New Manager: Paul Dickov

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not speculate with albeit a green behind the ears young manager? Right now; you’ve got to say we have nothing to loose really? Disaffected fan base; crumbling ground, poor squad etc – it can’t really go any worse than it already is can it? The only way to go for us right now is up; because we really can’t any worse than we have been surely????

People really do believe this...I wasn't alive in the 60's and 70's and was too young in the early 80's but I'm sure things have been a hell of a lot worse. Just people were far, far more tolerant and unselfish back then though.

Why on earth people think it can't get any worse is beyond me. They need to sit down and have a chat with the Darlingtons, the Chesters and the Wimbledon FC's of this world to find that one out! We have everything to lose...football league status, the club itself, professional sport in Oldham.

There's a balance between the sort of football people want to see and the sort that gets results. Unfortunately, we're at a level where winning ugly with the odd sterling performance is a winner. Few do it the Norwich way. And when they do, they've got 5 figure attendances and money coming out of their ears. I fear Dickov will give the people what they want, like Shez did and we'll get a lot of spankings trying to do it...pretty football at this level, unless you have a decent side, gets you nothing but trouble. Shez had one (half inherited, half added to) in his 1st season and was fairly successful, in season 2 it was ravaged by injuries but he had the makings of one in his 3rd season until he hacked it apart and allowed ill-discipline to reign. Once it did, that side went from decent to being spanked by the likes of Hereford and MK Scum. I hope Dickov finds the blend!

Haven't had time to watch the LP interview yet but just scanned the report. Made all the right noises for me.

Paul Dickov's Blue and White Army!

Ewwww....it just does not sound right! :disappointed:

While I'm desperate to see him succeed, it's going to take a while for this appointment to feel right.

Am i the only one who remembers the dive at BP when he was playing for :censored:ty, winning them a penalty, the cheating....I'll never forgive him....... :ranting: :ranting: ...

...unless we win games, play entertaining football and get in the play-offs, then, maybe, just maybe i'll forgive. :grin:

Good luck Paul, welcome to your own episode of Lost.

Can't agree more...it's not about questioning if he's capable...it's about turning off an utter dislike for the guy.

Football is about passion and love-hate rivalries. I presume we've supposedly become that bad, people will accept anything to find the promiseland. If it had been someone else, Robins, Hughes, Wright...would it be the same? We're all hoping for success but had it been us getting Chris Sutton (a close example) then I think we'd all be in favour as there's little back-story to him. It's appointing a :censored:ty legend that many, myself included, have hated for years which leaves a section sitting uneasy. The main thing is, for those who do feel uneasy, that they are fair with Dickov once the ball starts rolling...and don't set off on the bandwaggon and help it snowball at the first mistake. Like Shez, he'll make plenty. I just hope 3 years down the line, unlike Shez that Dickov learns from them and becomes a Latics Legend as a manager, like Shez was as a player...and hopefully sees a 4th year here (as we kick it about in the Championship).

Edited by boundaryblue80

Can't agree more...it's not about questioning if he's capable...it's about turning off an utter dislike for the guy.

Football is about passion and love-hate rivalries. I presume we've supposedly become that bad, people will accept anything to find the promiseland. If it had been someone else, Robins, Hughes, Wright...would it be the same? We're all hoping for success but had it been us getting Chris Sutton (a close example) then I think we'd all be in favour as there's little back-story to him. It's appointing a :censored:ty legend that many, myself included, have hated for years which leaves a section sitting uneasy. The main thing is, for those who do feel uneasy, that they are fair with Dickov once the ball starts rolling...and don't set off on the bandwaggon and help it snowball at the first mistake. Like Shez, he'll make plenty. I just hope 3 years down the line, unlike Shez that Dickov learns from them and becomes a Latics Legend as a manager, like Shez was as a player...and hopefully sees a 4th year here (as we kick it about in the Championship).

I agree. I hate Cheltenham Town. If Julian Alsop or Tony Naylor or, even worse, Jamie Victory had been appointed...........I'd be fuming.

