Question about Russell Brand...

martjs

Looking for some opinions about Russell Brand's stand up show. He's coming to Seattle in a week or two. Has anyone seen him live? Is he worth seeing? Why do I think he's a to$$er? :lol:

Answers please!

Cheers,

Mart

Looking for some opinions about Russell Brand's stand up show. He's coming to Seattle in a week or two. Has anyone seen him live? Is he worth seeing? Why do I think he's a to$$er? :lol:

Answers please!

Cheers,

Mart

Like many "comedians" he is love or hate,

if you like crude comedians then I think you will like him

Edited by razza699

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Can actually be quite funny but his personality and delivery is fundamentally grating.

Not seen him live because the only think I would hand him my money in exchange for would be to see him fall over clutching his nose after I'd smacked him, but his routines always seem to just be talking about himself. Probably funny enough once so long as he doesn't annoy you so much you have to lamp him.

Not seen him live because the only think I would hand him my money in exchange for would be to see him fall over clutching his nose after I'd smacked him, but his routines always seem to just be talking about himself. Probably funny enough once so long as he doesn't annoy you so much you have to lamp him.

Brand would kick the ship out of you.

Howard's 'Good News' is cracking... akin to Charlie Brooker's 'NewsWipe' only with a more ludicrous and less satirical slant.

Wash your mouth out!

Howard similar to Brooker???? They both have legs and a respiratory system but that's where the similarity ends.

There's some Russell Brand knocking about on You tube- including a whole show of his- have a gander. Russell Howard is funny and I like his good news show but to compare him to Charlie Brooker is like comparing it the Have I got News for You- Charlie Brooker strikes me as media studies with humour where as Russell Howard is much more You've been framed in its comedy

Jesus, Russell Howard just isn't funny. He's like the kid at school desperately trying - and failing - to be funny to avoid being beaten up. I've not heard a single funny joke from him in god knows how many episodes of that show.

Good call, a perfect description of him.

There's some Russell Brand knocking about on You tube- including a whole show of his- have a gander. Russell Howard is funny and I like his good news show but to compare him to Charlie Brooker is like comparing it the Have I got News for You- Charlie Brooker strikes me as media studies with humour where as Russell Howard is much more You've been framed in its comedy

Is that not exactly what I said? One's ludicrous and the other is satirical?

The comparison also stands up. The shows are highly comparable no matter what your thoughts on the comedian are, as they both take clips from that week's TV and pass comment on them.

I can however see what people are saying about Howard and his 'look at me' style. Personally I can have a giggle at it. I'm not saying it's as cutting or as thought provoking as the likes of Brooker (or Jon Stewart from the US, which is what Brooker has copied for an English audience) just that sometimes it's nice to have a mindless giggle at something... perhaps the reason I like You've Been Framed too.

Is that not exactly what I said? One's ludicrous and the other is satirical?

The comparison also stands up. The shows are highly comparable no matter what your thoughts on the comedian are, as they both take clips from that week's TV and pass comment on them.

I can however see what people are saying about Howard and his 'look at me' style. Personally I can have a giggle at it. I'm not saying it's as cutting or as thought provoking as the likes of Brooker (or Jon Stewart from the US, which is what Brooker has copied for an English audience) just that sometimes it's nice to have a mindless giggle at something... perhaps the reason I like You've Been Framed too.

I don't think I repeated what you said. Jon Stewart is funny as- if anyone hasn't seen his stuff I'd check it out More 4 8.30 pm on a weekday (I think Monday's is a highlight show but I may be mistaken). I'd put him more towards Russell Howard than Brooker but that is a very apt comparison.

Stewart is far more political than Howard, more political than Brooker even.

The things he did whilst Bush was in power had him on wanted lists! He's cut down everyone from the far left to the far right. He's arguably one of the most intelligent people in American politics and vastly undervalued by the mainstream media as a show-pony, much as Hunter S Thompson was regarded as a drugged-up-fool (he was admittedly drugged up) for his comments on the Regan administration despite history proving him to be right on the money time and time again.

I will confess to a bias, however, as I love Stewart and his work to the extent that I queued for 4 hours to see the show live whilst I was in NYC in 2009.