• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the fishal and the rarely-wrong, it's pretty obvious that DP actually EXPECTS to be here next season. Has he got some cast iron guarantee or is it wishful thinking on his part?

If the former, the TTA must get ready for the lowest crowds ever recorded and another season of the most dire football it has ever been my misfortune to watch led by a man who is tactically brainless, shows absolutely no interest in what's going on (*see below) and doesn't give a toss about the supporters. Like OutOfTheBlue has already said, only Wadsworth has got anywhere near the level of total incompetence that Penney has achieved.

If the latter, sorry to disappoint you David old chap, but if TTA have got any business acumen at all, they will see that keeping a dunce like you on the books is going to hit their pockets very hard indeed. On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if you don't really want to be at BP after all and, by totally screwing up the job (which most fans would jump at the chance of for a fraction of what you're earning), TTA might say "Thank you David and goodbye. Oh and by the way, he's a nice few spondoolies for your retirement. Enjoy."

I have already said on more than one thread that I have never, in all my years of being a Tic, felt so let down, disheartened, disillusioned, angry and totally pissed off that I don't care whether I get to a match or not. If I make it - great and I'll have a day out with people I regards as friends. If I don't make it - never mind, I can listen to Player or do other things and save wasting hard earned cash on train fares / petrol / admission money / programme / food etc, etc, etc.

As a team, we may not be far short of a decent side. Ship out the deadwood (I don't need to list them here, it's been done to death), bring in maybe only a CB, GK and striker, find the Taylor of yesteryear, find out if Purdie really exists and bring in a manager who is passionate, recognises the fans and wants to play a more adventurous style of football and we could just have a pretty good season.

* What did it for me on Saturday was seeing us in the opposition box in the 1st half with David bloody sodding Penney ambling down his technical area with his back to play, hands in pockets looking at the feckin' ground! If we'd managed to score, he wouldn't have had a sodding clue who or how. Do us a favour DP. Do the honourable thing, admit that you're crap, apologise to the fans and bugger off.

Edited by Bristolatic

Reading the fishal and the rarely-wrong, it's pretty obvious that DP actually EXPECTS to be here next season. Has he got some cast iron guarantee or is it wishful thinking on his part?

If the former, the TTA must ready for the lowest crowds ever recorded and another season of the most dire football it has ever been my misfortune to watch led by a man who is tactically brainless, shows absolutely no interest in what's going on (*see below) and doesn't give a toss about the supporters. Like OutOfTheBlue has already said, only Wadsworth has got anywhere near the level of total incompetence that Penney has achieved.

If the latter, sorry to disappoint you David old chap, but if TTA have got any business acumen at all, they will see that keeping a dunce like you on the books is going to hit their pockets very hard indeed. On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if you don't really want to be at BP after all and, by totally screwing up the job (which most fans would jump at the chance of for a fraction of what you're earning), TTA might say "Thank you David and goodbye. Oh and by the way, he's a nice few spondoolies for your retirement. Enjoy."

I have already said on more than one thread that I have never, in all my years of being a Tic, felt so let down, disheartened, disillusioned, angry and totally pissed off that I don't care whether I get to a match or not. If I make it - great and I'll have a day out with people I regards as friends. If I don't make it - never mind, I can listen to Player or do other things and save wasting hard earned cash on train fares / petrol / admission money / programme / food etc, etc, etc.

As a team, we may not be far short of a decent side. Ship out the deadwood (I don't need to list them here, it's been done to death), bring in maybe only a CB, GK and striker, find the Taylor of yesteryear, find out if Purdie really exists and bring in a manager who is passionate, recognises the fans and wants to play a more adventurous style of football and we could just have a pretty good season.

* What did it for me on Saturday was seeing us in the opposition box in the 1st half with David bloody sodding Penney ambling down his technical area with his back to play, hands in pockets looking at the feckin' ground! If we'd managed to score, he wouldn't have had a sodding clue who or how. Do us a favour DP. Do the honourable thing, admit that you're crap, apologise to the fans and bugger off.

Maybe, just maybe they have faith that a manager deserves another crack before sacking him and employing yet another manager who face the same accusations three months into the job when results don't go well.

He wouldn't be the first manager to suffer a poor first season before going on to do pretty well, as we know to well.

From a business perspective, given the competition we have for floating fans (two manchester teams playing in european competition and a dale team on the up playing good attacking football), the sympathy/fear card the club seem to rely on hopelessly just doesnt cut it any more. We can not afford to field a team who take a negative approach to the game and produce negative, boring football (regardless of whether the manager is setting the stall out negatively or the players are blatantly ignoring the managers instructions). If that's all we have to offer then people are just going to go elsewhere. It really is that simple.

The likes of Gannon at Stockport, and Danny Wilson at Swindon have shown that you do not need a mega playing budget to set your stall out positively and achieve success. It can be done, albeit with a bit of luck and ALOT of hard work along the way, but it can be done.