A very quick thought - didn't Dave Penney make similar promises last year?

Yes. Also got the Royle seal of approval too. It's rhetoric now that sounds good but means little until we start kicking a ball about. I doubt Dickov sent an email out of the goodness of his heart either but more likely was a marketing idea of Guy Walkers. Happy to see it but just saying...

Disagree 100% :wink: Did you see us play last season? Have you got a memory of a gold fish! :blink: DP was awful, the worst manager in recent memory.

Yet successfully kept us up...not sure if anyone's told you this, but it's a results business...

Ah, I forgot...the football most be pretty! That 1st...everything else 2nd...hope Dickov gets it right coz it wasn't pretty at Hereford or MK Dons during Shez's demise...

If it's another car-boot sale squad again this season, I'll take another hard-fought, scrappy season of survival, thanks!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Frizz... :grin:

Royle had no pedigree at all

Stitch hadn't and in hindsight performed miracles

Sharp was shafted by a cost-cutting board (Could be parallels with Dicky here, we shall see... :shock: )

And Penney wasn't? We've talked aplenty (off OWTB) about the budget last season (and our views on TTA)...on Penney and Failsworth, sometimes it's like a swinging gate :wink:

Edited by boundaryblue80

At our level and budget you get two types of manager:

Type 1 - has experience. However that will be a mixture of successful and failure, and likely that the most recent experience is the latter.

Type 2 - no experience. No track record, but that also means not yet 'failed'.

You can pick holes in either type if you wish but either can be successful or a failure. Generally both types of manager need time to get things sorted and in a shape that they are happy with.

I hope Paul gets that time - I will be willing to give it to him. I was willing to give it to Sherdian, and last season Penny, but the club and large sections of the fan base were not.

I read comments on here about, survival / 5th bottom next season is a success and then kick on from there - as long as the football is entertaining. I have two thoughts about that:

1) If you have finished 5th bottom, you have lost a lot of matches and therefore its very unlikely you have been entertained.

2) People said that at the start of the last season and there were very few of them saying it in January.

Welcome Paul. Good Luck.

Excellent post.

At our level and budget you get two types of manager:

Type 1 - has experience. However that will be a mixture of successful and failure, and likely that the most recent experience is the latter.

Type 2 - no experience. No track record, but that also means not yet 'failed'.

You can pick holes in either type if you wish but either can be successful or a failure. Generally both types of manager need time to get things sorted and in a shape that they are happy with.

I hope Paul gets that time - I will be willing to give it to him. I was willing to give it to Sherdian, and last season Penny, but the club and large sections of the fan base were not.

I read comments on here about, survival / 5th bottom next season is a success and then kick on from there - as long as the football is entertaining. I have two thoughts about that:

1) If you have finished 5th bottom, you have lost a lot of matches and therefore its very unlikely you have been entertained.

2) People said that at the start of the last season and there were very few of them saying it in January.

Welcome Paul. Good Luck.

I'm not sure the range of managers to go at is quite so dichotomous but, given what our budget obviously was, I don't expect there were many choices at all really.

No Prozac, good try but not Frizz, LeeSinnot got it - Bill Shankly, he didn't do too bad in his managerial career did he, there was also a very average Scottish player called Alex Ferguson - whatever happened to him ?

As I've mentioned before, Shankly was also the most famous person ever to apprehend a fleeing villain for my grandad. Ferguson was actually the Huns top scorer for a season, what happened was that he married a Catholic girl and spent the next season playing for their fourth team.

Yet successfully kept us up...not sure if anyone's told you this, but it's a results business...

Ah, I forgot...the football most be pretty! That 1st...everything else 2nd...hope Dickov gets it right coz it wasn't pretty at Hereford or MK Dons during Shez's demise...

If it's another car-boot sale squad again this season, I'll take another hard-fought, scrappy season of survival, thanks!

