General Election

Wrong again. Quite a habit you've developed. (Is there any way back? Suggestion: check the facts.)

Mandy resigned after attempting to influence the passport application process in favour of one of the Hinduja brothers. There was never any suggestion that he influenced, attempted to influence, thought about considering trying to maybe perhaps influence or otherwise the passport application of any personal special friend, including the Brazilian bloke with the cute dog. There's no suggestion that he was barely legal, in either an age or an immigration-status sense.

Oh dear.

Your blind, mad hatred (in lieu of anything more solid) reminds me of this classic hate piece from the paper that supports Nazis...Read on, MacDuffer...

lA bit of homophobia, a bit of xenophobia, a touch of blind hatred and some scarcely credible aside from a snooty Tory and Bingo! A Hate Mail Classic.

Come off it, next thing you'll be telling me he didn't actually order guacamole in a Hartlepool chippy.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Tory nutcase. Dreary me. Don't think she's going to win like, but nevertheless, this is astonishing.

Linky

Not sure about curing homosexuality, but it would take a lot more than the power of prayer to cure Peter Mandleson of being Peter Mandleson.

Shall we just accept there's as many nutters in the shadows of the Tory camp as there are in the shadows of the Labour camp?

(The word "camp" used advisedly... :wink: )

garcon's update from the campaign trail:

There are far too many steps, hills and long drives in Saddleworth, and far too many houses that combine all three!

However, it's easy to be spurred on when you can see the tide is turning pretty sharply in the Saddleworth half of Oldham East & Saddleworth. Woolas is going to need every single Labour voter in the Oldham half to turn out on Thursday.

Woolas knows this and he's desperate. The Labour 'newspaper' that's gone out over the last day or two is so bad it's almost funny. The last time I saw so many outright lies in a paper it had 'Daily Mail' on the front. The entire paper is fiction, much of it actually libellous. Do not be distracted by this pathetic attempt to smear Elwyn Watkins and the Lib Dem campaign - it's the desperate act of a desperate, unethical man who will do and say anything to try and keep his seat.

On a personal note, it's a shame my Dad stood for council so late in life - he's retiring after one term on Thursday and I've been overwhelmed by the genuine support for him from all kinds of people in Royton South. Be assured, voters, that Mari Wiswell is a superb candidate who would make a very able and I hope popular replacement.

I would feel truly sorry for the people of Royton South if the feckless thug that is Phil Harrison won instead. We got rid of him a couple of years ago, so his support in Royton is clearly fragile (not surprising given his history and the fact he lives in Moorside - hardly your local man, eh?). Finally, Oldham fans please remember his role in the Boundary Park NIMBY/planning affair - aided by his partner in crime in the chair (Bashforth) it was Harrison who spoke in both planning meetings against Latics' redevelopment plans.

More to come (maybe!). Day off today to nurse my aching limbs!

I got a Lib Dem one through from our local candidate called Joe Crotty containing five grammar errors. Now my English skills are not the best but when it comes to my professional work I double and triple check everything. I sent her and email informing her of her lack of attention and never got a reply :lol:

I got a Lib Dem one through from our local candidate called Joe Crotty containing five grammar errors. Now my English skills are not the best but when it comes to my professional work I double and triple check everything. I sent her and email informing her of her lack of attention and never got a reply :lol:

Arf!

We got rid of him a couple of years ago, so his support in Royton is clearly fragile (not surprising given his history and the fact he lives in Moorside - hardly your local man, eh?).

This pisses me off in politics. You get the opportunity to vote between career politicians who have been shoved into your constituency and have nothing to do with the local populace. There needs to be a change in this. Must be on the electoral register in that constituency for x amount of years seems an option (owning a residence there hardly does anything)?

That is poor.

Mind you, I forget the precise wording but Labour sent out a leaflet in Oldham (Royton I think) with a blatant spelling mistake in their main headline!

So much for education improving over the last 13 years, eh? :lol::wink:

This pisses me off in politics. You get the opportunity to vote between career politicians who have been shoved into your constituency and have nothing to do with the local populace. There needs to be a change in this. Must be on the electoral register in that constituency for x amount of years seems an option (owning a residence there hardly does anything)?

I certainly agree for parliamentary constituencies, but it can be difficult when it comes to council wards. Before anyone else points it out, the other Lib Dem councillor for Royton South actually lives in Royton North. But at least that's nearer than Moorside... :grin:

I certainly agree for parliamentary constituencies, but it can be difficult when it comes to council wards. Before anyone else points it out, the other Lib Dem councillor for Royton South actually lives in Royton North. But at least that's nearer than Moorside... :grin:

In fact, if he walks about 20 yards down a path he finds himself mysteriously appearing in Royton South!

At which point he could take a photo of a granny falling in to a water-filled pothole and blame the council for it (in years when the Libs aren't running the joint).

Edited by opinions4u

That is poor.

Mind you, I forget the precise wording but Labour sent out a leaflet in Oldham (Royton I think) with a blatant spelling mistake in their main headline!

So much for education improving over the last 13 years, eh? :lol::wink:

<_<

Me and the wife got two separate letters from the Labour man, Nick Bent... Wife was pretty pissed off getting two letters containing the same bollocks so she complained to him. Got an email saying sorry and explaining why. Apparently people get pissed off when they are not treated as individual voters. So he noticed his preferences.

It swung my wifes vote.

I know I am pro Labour but this did happen and it goes to show that its the small things that can win votes. Feeling like the candidate has the time of day for you is a big deal to me and the wife.

I get the feeling everyone on here is voting either Lib or Lab... ?

The Lib vote is collapsing at the moment and opening the door for a Tory win, which worries me greatly :(

It's the area the majority on here live in I guess, I have no real Tory option (and wouldn't vote for it if I did), I doubt many around Oldham do.

