General Election

Looks like we have wisely pulled out of talks.

Shame as it means moon-faced Dave and his gormless wife will be able to put the curtains they already bought up in No10.

Welcome to the ConDem Nation.

I've not really followed this thread, so apologies if someone else has raised the point... however from a Labour point of view I'd say a LibCon parliament would be best.

It's unlikely that the LibCon pact will see past 18 months, tops, and so Labour can use the time to clear the ranks, clean up their image and come back stronger.

Their performance on the back of several scandals and with a frankly inept leader has somehow proven quite strong. I'd expect them to win well in the re-election.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we have wisely pulled out of talks.

Shame as it means moon-faced Dave and his gormless wife will be able to put the curtains they already bought up in No10.

Welcome to the ConDem Nation.

You know what's happening now BT? Nick , Dave and George are standing in their smoking jackets enjoying brandy and cigars (naturally leaving the wives in the dining room) and exchanging anecdotes about school games. Oh hang on, one of them mentioned how annoyed you are. There are having a good old back-slapping guffaw about it. Right now.

I've not really followed this thread, so apologies if someone else has raised the point... however from a Labour point of view I'd say a LibCon parliament would be best.

It's unlikely that the LibCon pact will see past 18 months, tops, and so Labour can use the time to clear the ranks, clean up their image and come back stronger.

Their performance on the back of several scandals and with a frankly inept leader has somehow proven quite strong. I'd expect them to win well in the re-election.

The ConDem Nation will fail miserably. My betting is on a massive grass-roots split in the Liberals, followed by their party's total ruination in the next election. They had the chance to change the electoral system for the good of the nation and to their own advantage, and they blew it. Dreary me.

The ConDem Nation will fail miserably. My betting is on a massive grass-roots split in the Liberals, followed by their party's total ruination in the next election. They had the chance to change the electoral system for the good of the nation and to their own advantage, and they blew it. Dreary me.

Some would agree.

Just heard:

The Liberal sell out has started...

No deal on trident...

No deal on PR...

Cuts in the first year...

Three massive manifesto pledges already gone... Whats next :)

Being in opposition is going to be fun it seems :)

Nick Clegg gets to lead the country for probably around a week in about 4 months though?

Nick Clegg gets to lead the country for probably around a week in about 4 months though?

:lol:

Yeah I forgot to add in the Cleggy gets the no mark position of Deputy PM which carries no power what so ever :lol:

Its going to be fun being in opposition for a change :)

Not looked at any of this, but

The Liberal sell out has started...

No deal on trident... Hardly the biggest of issues. Easy one for either to give into though.

No deal on PR... PR or electoral reform? If they've been offered a referendum of any sort then that is a hell of a step forward against the Tory stance.

Cuts in the first year... It was only Labour and LD trying to buy votes in the first place. Sensible all round.

Three massive manifesto pledges already gone... Whats next :)

Obviously there's some give and take on this.

The change to taxation was the second big Lib Dems issue in my view (after electoral reform).

The other one I liked was the change to repeating the same mistake of slinging people in jail rather than educating them to their crimes. A spikey issue at best, and one I wouldn't expect to be dealt with.

I still think a grand coalition would have done more good, but too many people have their head up their arses to think that this was possible. That's the problem with tribal voting. Bob all gets done and the Country dies.

No deal on trident... Hardly the biggest of issues. Easy one for either to give into though.

No deal on PR... PR or electoral reform? If they've been offered a referendum of any sort then that is a hell of a step forward against the Tory stance.

Cuts in the first year... It was only Labour and LD trying to buy votes in the first place. Sensible all round.

I wonder if you count how many times Nick Clegg said Trident during the election campaign what that number would be...

I wonder if you count how many times Nick Clegg said PR during the election campaign what that number would be...

I wonder if you count how many time Nick Clegg said "no cuts this year and batter cameron over the issue" what that number would be...

You can say they werent big issues but the reality is they took up most of Nick Cleggs air time.

