manure at home ronnie blair scored a goal ,but the ref did not give it ,and there is a photo showing the ball in the net , i think the title is called the goal that never was scored !

1974-75 was a very exciting season. After romping to promotion the previous season with a strong finish from January onwards (including winning 10 on the bounce in the league) we were in a relegation battle. We were basically pathetic away from home, failing to win all season, drawing 8 and losing 13 (42 games in those days for the top 2 divisions) However our home form was more than good enough, winning 10 drawing seven and losing 4. (Villa, York, Bristol Rovers and Hull City)

Another fact from that season is that we were the 1st opponents for Brian Clough as he took over at Forest and we beat them 2-0 at BP. Strange that we should then relegate him from the premiership in his last season as a manager.

At Easter we were done by a Macari late winner at OT (cheeting red barsteward put it in with his hand - But hey we got revenge a few years later by hammering his West Ham team 6-0 in the middle of his betting scandal with the Chaddy taunting him with chants of "has Macari had a bet") before hammering Cardiff 4-0 to secure our status a few days later at BP when Grovesy was once again unplayable.

Typical Latics "celebrated" survival by going to Villa the following week and getting hammered 5-0.

I was about 2 months old so I wasn't

i remember going to fulham when man u got there game against qpr called off. So they all invaded craven cottage, the blighters where singing

OLDHAMAN UNITED...but there where that many of the rascals that i joined in to to save a kicking because one bone head only had eyes for me

if you get my drift ...hey ho :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I think it was 1976/77, I was there 14 years old, still remember it well.

Me too......lashed it down all day..Peter Mellor had a blinder but had no chance with the flying Moore header. Came from a Mo Whittle cross if I remember rightly

You are correct Pete.

The weekend of the Villa game was the weekend the market hall burned down. Ray Graydon ripped us apart

i remember going to fulham when man u got there game against qpr called off. So they all invaded craven cottage, the blighters where singing

OLDHAMAN UNITED...but there where that many of the rascals that i joined in to to save a kicking because one bone head only had eyes for me

if you get my drift ...hey ho :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I remember that.We got beat 5-0 and Best played.Freezing cold and had to put up with mixing with the scum on the train as well.At least they were in the open end with Oldham fansto support us.

Remember the York match when Maurice scored......All the streets round the ground full of Yelloway coaches that had brought the hordes of Latics fans.

Think in the Villa match Keiths Hicks scored a decent own goal.

Went to the Fulham match and stood in the side with all my Manure relations after their match was postponed.