New Manager: Paul Dickov

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if it had much impact on it at all.

The clubs will look at playing style, how much of the wages we'll pay and recent years injury record at the club as a whole (gulp).

The player will look at the managerial & playing style, the possibility of first team football, the division and the location of the club.

If the manager was a Paul Ince, then I could see the point as just the name is a draw - but let's face it, it's Dickov; a hard trying edge of Division 1 journeyman who played for a third rate Country a few times. It's not going to have anyone salivating at his playing record.

hes played for citeh blackburn n leeds in id say our locallity...so he will undoutedly have some knowledge of there youth setups...he states in his interview that he is a good friend of grayson...plus he played at leeds last season....he rates joe royle as one of best manager he has played under...so again some useful pulling power..

i think in all reallity it is the best appointment we could have made,he is young keen hungry to prove himself..wants to play the game how he used to play it in his prime which is what we have been crying out for since dowie.....i just hope he is backed by board and fans alike and given time to prove himself,and get us up...

good luck to him. havent got LP but reding the interview on the website, he seems keen and he wants to succeed. he doesnt come with any sort of reputation so im sure we'll have an interesting season. ill be backing him and as long as he gets something out of the team, il be happy.

I'd be surprised if it had much impact on it at all.

The clubs will look at playing style, how much of the wages we'll pay and recent years injury record at the club as a whole (gulp).

The player will look at the managerial & playing style, the possibility of first team football, the division and the location of the club.

If the manager was a Paul Ince, then I could see the point as just the name is a draw - but let's face it, it's Dickov; a hard trying edge of Division 1 journeyman who played for a third rate Country a few times. It's not going to have anyone salivating at his playing record.

I take it you would have dismissed the credentials of this guy had he applied for the Latics job in the 1950s;

"One of 49 locals from the Ayrshire village of Glenbuck who made it as a professional footballer, plying his trade with Partick Thistle, Carlisle,and Preston North End".

Who was this journeyman who played just 5 times for as you call it - for a third rate country, who had the temerity to think he could successfully manage lower division football league clubs ?

Edited by BP1960

I take it you would have dismissed the credentials of this guy had he applied for the Latics job in the 1960s;

"One of 49 locals from the Ayrshire village of Glenbuck who made it as a professional footballer, plying his trade with Partick Thistle, Carlisle,and Preston North End".

Who was this journeyman who played just 5 times for as you call it - for a third rate country, who had the temerity to think he could successfully manage lower division football league clubs ?

Jesus, I'm only young and even I know that.............I think.

Shankly?

I take it you would have dismissed the credentials of this guy had he applied for the Latics job in the 1960s;

Frizz... :grin:

Royle had no pedigree at all

Stitch hadn't and in hindsight performed miracles

Sharp was shafted by a cost-cutting board (Could be parallels with Dicky here, we shall see... :shock: )

Dowie had briefly been a coach/caretaker boss at QPR

Shez had coached for a couple of years

Dickov...????? Who knows but he's got my backing, there seems a quiet determination about hom rather than the smiling 'just happy to be here' approach from DP!

PAul Dickov's Blue and White Army

When he comes off the bench - to the oppo and our own players - Dicky's gonna get yer, Dicky's gonna get yer...

Edited by oafcprozac

Correct ..and would not have been considered under OldhamSheriden's criteria.

Course it was! D'oh!

Dalglish had no managerial experience either and despite horrendous injury problems within his small squad - ok he spent a bit too he won a couple of pots.

3 league titles

2 FA Cups

1 Double

And a couple more losing finals and I dare say he would have gone on and won maybe another European Cup in his 5 years at as Anfield boss. Ok our boss won't have a pot to piss in but jocks do make good managers (mostly) and I get the feeling it won't be for the want of trying.

Frizz... :grin:

Royle had no pedigree at all

Stitch hadn't and in hindsight performed miracles

Sharp was shafted by a cost-cutting board (Could be parallels with Dicky here, we shall see... :shock: )

Dowie had briefly been a coach/caretaker boss at QPR

Shez had coached for a couple of years

Dickov...????? Who knows but he's got my backing, there seems a quiet determination about hom rather than the smiling 'just happy to be here' approach from DP!

PAul Dickov's Blue and White Army

When he comes off the bench - to the oppo and our own players - Dicky's gonna get yer, Dicky's gonna get yer...

