Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote

Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If the Election took place today who would you vote for ?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • UK Independence Party
    • Green Party
    • British National Party
    • Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • I am not going to vote
    • Spoil Vote

Why? Could that be all the service they provide is worth to the person paying their wage?

Are you beginning a gradual move of your goal-posts here? :)

Why is it that the government wont allow a willing person to work for an employer willing to pay them £4/hour? :unsure:

You keep saying stuff like I am moving the goal post while not backing it up :blink:

You basically are calling hard working people in such places as checkout people as not being worth not very much based on the fact that greedy men would like to maximise there dividends instead of sharing the companies profits... Its totally the wrong type of thinking...

Going to end this conversation now as we are going nowhere, NMW is not an election issue as EVERY party accepts it is right.

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inheritance tax threshold increase will hand a tax break to 3,000 of the wealthiest families...

OK I see how that is a benefit for the richer section of society (including me potentially- I'll be honest) but it was my understanding that the Tory policy was to raise the threshold for inheritance tax to £1million, so if you are inheriting £1,000,001 you pay tax. As my understanding on inheritance goes if someone worth (or two people worth the same combined e.g. spouses) dies but more than one person inherits then the tax is on the amount they inherit individually.

OK I see how that is a benefit for the richer section of society (including me potentially- I'll be honest) but it was my understanding that the Tory policy was to raise the threshold for inheritance tax to £1million, so if you are inheriting £1,000,001 you pay tax. As my understanding on inheritance goes if someone worth (or two people worth the same combined e.g. spouses) dies but more than one person inherits then the tax is on the amount they inherit individually.

The tax is on the estate. When oh when will you replace wishful thinking with a quick check of the facts?

I really hope you're not an actual medic. You'd be one of the ones who gets done for amputating the wrong leg.

You keep saying stuff like I am moving the goal post while not backing it up :blink:

You basically are calling hard working people in such places as checkout people as not being worth not very much based on the fact that greedy men would like to maximise there dividends... Its totally the wrong type of thinking...

Going to end this conversation now as we are going nowhere, NMW is not an election issue as EVERY party accepts it is right.

Welcome to the real world - businessmen seeking alternatives to artificially over-priced labour. :shock:

Maybe they should stop being nasty, lose money and go under? That wont cost jobs. Or maybe they should increase prices to their consumers in line with their increased costs? Great way to spend extra earnings that is - paying higher denomintations of paper money for the same goods/services. Still it keeps the numbnuts electorate happy in the short-term, and that's the primary goal.... :rolleyes:

Welcome to the real world - businessmen seeking alternatives to artificially over-priced labour. :shock:

Maybe they should stop being nasty, lose money and go under? That wont cost jobs. Or maybe they should increase prices to their consumers in line with their increased costs? Great way to spend extra earnings that is - paying higher denomintations of paper money for the same goods/services. Still it keeps the numbnuts electorate happy in the short-term, and that's the primary goal.... :rolleyes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/ap...d-profits-again

Tesco profit £3.4 billion...

Yet you think the front line workers should get £5 a hour...

Yeah the NMW is costing Tesco dear....

The tax is on the estate. When oh when will you replace wishful thinking with a quick check of the facts?

I really hope you're not an actual medic. You'd be one of the ones who gets done for amputating the wrong leg.

:lol:

I want that as my sig :)

Edited by oafc0000

Surprisingly, I think you're missing the wider fundamental/economic principle. :shock:

Not at all... I am taking your real example and showing the evils and perils of your idea which NONE of the partys will back... Not even the evil troys who lied about it first time around and now say they where wrong...

I just bought a sandwich from a tiny local cafe employing two people... The owner struggle by paying them NMW... No doubt it lowers how much money she can take out of the business but it still works and she has the staff she needs...

Small company, big company... Its only greed saying NMW is wrong..

Edited by oafc0000

*Looks at the dole queue*

*rings council to complain and has a computer answer, despite them apparently having a bottomless pit of money with which to employ*

Instead of, like oafc0000, pointing out what Minimum Wage addresses in fantasy land, why not address the fundamental economics which it contradicts.

Though I don't actually believe NMW to be the be all and end all (its not particualarly that high for one) I do like the principal of having it. The idea of letting free market forces do what they want doesn't tend to result in a win win situation despite what economic theory seems to think. The best businesses in this world have either done well through slavery (or near slavery) or though investment in their workforce.

*looks at the ever increasing number of self-service checkouts at the likes of Tescos* I suppose this has got something to do with people losing there jobs because of NMW? I'm pretty sure that Tesco pay above the NMW (though someone can correct me on this if they know better). They are also making lots and lots of money despite this and are investing in many new projects creating new jobs. So how is the NMW an issue for them?

Dole queue - We had a dole queue with more in it before NMW came in, so not sure what your getting at there.

Councils - Pay higher than the NMW anyway, so you cannot blame it.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Though I don't actually believe NMW to be the be all and end all (its not particualarly that high for one) I do like the principal of having it. The idea of letting free market forces do what they want doesn't tend to result in a win win situation despite what economic theory seems to think. The best businesses in this world have either done well through slavery (or near slavery) or though investment in their workforce.

