ernie cooksey flag

Just watching ' Football's Greatest...' on SS1 and it features Holland V England at Euro '88....there's a jock off Union Jack ?? (St George with Union Flag in Top Left Corner) with Oldham Athletic on it in the stands....anyone on 'ere ?

The owner of that flag lives in Shaw cannot remember his name but he drinks in the pineapple he offered me the chance to take it over but said no.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it at the Algeria game? Did anyone see it? I had a good look (well no-one could be expected to maintain interest in what was on the pitch) but i couldn't spot it.

It was there somewhere. You'll need to let if off though - it's seen plenty of crap in the last 12 months.

Indeed they can't but they could point out the Ernie Flag and include a timely reminder about the danger of sun-damaged skin, under the 'banner' of health education.

They could but since ITV is not a publicly funded company it doesn't have to include health promotion unless it gets paid, the BBC on the other hand...

They could also do it as it's a nice (in a remembering someone way) story that people like to hear.

I would think there would be next to no other flags with much of a story behind them.

I doubt they (BBC or ITV) know anything about it though. And I'm not sure what time they have in their schedule for mentioning this type of thing.

Go look on a map- Africa's most Southerly point is something called Cape Agulhas and its about 200 km from Cape Town.

+1 Correct....

Cape Point is the most Southerly Western point... I know because I was there last week and had my photo taken there :D

Edited by oafc0000

I am presuming it was the Ernie Flag that got a mention on 909 tonight about 18.55pm ?? I was listening to the build-up of the Spain game and the BBC pundit said without prompt to the Spanish football pundit that he bet it was probably the first time the Spaniard had seen an Oldham Athletic flag at a Spain game, and then reeled off a couple of other English clubs that were also represented....

Edited by Yard Dog

I am presuming it was the Ernie Flag that got a mention on 909 tonight about 18.55pm ?? I was listening to the build-up of the Spain game and the BBC pundit said without prompt to the Spanish football pundit that he bet it was probably the first time the Spaniard had seen an Oldham Athletic flag at a Spain game, and then reeled off a couple of other English clubs that were also represented....

If it was someone should have popinted it out to him that they would have seen it earlier if only some :censored: hadn't stole it in Seville

No it wasnt, it was a flag taken by a lad a few of us know, Magoo.

Latics and england do you know if the Latics fans are coming to Bloemfontain tomorrow? I saw the flag in Cape Town but obviously dont know where they was sat

I would love to meet them !

Edited by razza699

The Shaw gawbie flag was mentioned on radio five live prior to one of the commentaries whilst the presenter was going through some of the flags on view. Said something along the lines, "another say's shaw gawbies, whatever shaw gawbie's means, I don't know."

Anyway I see a death of this thread now

Edited by Lags