New Manager: Paul Dickov

Just heard some pretty astonoshing news. Grayson is leaving Leeds to join Liverpool and wants Dickov as his assistant. Dickov has said yeah, and we are getting Frankie Bunn in charge. That's come from a mixed race right back/left back/ sub not used who plays for the club.

You're not hooking me this time, yer baaaarstard. :grin:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's onto a winner already cos there is no way he will be any worse than the last manager we had.

What a stupid comment.

Sure he seems to have a lot of things that Penney didn't personality wise but Penney kept us up, if Dickov fails to match that 'achievement' I wouldn't be surprised.

He could definitely do worse, in fact he's more likely to do worse than better at present.

What a stupid comment.

Sure he seems to have a lot of things that Penney didn't personality wise but Penney kept us up, if Dickov fails to match that 'achievement' I wouldn't be surprised.

He could definitely do worse, in fact he's more likely to do worse than better at present.

Disagree 100% :wink: Did you see us play last season? Have you got a memory of a gold fish! :blink: DP was awful, the worst manager in recent memory.

Disagree 100% :wink: Did you see us play last season? Have you got a memory of a gold fish! :blink: DP was awful, the worst manager in recent memory.

I'd argue Penney may have been the unluckiest manager we've had since Sharp.

I'd rate him above Wadsworth, and Penney did keep us up, which is more than Talbot would have done.

Things can always get worse. :wink:

It's good to hear that Dicky is the first manager under TTA to come to an interview at Latics and NOT talk about money.

This certainly suggests that cash isn't his driving force.

A 12-month rolling contract? Financially it's a wise move but it'll be just our luck that he's an enormous success and moves on after the first year!

To all those knocking his contacts - a well-liked and respected former player is more likely to be able to bring in promising youngsters on a fraction of their full salary than just A N Other, 3rd division manager, is he not?

I'd argue Penney may have been the unluckiest manager we've had since Sharp.

I'd rate him above Wadsworth, and Penney did keep us up, which is more than Talbot would have done.

Things can always get worse. :wink:

I'm writing a post detailing an assessment of our managers since Royle, to appear on here some time in the next week - but Wadsworth's plan was simply to sign every other plater in existence and yet he still finished 9th and got dicked 7-1 at home to Cardioff...would Stitch have done any worse if he's been allowed the full season? :huh:

Edited by oafcprozac

Positive appointment as far as I'm concerned.

What I want though, above all, is for the club to start feeling like a club again, a club to be proud of and get behind. Rather than, say, a dwindling group of disaffected supporters who can't muster the enthusiasm to make any noise (apart from Penney-out chants); a manager who looks like he'd rather be anywhere else; a team playing like strangers passing in the night.

If Dickov can bond the players and the fans, produce a team that gives 100% on the pitch, and give us something worth looking forward to on a Saturday again, that will be success for me.

There was no love at Latics last season and I left the ground most times wishing I'd done something else.

Just heard some pretty astonoshing news. Grayson is leaving Leeds to join Liverpool and wants Dickov as his assistant. Dickov has said yeah, and we are getting Frankie Bunn in charge. That's come from a mixed race right back/left back/ sub not used who plays for the club.

I think you need Dickov in order to establish some reliable contacts ^_^

Dickov- meh. I'm not overwhelmed by this appointment nor am I underwhelmed either. He could do very well then again at the end of the season we could be going down- which considering the financial state of the club wouldn't entirely surprise me. He is definately a cheap option though- as whilst we are probably paying him a bit we are getting two services for one- I can't see us making any loan striker signings with him as an option. It will be interesting as to who gets as his assistant and if he wants a GK coach as well (I doubt he will get that). If I was him I would be looking at sounding out Gregan to do a bit of coaching especially if he isn't as lucky with injuries as he was last year. Plus I'm unsure if he will want to keep our current backroom staff on- he'd be daft to get rid of TP but he may want rid of Dux.

One or two signings is all we need- whilst we weren't paying a great deal for Whitts I bet we weren't paying peanuts either. We need someone else to cover in midfield- but hopefully we won't be as injury decimated there as last year (so I wouldn't be buying anyone there yet). I'd also be looking to get a striker to play alongisde Pawel, with Dickov, Lewis, Brooke, and Eaves in reserve (in fact I'd be looking to offload Lewis if needs be). We do however, need a reserve centre-half as whilst JJ and Lomax are reasonable defenders they ain't really centre halfs. For that though I think we could get someone quite cheaply by looking at signing a decent youngster from a top Premiership club on loan. One of our best players last season was :censored: and he was on loan from Blackburn so there are players out there.

Surely that's tongue-in-cheek right?

Have you got a memory of a gold fish! :blink: DP was awful, the worst manager in recent memory.

:petesake:

To all those knocking his contacts - a well-liked and respected former player is more likely to be able to bring in promising youngsters on a fraction of their full salary than just A N Other, 3rd division manager, is he not?

I'd be surprised if it had much impact on it at all.

The clubs will look at playing style, how much of the wages we'll pay and recent years injury record at the club as a whole (gulp).

The player will look at the managerial & playing style, the possibility of first team football, the division and the location of the club.

If the manager was a Paul Ince, then I could see the point as just the name is a draw - but let's face it, it's Dickov; a hard trying edge of Division 1 journeyman who played for a third rate Country a few times. It's not going to have anyone salivating at his playing record.