Totally agree...

I would like to see a £7.50 rate...

Totally agree...

That could hurt alot of jobs could it not? We are already losing alot of jobs to china and India due to the cheap labour they offer is increasing our labour rates mean that companies decide to upsticks and move to these countries.

That could hurt alot of jobs could it not?

No... Exactly what they said in 97...

You put £7.50 in the hands of the people, it gets spent right back into the economy...

You put £7.50 in the hands of a billionaire and that money gets locked up in his family for years...

Edited by oafc0000

Totally agree...

That is okay until you go over to East Anglia/ Norfolk and tell the farmers that they have to pay their immigrant workers £7.50 for picking fruit & veg, not sure how they would react to that but I know some aren't paying their workers NMW (at least that is what I have been told by some of a farmers workforce), on the otherside of the coin though you have chicken farms who are paying £7.50 to box up eggs, providing transport to and from work to local areas, I know of one farmer who can't get English workers to do the job even with the offer of overtime, because they don't want to work in an enviroment like that.....

That is okay until you go over to East Anglia/ Norfolk and tell the farmers that they have to pay their immigrant workers £7.50 for picking fruit & veg, not sure how they would react to that but I know some aren't paying their workers NMW (at least that is what I have been told by some of a farmers workforce), on the otherside of the coin though you have chicken farms who are paying £7.50 to box up eggs, providing transport to and from work to local areas, I know of one farmer who can't get English workers to do the job even with the offer of overtime, because they don't want to work in an enviroment like that.....

Ah well, this is where my employ an immigrant and kick out a scrounger policy kicks :P

That could hurt alot of jobs could it not? We are already losing alot of jobs to china and India not forgetting Eastern European countries, my line of work has been hit particulary hard by thisdue to the cheap labour they offer is increasing our labour rates mean that companies decide to upsticks and move to these countries.

It has already happened, and I know think that it is too late for things to turn round, hence I can't see who is going to get us out of this mess.

Edited by tangerinedreams

The impact of immigration from Europe has more to do with if we should be in or out of Europe rather than NMW... and before talking about immigration lets not forget about the number of brits moving into Europe...

The impact of work going over to China and India is due to much bigger things than NMW...

No one is seriously saying we should pay the rates Chinese people get paid ? Have you seen the slums ? Don;t be fooled by the birds nest...

Edited by oafc0000

It was my understanding I didn't say it was right and that wasn't really my point but there you go ignoring the point and finding a loophole. (As I don't want to repeat myself again when I reply to zeros see my forthcoming reply to him).

:lol:

I want that as my sig :)

Well it might be more accurate than your current one. Its not a tax break for millionaires. Its a tax break for those who aren't millionaires but are still (moderately) well off (but lets not get facts/semantics get in the way of a good soundbite).

All your other things the Tories are going to get rid off- e.g. child tax credits, are they means tested (I hope for your sake they ain't). If they aren't means tested then aren't these a tax break for millionaires (and proper ones too- not just those who are worth £1million). I will admit its a fairer tax break than the Tory idea of cutting inheritance tax.

Your signature should read ".... so the children of the rich (but not millionaires) can get a tax break"

The impact of immigration from Europe has more to do with if we should be in or out of Europe rather than NMW... and before talking about immigration lets not forget about the number of brits moving into Europe...

The impact of work going over to China and India is due to much bigger things than NMW...

No one is seriously saying we should pay the rates Chinese people get paid ? Have you seen the slums ? Don;t be fooled by the birds nest...

Big difference between immigration and migration in to and out of this country, to and from Europe, need I point it out?

NMW is part and parcel of why raw materials have been shipped out to places like China and the Far East, cheaper labour= bigger profit margin. You only have to look at the call centres to realise that, most are on NMW thus reducing profit margins, the larger companies that are in a position to relocate have done just that.

It is a classic case of the rich get richer and the poorer get poorer....... Cue Robin Hood & Dick Turpin.

Well it might be more accurate than your current one. Its not a tax break for millionaires. Its a tax break for those who aren't millionaires but are still (moderately) well off (but lets not get facts/semantics get in the way of a good soundbite).

All your other things the Tories are going to get rid off- e.g. child tax credits, are they means tested (I hope for your sake they ain't). If they aren't means tested then aren't these a tax break for millionaires (and proper ones too- not just those who are worth £1million). I will admit its a fairer tax break than the Tory idea of cutting inheritance tax.

Your signature should read ".... so the children of the rich (but not millionaires) can get a tax break"

I have already said I believe children from all families should be treated equally by the state. I am happy to pay more tax, national insurance etc if required.

Tax adults and not children. If children are due £250 towards there future, then all children should be. If I earn x amount then I should pay x amount more tax...

I don't really care if I lose child benefit from a personal income point of view, I am that much over it won't be too bad but at the level they are talking about cutting its going to have a BIG impact on a lot of families and ultimately children.

I heard an amount of £20,000 being talk about for child benefit... That is going to hurt a lot of families...

Edited by oafc0000