Boundary, I think Ive been mis quoted here, I was defending the fact that Penney had to go, I agree Its a result business (no sh*t Sherlock) and Penney in his short tenure just didnt fit in at the club. His style of football was not pretty, he didnt get results untill we really needed them, his match notes were short without passion. 80% of his buys didnt work. We had to get a new man in, I'm not saying Dickov will be any better or worse I dont know, but one thing I will do if he puts on the pitch what he promised yesterday. I will be 100% behind the bloke, relegation struggle or not, Why, because latics fans love a manager with passion, hard work and commitment.

I'll take another hard-fought, scrappy season of survival as well thanks!

for me it must be.

we only have success once every generation so in the meantime i'd like to watch attractive football please.

is that ok with you?

Edited by HarryBosch

for me it must be.

we only have success once every generation so in the meantime i'd like to watch attractive football please.

is that ok with you?

At the end of the day we are in league one for a reason, we are not going to win all the time playing silky smooth passing football.

I realise that we will have some battles on our hands, and we will have to win a few games the ugly way.

However, what I would like to see is for us to set out our stall to win games by as bigger margin as possible, and actually have a go at teams, and save the uber cautious 'play for a draw and try to nick one on the break' approach for when needs must (ie Saints away last season).

Would also be nice to see us win a few games by more than two goals, and actually see us give another team a good hiding at least once.

is La Manga comment true or have I missed a joke?!!! :unsure:

No Mate. La Manga is the LAST place that PD will be taking Latics to pre-season. He and 2 other players got banged up there when he was at Leicester after false claims of "Sexual Aggression" were made against them.

At the end of the day we are in league one for a reason, we are not going to win all the time playing silky smooth passing football.

I realise that we will have some battles on our hands, and we will have to win a few games the ugly way.

However, what I would like to see is for us to set out our stall to win games by as bigger margin as possible, and actually have a go at teams, and save the uber cautious 'play for a draw and try to nick one on the break' approach for when needs must (ie Saints away last season).

Would also be nice to see us win a few games by more than two goals, and actually see us give another team a good hiding at least once.

+1

There were some games where DP would have got better results than Shez- Charlton, Southampton from last season, Hereford and Mk Dons the year before (all away). I'd be happy with us playing tight 11 men behind the ball football when it was a good tactic, but in some games it isn't going to be. Under shez we played some very good football but we liable to getting spanked, under DP we were never going to get spanked (in score-line terms) but we weren't likely to score many either. If Dickov can play somewhere between the two we might have a decent season- however, given the financial situation of the club I'd settle now for 19th and safety.

for me it must be.

is that ok with you?

Actually...no...not really! Because when it isn't all pretty or if it's nice but we're losing each week, you'll be the sort starting off this moaning and calling for the managers head. Which leads to where we are...dragging the club further and further backwards. So no...you'd be the type of "fan" I'd say is harming the club I want the best for!!! We've a lot of them.

Sadly for OAFC, TTA and those who want success over "pretty football"...the damage was done by "fans" like yourself long before the current manager was sacked however...irreparably!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Actually...no...not really! Because when it isn't all pretty or if it's nice but we're losing each week, you'll be the sort starting off this moaning and calling for the managers head. Which leads to where we are...dragging the club further and further backwards. So no...you'd be the type of "fan" I'd say is harming the club I want the best for!!! We've a lot of them.

Sadly for OAFC, TTA and those who want success over "pretty football"...the damage was done by "fans" like yourself long before the current manager was sacked however...irreparably!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but that Scunthorpe team that got promoted in 08/09 played a very open attractive style and got promoted on a limited budget and stayed in the championship. Its not easy and yes sometimes you have to take a number of ugly wins but you can play attractive football and progress. Blackpool are another example.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that Scunthorpe team that got promoted in 08/09 played a very open attractive style and got promoted on a limited budget and stayed in the championship. Its not easy and yes sometimes you have to take a number of ugly wins but you can play attractive football and progress. Blackpool are another example.