Conservatives will win this by at least 20-30 seats IMO, due to the usual problem. Bloke says "I'm voting Lib Dem". Goes to vote and promptly crosses next to Labour/Conservative. Walks out and tells the exit polls he voted LD.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

It's the area the majority on here live in I guess, I have no real Tory option (and wouldn't vote for it if I did), I doubt many around Oldham do.

Conservatives will win this by at least 20-30 seats IMO, due to the usual problem. Bloke says "I'm voting Lib Dem". Goes to vote and promptly crosses next to Labour/Conservative. Walks out and tells the exit polls he voted LD.

While people can bang on about debt as much as they want... I ain't looking forward to pre 97 schools and hospitals again... My little one is defo going private if those :censored:ers get back in. Feel sorry for the families that don't have the option and will be screwed over.

While people can bang on about debt as much as they want... I ain't looking forward to pre 97 schools and hospitals again... My little one is defo going private if those :censored:ers get back in. Feel sorry for the families that don't have the option and will be screwed over.

We all aren't looking forward to the next twenty years now that the money has been spent and China owns more of my house than I do. It's going to be tough.

People don't quite figure out what that means.

I work in the public sector. It means I could well lose my job (I think it's unlikely, but it's public sector and therefore who you know not what you know). Do I think it's right to cut the public sector? Damn right I do. In that I mean schools, council's and the NHS. All have been far oversubscribed over the Labour period.

Next up. You catch a disease/get an illness. The question is no longer will I survive it. It's should the NHS be funding treatment of it? If the £ per survivor is poor then no they shouldn't. Now, that's a tough decision.

Homes for old people. All will be scrapped. Cost too much.

Death tax. Whatever the Tories say, is a certainty.

Soldiers coming back with injuries not paid enough. Get used to it. Why pay largely unqualified people a decent wage/compensation when you don't have to?

We are destitute and it certainly isn't pretty.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

While people can bang on about debt as much as they want...

For me this is the issue.

Nobody has banged on about debt.

Nobody has had the guts to say how they will really deal with it.

Every penny spent in the public sector has to be earned in the private sector or borrowed. If it's borrowed it has to be paid back eventually - by money earned in the private sector. If you don't have a plan to repay then you go bust.

We can all vote for the party that will best protect our (public sector) jobs, pay us the most child benefit, top up our already half-decent pay with tax credits that we like but don't really need, or protect our £1m home from IHT when I pop my clogs.

It's all meaningless. None of the promises are sustainable and sooner or later public sector jobs, state benefits and services will have to be cut.

The nation needs to increase the income generation in the private sector and massively reduce spending in the public sector. There isn't a political party standing for election that has the honesty to admit it or the guts to deliver it.

At least we give you value for money - far more leaflets than anyone else! :wink:

P.S. It's the Labour leaflets full of lies that take people for mugs...

Tbh garc, whether it's LD or LAB, some of it just comes across as childish, tit-for-tat and desperate. It's the same at national level though, I suppose.

LD definitely leaflet harder...even got one through on the morning of polling day on the last local election.

LD definitely leaflet harder...even got one through on the morning of polling day on the last local election.

At least we now have those attractive blue paper recycling wheelie bins to put them in.

I'm wondering what the environmental impact is of the new driveway I'm having to build to accommodate my car, now that all the bleedin' dustbins have filled it!

...its the small things that can win votes. Feeling like the candidate has the time of day for you is a big deal to me and the wife.

Entirely agree, and your Labour candidate has done well to earn your wife's vote by paying attention to those small things. Shame he's let down by so many of his colleagues and his national party, who are content to run negative campaigns full of outright lies and scare tactics.

The Lib vote is collapsing at the moment and opening the door for a Tory win, which worries me greatly :(

What gives you that impression? The Lib Dems may have slipped in a couple of polls, but not by much and I take evey poll with a significant pinch of salt, especially those that showed Lib Dems in the lead after the first debate! :lol:

In northern and urban areas there are many swing voters who backed new Labour in 1997 who now rightly feel let down and are voting Lib Dem instead. In rural areas where Lib Dems have done well in recent years (for example the South East) I expect they will be squeezed by the Conservatives, but not by anywhere near as much as they are gaining from Labour.

Labour might claim to be safeguarding spending on key front line services - but in truth that means continuing to support a bloated and inefficient public sector that is actually benefitting no-one. And if Labour were to somehow get back in, I guarantee this country's economy would be in utter meltdown after another term - because they simply will not make the cuts and savings that are absolutely essential to reduce the deficit. Continuing to spend as if the deficit isn't a real problem simply isn't an option... we'd end up with UK government debt at junk status (like Greece) and be facing costly bail outs from the EU and IMF.

Tbh garc, whether it's LD or LAB, some of it just comes across as childish, tit-for-tat and desperate. It's the same at national level though, I suppose.

And I expect many see it like that. I wish we could rise above it, but sometimes the Labour lies have to be answered.

Intrerestingly enough there are some within the local group who are suggesting we over do it and send too many out. It's a matter of opinion I guess. No-one reads it all, but different people read different things, so I guess as an attempt to get some of the message across to everyone it works.

Entirely agree, and your Labour candidate has done well to earn your wife's vote by paying attention to those small things. Shame he's let down by so many of his colleagues and his national party, who are content to run negative campaigns full of outright lies and scare tactics.

I think its a charge that sits happily at every party's door that one. I think the electorate is sick of it now.

What gives you that impression? The Lib Dems may have slipped in a couple of polls, but not by much and I take evey poll with a significant pinch of salt, especially those that showed Lib Dems in the lead after the first debate! :lol:

Just the polls really and then the worry that these polls don't always stand up come election day.