I always said his stance on Trident was bull:censored:. Clearly he now agrees :)

I wonder if you count how many times Nick Clegg said Trident during the election campaign what that number would be...

I wonder if you count how many times Nick Clegg said PR during the election campaign what that number would be...

I wonder if you count how many time Nick Clegg said "no cuts this year and batter cameron over the issue" what that number would be...

You can say they werent big issues but the reality is they took up most of Nick Cleggs air time.

I always said his stance on Trident was bull:censored:. Clearly he now agrees :)

Tax at a level I would say was given most time (Fairer Britain). I would like to see what happened here as it could be very good for the country.

PR moved to electoral reform (not sure if it was ever PR, but...), which appears is what they have an opportunity at.

The cuts next year was bollocks whoever was saying it. I am well in favour of cuts now. It is only sensible. Anyone against it, is frankly, an idiot. Anyone believing that it wouldn't be so, was also a complete berk.

Trident started off as scrap it. Then swiftly turned into measuring it against cost. I suspect this isn't happening, a thing I am against, but as I said give and take in this scenario.

Europe was the big thing LD seem to have given in on. I just want us to make up our minds on this issue. One way or another. Nothing gained there at all.

I've said before that to me elections are about measuring policies and picking the group that you think has the best ones. Sadly for most of the country they are 'What my dad voted' (aka what was best in 1970).

I couldn't really give a toss which headline-grabbing tax policy they go for, it's fiddling while Rome burns. A billion here or there just means nothing. The Lib Dems were making noises about reducing the deficit, now they need to man up and support the cuts that are needed to make it happen. Trident is a no-brainer for me but it seems impossible to say so and get elected, it's the public sector wage bill and welfare where the the axe really needs to fall. Sorry public sector dudes, but it's the truth.

Hopefully the libertarian strands of the ConLibs can unite and turn around some of the repressive :censored: brought in under Labour, just bin the dangerous farce of ID cards and the, "anti-terrorism laws," that give the police powers they didn't have during WW2

Oh, and was it only me who noticed Dave titting his missus up on the way through the door? I bet he took her straight upstrairs, put his Bullingdon jacket on, carefully placed a mirror and did her in the Exhibition position whilst thinking mocking thoughts about Mr Tulsehill.

The other one I liked was the change to repeating the same mistake of slinging people in jail rather than educating them to their crimes. A spikey issue at best, and one I wouldn't expect to be dealt with.

The Russian Navy could probably lay on quite effective education, and a rubber dinghy with a slow puncture is a hell of a lot cheaper than a prison.

Freed Somali pirates 'probably died' - Russian source

Forces on the Marshal Shaposhnikov freed the captured tanker

Ten suspected Somali pirates captured by the Russian navy last week may have perished after their release, a defence source in Moscow has told reporters.

Marines seized them during a dramatic operation to free a hijacked Russian oil tanker far from shore, killing an 11th suspect in the gun battle.

They were released in an inflatable boat without navigational equipment.

Within an hour, contact was lost with the boat's radio beacon, the defence source said.

"It seems that they all died," the unnamed source was quoted as saying by Russia's Interfax news agency.

Russia initially said the 10 pirates would be taken to Moscow to face criminal charges over the hijacking, but they were released instead because there were not sufficient legal grounds to detain them, the defence ministry in Moscow said.

The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, to which Russia is a signatory, gives sovereign nations the right to seize and prosecute pirates.

Western officials were very surprised when the Russian authorities dropped plans to put the pirates on trial in Moscow, the BBC's Richard Galpin reports from Moscow.

Now there is even more surprise the pirates were set adrift in the Indian Ocean to make their own way home, he adds.

Unknown factors

The tanker, the Moscow University, was seized on 5 May some 350km (190 nautical miles) off the Yemeni island of Socotra as it sailed for China, carrying crude oil worth $50m (£33m).

Marines from the Russian warship Marshal Shaposhnikov stormed the ship the following day, freeing the 23 Russian crew members who had locked themselves in a safe room after disabling their ship.