Maybe, just maybe they have faith that a manager deserves another crack before sacking him and employing yet another manager who face the same accusations three months into the job when results don't go well.

He wouldn't be the first manager to suffer a poor first season before going on to do pretty well, as we know to well.

I can agree with that in principle, Coco, but the majority of managers that have turned it round in their 2nd or 3rd seasons have not started off by trying to defend a 0-0 in the majority of games. And that is the main problem - the virtually constant negative tactics and baffling substitutions making us even more defensive irrespective of the state of the game. What my post is saying is that maybe, just maybe, the team isn't TOO far away from being decent (decent, not world beaters), but another, more progressive, pro-active, tactically sound manager could get a hell of a lot more out of them.

I have already said on more than one thread that I have never, in all my years of being a Tic, felt so let down, disheartened, disillusioned, angry and totally pissed off that I don't care whether I get to a match or not.

Since last season. Oh, and the other season when Moore was in charge. Oh yeah, and since that time when Talbot was the man and we we're on steady course for relegation? Oh yeah, and then when Wadsworth was in charge. Or was it when Warnock was here? They all blend into one don't they? Change a manager, get a brief flirtation with something good, then it goes bad again, then we change a manager and it happens again. And again. And again. And again.

It's :censored:e and I've lost the faith a bit. I'm not getting a ST next season but I'll still be going occasionally as a pay on the gate. But I can't honestly see how sacking Penney will result in 2,500 fans suddenly appearing and renewing ST's. It just won't happen because the budget we've put in place won't allow us more than another fall guy with their own faults and things the fans don't like. For gods sake, it's down to his body language on the touchline these days.

Since last season. Oh, and the other season when Moore was in charge. Oh yeah, and since that time when Talbot was the man and we we're on steady course for relegation? Oh yeah, and then when Wadsworth was in charge. Or was it when Warnock was here? They all blend into one don't they? Change a manager, get a brief flirtation with something good, then it goes bad again, then we change a manager and it happens again. And again. And again. And again.

It's :censored:e and I've lost the faith a bit. I'm not getting a ST next season but I'll still be going occasionally as a pay on the gate. But I can't honestly see how sacking Penney will result in 2,500 fans suddenly appearing and renewing ST's. It just won't happen because the budget we've put in place won't allow us more than another fall guy with their own faults and things the fans don't like. For gods sake, it's down to his body language on the touchline these days.

I'm not saying it will instantly produce another 2.5K on the gate. The whole point of my post was:

I honestly mean what I said - I have never, ever felt like this before. It's the closest I've come to losing The Faith.

I'm not saying it will instantly produce another 2.5K on the gate. The whole point of my post was:

I honestly mean what I said - I have never, ever felt like this before. It's the closest I've come to losing The Faith.

I agree. But perhaps with a bit of luck with injuries and a decent striker from the off rather than the great big Parker letdown we'd have added another 10-15 points onto our tally. Which would have definitely made for a different picture and given Penney was brought in to stop the rot he had done just that, despite not being a cavalier on a charm offensive? The actual point of your post was just "Boo! get rid of Penney if you have any business acumen! Boo! Even though it would mean forking on £xxxxxk on a severance package! Boo! fans are flocking in droves! Boo! I'm not giving you my money any more until you do as I say!"

I do think, my own opinions aside, that season ticket sales would more than likely be higher with someone else in charge over penney, but by as much as 2500, or to the extent that it would cover the cost of getting rid of the current management team and appointing a new one? I very much doubt it

Penney out for me. Its the only way I will renew after 20+ years as a ST holder because this season has been the most boring on record IMO. I would take my chance on anyone, but Gannon would be first choice.

Could we afford Gannon though? And would Gannon want to come here and work on a very limited budget?

I think if anyone other than Penney will be in charge next season, it will be a young unproven manager (quite possibly giving someone their first crack at management) on cheap wages, who is willing to work with such a budget.

Although in my opinion, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Could we afford Gannon though? And would Gannon want to come here and work on a very limited budget?

I think if anyone other than Penney will be in charge next season, it will be a young unproven manager (quite possibly giving someone their first crack at management) on cheap wages, who is willing to work with such a budget.

You are probably right...

Sounds like the club are sitting down with DP next week to talk about the budget... We will probably find out then if DP is staying or not...

Windass.

Penney out for me. Its the only way I will renew after 20+ years as a ST holder because this season has been the most boring on record IMO. I would take my chance on anyone, but Gannon would be first choice.

This is the exact thing that has turned my head to become a very vocal Penney 'outer' - previously I have kept stum as there isnt a logical successor, however I now firmly believe that anyone is better than Dave Penney.

I just cannot believe that any other manager (or person with even the remotest connection to football) would make the decisions he has done. That is obviously except Rafa Benitez.

