General Election

Well, despite Labour scare tactics, both the Lib Dems and Conservatives stuck to a line through out the campaign that tax credits would only be scrapped for families with higher incomes (over £50k per household rings a bell?).

It is an interesting list. Yes of course the Lib Dems have had to give ground, but their four key policy ideals stressed from the beginning of the campaign are still very much there in one form or another.

One of the most significant developments already - and something that I don't think has been mentioned yet - is the proposal to pass primary legislation fixing the term of government to five years. That means our next election will be May 2015. It strengthens the coalition by ensuring the larger partner can't suddenly make a dash to the country for a majority, and I think it's a good move generally to prevent the incumbent from picking their time. It'll be interesting to see how the detail of that legislation deals with the scenario where something happens to leave the largest party without a workable majority.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, despite Labour scare tactics, both the Lib Dems and Conservatives stuck to a line through out the campaign that tax credits would only be scrapped for families with higher incomes (over £50k per household rings a bell?).

We will see what happens with this... We will see what happens with everything... I don't trust the torys... I hope the Liberals stand strong and promote left ideals...

It is an interesting list. Yes of course the Lib Dems have had to give ground, but their four key policy ideals stressed from the beginning of the campaign are still very much there in one form or another.

We will see how much become reality... and will the Lib be prepared to say on your bike if they don't... Or will some :censored:e excuse emerge...

One of the most significant developments already - and something that I don't think has been mentioned yet - is the proposal to pass primary legislation fixing the term of government to five years. That means our next election will be May 2015. It strengthens the coalition by ensuring the larger partner can't suddenly make a dash to the country for a majority, and I think it's a good move generally to prevent the incumbent from picking their time. It'll be interesting to see how the detail of that legislation deals with the scenario where something happens to leave the largest party without a workable majority.http://www.owtb.co.uk/style_images/owtb09/folder_editor_images/rte-align-left.png

I luke warm about this... Constitutional change without a referendum... Not very liberal... Happy there is a 55% vote available...

Edited by oafc0000

This isn't a good sign. David Cameron has only

been in power for 5 minutes and already hes made a Scottish family

unemployed and homeless. :D

He lives in Fife, Bob - and he is still MP for Cowdenbeath.

It's something that the Lib Dems will get big brownie points for and which it will cost the Tories no pain to give and most of them would be more than pleased to see it as well, I actually think it will be pretty high up the agenda. I actually think it is an area of common ground between the two (there had to be one somewhere)

Jesus you were right for a change. Civil liberties is item 10 (out of 11) in the ConDem deal.

Jesus you were right for a change. Civil liberties is item 10 (out of 11) in the ConDem deal.

They weren't going to put it in front of announcing whether or not they were abolishing state education and leaving the EU now, were they? The point is that they can just go and do a lot of this stuff, an awful lot of the rest involves committees and commissions, or will just be part of the Budget, or is just principle/waffle. This is going to happen, and a very good thing too. I for one don't wish to live in an undemocratic illiberal country where the word of the ruler or the police is law.

They weren't going to put it in front of announcing whether or not they were abolishing state education and leaving the EU now, were they? The point is that they can just go and do a lot of this stuff, an awful lot of the rest involves committees and commissions, or will just be part of the Budget, or is just principle/waffle. This is going to happen, and a very good thing too. I for one don't wish to live in an undemocratic illiberal country where the word of the ruler or the police is law.

You do realise you are currently living in Abu Dhabi don't you :wink:

Edited by oafc0000

:grin:

Very good. Have you registered to vote yet in your country?

Interestingly, the Tories and the Liberals defended the House of Commons Division system (one vote is always enough to Aye or No something) during the debate on detention-without-trial extensions. The idea of introducing a one-off percentage system for the options was mooted, but dropped following widespread condemnation. Now they're getting rid of the Division system so they can't lose no-confidence votes, even if LibDems rebel. Disgusting.

:grin:

Very good. Have you registered to vote yet in your country?

I'm not even allowed to get a local phone or buy off license drink here*

Interestingly, the Tories and the Liberals defended the House of Commons Division system (one vote is always enough to Aye or No something) during the debate on detention-without-trial extensions. The idea of introducing a one-off percentage system for the options was mooted, but dropped following widespread condemnation. Now they're getting rid of the Division system so they can't lose no-confidence votes, even if LibDems rebel. Disgusting.