Cdr John Harbour, spokesman for the EU naval force in Somalia, Navfor, said the Russian navy had been within its rights to release the suspects.

It was, he told the BBC News website, impossible to judge their situation without knowing the details of the boat - described as an inflatable by Russian sources - and the radio beacon they had been given.

It was quite likely the Russian ship lost radar contact with the boat after an hour, Cdr Harbour said, while the signal from the beacon would depend on the strength of its battery and whether or not it could be detected by satellite.

The Navfor spokesman suggested the loss of navigational equipment would not necessarily be critical if there was an experienced mariner among the 10 men on the boat.

Stressing that nothing could be said for sure without knowledge of the boat, the weather and other factors, he noted that pirates had been known to operate up to 1,200 nautical miles (2,200km) from the Somali coast.

All I'm reading now is nothing more than party political point scoring. Red, Blue, Yellow - whatever - I'd rather like to think that each party could have the decency to forge a decent, strong government with mature debate with resolution rather than political put-downs and one-upmanship. This is a general statement: for the supporters of the each party, time to put the differences aside and stop the childish "We can't wait for this to fall apart" comments, I can envisage a smug jig being performed whilst this is being chanted.

I like the way Tory blue and Liberal yellow could make a nice green.

EDIT:

That Russian OMON/Spesnatz story is bloody funny - and is spot on. If I didn't know it to be true, I'd have sworn it was made up by those at Onion or The Daily Mash.

Hopefully the libertarian strands of the ConLibs can unite and turn around some of the repressive :censored: brought in under Labour, just bin the dangerous farce of ID cards and the, "anti-terrorism laws," that give the police powers they didn't have during WW2

Now that is something we both agree on...

You know what's happening now BT? Nick , Dave and George are standing in their smoking jackets enjoying brandy and cigars (naturally leaving the wives in the dining room) and exchanging anecdotes about school games. Oh hang on, one of them mentioned how annoyed you are. There are having a good old back-slapping guffaw about it. Right now.

Nah, they don't care about the likes of me.

Oh.

I couldn't really give a toss which headline-grabbing tax policy they go for, it's fiddling while Rome burns. A billion here or there just means nothing. The Lib Dems were making noises about reducing the deficit, now they need to man up and support the cuts that are needed to make it happen. Trident is a no-brainer for me but it seems impossible to say so and get elected, it's the public sector wage bill and welfare where the the axe really needs to fall. Sorry public sector dudes, but it's the truth.

I'm sure the repeal of that massively repressive legislation is but a matter of time away. I'm sure it's top of the list of the new libertarian alliance*.

*This does not exist.

Oh, and was it only me who noticed Dave titting his missus up on the way through the door? I bet he took her straight upstrairs, put his Bullingdon jacket on, carefully placed a mirror and did her in the Exhibition position whilst thinking mocking thoughts about Mr Tulsehill.

Nah, I noticed that personally thought he was going to christen every room there giving her a history lesson all the time. This is where Tony gave George a rim job but not a reach around etc.

The question we really need an answer to is this:

Dick Cleggeron or Nave Cameregg?

Apparently dave phoned Nick last night and invited him round for a party. "Bring your old Motown records," he said.

"I haven't got any," said Nick, "I sold my soul to the devil."

:getmecoat:

I'm sure the repeal of that massively repressive legislation is but a matter of time away. I'm sure it's top of the list of the new libertarian alliance*.

*This does not exist.

It's something that the Lib Dems will get big brownie points for and which it will cost the Tories no pain to give and most of them would be more than pleased to see it as well, I actually think it will be pretty high up the agenda. I actually think it is an area of common ground between the two (there had to be one somewhere)

The question we really need an answer to is this:

Dick Cleggeron or Nave Cameregg?

Apparently dave phoned Nick last night and invited him round for a party. "Bring your old Motown records," he said.

"I haven't got any," said Nick, "I sold my soul to the devil."

:getmecoat:

I'm test running CloggMoron, not bad, not great, in my predictive text now so fairly easy to use. You post does suggest I could amend this to Naive CloggMoron which I think has legs.