Not saying it can't be done...but it's a very rare thing. Didn't see much pretty about Scunny when we played them tho...indeed, one game they got battered 3-0 by with Allessandra (a player some say will never make it getting a hat-trick and a game where they got a point after ending with 9 men and cheating like f***. Wouldn't mind knowing quite how pretty Scunny really was...either way, Adkins, youth AND stability has got them where they are. Fair play to them.

And Blackpool...that season they were in a relegation scrap for the first couple of months (W1 D6 L5)...before going on a ridiculously good run. I wonder if they turned on their manager and dragged the team down like ours do...I certainly know how our lot would react with the following start to the season...

Football League One Brentford 1-0 Blackpool 05-08-2006

Football League One Blackpool 0-2 Nottm Forest 08-08-2006

Football League One Blackpool 0-1 Rotherham 12-08-2006

Football League One Bristol C 2-4 Blackpool 19-08-2006

English League Cup Blackpool 2-2 Barnsley 22-08-2006

Football League One Blackpool 1-1 Gillingham 26-08-2006

Football League One Millwall 0-0 Blackpool 02-09-2006

Football League One Port Vale 2-1 Blackpool 09-09-2006

Football League One Blackpool 1-1 Chesterfield 12-09-2006

Football League One Blackpool 2-2 Oldham 16-09-2006

Football League One Doncaster 0-0 Blackpool 23-09-2006

Football League One Carlisle 2-0 Blackpool 26-09-2006

I think it's simple what it comes down...somebody like Harrybosch wants the best for Harrybosch...somebody like myself, Futchers Briefs and Don't Worry Be Happy want the best for the club...if it means watching dog:censored: football at times, we'll take that if we pick up results, especially in a season of consolidation. As last season was. And again now, next season will be.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Not saying it can't be done...but it's a very rare thing. Didn't see much pretty about Scunny when we played them tho...indeed, one game they got battered 3-0 by with Allessandra (a player some say will never make it getting a hat-trick and a game where they got a point after ending with 9 men and cheating like f***. Wouldn't mind knowing quite how pretty Scunny really was...either way, Adkins, youth AND stability has got them where they are. Fair play to them.

I think it's simple what it comes down...somebody like Harrybosch wants the best for Harrybosch...somebody like myself, Futchers Briefs and Don't Worry Be Happy want the best for the club...if it means watching dog:censored: football at times, we'll take that if we pick up results, especially in a season of consolidation. As last season was. And again now, next season will be.

Oversimplifying it a little.

Surely you see that playing nice football is good for the club too? It gets non-going equivelants of HarryBosch going to games (like Mr Zero's for instance may turn up more often).

There's nothing like promotion to bring people in, but if we are playing nice stuff it'll stop us losing hundreds of fans like we did under Penney and Moore - when we played godawful stuff and didn't succeed.

I don't agree with turning over manager as the stuff on view isn't pretty (especially in Penney's case when it was pretty much forced onto him), but I'd rather watch a 15th positioned team playing nice stuff than a 14th positioned team playing eye-stabbing rubbish.

Now if there is potential for a manager to succeed by kick and rush - I am now in the camp of letting things be (although I didn't back Moore, I wasn't exactly bothered when he left, perhaps wrongly.)

And Blackpool...that season they were in a relegation scrap for the first couple of months (W1 D6 L5)...before going on a ridiculously good run. I wonder if they turned on their manager and dragged the team down like ours do...I certainly know how our lot would react with the following start to the season...

They did.

I think it would be abit unfair to say certain fans want best for themselves rather than the the club, and I would imagine at the start of that season their were a few muttering from the Blackpool faithful over Grayson as their would be for us.

Nevertheless I agree with your general point though that whether we like it or not the only way we are going to get out of this division or even take any kind of steps forward is by getting a plan and sticking to it over a sustained period of time. That means a manager who we stick with and back at boardroom level aswell as in the stands overnight success is not something thats likely to happen and thats what some maybe expecting.