No Prozac, good try but not Frizz, LeeSinnot got it - Bill Shankly, he didn't do too bad in his managerial career did he, there was also a very average Scottish player called Alex Ferguson - whatever happened to him ?

Edited by BP1960

Welcome Paul and good luck. Might need a bit sometimes :grin:

Just regarding backroom staff that RudeMedic mentioned, I cannot see TP going anywhere at all. TTA have always maintained under the many, many managers we have now had that it is not in the remit of the manager to start tinkering with the youth setup at all. It works and that's that.

At our level and budget you get two types of manager:

Type 1 - has experience. However that will be a mixture of successful and failure, and likely that the most recent experience is the latter.

Type 2 - no experience. No track record, but that also means not yet 'failed'.

You can pick holes in either type if you wish but either can be successful or a failure. Generally both types of manager need time to get things sorted and in a shape that they are happy with.

I hope Paul gets that time - I will be willing to give it to him. I was willing to give it to Sherdian, and last season Penny, but the club and large sections of the fan base were not.

I read comments on here about, survival / 5th bottom next season is a success and then kick on from there - as long as the football is entertaining. I have two thoughts about that:

1) If you have finished 5th bottom, you have lost a lot of matches and therefore its very unlikely you have been entertained.

2) People said that at the start of the last season and there were very few of them saying it in January.

Welcome Paul. Good Luck.

I take it you would have dismissed the credentials of this guy had he applied for the Latics job in the 1950s;

So, I gather through this that you think that it wasn't his 'contacts' at Preston, Carlisle and Partick that got him all his good players in and he stood as much chance as the next manager (at his level) at getting a player signed from other clubs. Which I think was the point I was making. It's about bigger things than having played two/ten years ago for the club a young lad is at.

The managerial contacts in the game may be good for a mentor type thing (advice on how to deal with certain aspects of man management for instance), but for signing players, give me a break. You put your offer in, you take your chances.

Dickov is hardly a footballing legend and therefore won't pull players in through his name alone, like some seem to think.

I'm neither here nor there with Dickov. I know nothing of his abilities. I still think he was a cheaper option taken by TTA as opposed to a more experienced head.

Opinions, opinions, opinions eh?

You’ll never please everyone with any appointment; whoever was brought in; some would find fault whilst others proclaim them a good signing.

I actually think that whilst this is a massive gamble; it’s actually quite a progressive appointment. We’ve tried the lower league ‘cloggers’ in Brian Talbort, Ronnie Moore & Dave Penney and they haven’t worked; not in the slightest in BT & DP’s cases.

Why not speculate with albeit a green behind the ears young manager? Right now; you’ve got to say we have nothing to loose really? Disaffected fan base; crumbling ground, poor squad etc – it can’t really go any worse than it already is can it? The only way to go for us right now is up; because we really can’t any worse than we havonto our players then we are bound to see an improvement over last season surely?

One thing I've learn't in my 40+ years watching Latics is that no matter how bad we are, we can always get worse. We certainly can next year, we could be relegated for a start.

Talbot, Moore and Penney didn't work. Well that's not surprising as they didn't get a chance. Given a decent amount of time who knows, but most fans decided within a couple of months they weren't for us and they were gone within a year.

Dickov's main advantage is that expectations are pretty low this time round, but give it time. Unless he's given a good few years to build something (by the fans and the board), we'll probably be in the same boat in 12 months time, looking for manager no 10 in 10 years.

Good luck Paul. You're sure as hell going to need it.

One thing I've learn't in my 40+ years watching Latics is that no matter how bad we are, we can always get worse. We certainly can next year, we could be relegated for a start.

Talbot, Moore and Penney didn't work. Well that's not surprising as they didn't get a chance. Given a decent amount of time who knows, but most fans decided within a couple of months they weren't for us and they were gone within a year.

Dickov's main advantage is that expectations are pretty low this time round, but give it time. Unless he's given a good few years to build something (by the fans and the board), we'll probably be in the same boat in 12 months time, looking for manager no 10 in 10 years.

Good luck Paul. You're sure as hell going to need it.

Have you thought about doing the motivational speech circuit? :grin: That comments typical of the dour negativity at the club, try and cheer up FFS! New Manager new season! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: