As recent results, with the exception of yeovil last saturday, have improved, do people still think that dave penney will leave at the end of the season? Have those recent results changed anyone's opinion on him?

My personal view is that I still want him to leave. The thought of another season with a manager who sets his teams up not to lose rather than win, and with many players who are not good enough to play in league 1, is completely uninspiring. I am only 19 but I can't remember a worse latics team, and supporting the club this season has been a chore rather than a hobby. I can no longer find anything to be proud of with latics, and being honest, I am losing my enthusiasm like I once never thought I would.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then what happens next year, when we get another manager in, we're probably going to struggle, are the fans going to inspire the team by singing get such and such a body out? it happened with talbot, it happened with moore, it happened with sheridan, its happening with penney? who's going to come here when the fans wont even give a manager half a season?

to be honest I think this season will stand us in good stead for next season. i think peney has shown he has learnt some lessons over the last 6 months and things are improving. and i think he knew alot of the players he brought in didn't have league 1 experience which is why he set his target quite low. With that experience and a pre season to get us geared up lets atleast see how the 1st 8 games or so go

I don't think there is even the remotest doubt that Penney will be here next season, but alas I think we are set for more of the same.

We have already been told there is no money so I don't see drastic changes in personnel, unless we can get Rob Purdie fit and he is one hell of a player, I don't see much changing TBH.

A Godawful appointment who has succeeded only in dragging Latics to its lowest ebb in most people's memory.

Season ticket sales will be halved, thus ensuring the playing budget for next season will be rock bottom. DP cannot perform with a half decent budget, so how people are expecting him to improve with less is beyond me.

If, as has been oft quoted, Penneys contract has a £60k dismissal clause, then I suggest TTA pay it up before the season ticket deals end, and watch the numbers increase enough to cover their outlay. If they're a little strapped for cash they could always offload Eaves - its not as if we'd miss his goals is it (?).

I agree that Latics fans are often quick to jump on a manager's back, but when you consider the dire performances we have been subjected to under DP, I think the fans were pretty patient to wait until February before the 'Penney Out' chants were heard.

No Latics manager in the last 40 years has produced such astonishingly naive tactics and weak motivation. Sharp was forced to take the job with the remit of reducing the wage bill, Talbot at least gave us a decent cup run, Ronnie's hoofball decision let him down when he'd assembled a team capable of passing its way to promotion, Ritchie needed money to bolster a poor squad, Dowie's team gave us play-off hopes (Albeit with a decent budget), and Warnock gave us a bunch of battlers but no skill or culture.

Sheridans well documented failings unfortunately affected what could have been a decent side, Royle gave us our glory years, and Frizzell worked wonders with an empty wallet. Only Wadsworth has come close to DP in the 'Worst Manager' stakes.

Penney is the reason I and many others won't be renewing this season. If TTA have any sense at all, they'll realise they only have one option, and need to move fast to avoid having to pay even more shortfalls in running costs out of their own pockets.

A Godawful appointment who has succeeded only in dragging Latics to its lowest ebb in most people's memory.

Season ticket sales will be halved, thus ensuring the playing budget for next season will be rock bottom. DP cannot perform with a half decent budget, so how people are expecting him to improve with less is beyond me.

If, as has been oft quoted, Penneys contract has a £60k dismissal clause, then I suggest TTA pay it up before the season ticket deals end, and watch the numbers increase enough to cover their outlay. If they're a little strapped for cash they could always offload Eaves - its not as if we'd miss his goals is it (?).

I agree that Latics fans are often quick to jump on a manager's back, but when you consider the dire performances we have been subjected to under DP, I think the fans were pretty patient to wait until February before the 'Penney Out' chants were heard.

No Latics manager in the last 40 years has produced such astonishingly naive tactics and weak motivation. Sharp was forced to take the job with the remit of reducing the wage bill, Talbot at least gave us a decent cup run, Ronnie's hoofball decision let him down when he'd assembled a team capable of passing its way to promotion, Ritchie needed money to bolster a poor squad, Dowie's team gave us play-off hopes (Albeit with a decent budget), and Warnock gave us a bunch of battlers but no skill or culture.

Sheridans well documented failings unfortunately affected what could have been a decent side, Royle gave us our glory years, and Frizzell worked wonders with an empty wallet. Only Wadsworth has come close to DP in the 'Worst Manager' stakes.

Penney is the reason I and many others won't be renewing this season. If TTA have any sense at all, they'll realise they only have one option, and need to move fast to avoid having to pay even more shortfalls in running costs out of their own pockets.

