Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being religious is not the same as joining your bands fan club you know...

Just because you're indoctrinated into something doesn't make it your race. Your race does have social aspects, I accept, but if you choose to stop being a Muslim you don't stop being the race you were before - just as I stopped being a Christian as a child but I didn't stop being English/White/Western/Whatever you want to call me (don't say arse hole! :wink: ).

You TOTALLY miss the point... Why cause offence to anyone on purpose ? Why not try to respect peoples feelings...

Of course this is the ideal world. But, tragically, we don't live in that world and as such I feel compelled as part of the most oppressed 'religion' there is, Atheism, to stand up against the idea that just because some crackpot wrote a book about something you have a right to be offended. Simply, you don't - extreme or not.

Just because you're indoctrinated into something doesn't make it your race. Your race does have social aspects, I accept, but if you choose to stop being a Muslim you don't stop being the race you were before - just as I stopped being a Christian as a child but I didn't stop being English/White/Western/Whatever you want to call me (don't say arse hole! :wink: ).

I wasn't on about race you plum :lol:

Of course this is the ideal world. But, tragically, we don't live in that world and as such I feel compelled as part of the most oppressed 'religion' there is, Atheism, to stand up against the idea that just because some crackpot wrote a book about something you have a right to be offended. Simply, you don't - extreme or not.

Most the world is ideal... Its just a few turnips, yourself included, who want us all kicking it off in the streets...

I hope and fight for a better society!

As a christian I hold some ideas that may well offend some, but they are my ideas / opinions and I won't push them on someone else. Its a moral code I live my own life by. The majority of muslims are the same. The majority of atheists are the same. They don't seek to offend as this destroys society.

Unfortunately, we have intolerant idiots on the fringes of different faiths and belief groups. Hopefully the masses will continue to marginalise the idiots.

Edited by oafc0000

Indeed. And they are, almost certainly, going to be the dominant force in global economics for the foreseeable future - as their efforts to artificially create a middle class seem to be coming along swimmingly.

A dominant force in global economics indeed, but when an earthquake kills thousands of school kids because of dodgy dealings with the government/poor quality of building workmanship/lack of health and safety and that then gets covered up by the government, I shall not doff my cap to them.

I wasn't on about race you plum :lol:

In my defence, I'm very hungover :)

Most the world is ideal... Its just a few turnips, yourself included, who want us all kicking it off in the streets...

I hope and fight for a better society!

As a christian I hold some ideas that may well offend some, but they are my ideas / opinions and I won't push them on someone else. Its a moral code I live my own life by. The majority of muslims are the same. The majority of atheists are the same. They don't seek to offend as this destroys society.

Unfortunately, we have intolerant idiots on the fringes of different faiths and belief groups. Hopefully the masses will continue to marginalise the idiots.

I appreciate the ideal. I too believe that the world would be better in a 'live and let live' society. To a very large and 'practical' sense I too live by that moral.

However as an Atheist I feel constantly marginalised by our society. For example: the BBC, by law, has to be impartial when covering political matters. However it's allowed to broadcast Songs of Praise. Which claims, without foundation, that Christianity is 'correct' or 'real' or however you wish to term it, way to live life. That god is real and that Jesus is his son and so on and so forth.

How can that be justified?

You're Christian. I think you're nuts, but I have no objection to you being that way as at no point have you, personally, enforced your belief on me. However I do object to the institutional religiousness of this country and I feel I have a duty to myself and future generations to stand up to that in some way, no matter how small.

I'm not an extremist in the way the word is used these days - I don't propose blowing up churches or any such actions - but I do believe that the time has come for people to stand up for their non-belief and to move our society to a rational-thinking and scientific foundation. Not one based on a fictional book from 2000 years ago.

A dominant force in global economics indeed, but when an earthquake kills thousands of school kids because of dodgy dealings with the government/poor quality of building workmanship/lack of health and safety and that then gets covered up by the government, I shall not doff my cap to them.

Apologies if that's what you thought I was doing. Far from it. I, like Zeros, have been to China and seen first hand what their policy making brings to the poor. It's most certainly not the role-model you want for global economics. But then, equally, is the EU/US a good role model?

This, of course, is a different debate for a different topic.

In my defence, I'm very hungover :)

I appreciate the ideal. I too believe that the world would be better in a 'live and let live' society. To a very large and 'practical' sense I too live by that moral.

However as an Atheist I feel constantly marginalised by our society. For example: the BBC, by law, has to be impartial when covering political matters. However it's allowed to broadcast Songs of Praise. Which claims, without foundation, that Christianity is 'correct' or 'real' or however you wish to term it, way to live life. That god is real and that Jesus is his son and so on and so forth.

How can that be justified?