Not sure what to make of this one, it's a case of square pegs and round holes. If Parliament can dissolve itself whenever it likes then with a majority of any sort (coalition or one party) the fixed term doesn't mean a lot. I think the error is in trying to put a written constitutional measure into place in a part of the constitution that is still unwritten.

* I have a local phone and a fridge full of off licence beer which I purchased

Not sure what to make of this one, it's a case of square pegs and round holes. If Parliament can dissolve itself whenever it likes then with a majority of any sort (coalition or one party) the fixed term doesn't mean a lot. I think the error is in trying to put a written constitutional measure into place in a part of the constitution that is still unwritten.

I agree. The current system, which hasn't been tested for ages, is that there is a convention whereby if the House of Commons agrees to a motion of no confidence, the Prime Minister goes to the Queen to ask her to dissolve Parliament. In the House of Commons, motions of all kinds are subject to the simple but effective system of majority voting (if there are 325 Ayes and 324 Noes, the Ayes have it).

The Liberals want to do away with that because they're scared that they'll lose a no confidence vote if Liberal and/or Tory MPs rebel. It is a national scandal.

Incidentally, unless my maths is as totally wrong, 55% of 650 is 327.5 . How do you get 0.5 of an hon. Member through the Aye or No Lobby?

I don't think they've thought that one through.

It's not technically the Government's business to say how long a Parliament will be if they don't have the confidence of the Commons.

I couldn't really give a toss which headline-grabbing tax policy they go for, it's fiddling while Rome burns. A billion here or there just means nothing. The Lib Dems were making noises about reducing the deficit, now they need to man up and support the cuts that are needed to make it happen. Trident is a no-brainer for me but it seems impossible to say so and get elected, it's the public sector wage bill and welfare where the the axe really needs to fall. Sorry public sector dudes, but it's the truth.

Hopefully the libertarian strands of the ConLibs can unite and turn around some of the repressive :censored: brought in under Labour, just bin the dangerous farce of ID cards and the, "anti-terrorism laws," that give the police powers they didn't have during WW2

Yes leeslover.

This sort of thing hasn't been debated much, but it's a key thing I hate about the Labour years - all the intrusive, 'big brother' :censored:e they have implemented. It may be that it's just been a sign of the times rather than a Labour thing but, nevertheless, they have lent it weight.

Another similar thing which pisses me right off is the comical level of H & S we have to 'endure'. It could be stamped out in a flash by crushing the claims culture with legislation. How much of the deficit is wasted on that sort of rubbish? People need to accept there's a risk in life and the new government need to put a firm stop to Labour's :censored: mollycoddling.

Yes leeslover.

This sort of thing hasn't been debated much, but it's a key thing I hate about the Labour years - all the intrusive, 'big brother' :censored:e they have implemented. It may be that it's just been a sign of the times rather than a Labour thing but, nevertheless, they have lent it weight.

Another similar thing which pisses me right off is the comical level of H & S we have to 'endure'. It could be stamped out in a flash by crushing the claims culture with legislation. How much of the deficit is wasted on that sort of rubbish? People need to accept there's a risk in life and the new government need to put a firm stop to Labour's :censored: mollycoddling.

A lot of H&S comes from Europe and not Westminster...

Yes leeslover.

Health and Safety accounts for about seven eighths of Government borrowing.

A massive proportion is wasted on legal fees in cases featuring grazed knees and stubbed toes. It's awful. Let's hope the Tories stamp it out forthwith.

And let's hope those spongers who die of mesothelioma and other lung diseases and cancer and in industrial accidents get what's coming to them.

Dreary me.

A massive proportion is wasted on legal fees in cases featuring grazed knees and stubbed toes. It's awful. Let's hope the Tories stamp it out forthwith.

And let's hope those spongers who die of mesothelioma and other lung diseases and cancer and in industrial accidents get what's coming to them.

Dreary me.

Should be interesting to see what happens when Dave C follows thorough on his commitment to take us out of the human rights act as well.... :petesake:

Edited by oafc0000

Dreary me.

LOL. Health and Safety was a v.good thing when it was brought in and on death certificates there is still a tick box which is something like could this death be as a result of occupation. Meaning those people with mesothelioma who worked with asbestos, the miners and their lung cancer plus a whole host of other lung diseases can get the compo they deserve. A lot of health and safety is also public health related (and this is currently in vogue) like the smoking ban etc.

However, some of health and safety does treat the general public as idiots because sometimes sections of the general public are idiots. What health and safety don't do is distinguish between those people who take unnecessary risks because they are idiots and those who take risk because that's human nature. I'd be more than happy to see "No win No fee" lawyers banned but unfortunately a member of parliament (I think he is/was a Tory) is a "No win No fee" lawyer and acted in his own best interests.

The scrapping of ID cards is a very good thing though- as I don't know about anyone else but I carry quite a few things with my name (and sometimes a picture as well) on in my wallet. Making it complusory to carry one thing seems ridiculous when most of us carry that anyway- it won't stop terrorism (I'm fairly certain the 7/7 bombers had passports and some probably had driving licenses too) so why waste the country's money on it.

• 4 months later...
Don't you hate it when you're making you're keynote speech at your first party conference as Prime Minister and then mess it up by saying something stupid, such as, "Society is not a spectator support"?

He is really starting to get boring... He says very little or substance... Just constantly recycling the same boring phrases he has been saying for months...

We are not "all in this together", I don't believe for a second he is "rolling his sleeves up"...

I don't care who you voted for in the election or the reasoning, but the Tories are taking the piss with some of the U Turns they are doing since winning the election.

Edited by oafc0000

He is really starting to get boring... He says very little or substance... Just constantly recycling the same boring phrases he has been saying for months...

We are not "all in this together", I don't believe for a second he is "rolling his sleeves up"...

I don't care who you voted for in the election or the reasoning, but the Tories are taking the piss with some of the U Turns they are doing since winning the election.

He's seriously weak.

The family allowance thing was all about him taking on the Tories - but he forgot to tell the Cabinet that it was happening, including IDS, who will be responsible for implementing the policy. Do they not like that...

According to the currant bun, 87% agree with the policy, but the Tories absolutely hate it because it will impact on their voters most. Risky strategy. If the AV referendum happens (big if), and if the Liberals win it, the Tory backbenchers will be out for blood. If the Liberals lose, the Liberal backbenchers will be out for blood.

The whole thing is cranking up nicely for a right royal catastrophe - no thanks to Cameron himself. Carry on digging Dave!

They didn't win the election.

It gives them (and the Liberals) carte blanche to do what the hell they want with regards the manifesto's.

We are all in it together, upto our necks. Just some of us have boats and one or two of us paddles*.

*They may be rowing one handed in circles.

They didn't win the election.

It gives them (and the Liberals) carte blanche to do what the hell they want with regards the manifesto's.

We are all in it together, upto our necks. Just some of us have boats and one or two of us paddles*.

*They may be rowing one handed in circles.

That's the problem: they didn't win the election. The Liberals have done very well out of the coalition agreement, but every time the Tories come up with something dodgy, the Liberals can say, "That's not in the agreement."

The Tory backbenchers, meanwhile, hate the coalition agreement and the Liberals, for several reasons, including careerism, the compromise of it all, and the fact that a great many of them have to fight Liberals in elections.

If anything, they can't do what they want, and it's got nothing to do with Labour or the unions or a recalcitrant society.

Every leader needs to defeat their own party first, and everybody else second - think of Blair with Clause IV and and Thatcher with monetarism. I can see Cameron trying (child benefits, rape-case anonymity, the coalition agreement) but unless he scores a decisive victory, the party will just get more and more cheesed off with him. Major failed to defeat his party over Maastricht and things went from bad to worse for him.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the car crash till I get cut.

Maybe, we'll all see how it goes. It really is a strange situation (did Merkel have to beat her own party in the first term in Germany*?)

There is a distinct problem that the Liberals can never call the election, they've just got to let it run its course and hope that after five years things are sitting pretty. The Tories meanwhile can pick their time and go when things look good. Neither parties minor factions are going to vote for Christmas when they smell something similar to chicken.

The leaders can't do what they want against their party, but they can do what they want against their manifesto's. Both parties will cry this come election time. I think when it comes down to it, it depends upon how well off people are. People will vote for themselves - be that well off folks wanting to grab £2k for spitting out a kid, scroungers wanting £3 more a week, local government people out of work, or people with dead grannies due to the state of the NHS.

Labour meanwhile have to sit and wait. Nothing they can do but learn the lines from Everybody Loves Raymond and hope the Country goes to ruin. What a thing to hope for; that you have to watch Everybody Loves Raymond.

*I really have no idea.