Anyone would think you didnt like him :wink:

Trouble is even if Penny does go we will still be left with all the cr*p he has signed , mainly on 2 year

invalidity contracts. :angry:

They've all shown flashes of what they're capable of. Maybe a decent manager with tactical nous could do a job with them?

If, as has been oft quoted, Penneys contract has a £60k dismissal clause, then I suggest TTA pay it up before the season ticket deals end, and watch the numbers increase enough to cover their outlay.

fairytales. people have given up, penney or no penney. hes just the excuse/ straw that broke the camels back.

I don't know how anyone can make a case to keep Penney. People backed getting a new guy in early so he would have the whole summer to prepare. Where has he taken us ? We almost got relegated...

I don't know... The problems at the club go beyond Penney but Penney is defiantly a problem...

Edited by oafc0000

I think we are damned if we do damned if we don't with DP. I can't see a future, I can't see beyond Charlton game at the moment.

There is no money, we have been warned about it already.The footy, well we have had moments/glimpses of what we can achieve:

The defence is sorted (if Greegs legs can hack the pace for another seasons) and we can get someone on the far post at corners. Goalkeeper? - TBA, if there is no money does Flav go back to Crystal Palace? Then we have Brill..hmmm

Midfield we need to get a grip we need an organiser someone who can thread the ball out to the wingers but who? yes we have got to play with wingers we are dangerous with wingers. Defenders don't like running backwards when attackers are on them.

Upfront is Pav the man? Hmm....only if we can find a good partner is this Guy/Eaves/Brooke?

We have no money, so who can we off load? what have we got youngster wise who can step up? who can we nick for next to nothing?

Its just a shame we don't have the relationship with Manure/city where we could knock on the door like we use to or vice versa.

So, this is the squad we have, I can't see much altering. Hopefully though, it will provide a solid enough base, well a start for next season.

Is DP the man to take the current squad into next season? Questions, questions, questions. He does though, need to build a relationship with the fans. Little things like "sorry for the crap you have just watched". "I take the blame". If he talks to us fans then maybe we could try and understand what he is up against, a daily diary/blog doesn't take much effort. A day in the life of....Training was good/bad/worked on corners/ such a player tripped over and made us all laugh. Such a player arrived late and boy was he beasted for it. Not such a kiss n'tell but Something that makes him more "human" to us fans that we can relate too. A couple of lines on the website or even on here. Hell he doesn't even have to type it but just relate the daily routine.

We have a manager who does not have a good relationship with the fans. He needs to get us on side and maybe, just maybe we can be a bit more forgiving. This needs to be sorted as without us fans the good ship OAFC is on a collision course with the worlds biggest iceberg.

If we were in a position to dismiss him then TTA may still have a decision to make, but considering that we couldnt even afford overnight stays at southampton or yeovil, I really don't know where people think TTA are going to get the £££ from to sack him.

Next season the budget will be lower, but as football has shown many times, success is not determined simply by how much you spend (if it was then leeds would have been promoted a long time ago), rather making the best of the resources you have. Prime example this season being Swindon, their wage budget is nowhere near the likes of Leeds, Charlton, Hudd or MK but they invested their resources wisely in two strikers, Paynter and Austin, who have managed to score 5 more goals between them than our entire team managed all season.

At the end of the day, players come and go, owners come and go, managers come and go, we will still be here. Penney has 12 months left on his contract and the pressure is firmly on him next season to deliver at the very least, a marked improvement in the performances. If he doesnt then he will be on his bike, simple as that.

fairytales. people have given up, penney or no penney. hes just the excuse/ straw that broke the camels back.

Sorry, but don't include me in that catch-all. Penney is the SOLE reason I won't be there.

As much as don't trust TTA an inch, as much as money is tighter, as much as parking is getting harder, and as much as away trips are nearly all over 100 miles away, none would stop me watching my team - but a useless buffoon who is killing our club week by week will do.

Sorry, but don't include me in that catch-all. Penney is the SOLE reason I won't be there.

As much as don't trust TTA an inch, as much as money is tighter, as much as parking is getting harder, and as much as away trips are nearly all over 100 miles away, none would stop me watching my team - but a useless buffoon who is killing our club week by week will do.

youve just proved yourself wrong with your other reasons

youve just proved yourself wrong with your other reasons

How exactly?

If Penney goes I'll prove you wrong.

DP = Golf on a Saturday for me.

DP Gone = Latics on a Saturday for me. Despite the 'other reasons'.

Can't put it any simpler.

By the way - When you've got 11 men behind the ball, it does sometimes appear as though your defence is "One of the best".