Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said anything about evolution... Or the proof for a god...

Never claimed you did. I can see now why you feel misrepresented as a christian if you jump to conclusions so easily.

What I did point out is how weak your approach is to tackle the attack on the freedom of speech from extremists while being an extremist yourself...

:clown:

Drawing a cartoon is being extremist??? Give me a break!

Rummy...

Been giving your question some thought and the only answer I can come up with is...

Prove there is no god and I will stop being religious...

You appear to be confused about the burden of proof oafc.

This is what your argument sounds like to a rational mind:

"Prove that fairies don't exist and i'll stop believing they do"

You appear to be confused about the burden of proof oafc.

This is what your argument sounds like to a rational mind:

"Prove that fairies don't exist and i'll stop believing they do"

Burden of proof... That operates along the line of I have something to prove to you... I am selling nothing...

I read about this topic on line a couple of nights ago, drawing a picture of the prophet mohammed to be banned by facebook, why has nobody banned the new invention of footwear that allows you to walk on water then?

Edit: I was listening to Parry & Townsend earlier in the week, someone has invented a shoe that allows you to run across water, if I remember rightly the person has done 14 steps running across water but you must be a good sprinter, to keep the momentum going.

Edited by tangerinedreams

Burden of proof... That operates along the line of I have something to prove to you... I am selling nothing...

You are making the claim that a god exists are you not?

And you invited us to:

"Prove there is no god and I will stop being religious"

Your mindet appears to be that you will believe in something until proven false.

And I have pointed out how fallacious an ideology that is.

You are making the claim that a god exists are you not?

And you invited us to:

"Prove there is no god and I will stop being religious"

Your mindet appears to be that you will believe in something until proven false.

And I have pointed out how fallacious an ideology that is.

I invited you to do nothing. I just answered Rummys question...

I could tell people about events / situations which lead me to believe in more strongly in god. I won't though... Its a bit pointless and will only give you guys license to ridicule...

Edited by oafc0000

I read about this topic on line a couple of nights ago, drawing a picture of the prophet mohammed to be banned by facebook, why has nobody banned the new invention of footwear that allows you to walk on water then?

Edit: I was listening to Parry & Townsend earlier in the week, someone has invented a shoe that allows you to run across water, if I remember rightly the person has done 14 steps running across water but you must be a good sprinter, to keep the momentum going.

Maybe because its not offensive to anyone ?

Have I attempted to encourage you or anyone on this thread to live by Christianity ?

Again you avoid the point by being sensitive about my wording.

I was trying to be indirect out of politeness, but I'll ask again and be more direct for you:

How do you feel about having a moral compass based on Christianity - the foundations of which are filled with bloody conflict, systematic rape and so forth?

Fascinating.

As an atheist with parents who preach in the Methodist church I often feel I'm in an interesting (although clearly not unique) position of being able to see both sides of alot of what has been discussed.

For one thing, it never ceases to amuse me when people who have never believed completely miss the irony of saying, "Prove God's existence and I'll believe in Him."

Equally, it frustrates me when people embark on the scouring of religious texts just to pick out lines with which to condemn that religion. It doesn't matter which of the main religions you pick - for every apparent message of violence and intolerance there are many more messages of peace and understanding.

Religion is no more responsible for war than science is responsible for the H bomb. People kill people, not religions and laws of nature. (Ok, if you fall out of a high window I guess you can blame physics, but you see what I mean... :unsure: )

The difference between atheism and religion is actually quite small. It is simply about where to look for the answers to the biggest questions. Why are we here? How did we get here? What else is there? I believe science has those answers, and that maybe one day we will know more of the answers than not. I also believe that science can help provide a moral compass in the form of the questions we inevitably ask ourselves in the pursuit of psychology and philosophy.

Edited by garcon

Would it ? When ?

Maybe medevil times... But thats more to them thinking you was a witch than anything else :)

Possibly, I presume you mean medieval times? In years to come no one will give a :censored: anyway, all as religion does is cause wars and unrest, best off without it.

Do you believe that you should believe something until proven false?

Is this your opinion or not?

Many a scientific development has come out of such things...

Leonardo believed it was possible for man to fly long before it could be proven right.

The concept of synthetic life was only proven yesterday yet the idea has been around for a long time..

You know, one day we will visit Pluto... Watch this space!

Again you avoid the point by being sensitive about my wording.

I was trying to be indirect out of politeness, but I'll ask again and be more direct for you:

How do you feel about having a moral compass based on Christianity - the foundations of which are filled with bloody conflict, systematic rape and so forth?

I would argue those foundations are bollocks and twisted...

I ain't avoiding anything... Other than your attempts to twist...

Fascinating.

As an atheist with parents who preach in the Methodist church I often feel I'm in an interesting (although clearly not unique) position of being able to see both sides of alot of what has been discussed.

For one thing, it never ceases to amuse me when people who have never believed completely miss the irony of saying, "Prove God's existence and I'll believe in Him."

Equally, it frustrates me when people embark on the scouring of religious texts just to pick out lines with which to condemn that religion. It doesn't matter which of the main religions you pick - for every apparent message of violence and intolerance there are many more messages of peace and understanding.

Religion is no more responsible for war than science is responsible for the H bomb. People kill people, not religions and laws of nature. (Ok, if you fall out of a high window I guess you can blame physics, but you see what I mean... :unsure: )

The difference between atheism and religion is actually quite small. It is simply about where to look for the answers to the biggest questions. Why are we here? How did we get here? What else is there? I believe science has those answers, and that maybe one day we will know more of the answers than not. I also believe that science can help provide a moral compass in the form of the questions we inevitably ask ourselves in the pursuit of psychology and philosophy.

Good post...

I invited you to do nothing. I just answered Rummys question...

Hang on, before we all start clubbing each other to death, let's go back on some of the things we said:

We know that Occams Razor states: All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best. Or, if it is used in the religious argument; disbelief is preferred.

We also know, and as PhilStarbuck has rightly pointed out, the burden of proof is with the believer: one cannot appeal to ignorance as evidence for something. Or in other words, we have no evidence that God doesn't exist, therefore, he must exist. statement is fallacious.

Bearing these two in mind, the task is actually the other way about: First and foremost, prove that there is a God.

I mean, I'd hate to be in the position of trying to prove it whilst applying Occams Razor.