Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote

Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If the Election took place today who would you vote for ?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • UK Independence Party
    • Green Party
    • British National Party
    • Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • I am not going to vote
    • Spoil Vote

The economy matters more to me.

How awfully patronising. It matters to me too, which is why I'm hoping, above all, that tomorrow ends 13 years of lies, deceit, waste and reckless overspending.

We are not in a better position than the rest of Europe. In fact we're in a much worse state than most of it, barring the real basket cases like Greece.

However another 5 years of Brown overspending, carrying on with the billions of pounds of waste built up over 13 years, jeopardising the recovery with an increase in NI and yet more red tape, and ultimately failing to deal with (or even accept) the true level of the deficit he created... another 5 years of that and we will be a basket case.

I have grave concerns about what the Tories might do if they gain a majority - more so about what isn't in their manifesto than what is. But even if they get it horribly, spectacularly wrong it'd be an improvement on what we've just had.

Maybe, just maybe, the result will give the Lib Dems some influence in how the economic mess we're in is handled. Then we may be able to believe that it will be handled, but in a way that is fair; by ensuring that households with a below average income don't bear the brunt of the inevitable spending cuts and tax rises; by ensuring that the bloated and inefficient Whitehall machine Labour have created is dealt with properly, by restructuring from the very top and making the processes of government more efficient, rather than the arbitrary percentage cuts of lower management and frontline staff that the Conservatives would pursue if left to their own devices; and by splitting up the banks so the 'investment' risk takers are never again allowed to gamble away the liquidity of our retail banks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How awfully patronising.

It wasn't mentioned to be patroning it was given to be my biggest concern over all others that this election campaign has mentioned.

I agree with some of what you have stated, mistakes have been made and like all Politians lies are just the norm.

If the Libs had more substance, they would probably have my Vote, IMO Clegg is four years to early for Victory.

I still remember what is was like living and working in a conservative era. I dont fancy that again

In my industry, the UK are in a better state than most of Europe, The UK economy is steadily improving, thats what I'm hoping will be the continue direction like yourself and others

Makes me laugh people accuse Labour of scaremongering :)

Do the right thing, Vote Labour in the morning and lets maintain our schools, hospitals, economy etc...

The Libs are just going to open the door to the Torys and the Torys don't care about anyone earning less than a 100k...

Edited by oafc0000

Labour's campaign has been nothing but scaremongering, a negative campaign full of lies because htey have nothing positive to offer.

Another 5 years of Labour will ruin this country. Utterly and totally ruin it. We'd have nothing left. No industry, no banking, nothing but a gigantic, bloated public sector that does nothing but fill in forms. It'll be like some nightmare combination of 1984 and A Clockwork Orange, where peace is war, truth is fiction and people are taken away in the dead of night for daring to speak out.

There you go - that's scaremongering. <_<

If some people can't see that they've been conned by 'New' Labour, that it's a house of cards built on spin, lies and deception... if they can't see that after 13 long years, then I suppose there's little chance they'll open their eyes in the next few hours.

The polls suggest enough people will vote with their eyes open - but I won't be counting any chickens until the actual results come in. On Friday there are many, many people who will either be looking to the future with a little more confidence, knowing times will be hard for a while but that disaster has been averted, or they'll be scouring the internet trying to decide where to emigrate to.

Edited by garcon

Rubbish.... .

Labour did what needed doing after the last Tory government ruined our services. The fixed the schools, the hospitals, the police, improved life for working class people... We had 11 years of boom and then a banking crisis came along we could do little about and things are now a little tough.

Soon as it gets a bit tough you all start throwing your toys out of the pram.

The deficit is the biggiest over stated crisis in our time. It will be dealt with. In the future by the sale of the banks and in the short term by some belt tightening.

You only have to rebuild a school every 30 years.... You only have to rebuild a hospital every 30 years... The investment that has gone into education and the NHS have put those services at such a level in the torys will struggle to cut it right back.

Stop being scared by the lies and half truths of the scaremongering and right wing tory press and go out and VOTE LABOUR today :)

The Torys don't give a stuff about us. They already have revealed one tax brake for the rich (oh sorry, wealth generators as they like to call them, bollox), do you really think and the Lib Dems policies are stuff of make believe and result in a vote for the Torys today.

VOTE LABOUR

Dave Moron will tell you we are ALL IN THIS TOGETHER. Rubbish... You aren't anything like us mate.

Would like to have written a better rallying call but I got to rush off to work :)

Edited by oafc0000

The futures bright, the future is Tory

• Child Benefit - gone
  • Child trust funds - gone
  • Tax credits - gone
  • NHS funnding - reducded
  • Education funding - reduced
  • Police funding - reduced
  • Social security - reduced
  • NMW - don't expect a rise
  • Tax loop holes - not dealt with
  • Income tax up
  • VAT up

But its ok because you can set up your own school if you want and vote for police chiefs :huh:

Just a few things the Torys will do... Sorry I am scaremongering again (telling the truth)...

