Post Game Thread: Southampton

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from Purdie, Holdsworth, Jacobson, Taylor, Goodwin, and Parker that is.... :grin:

Adn that was half the team that were planned to be the first team at the start of the season.

So not only did we gain a point at Southampton, it was our Reserves wot did it.

Southampton favourites next year?-pah! :wink:

Haha, what a lovely post. That will get them back.

Can't figure out whether this means "stowaways" and is referencing people fighting back from the continent, or "stay aways" and is pointlessly having a go at those disloyal enough not to drive to Southampton on a Tuesday...

Can't figure out whether this means "stowaways" and is referencing people fighting back from the continent, or "stay aways" and is pointlessly having a go at those disloyal enough not to drive to Southampton on a Tuesday...

Third option - people are a bit simple...?

Last nights performance was so so different to Carlisle on Saturday.

Whilst we ground out 3 points in Cumbria on Saturday on a poor pitch in windy conditions, last night we played what I would still say is the best team bar none in this division and whilst under pressure for the most part shut them out, with the back "5" being outstanding. Whilst not wishing to single anyone out after that performance, I have to say that Keiron Lee was man of the match in what was his best performance in a blue (and tangerine) shirt and was a long long way from the out of sorts performance from his nightmare at Hartlepool on the 2nd January.

Apart from Furman and Worthington often needlessly giving the ball away in the 1st half, when we had possession, we played with purpose and Eaves young legs gave us a lift in the last 20 minutes after Pav had yet again run his legs off as the lone front man.

For those that criticise Pav for his lack of effort/fitness, I would say that they really must not understand how hard it is chasing down across the oppositions back line by yourself and even Eaves looked knackered before the end of his 20 minutes stint. In fact special prasie to Eaves for the way he kept the Southampton back line under constant pressure and actually robbing them or blocking passes 5 or 6 times. He was also really unlucky not to score with an excellent right foot shot from the edge of the box after he had again robbed the centre half and which the keeper only saved at the 2nd attempt with :censored: steaming in on the loose ball.

The occassional positive signs that appeared in the first 1/3 of the season but which were not there again until probably around six weeks ago as injuries took their toll and the team constantly changes are now appearing almost every game.

We actually look more threatening going forward now and it is no co-incidence that the signing of first Nardiello and then Guy and the introduction of young Eaves has changed the way we play. We are also now using the full width of the pitch a lot more often. But the biggest factor for me is that we are literally using the same 14/15 players almost every game and that is bringing consistency to our game as the players clearly understand each other better.

The introduction of Stephens last night saw us become more creative in the 2nd half, but that also allowed Southampton more scope to open us up. However, it was still the right call as we found blue shirts with more consistency after the break.

I doubt that the saints will reach the playoffs this season but believe they will, in most peoples eyes, be favourites to go up automatically next season. I also think they will be in for a big surprise next season. Firstly this season with the 10 points deduction they have really had nothing to lose and could afford to go for broke, safe in the knowledge that they were way too good to go down and in that case they might as well go for it and see where they got. Next season it will be very very different. They will start on a level playing field and will be expected to go straight up. There will be more pressure on them and that, as has been shown with Leeds, will bring it's own problems. Secondly, as we showed last night, teams will have learnt from this season how to "play against them" and they won't find it so easy. However, with the money that they now clearly have available I fully expect to see them strengthen again in the summer and that could prove the difference.

One last point. The Southampton fans must be the biggest set of moaners that I have come across in over 40 years of following the tics around the country. Every decision was greeted with howls of derision and they clearly have the proverbial chip on their shoulders. Maybe they just see themselves as too big to be in this league. In my view they are here for a reason. They don't desrve or have any right to be playing at a higher level. You get what you deserve in the long run for the way you operate both on and off the pitch. They spent more than they could afford, had to enter admin and have paid the penalty. They knew the rules and now must faces the consequences, just as Pompey are doing and Bournemouth Rotherham and Luton did last season. After what we went through in 2003 I am glad that the current rules were introduced as those clubs who run to realistic budgets won't be penalised when they have any success, as it will be sustainable. The Southampton fans need to get realistic and thats why I say congratulations to Scunthorpe for surviving in the Championship this season. Both clubs deserve what they have got this season.

The Southampton fans must be the biggest set of moaners that I have come across in over 40 years of following the tics around the country. Every decision was greeted with howls of derision and they clearly have the proverbial chip on their shoulders.

Agreed. They really got under Mrs. S's skin!

They were also very aloof in the local pubs.

One last point. The Southampton fans must be the biggest set of moaners that I have come across in over 40 years of following the tics around the country. Every decision was greeted with howls of derision and they clearly have the proverbial chip on their shoulders. Maybe they just see themselves as too big to be in this league. In my view they are here for a reason. They don't desrve or have any right to be playing at a higher level. You get what you deserve in the long run for the way you operate both on and off the pitch. They spent more than they could afford, had to enter admin and have paid the penalty. They knew the rules and now must faces the consequences, just as Pompey are doing and Bournemouth Rotherham and Luton did last season. After what we went through in 2003 I am glad that the current rules were introduced as those clubs who run to realistic budgets won't be penalised when they have any success, as it will be sustainable. The Southampton fans need to get realistic and thats why I say congratulations to Scunthorpe for surviving in the Championship this season. Both clubs deserve what they have got this season.

I have agree with that. I thought we moaned a lot at home but they were worse. Never seen anything like it.

They were also very aloof in the local pubs.

Indeed they were! And while we're on Saints-knocking, their head steward was the most obnoxious mini-hitler I've ever come across. Appapently our fans we're, and I quote; "worst than Pompey's!", in terms of causing the stewards hassle.