Gregan, Dux, Colin, Uncle Ronnie, Brian Talbot, Stitch, Gannon - I couldnt give a :censored: . I'm sure any of those managers would actually realise that the point of the game was to actually attack. and not sign awful players. and then not play them anyway. you get my point.

You are probably right...

Sounds like the club are sitting down with DP next week to talk about the budget... We will probably find out then if DP is staying or not...

On the other side of the coin though, people seem to forget that Penney has his own record to think about. all ifs and buts I know but what if Penney feels he cannot work with the budget he is being offered (ala Paul Ince at MK Dons?) Does he take his chances and resign, with his record largely in tact, or does he plough on and make the best on what he has got?

I seem to remember Donny fans saying Penney's best days were when they didnt have a pot to piss in and he had to work on a limited budget, and that his poorer signings for them were the ones he actually spent £££ on.

anyone else get a sense of dejavu?

If the former, the TTA must get ready for the lowest crowds ever recorded and another season of the most dire football it has ever been my misfortune to watch led by a man who is tactically brainless, shows absolutely no interest in what's going on (*see below) and doesn't give a toss about the supporters. Like OutOfTheBlue has already said, only Wadsworth has got anywhere near the level of total incompetence that Penney has achieved.

I couldn't agree more here

I'll give Penney his chance after seeing some of the worst football I have ever seen this season.

Hopefully it can improve.

However can we please let someone else make the signings as they have been woeful.

Parker - Bobbins

Worthington - sirbookedalot

Purdie - little miss poorly bear

Jacobson - Play-a-few-games-be-very-average-feel-like-I've-done-enough-kick-back-and-relax

Abbott - Mr keep one step ahead by doing a little better than the rest of that shower of :censored:e.

Brill - Spoon hands

Aljofree - One game one kill BOOM

Furman - one has played oneself out of the world cup

Colbeck - I'm going run straight, straight as an Arrow

Holdsworth - Could play, would rather sit with my mates in the physio room.

I'll give Penney his chance after seeing some of the worst football I have ever seen this season.

Hopefully it can improve.

However can we please let someone else make the signings as they have been woeful.

Parker - Bobbins

Worthington - sirbookedalot

Purdie - little miss poorly bear

Jacobson - Play-a-few-games-be-very-average-feel-like-I've-done-enough-kick-back-and-relax

Abbott - Mr keep one step ahead by doing a little better than the rest of that shower of :censored:e.

Brill - Spoon hands

Aljofree - One game one kill BOOM

Furman - one has played oneself out of the world cup

Colbeck - I'm going run straight, straight as an Arrow

Holdsworth - Could play, would rather sit with my mates in the physio room.

:grin:

I wanted Penney out before April and I can certainly understand fans venting their frustration about the lack of attacking football on show so far during Penney's reign, but to have the attitude that anyone other than Penney would be better for us is frankly nonsense. MK Dons was the last game I went to and it showed that I'd much rather have Paul Ince. Our defence and midfield, while not being very creative, was very disciplined whereas Ince's side with arguably better players in it lacked any real cohesion. We had chances from set-pieces and counter attacks which could/should've been finished off and had the better of the possession.

We are in a bad but not critical situation on and off the pitch, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that things can't get any worse than they are now because I'm certain they could be.

Finally, is John Barnes in the "anyone but Penney" category?

As recent results, with the exception of yeovil last saturday, have improved, do people still think that dave penney will leave at the end of the season? Have those recent results changed anyone's opinion on him?

My personal view is that I still want him to leave. The thought of another season with a manager who sets his teams up not to lose rather than win, and with many players who are not good enough to play in league 1, is completely uninspiring. I am only 19 but I can't remember a worse latics team, and supporting the club this season has been a chore rather than a hobby. I can no longer find anything to be proud of with latics, and being honest, I am losing my enthusiasm like I once never thought I would.

He will probably leave by his own choice when he's fully shown how far we are in the brown stuff with the finances.

Example - Stockport..

It will happen this summer. Some catching up to do on points i understand at the start of next season.

As recent results, with the exception of yeovil last saturday, have improved, do people still think that dave penney will leave at the end of the season? Have those recent results changed anyone's opinion on him?

My personal view is that I still want him to leave. The thought of another season with a manager who sets his teams up not to lose rather than win, and with many players who are not good enough to play in league 1, is completely uninspiring. I am only 19 but I can't remember a worse latics team, and supporting the club this season has been a chore rather than a hobby. I can no longer find anything to be proud of with latics, and being honest, I am losing my enthusiasm like I once never thought I would.

if david penny leaves this season [sacked]i reckon's it's goodbye vienna from me ...I''ll probobly call it a day...Had enough of the fans whinging for every managers blinking head...

He will probably leave by his own choice when he's fully shown how far we are in the brown stuff with the finances.

Example - Stockport..

It will happen this summer. Some catching up to do on points i understand at the start of next season.

Why, who is going to put us into administration? The only group we own money to are TTA.