You're Christian. I think you're nuts, but I have no objection to you being that way as at no point have you, personally, enforced your belief on me. However I do object to the institutional religiousness of this country and I feel I have a duty to myself and future generations to stand up to that in some way, no matter how small.

I'm not an extremist in the way the word is used these days - I don't propose blowing up churches or any such actions - but I do believe that the time has come for people to stand up for their non-belief and to move our society to a rational-thinking and scientific foundation. Not one based on a fictional book from 2000 years ago.

So in short... You will impose your will upon people who reject your will ?

Its not going to work mate. Its just going to piss people off, raise tensions and cause civil war... History proves this...

When the war does come though, I want to be on the side of religion... Bunch of nutters not scared to die :) Plus we have god in our corner :)

SMACK DOWN TIME :D

ACKEYS going down :D

Edited by oafc0000

Apologies if that's what you thought I was doing. Far from it. I, like Zeros, have been to China and seen first hand what their policy making brings to the poor. It's most certainly not the role-model you want for global economics. But then, equally, is the EU/US a good role model?

Fair enough and yes it is.

As an Aethist Ackey, what would it take for you to become religious again?

Before anybody asks, yes I'm Atheist too - after some time being Agnostic.

So in short... You will impose your will upon people who reject your will ?

Its not going to work mate. Its just going to piss people off, raise tensions and cause civil war... History proves this...

When the war does come though, I want to be on the side of religion... Bunch of nutters not scared to die :) Plus we have god in our corner :)

SMACK DOWN TIME :D

ACKEYS going down :D

:lol:

There's a difference between Religion's 'rule' and what I hope is forthcoming. I don't propose the overthrow of Religion or the enforcement of laws based on dogma. I propose that we base our lives, laws and beliefs on science.

To do this doesn't require an overthrow or a power struggle, just the education of our children and our children's children in science and rational thinking.

Once you raise kids to be aware of the world around them and the wonders it contains you really don't have to do much more.

Without indoctrination at an early age it's proven that religion has little to no hold over people, because instead of faith and belief the actually think.

As an Aethist Ackey, what would it take for you to become religious again?

Before anybody asks, yes I'm Atheist too - after some time being Agnostic.

That's one of my favourite questions to debate with people.

It's difficult for me, as my Atheism stems less from my belief in deities and more from my opposition to dogmatic rule and organised religion. It's the reason I don't oppose people like Zeros being religious (as before, live and let live) but I do oppose the church he attends. An interesting conflict to live with, I assure you.

As a result I don't think I could ever be religious. I don't think anyone should ever give up the right to question something. To seek answers to things they don't understand.

If a being came along tomorrow which could 'prove' it was the equivalent to what we term a deity - omnipotent and omnipresent - then I would hope that people much smarter than I would start looking for how this being can do what it does.

If this being were to demand - either in the first person or in book form - that I worship it blindly I would oppose that. Being an omnipotent and omnipresent being it would then be able to remove me from existence completely, both in the present and the past, and thus remove the question in the first instance.

But it gives no moral guidance.

You don't need religion to teach right from wrong, though. Surely you can explain that killing someone is bad without resorting to threats of God smiting you with laser beams from his eyes.

As a result I don't think I could ever be religious. I don't think anyone should ever give up the right to question something. To seek answers to things they don't understand.

I don't ever remember giving that up... Religion is part of the pursuit for answers IMO...

*Just so you know, not every Christian believes in the story of creation and such like...

Edited by oafc0000

You don't need religion to teach right from wrong, though. Surely you can explain that killing someone is bad without resorting to threats of God smiting you with laser beams from his eyes.

Its not a question of "need" its a question of help / guidance...

Your parents and community leaders are just as important.

Science alone offers no guidance...

Edited by oafc0000

Scary suggestion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWBY283o5s

Science is a good thing. It helps us grow. But it gives no moral guidance.

Horse :censored:.

Your (used loosely, I clearly don't know you well enough to comment on you specifically) morals are based on a book from 2000 years ago about a deity which told you to go out and kill anyone who was a non-believer.

To this day people kill in the name of their god. To prove theirs is the one and only god. People don't kill to prove that X=Y!

Science has, can and will kill people. That's a terrible side effect of the human condition. People will abuse power and ability to harm others. But more people (to an extent that is unimaginable) have died in the defence of the dogmatic beliefs than have ever been killed by science.

And to use the A/H-bomb argument smacks of desperation.

Its not a question of "need" its a question of help / guidance...

Your parents and community leaders are just as important.

Science alone offers no guidance...

My Father is a lapsed Catholic and my Mother - god bless her - is an Atheist.

They have guided and continue to guide me without religion, as I will one day do the same to my kids.

Read the bible. If you follow it's morals then you're going to kill a lot of people real soon.