New Manager: Paul Dickov

I am happy with this appointment as long as we get a decent no.2.

I think Dickov will be the type of manager to pull players aside to tell them he wants more/give them a bollocking, etc while the no2 is doing the coaching.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's come full circle then hasn't he. Cos unless I'm mistaken, which is highly possible, he scored his first senior goal for arsenal against us. They beat us 2 nil at highbury. Sure it was his debut goal.....

All very positive except he won't be bringing anyone in until he has assessed the current crop in pre-season !!!??

What he actually said was he would assesss them when they ame back on June 28th with a clean slate.

Ergo, June 29th we start to sign some players

:grin:

All very positive except he won't be bringing anyone in until he has assessed the current crop in pre-season !!!??

I know , he should be able to guess how good the player he currently has shouldnt he ?

He is looking at his current crop so he doesnt get in players where we have cover, i.e. LB

Dickov was part of our centre of excellence when he was 12/13 before he moved on, never knew that! He's gonna give pre-season a go with the players but if he'll be honest with himself whether he can play or not.

Lets see what this appointment brings, doesn't sound like he's got a lot of money to play with and we already have a massive squad as it is. He might need to get the best out of most of the lads we've got now. I wish him all the best and for the muppets to be patient with him.

I've googled it. He scored both goals in 2 nil defeat to arsenal in coca cola cup replay in November 94. Doesn't say if it was his first goal or not.

Can't believe I remebered that. God I'm getting old. Incidentaly, PD is our first manager younger than me, even if it is just by a few months. So now I feel even older! Arse.

I know , he should be able to guess how good the player he currently has shouldnt he ?

He is looking at his current crop so he doesnt get in players where we have cover, i.e. LB

he will only have to look at the squad on paper to see what posistions we are light in i.e centre half

I think this is a great appointment. Fans of other clubs might see him as a strange choice but he is the right man at the right time for Oldham.

We have a underperforming squad who need to be encourage to attack - Dickov should sort this

We have a lack of fire power but some promising young strikers - Dickov can play when necessary plus pass on knowledge in training

We have no money and need to utilise the loan market using local Prem teams - Dickov will potentially tap into a better class of loan signing from Man City, Blackburn, Derby, Blackpool, Leeds etc

I'm really hopefully that the likes of Chris Taylor, Dean Furman, Kieran Lee become key players for us next season under the new manager.

Everyone is on such a downer after the last year and a half but football form is fickle. The squad involved from the beginning of 2008 just missed out on the playoffs. The only difference between then & now was Lee Hughes and belief, motivation & togetherness.

Alreet, Paul. How's it going, alreet?

Two-for-one: a manager with zero managerial, or even coaching, experience AND a striker who's past it. I'm thrilled.

You don't live in Scotland or Singapore by any chance do you Stevie?

Just curious like.

:wink:

Alreet, Paul. How's it going, alreet?

Two-for-one: a manager with zero managerial, or even coaching, experience AND a striker who's past it. I'm thrilled.

Opinions, opinions, opinions eh?

You’ll never please everyone with any appointment; whoever was brought in; some would find fault whilst others proclaim them a good signing.

I actually think that whilst this is a massive gamble; it’s actually quite a progressive appointment. We’ve tried the lower league ‘cloggers’ in Brian Talbort, Ronnie Moore & Dave Penney and they haven’t worked; not in the slightest in BT & DP’s cases.

Why not speculate with albeit a green behind the ears young manager? Right now; you’ve got to say we have nothing to loose really? Disaffected fan base; crumbling ground, poor squad etc – it can’t really go any worse than it already is can it? The only way to go for us right now is up; because we really can’t any worse than we have been surely????

If he (PD) manages to transplant even a quarter of his passion for the game; his ethos around effort & workrate; his knowledge of & reading of the game onto our players then we are bound to see an improvement over last season surely?

Whilst it isn’t an appointment to sing about from the rooftops – it just might not be a bad one as far as a club like us is concerned.

Oh, welcome to Oldham Paul, good luck – you’ll get my support – all the best & here’s hoping to a long & fruitful working relationship with OAFC.

Edited by slystallone