But its ok... No one needs help or support if you are well off ??!!! (20k+ family income, what the torys view as being well off).... :petesake:

Edited by oafc0000

Seems as good a place as any to ask... I sent off a form asking for a voting-card as I have recently moved house. Still not had it. Sent two emails asking for info both have been ignored. But I have had voting 'spam' through the door in my name suggesting I have been added to the database... anyone know what I should do as I refuse to lose my vote.

You don't have to have the card to vote. Just turn up with some ID.

If you have recently moved house and have not re-registered then you will still be registered to vote as from your previous address so go to the same polling station as before.

The council website will have details on where the pollin stations are.

The deficit is the biggiest over stated crisis in our time. It will be dealt with. In the future by the sale of the banks and in the short term by some belt tightening.

Really? Nationalised banks are worth less than 10% of the evergrowing debt whilst, ironically, 'belt-tightening' appears to be exactly what you are dead against.

You and others champion the Labour investment, however you, like they, are bewildered when it comes to how to pay for it. :dntknw:

Voting to be given something for nothing are you?

Any Labour voters on here ever banged on about how important it is for Latics to live within their means in order to safeguard their future? :lol:

Britain controls its own currency, and as all the money we owe is in Sterling - which we print - we CANNOT go bust or default like Greece.

Jesus :grin:

How awfully patronising. It matters to me too, which is why I'm hoping, above all, that tomorrow ends 13 years of lies, deceit, waste and reckless overspending.

Probably.

To be replaced with the tories? Is that a good thing?

As someone who has got off his arse and pushed lib dem leaflets through people's doors you have my full respect, it isn't a fun job and makes you envious of the Ashcroft money and direct mailshots.

I probably agree with more Lib Dem policies than I do Labour's, but for any of them to be put into practice nationally we need to make sure that the tories and unionists are not able to form a majority. Getting rid of Woolas is one thing, probably a good thing actually but splitting the anti-tory vote is always the danger.

Really? Nationalised banks are worth less than 10% of the evergrowing debt

And they will be sold at a profit covering off more than 10%...

whilst, ironically, 'belt-tightening' appears to be exactly what you are dead against.

You and others champion the Labour investment, however you, like they, are bewildered when it comes to how to pay for it. :dntknw:

Voting to be given something for nothing are you?

Any Labour voters on here ever banged on about how important it is for Latics to live within their means in order to safeguard their future? :lol:

You are being totally conned by the right wing press... A lot of the investment has already been made. You only need to rebuild a school once every 30/40 years... etc etc...

The services have been improved and that money does not need to be spent again and can now go towards controlling the debt. Cuts do need to be made and some taxes will need to rise.

I know where the Torys will cut and it will hurt the majority and benefit the few. We had 11 years of boom under labour... A couple of years of hurt... Who do you trust to return the boom... I don't trust the Torys and anyone that does is a bit of mug IMO.

If Dave and his billionaire buddies get back in power today then we would of cut of our noses to spite our face.

Edited by oafc0000

And they will be sold at a profit covering off more than 10%...

They will be sold at a loss for a figure will scratch the national debt - it wont even lose a digit.

You are being totally conned by the right wing press... A lot of the investment has already been made. You only need to rebuild a school once every 30/40 years... etc etc...

The services have been improved and that money does not need to be spent again and can no go towards controlling the debt. Cuts do need to be made and some taxes will need to rise.

I know where the Torys will cut and it will hurt the majority and benefit the few.

Then why, according to the budget, are the massive deficits set to continue? :unsure:

Get real oafc0000. Really.

There you have it folks.

If you don't have the faintest grasp of economics, or indeed reality, and if you've sleep walked through the last 13 years, vote Labour.

Everyone else, everyone with their eyes open who can see what Blair and Brown have done to our country, everyone who wants recovery instead of Greek style economic oblivion, please PLEASE PLEASE vote to get rid of the one-eyed Scottish idiot and his lunatic government.

And also remember - there are as many Labour/Lib Dem marginals as Labour/Conservative, so check how things are in your local constituency! If I haven't helped persuade you to vote LIB DEM for CHANGE that is FAIR, then at least make sure your vote helps unseat Labour!

And that means - if you live in Oldham East and Saddleworth, and you want rid of Labour and that desperate, incompetent, lying weasel Woolas, VOTE LIB DEM!!! A Tory vote will just let him sneak back in!

They will be sold at a loss for a figure will scratch the national debt - it wont even lose a digit.

You are totally wrong... We have already made something like 10 billion...

Then why, according to the budget, are the massive deficits set to continue? :unsure:

You really need to look into and learn about how national debt is controlled and managed... :petesake:

You are totally wrong... We have already made something like 10 billion...

Just another £990B to go then, until next week that is. :wink:

You really need to look into and learn about how national debt is controlled and managed... :petesake:

I wouldn't dare.

What is wrong with the budget deficit? Why is a large deficit wrong? Just because the bankers say it is? Just because the Tories say it is? (Let's not forget that when they were last in power, they produced record after record deficits. Is it wrong only if you're the Opposition?)

Why is it wrong?

In your answer, try not to make a stupid analogy, such as comparing the national finances to those of a household. The same principles do not apply.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

I won't say who I'm voting for, but what I will say is that my vote has changed since campaigning began.

Whoever you vote for, to the 17% who have put them as their option at the top...please please don't vote BNP. Here's another example of their mentality from yesterday...How many of youz are robbers?

Now the Asian guy shouldn't have spat at him, but after suffering racist abuse from a parliamentary candidate I think the most mild mannered person would be tempted to. Argue what you want about the economy, welfare, education etc, but don't let these racist barstewards pull the wool over your eyes.

Edited by jsslatic

I won't say who I'm voting for, but what I will say is that my vote has changed since campaigning began.

Whoever you vote for, to the 17% who have put them as their option at the top...please please don't vote BNP. Here's another example of their mentality from yesterday...How many of youz are robbers?

Now the Asian guy shouldn't have spat at him, but after suffering racist abuse from a parliamentary candidate I think the most mild mannered person would be tempted to. Argue what you want about the economy, welfare, education etc, but don't let these racist barstewards pull the wool over your eyes.

+1.

Wrong... The bank bailout cost about £850B...

I'm talking about the official national debt numbnuts. That being the debt which doesn't even include your £850B liability.

What is wrong with the budget deficit? Why is a large deficit wrong? Just because the bankers say it is? Just because the Tories say it is? (Let's not forget that when they were last in power, they produced record after record deficits. Is it wrong only if you're the Opposition?)

Why is it wrong?

In your answer, try not to make a stupid analogy, such as comparing the national finances to those of a household. The same principles do not apply.

Because common sense says it is. Only sensible deficits are sustainable - not excessive 'roll over' ones whereby the interest alone costs more than defence.

To use a (silly) analogy on this football board....

The national debt is currently double what the family who own City is worth whilst, this year alone, we intend to go into further debt to the tune of 15 times what Roman Abramavich is worth. That's £3000 for every man, woman and child, £6000 for each of us that pays tax. This year alone.

Just cut my tax please. And give me a benefit. And shorten my NHS waiting time. And make university free for everybody. :blahblah:

It'l be reet, the Chinese will pay - and when they get wise to us we can, wait for it, PRINT MONEY! Just ask Wardle... :lol:

The national debt is currently double what the family who own City is worth whilst, this year alone, we intend to go into further debt to the tune of 15 times what Roman Abramavich is worth. That's £3000 for every man, woman and child, £6000 for each of us that pays tax. This year alone.

And yes, Labour voters, this means that if we were to maintain current spending in a sustainable fashion then you and I would be £6k lighter thanks to greater tax bills this year.

Presumably we'll have to pay it back another year instead, or, more likely default, attempt to print our way out of it and see the pound collapse.

I'm talking about the official national debt numbnuts. That being the debt which doesn't even include your £850B liability.

Because common sense says it is. Only sensible deficits are sustainable - not excessive 'roll over' ones whereby the interest alone costs more than defence.

Just cut my tax please. And give me a benefit. And shorten my NHS waiting time. And make university free for everybody. :blahblah:

It'l be reet, the Chinese will pay - and when they get wise to us we can, wait for it, PRINT MONEY! Just ask Wardle... :lol:

You really don't get it... Like most the Daily Mail types in this country...

Because common sensesays it is. Only sensible deficits are sustainable - not excessive 'roll over' ones whereby the interest alone costs more than defence.

You mean "the Tories and the bankers"? That's alright, but I never had you down for one of them.

I agree you need to cut the deficit, but only so you can run another one up when the circumstances demand it. The difference is that Labour's current spending means that businesses can keep going. Take for instance the time-to-pay scheme, whereby HMRC forgoes immediate revenues so that businesses can keep going. If your business keeps going, you continue to employ people, sell things, and buy things. If you go under, people go on the dole, and you don't buy things from other people or produce them.

Not taking that revenue immediately means running up a deficit. Like I've said before, it's a question not of money but of priorities. The Tories want businesses to go under, Labour don't.

That's £3000 for every man, woman and child, £6000 for each of us that pays tax.

Another familiar scaremongering tactic. No one is going to get a bill for the money. A successful company will pay more tax than you, for example, so it will not cost every man woman and child or working individual anything like what you say it will. What you need is for the company to continue to exist, which means you should vote Labour.